35%
  • Acdc premium 90 votes
    37%

(241 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern_trio.jpg
image.jpg
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Hi there,
Well, i was just wondering which one gets the best staying power.
Played only 3-4 games on Metallica and for me it's the best art package of a stern machine but not a Metallica fan ( except nothing else matters i don't like another song)
Played more than an hour on Tron and it feels great to me.
Never Played acdc
Can you rank the difficulty to reach the final and the lastability ?
Thanks

Edit: is there a vault edition planed of Tron or metallica?

#2 8 years ago

Tron and Metallica are great.

If I had to have one it'd be Tron. SOS is one of the best modes in pinball. And the game basically forces you to make every shot to progress so it stays interesting. The music/sound package is immersive, and it makes you want to play one more game.

Everytime I play ACDC I just pick hells bells, backhand the left ramp for jam multiball, and collect the song jackpot and repeat (using VIP passes to get 2X playfield when necessary). That seems to be the safest prevailing strategy to accumulate the most points, but it gets repetetive.

Metallica is great, again, it forces you to make multiple shots to succeed. The Crank It Up modes are intense, and the multiball rules are great.

All of these machines are winners though, but I'd pick Tron first, then Metallica and then ACDC.

#3 8 years ago

Metallica gets my vote, there all extremely awesome games though, either way cant go wrong..

#4 8 years ago

This is an impossible choice.....These are 3 of the best pros ever made.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

This is an impossible choice.....These are 3 of the best pros ever made.

I agree. All three games are near the top of the list for Stern. They just come down to preference.

Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

Everytime I play ACDC I just pick hells bells, backhand the left ramp for jam multiball, and collect the song jackpot and repeat (using VIP passes to get 2X playfield when necessary). That seems to be the safest prevailing strategy to accumulate the most points, but it gets repetetive.

Patient: Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: So don't do that!

This happens to a lot of people with AC/DC. They use a tournament strategy in normal play, get locked into it, and forget about the rest of the game. How about not picking your song, and starting where the game starts you? One of the coolest parts of the game is the way it changes by the song. Walk up, press start, and launch whatever song is there. Then try to be the high score in that song. Why just play the prevailing strategy instead of having fun all over the game?

So to the OP, all 3 are great games. They all have complete rules already in the game. All 3 have fans, and all 3 have detractors. But even people that don't like one of them know the games are still great.

#6 8 years ago

I've tried forever to like Metallica. I first played the pro when it came out, later I played it when I was deciding to get it or IMVE. Later I played the premium thinking I'd like that better. Just the other day I played Met pro again, after all so many people say it's the best. But never did I think it was all that great. I love the art package and the metal ramps and the grave markers. I don't love the way the ball is stopped at the pops on loops so often, I don't love Sparky as much as other people. I do not really care for the songs in Metallica they are too droning whereas ACDC songs are up beat and kicking ass. I don't like the call outs on Met at all. Overall to me it's clearly the least fun on you list (just my opinion) but by far it's Tron/AcDc premium (and I can't decide between those and IM so that's my top 3).

On Met, I don't think there is a signature shot like Gem on Tron or Bell shot on AcDc or center shot on IM.

I think Tron is better overall than AcDc for me because I live the theme, immersion via the call outs and music and sound effect it's my favorite pin. There's not a thing I don't like on Tron. I love the short, simple rules and SOS, some people say it's too easy but to me it's just right as I'm not the greatest player. Love the third flipper with the Gem shot as well as the side ramp. Love the Quarra shot to feed the upper flipper. Overall just about a 10 in every way.

To me AcDc is more fun sometimes than Tron because of the atmosphere where you got the great lights like a concert and the great songs and the call outs by SR are fantastic and great pressure shots for big points. AcDc has more rules than Tron, they are quite complex, I still am learning some of the nuances. I like how each song gives a different mission and makes the game play different and you can get song high score. I like the lower PF on AcDc but wish it was more integral or coded somewhat more. It's fine but could be better. I like the cannon on AcDc but sorry it blocks so much of the inlane and out lane.

I'm going to add IM here because it's also short rules shorter than Tron but it's a blast, great theme great call outs great intensity. Overall it's lightning in a bottle. Kind of a mix of intensity of AcDc and fits together 100% like Tron without a bad shot to be found.

Tron and IM I love to death, I don't need to have a good score or a long game to love playing it. I can have three balls in under 2 minutes and it's still fun. A game like SM or XM or Potc if I don't make strong progress on a game it's not as fun. I think Tron and IM being so short it lets you see a lot of what there is in a shorter time.

#7 8 years ago

I don't have Played acdc yet but what i know is i don't like the playfield art, horrible Photoshop touch IMO.

#8 8 years ago

@rai:

The signature shot on Metallica is probably the Fuel lane, especially with a repeating right ramp combo during double scoring.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

@rai:
The signature shot on Metallica is probably the Fuel lane, especially with a repeating right ramp combo during double scoring.

I was thinking the mystery hole.

I'll admit I'm not an expert player and don't get deep into the rules CIU etc. but just to me the flow/shots on Met don't feel as fun as the other two.

I really wanted to like Met I've gotten price quotes several times but whenever I play it I think it's just not the game for me.

I do think Met is well made and probably has great rules and nice shots jus the gameplay never did enough for me. It's fine just not great in my opinion. I may be odd though because I never really got into LOTR by all accounts people love.

I bought Tron NIB never having played it, and loved it from the first game and never had a bad game on it. Just seems to hit the right buttons for me.

#10 8 years ago

ACDC premium is an intense in your face thrill ride- awesome flow and deep rules. I prefer it over both Tron and Met pro. However, Met Premium still carries a slight edge over ACDC premium due to the excellent variety of interactive toys- also love the Dirty Donny Monsters artwork on the playfield, translite and cabinet.
If you want that high adreniline rush, go for the ACDC premium.

#11 8 years ago

As others have said -- all are really good and fast playing games, but have different types rules. Do you like to gamble big scoring opportunities and classic rock? ACDC Pre. Do you like speed, flow, sound, third flipper, and Sci Fi? Tron. Do you like metal music and some grind before the game starts to come together? Met.

One thing no one mentioned was price. I don't know the market in France, but in the US, the games are approx (for stock): $4500 (Met), $5200 (Tron), and $6500 (ACDC).

My preference is Tron > Met > ACDC Pre. But, I have played all three extensively and Tron is the one that I *just like* more. However, I understand why other people like the other games more.

#12 8 years ago

The game that lasts is the game you enjoy playing. Going for big points is one thing but a game should be fun to play in general. The theme, music, and layout should all be something you enjoy. All three of those are some of the best Sterns but everyone has their own tastes. I don't care for the music of Metallica or ACDC. Both are fun to play for different reasons but I rather have other pins. The one time I played Tron, I couldn't get into it because I was not familiar with the rules. I wouldn't limit your choices to just these pins.

#13 8 years ago

Acdc prem rocks. Never leaving, but I love the music.

#14 8 years ago

My preference. (All 3 kick ass BTW)

Tron and AC/DC are a wash. If I had to lean it would be AC/DC because you specified the premium version.

I think Met art is the best looking of the 3 and is an awesome game as well. Ball times are just a little too long compared to the other two, so for me anyway, it would be my last choice.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I love the short, simple rules and SOS, some people say it's too easy but to me it's just right as I'm not the greatest player.

Easy?! I like to think I'm a decent player but I can only get to SOS about once every 20 games

#16 8 years ago

I can't decide between acdc premium vs met pro. I own both, and love them equally. I wouldn't want acdc pro however. Tron is fun, but not one for me to own as I thought it seemed to easy at times. The music pins get the blood pumping better, and just rock. All 3 are top options though.

#17 8 years ago

My pick would be ac⚡️dc the game has great music, it's really fast and the bell and cannon are great toys.

#18 8 years ago

Based on the info the OP provided I recommend Tron, then Met, then ACDC.

#19 8 years ago

I like acdc music but hate the art package. It's the opposite for Metallica.
Tron seems to be the best compromise for me.
The only fear i have is it seems to be a little too easy. I got the sea of the simulation after the first hour i played it.
I don't play it again. I know that i missed some missions to reach portal. It is said that this final is quite hard.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I like acdc music but hate the art package. It's the opposite for Metallica.
Tron seems to be the best compromise for me.
The only fear i have is it seems to be a little too easy. I got the sea of the simulation after the first hour i played it.
I don't play it again. I know that i missed some missions to reach portal. It is said that this final is quite hard.

Listen, I've gotten to Portal twice in one game before, and it's still my favorite machine (never beaten it though).

I apologize, because I don't speak French, but Tron just has that "je ne sais quoi"!

Metallica is a close second, but I'm with you on the music. They're not my favorite! Honestly, if you would have told me 2 years ago I'd have a Tron and Metallica machine in my house, and that I would cherish them both as if they were my children I would have laughed!

Anyway, Tron is the perfect machine. It's a machine that you can flip on the fly or play controlled. You can play it if you have 5 minutes or 50 minutes. The sounds and lights and modes are perfect. Everything works so well together. Also, it feels completely capable to be achieved in 1 ball, so you never feel frustrated or that you need to restart mid-game.

Tron is really the only machine that doesn't make me mad when I lose, but instead makes me play again.

#21 8 years ago

Such a tough decision, all three are my favourite top 3 Stern Pins.
Flip a 3 sided coin, or wait until the first one comes up for sale at the right price.
I am still waiting for Stern to release a Tron VE.
Either way, you won't be disappointed with your choice.

#22 8 years ago

That's nice incensing words for this game. Yes my friend, " cette machine a quelque chose de plus que les autes"
I know price is completely different but is the limited edition worth to break the bank compared to pro edition?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from ChoppaCade:

Such a tough decision, all three are my favourite top 3 Stern Pins.
Flip a 3 sided coin, or wait until the first one comes up for sale at the right price.
I am still waiting for Stern to release a Tron VE.
Either way, you won't be disappointed with your choice.

Is A Tron vault edition announced and planed?

#24 8 years ago

Tron VE hasn't been announced or planned, just wishful thinking that sometime in future Stern may consider it.

#25 8 years ago

Also met pro is much more affordable

#26 8 years ago

That's nice incensing words for this game. Yes my friend, " cette machine a quelque chose de plus que les autes"
I know price is completely different but is the limited edition worth to break the bank compared to pro edition?

I prefer the premium/LE version of Metallica, but saying that the pro is still very good with plenty of bang for your buck

#27 8 years ago

Not really in France..Tron has been produced before. So it seems to be cheaper today. Both are not so many for sale

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from ChoppaCade:

I prefer the premium/LE version of Metallica, but saying that the pro is still very good with plenty of bang for your buck

Buddy, i was talking about tron answering to jakenjoi

#29 8 years ago

Buddy, i was talking about tron asking to jakenjoi

No worries, the problem with Tron in UK is the price is quite high for a used machine. If you can get one at a reasonable price I would be going with that since you have already said you are not a fan of the music of Met or the artwork on ACDC

#30 8 years ago

ac/dc > met > tron

that's about it!

#31 8 years ago

You don't need an LE to enjoy Tron. I only bought the LE because a friend was selling! (I had a Pro before)

#32 8 years ago

I own all three (well my Metallica is an LE, not a Pro).

All are great games, my three favorite Sterns probably. If I had to rank them in terms of which I would sell first if I had to move them for emergency cash or something I'd sell ACDC, then Tron, then Metallica. Just my personal preference.

#33 8 years ago

Tron = Pinball Zen

#34 8 years ago

Starting modes is one thing, finishing them is quite another. Getting to SOS isn't that hard, but getting to Portal is very hard (on a correctly setup machine). That is part of the tease. Oh, you didn't complete the modes? Just clean them up in SOS and go to the Portal... or crash and burn. It is a brilliant mode. It looks so easy, yet it will crush you over and over again. There is something about draining out of SOS that is more depressing than most games. I always feel like a couple more good shots would have done it, but that is just the lie I tell myself.

#35 8 years ago

I had all three. Sold ACDC pro got the premium. Have Met Pro. Had Tron pro and sold it.

If you do not like Metallica songs don't get the game. I'm pretty sure I would not get a Justin Beiber pin no matter how great the game play.

For me ACDC and Met are tied. Was Luke warm on Tron but to each his own.

Out of the 7 Stern pins I have, I play ACDC prem, Met pro, kiss prem and Twd Le all equally. Love them all!

#36 8 years ago

Tron

image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 8 years ago

Met for me by a mile and I am not a fan of the band, I don't own any records and have never seen them live. Don't plan to either but the pin is brilliant.

#38 8 years ago

Hmmm....Met or Tron for sure.

Wizard mode of those 2, both are tough. Been a couple shots away from on MET, and been to portal a few on Tron, but I've played Tron a lot more. Both are very challenging.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Starting modes is one thing, finishing them is quite another. Getting to SOS isn't that hard, but getting to Portal is very hard (on a correctly setup machine). That is part of the tease. Oh, you didn't complete the modes? Just clean them up in SOS and go to the Portal... or crash and burn. It is a brilliant mode. It looks so easy, yet it will crush you over and over again. There is something about draining out of SOS that is more depressing than most games. I always feel like a couple more good shots would have done it, but that is just the lie I tell myself.

TRON is easy to understand, but definitely not easy to conquer ( by a mile)...it's pure pinball horsepower and immerses you in gameplay like no other....a must have if you can get one, imo

#40 8 years ago

If Tron LE was here, it would have my vote all the way... However, I can't deny how much I love AcDC prem

#41 8 years ago

ACDC Luci is the worst non buy of my collecting years.
We were selling the house, I moved, then waited for TWD instead.
Idiot = me. A mistake I seriously wish I could undo.

Any ACDC Premium/LE--Best of this bunch--although Tron is excellent too.
The old Lawlor vs Ritchie debate, and I know Lawlor did not do Tron, but he may as well have.
Borg ate Lawlor and assimilated him (should be a mode in the game--defeat Borg and free Lawlor).

Metallica - that annoying post in the top middle can be disabled, and then you have a better flowing machine IMO.

#42 8 years ago

Close race, I wouldn't be surprised if the final votes were all within a few percent of each other.

When I said Tron rules were simple or short I didn't mean it was an easy game more that it was a basic easy to understand rule tree with a great mid-wizard mode SOS.

I've never even reached Portal but I believe it's within reach.

#43 8 years ago

TRON Pro for sure for me of those 3 versions. All 3 titles are must owns at some point for ones collection.

#44 8 years ago

Not really a fair comparison, why not make this even across the board and make all the games Pros? AC/DC Pro would be trailing in that poll...badly.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Not really a fair comparison, why not make this even across the board and make all the games Pros? AC/DC Pro would be trailing in that poll...badly.

Or LE's........

#46 8 years ago

Tron Pro is awesome - and you can only do the "ricochet Gem shot" on a Pro BTW.

That would be my pick of the 3 for sure.

#47 8 years ago

Cool lightning bolt!

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

TRON Pro for sure for me of those 3 versions. All 3 titles are must owns at some point for ones collection.

I have sleepless nights at the moment if Iron Man is also a must own game....

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Met is holding up pretty well imo especially for a considerable price difference between everything

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

basically i found acdc art package horrible. So if i would buy one it would certainly Not the pro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-vs-metallica-pro-vs-acdc-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.