Topic poll

“tron huo or 3rd run NIB”

• Tron first run 9 votes
    53%
  • Tron 3rd run 8 votes
    47%

(17 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

I can either purchase a huo tro pro first run 3d translite or my seller will let me have a NIB 3rd run un opened what should I do? same price on both.

#2 10 years ago

Do you like the 3D translite a lot more than the others? If so, get the HUO. If not, get the NIB.

#3 10 years ago

From what I understand the latest run has ramp protectors and plastic guards where the legs mount? not 100% on this. Also I believe first run had gas plasma DMD and now they're LED dmd (red vs orange).

Why not go NIB? You get a warantee and it's brand new, no plays. (disclosure: should be getting my latest run TRON soon!)

#4 10 years ago

That's retarded. You're basically paying them a 500$ profit (keep in mind that 3d's were only like 4200-4300 shipped, not 4800) for a translite, and getting a used pin. A used pin without leg plates (Think the very last run of 3d's had them?), with fuzzier (but screened...your call on which you would rather deal with..) cabinet art, and a plasma DMD that will soon be obsolete. I would take the new one all day long. If you don't even care about the translite, you can probably turn around and sell the 'chicks' translite without even trying. I'd offer you 150 for it right on the spot, anyways.

I'm prob. in the minority, but I was really happy with my Clu translite until Stern stabbed me in the back and gave it to everyone on another run PLUS another translite with much better art instead of a big black cue ball head in the middle..

#5 10 years ago

I'd go new due to the hi-res cab decals vs. the dotty screen printing. You can mod/swap translites, DMDs, toys...but the cabinet graphics would be a huge pain in the ass IMO.

#6 10 years ago

Is there a difference in the print quality on the cabinet and playfield between runs? I've only ever played an LE, and boy it looked like hammered s#!t, you get better print quality on a milk carton. Looked like they upscaled web art and tried to hide it with CMYK dots the size of small children.

I mentioned this to someone and they said that later runs improved the printing. Maybe this matters more to me than other people, but I was shocked at how poor the quality was on a machine that people are trying to sell for $11k now. :/

Edit: And there's Rarehero typing while I labored over this post confirming what I'd heard. Hell for all I know he was the one who told me, I can't remember who I was talking to now.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's retarded. You're basically paying them a 500$ profit (keep in mind that 3d's were only like 4200-4300 shipped, not 4800) for a translite, and getting a used pin. A used pin without leg plates (Think the very last run of 3d's had them?), with fuzzier (but screened...your call on which you would rather deal with..) cabinet art, and a plasma DMD that will soon be obsolete. I would take the new one all day long. If you don't even care about the translite, you can probably turn around and sell the 'chicks' translite without even trying. I'd offer you 150 for it right on the spot, anyways.
I'm prob. in the minority, but I was really happy with my Clu translite until Stern stabbed me in the back and gave it to everyone on another run PLUS another translite with much better art instead of a big black cue ball head in the middle..

I also like the clu trans light and think having the bad guy staring straight at the player is cool. The chick trans light is cool for art but doesn't make sense in the grand scheme to me.

#8 10 years ago

Trebor, I'd agree if it had been a shot of Clu without his helmet closed. Minor change, huge visual difference.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks guys, NIB it is.

#10 10 years ago

These threads are refreshing. Somebody wants advice from people more in the know, they contribute, the OP listens and benefits from Pinside and its members! There are too few of these posts floating around here these days.

Enjoy your Tron shovelhed!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is there a difference in the print quality on the cabinet and playfield between runs? I've only ever played an LE, and boy it looked like hammered s#!t, you get better print quality on a milk carton. Looked like they upscaled web art and tried to hide it with CMYK dots the size of small children.
I mentioned this to someone and they said that later runs improved the printing. Maybe this matters more to me than other people, but I was shocked at how poor the quality was on a machine that people are trying to sell for $11k now. :/
Edit: And there's Rarehero typing while I labored over this post confirming what I'd heard. Hell for all I know he was the one who told me, I can't remember who I was talking to now.

LOL yeah, I was telling you how Stern switched from cabinet printing to decals after Tron. Started with TF, and results were so-so....but after that the cabinet decals got REALLY good. AC/DC and X-Men look great - Tron Pro re-runs benefited from the new nice decals. Now, I'm not as offended by the cabinet printing as you are...cuz honestly, I'm not sticking my face right into the cabinet to study it....from normal viewing distances it looks fine - buuuut, hey, if I had the choice, of course I'd go w/ the decals!

Quoted from dapperdan24:

Enjoy your Tron shovelhed!

LOL...I know it's the dude's name...but this sounds like an insult.

#12 10 years ago

A few people I have asked that purchased a NIB Tron commented that the art on the "3rd run" is of a better quality than the 2nd run. However, I have no first hand knowledge of that rumor.

#13 10 years ago

Tron Pro 3D are built better, they don't have the cheap coil lugs, thin wiring etc. The cabinets are more durable, but they are a low quality screened. No cab protectors are needed. The plasma will still last a long time with HUO use.

The new ones use high resolution decals that can scratch. Should not matter in a HUO setting. They have RED LED DMDs. Again should not matter for HUO.

For home use buy the NIB, if your operating it, buy the old one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 26.50
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-first-run-or-nib-3rd-run and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.