• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
splitter.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Ok guys - just took the plunge and ordered my first NIB pin - Tron Pro. Can't wait to get it. I've spent a lot of time reading and I've seen a lot of the mods possible. What I am really interested in are what are the MUST HAVES. Specifically, what things should I get and add on before I play it too much to keep it in as good of shape as I can. Cliffy protectors are at the top of the list and I just emailed about those. I'll order the who kit. I have also heard the pinbits plastics protectors should be on the list. Does anyone know if the Trons come with the leg protectors? Definitely want those. What else can you think of? Thanks for the help!

#2 11 years ago

New trons come with metal cabinet protectors to keep the legs off the wood of the cabinet. You don't need protectors.

If you're going to buy the Arcade and the Flynn sign, it's easiest to do them at the same time because both wires run down behind the scoop.

If you plan on going balls-to-the-wall with mods, you're probably going to need a splitter, depending on who you are getting your mods from or doing them yourself. I make 1->4 splitters for the front of the cabinet power connector, but all my mods plug into that, not into the stuff in the head or whatever. I know a lot of the guys selling ready-to-go mods are using the one in the head and I don't know if the pinout is different. All I can tell you is that my splitter uses the same connectors as the PIG and is the Stern standard 5v/12v/ground 3-pin plug. Kimball's Pinball also sells splitters of different sizes for the same plug.

#3 11 years ago

Gotta have the Arcade mod, Flynn sign, Hallmark light cycles, and Lighted recognizer mod for sure!
Yes, you will need splitters to run all these mods. When Eli is done with his lighted ramp mod, you'll need that too. Enjoy Tron, great game to mod!

Kevin

#4 11 years ago

The real must-haves are proper playfield slide rails, button protecting side rails, and if you want to get fancy, a real lockdown bar and receiver:

Playfield supports: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1956
Side rails: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1747
Lockbar receiver: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1285
Lockdown bar: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2090

As far as "mods" the LCD arcade cabinet is really nice. The controlled ramp lighting mod looks like it will be amazing when released, as well.

#5 11 years ago

What is the stern playfield slide support for? Haven't heard anybody talk about that. And is the lockdown bar really needed? I did here of a few people where the bolt was rubbing on the decal. Talked with stern and they said it won't be happening again. What do other people think about these 2 things? Anybody else have issues?....I'm not crazy about that side rail button protector because you need to screw into the cabinet. I'd rather do clear plastic, or something that's not permanent

#6 11 years ago

The slides are what used to come standard on all pinball machines so you can pull the playfield out and forward to work on it. A year or two ago Stern stopped putting them on their pro models, and replaced them with static pegs that don't allow the playfield to be pulled out. LEs and Premiums still have the slides. Basically they're a must-have if you want your playfield to be nicely accessible when cleaning it, fixing issues, re-rubbering, etc. You can see the black pegs on the right side of this picture, to give you an idea of how far the playfield could slide out before the rails were installed: http://www.pinballlife.com/images/products/secondary/535-6862-05_set-2.jpg

As for the side rails, I never put those extra screws in (including in some games that I have on location) and they're absolutely fine without them. I wish you could buy them without the screw holes!

Lockdown bar, you could say it's not necessary, but again it's something that is in the LE/premium games (and before a couple of years ago, all games) and I greatly prefer it to the cheaper latch system. It's easy to swap on in its place. It's probably the least important of the three, I just like having the best possible hardware and making all my games work the same way. It's weird to me to have one odd-man-out machine that has a cheap lockdown bar alongside games that have proper lockbars.

#7 11 years ago

Playfield support #1 than followed by arcade cabinet 2.1 everything else is gravy.

#8 11 years ago

The latch-bar may be "Cheap" to us, but keep in mind it's been pretty much an industry standard in the arcade scene for well over 30 years. It works fine, and I don't have any issues with mine. It's tighter than a lot of my lock bars on other games.

I also haven't needed the slide rails, but they do make certain things a LOT easier. =\

#9 11 years ago

Playfield rails (pegs suck)
Cliffy ramp protectors
Mantis protector for arcade hole
Lots of wax and enjoy!

#10 11 years ago

Slide rails are a preference, not a must. If you do a lot of playfield work, buy them. I couldn't justify it myself. The lock down bar is also not needed. If you want your machines to all have a certain style of lock down then sure, waste of money imo. I do not like the look of the full button side rails.

In the end, think about what you see and if you like that look. Some of the mods that people love are pricey, if you don't like them once installed it's a waste of money.

Stick to playfield mods like LEDS, shaker motor etc. Maybe start small.

#11 11 years ago

I also just ordered my first NIB Tron Pro - I have a few additional questions.

I had read you should put some mylar over the edges of the arcade hole before installing the mantis protector. Is this a good idea?

Are there any alternatives for the flipper button area protection? I always used the stealth protectors that can no longer be ordered due to the owners illness.

I also ordered the Cliffy shooter lane / kick out metal protector has anyone else used this and what are your thoughts.

Any opinions on which plastic protectors look better Little Shop of games or PinBits?

Are there any BlackLight light bulbs available to give a similar look to the arcade machine maybe under the slings or out-lanes?

Are new aftermarket pinballs really necessary?

#12 11 years ago

IMO the pinballs that come with stern games are not acceptable. They just don't have the right shine for a new game. I replaced them but not necessary a they are not pitted or anything. Check Pinbits they have Blacklight bulbs but out of stock, its a cool effect.

Pinball life has protectors like the Stealth ones but some say they don't pull off good. I can not verify. I used them they look good.

I used the Cliffy shootout protector, it has no issues and I always trust cliff.

As for musts the Ramp protectors from Cliff is on my list. The arcade mod is a must if you want to wow the world. Also the Tron Cycles and and and

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

I had read you should put some mylar over the edges of the arcade hole before installing the mantis protector. Is this a good idea?

Yes, absolutely. If you're going to use a Mantis and not a Cliffy, install mylar around the scoop.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

I also ordered the Cliffy shooter lane / kick out metal protector has anyone else used this and what are your thoughts.

I like 'em a lot. MUCH better than buying a new playfield every so often because of damaged wood.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

I like 'em a lot. MUCH better than buying a new playfield every so often because of damaged wood.

LOL!

It's very easy to install as well. Speaking of which, I got the Doctor Who kit and sleeves in the mail. Installed them yesterday. STUPID easy to put in, another awesome set.

#16 11 years ago

Where do u get the mantis protectors? And what is the difference from cliffys?

#17 11 years ago

http://www.mantisamusements.com/protector.htm

I think the mantis protects the wood in the scoop while cliffy protects the area above the scoop. Cliffy's requires a slight adjustment every few hundred games. Easy to do and takes little time to do so.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

. I wish you could buy them without the screw holes!</

You know, I just bought a set last week from pinball life and they didn't have the screw holes. I don't know if this is the new standard or just a fluke. I like them better without the holes too!

Ry

#19 11 years ago

Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses. I have already ordered the cliffy protectors and the recognizer and zuse target bank sticker mods. I have a deposit on the Arcade Mod. Just waiting for them to be finished. I plan to buy the light cycle mod, recognizer mod, the sliding supports, and the full rails with button protector. Also, Eli's rail kit will be a must have when he finished it. Blue DMD is on the list too. I hope he has a good stock because they are going to go quick.
A few follow on questions though:
1. Does the shaker make that much of a difference?
2. Should I upgrade the speakers and if so, which set should I buy?
3. Can I add the mantis arcade hole protector AND the cliffy protector?
4. Are the pinbits protectors good to have?
5. Since I'll have several mods that require power connections, which splitter is the best to get?
6. Read about the PIG. Is it worth getting?

#20 11 years ago

A few follow on questions though:
1. Does the shaker make that much of a difference?
2. Should I upgrade the speakers and if so, which set should I buy?
3. Can I add the mantis arcade hole protector AND the cliffy protector?
4. Are the pinbits protectors good to have?
5. Since I'll have several mods that require power connections, which splitter is the best to get?
6. Read about the PIG. Is it worth getting?

1) I think the shaker is awesome in Tron, very well integration into the game (I've got mine set on maximum). It's very cool.

2) I have the Flipper Fidelity speakers and they definitely make a big difference over the stock ones. A lot of guys leave the stock speakers in a hook up an external sub, and that's cool to do as well (I've also tried both and it's crazy in terms of the overall sound). I'd recommend to upgrade the speakers as I think it's definitely worth it.

3) If you've got the Cliffy you're good to go, you won't need to put in a mantis as well (so just the Cliffy will suffice).

4) I've installed the pinbits protectors and I think they look great (and to also protect the plastics).

5) Doesn't really matter which splitter you get, they are all the same (ie. they'll do the same job). Below is the one that Kim from Kimalls Pinballs made for me.

6)PIG is cool, I ordered one but haven't put it in yet.

splitter.JPGsplitter.JPG

#21 11 years ago

I confirmed with Terry at Pinball Life that the new rails with button protectors DO NOT have holes for screws. It only comes with the standard rails from Stern - correct?

Also, getting ready to order some mods from Kim. Like the lightcycle mod, but now there is an option to have them on an acrylic platform. Anyone have good pictures of them both?

Thanks!

#22 11 years ago

I have Kim's interactive light cycles and Tron mini arcade V2.1 for sale if anyone is interested. Brand new, just tested working 100%.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

I have Kim's interactive light cycles and Tron mini arcade V2.1 for sale if anyone is interested. Brand new, just tested working 100%.

Just pm'd!

#24 11 years ago

Pinballtoppers.com backbox speaker light kits. Great bang for your buck. I got the identity disc acrylic inserts with it.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 11 years ago

Thanks. What's the best place to get the blue dmd?

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Blind_Willie:

Pinballtoppers.com backbox speaker light kits. Great bang for your buck. I got the identity disc acrylic inserts with it.

Those are very cool. I always figured that I'd replace the DMD if I ever got a Tron, but the blue speakers next to the orange DMD make the DMD look much more integrated with the theme.

11 months later
#27 10 years ago

I too!, Got the pinballtoppers backbox light kit,,, and YES ,,, they are very nice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-must-haves and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.