• Latest reply 8 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you order the Tron Prequel Pinball machine ?”

• Yes (and, I would pre-order with money down) 34 votes
    14%
  • Yes (and, I would pre-order with money down after I see more design) 32 votes
    13%
  • Yes (but, I would wait to spend any money until it is ready to ship) 83 votes
    35%
  • No (and, i currently own a Tron branded pin) 31 votes
    13%
  • No (and, i used to own a Tron branded pin, but don't any longer) 12 votes
    5%
  • No (and, I've never owned a Tron branded pin) 48 votes
    20%

(240 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 11.00.12 AM.png
image.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 11.59.22 PM.png
tron_carpet.jpg
HoustonExpo2014-p3-tron-1.jpg
HoustonExpo2014-p3-tron-2.jpg
photo 3 (5).JPG
mag-tomy-1982-2.jpg
MMPM-maze-1.jpg
cindy-caddyshack-24.png
cindy-tronDress-26.png
cindy-tronVR-21.png
cindy-tronDress-7.png
cindy-tronAd-6.png
cindy-tronDress-16.png
There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 9 years ago

Here's a top(ish)-down view of the lower playfield.
The left side & right side can be completely modified.
Can have or not have wire forms, can have other stuff added that extend further out, etc...
I was thinking something like Bride of Pinbot humps & posts could be possible, plus so much more.

front-1.jpgfront-1.jpg

#152 9 years ago

Who dat??

tron.PNGtron.PNG
#153 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Here's a top-down view of the lower playfield.
The left side & right side can be completely modified.
Can have or not have wire forms, can have other stuff added that extend further out, etc...
I was thinking something like Bride of Pinbot humps & posts could be possible, plus so much more.

front-1.jpg 199 KB

Here is a suggestion. In the next pictures you post, make sure that the blood soaked rag does not show up in the reflection of any playfield glass. Some Pinsiders may respond differently to this image.

#154 9 years ago

Ha... I think that's my Halloween orange shirt and iPhone reflecting there

#155 9 years ago

The thing I love most about the original Tron movie was the way the effects of when he's in the game look. I'm sure you know the back story of why the effects have that crazy look to them. I think if you could duplicate that look and not have such a sanatized look to them it would enhance the game. Just my 2 cents.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The thing I love most about the original Tron movie was the way the effects of when he's in the game look. I'm sure you know the back story of why the effects have that crazy look to them. I think if you could duplicate that look and not have such a sanatized look to them it would enhance the game. Just my 2 cents.

yep. totally agree. i think a big part of the visual "Style Guide" is about simplification, retro design, and true graphic alignment to the film.

untra-realism is for Tron Legacy. Stern already has done that pin. Time for Tron Prequel the Retro Adventure.

#157 9 years ago

have to click on & expand each image to be readable...

Tron-costumeDesign-cfq-may-june-1982-pg-18.jpgTron-costumeDesign-cfq-may-june-1982-pg-18.jpg

Tron-costumeDesign-cfq-may-june-1982-pg-19.jpgTron-costumeDesign-cfq-may-june-1982-pg-19.jpg

Tron-costumeDesign-cfq-may-june-1982-pg-20.jpgTron-costumeDesign-cfq-may-june-1982-pg-20.jpg

Tron-costumeDesign-cfq-may-june-1982-pg-21.jpgTron-costumeDesign-cfq-may-june-1982-pg-21.jpg

#158 9 years ago

Here's the results of 90 votes so far.
Yes = 52
No = 38

At this pace, would need about 10X the volume of votes. However, lurkers count for a significant % of the site activity. Maybe what... 75% (logged-in + non-logged-in) ?
So, if 52 was 25% then how fast does a train get to Wisconsin on a Sunday going 75 miles an hour?
Could Yes = ~200 right now (active + lurker Pinsiders), then add non-Pinsiders. Any math on that?

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 1.04.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-02 at 1.04.13 AM.png

#159 9 years ago

There are more medicom tron figures and vehicles, they made lightcycles, recognizer, MCP and a tank.

P1010459.JPGP1010459.JPG
#160 9 years ago

I'd like to contribute more, but when I saw Tron at the drive-in, I was a little distracted. You see, she wanted to see ET, but the line was too long. I said lets check out Tron. So we went on in. What happened after the light cycles?

#161 9 years ago

Is there a way this could be like "Discs Of Tron"? The player is battling another "program" who is symbolically standing in the center of three rings in upper playfield? The ball represents the jai alai style ball being tossed between players, with orbits and targetted shots resulting in turning off rings for the other player (and or failing to do so resulting in losing one's own rings). Dictates playfield art to a degree.

See http://video.disney.com/watch/jai-alai-4be38642b8814a0e1266b068

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What happened after the light cycles?

You'll have to rent the movie to find out. Spend all that money to see the movie and you didn't watch it. I've never done that.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'd like to contribute more, but when I saw Tron at the drive-in, I was a little distracted. You see, she wanted to see ET, but the line was too long. I said lets check out Tron. So we went on in. What happened after the light cycles?

Ahhh. Those memories, of the Drive In, just flashed back. Went to see China Syndrome and Blue Lagoon. I do not recall China Syndrome much. Bench seat cars have their advantages.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Bench seat cars have their advantages.

I always found the back seat had more room.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Is there a way this could be like "Discs Of Tron"? The player is battling another "program" who is symbolically standing in the center of three rings in upper playfield? The ball represents the jai alai style ball being tossed between players, with orbits and targetted shots resulting in turning off rings for the other player (and or failing to do so resulting in losing one's own rings). Dictates playfield art to a degree.
See http://video.disney.com/watch/jai-alai-4be38642b8814a0e1266b068

absolutely.
i was thinking there would be several Discs of Tron (DOT) interactive game modes. Each with varying levels of complexity. Instead of Environmental Discs of Tron (EDOT), this would be like Pinball Discs of Tron (PDOT)

dot-1.pngdot-1.png

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

There are more medicom tron figures and vehicles, they made lightcycles, recognizer, MCP and a tank.

P1010459.JPG 178 KB

thanks. those are great.
What do folks think about the character height options?
using the 1:3 short figures, where the head is 1/3 of the height, these look like kiddos in uniform.
using the 1:5 tall figures, where the head is 1/5 of the height, these look like adults in uniform.

any preference for one of those ratios over the other? 1:3 kids vs 1:5 adults?
ps. they can be any height, the illusion between kid & adult is based on head size.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

using the 1:5 tall figures, where the head is 1/5 of the height, these look like adults in uniform.

I like these better and UV paint would make them look great, just like in the movie.

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I like these better and UV paint would make them look great, just like in the movie.

yeah... black-light or white-black-light would be super cool, but man... don't want to step into that Predator land mine

Predator's design is to run a long thin black-light tube along the left wall and the right wall of the inside playfield. For me, it adds a neat glow to everything during their "Hunt" mode. But I think others had higher expectations about seeing day-glow predator blood splatters on things when the black-lights came on and the GI lights turned off.

At the moment, the left & right side of the P3 are pretty filled with ball-tracking system, ball return wireforms, and other stuff. Maybe could get some super bright black-light LED's and position them around key playfield items/surfaces/toys ? It would also be interesting to test the visual results of black-lights radiating on the playfield monitor. Does black-light cause any issues with it?

The EDOT has both black-light & white-black-light in it. And it's great for the Discs of Tron arcade game.

edot-cp-1.JPGedot-cp-1.JPG
edot-cp-2.jpgedot-cp-2.jpg

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The light cycles was pretty much it. (spoiler alert) One of 'em drove into a wall, and that was it, roll credits

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Maybe could get some super bright black-light LED's and position them around key playfield items/surfaces/toys ?

Art at Comet said the UV 7 and 3, 6.3v led strips are about 6-8 weeks out so there ya go.

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Art at Comet said the UV 7 and 3, 6.3v led strips are about 6-8 weeks out so there ya go.

you just made my entire Sunday !!!

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Who dat??

tron.PNG 101 KB

Tron has been a giant influence on entertainment, the arts & other movies.
But what the heck...
Did Tron influence District 9 as well ?

tron-district9-1.jpgtron-district9-1.jpg

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Ahhh. Those memories, of the Drive In, just flashed back.

Where are they now?

lost-drive-in.jpglost-drive-in.jpg

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

P1010459.JPG 178 KB

i would really like to get my hands on a couple of those items, like the MCP, light-cycle, recognizer & tank. Could create different sized versions of them as playfield items to interact with.

#175 9 years ago

That MCP is so awesomely ridiculous. I want one bad. If you cut the top off could it be used as a beer mug?

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

That MCP is so awesomely ridiculous. I want one bad. If you cut the top off could it be used as a beer mug?

That MCP could be an interesting bash toy & ball lock collector on the playfield
imagine having strands of strobing EL wire lights in him.

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 12.49.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-02 at 12.49.39 PM.png

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Where are they now?

lost-drive-in.jpg 16 KB

Bump for Tron.

In Canada there may be less than 12 Drive Ins' still showing movies. Things like the cost of the land, or value of the land exceeds revenue from the movies. The lack of Surround Sound, and the new costs of digital projectors. Have really been part of the factors, that have lead to the downfall of the Drive In. The urban sprawl has older Drive Ins' on land surrounded by houses. It is to bad as they were an experience. Car Full Nights and Dusk to Dawn movies were a good value.

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

That MCP could be an interesting bash toy & ball lock collector on the playfield
imagine having strands of strobing EL wire lights in him.

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 12.49.... 698 KB

Yah know what else would be cool for the MCP....remember a few years back I think it was Arbys that had a 3D cup where there was something printed on the cup then there was an outer plastic sleeve on the outside with something else printed on it and when you turned it it looked like the image was moving. I wonder if you could do the same thing like that with the MCP, have the outside sleeve spinning and the inside major plastic just slowly turn from side to side about a 3rd of a turn. Does all this make sense?

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

you just made my entire Sunday !!!

Your very welcome.........now do I get a free game when they come out. If you could incorporate those strips (hidden) into the game some how to light up reactive toys or artwork that would be way cool.

#180 9 years ago

How about a Secret South Park Jewbilee Moses mode? Maybe a DMD animation with Moses saying "I desire popcorn necklaces" or something....

jewbilee.PNGjewbilee.PNG
#181 9 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

How about a Secret South Park Jewbilee Moses mode? Maybe a DMD animation with Moses saying "I desire popcorn necklaces" or something....

jewbilee.PNG 360 KB

Say what?

#182 9 years ago

Only if it has the bum, ba bum, bum bummmmm, TRON! speech in it.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

» YouTube video

That wasn't in the original movie....so no.

#184 9 years ago

Here's a picture of the MCP toy open, it looks like it would be easy to modify. Sets of the medicom toys show up on ebay fairly often.

P1010460.JPGP1010460.JPG
#185 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

» YouTube video

image.jpgimage.jpg

#186 9 years ago

so, there's space on the back playfield for:
a.) Structural design elements (like the front of the Flynn's arcade)
b.) Interactive toys that have direct impact with the ball
c.) Flat screen display(s).

...and on the lower playfield for:
a.) playfield monitor passive art or interactive (including mini-games that can include the ball or not)
b.) left & right side space for things like ball return wireforms, targets, interactive elements over monitor, etc.)
c.) ball drains & flippers

There's many iconic elements from Tron that can be any of the following:
1.) Structural design elements
2.) Interactive toys
3.) Purely digital shown on back playfield displays
4.) Purely digital shown on lower playfield monitor

Which of these elements (or many others) would be good to have where?
For example, which should be physical items like items (1.) & (2.) above, versus digital?

Here's an example visual. The idea was that on the left we have Flynn's arcade as a Structural design element. The sign could actually light up (or become a certain lit color) meaning those ball entrances mean certain game play modes. Think Addam's Family Uncle Fester scoop colors.

Then moving to the right we could have something like the desk inside the Encom building where both the Orange and Flynn got digitized into the virtual world. I did a cheesy mock-up of that, but think that would be less visually interesting than some other element. The digital screen shows a scanner activating an scanning a locked ball (aka: Flynn or Orange ) into the virtual world. Once scan is complete, ball drops under playfield (out of play), and on the lower playfield monitor Flynn animates/arrives onto a Discs of Tron mini-game. Just an example. Flynn could also animate/arrive into the original holding area and be taken to the jail cells on the lower playfield monitor. Then other things happen (but I digress...).

The point being... there's probably room across that "back" to put maybe 4-5 major iconic items (maybe more), and have a digital display back there as well, which could visually interact with the iconic item on it's left and on it's right. Plus the display can represent much more during different game modes (unrelated to the iconic areas near it).

So... which iconic items might be the most compelling / interesting to be real physical objects, versus digital ?

1.) Flynn's arcade
2.) Desk & Laser Scanner
3.) Master Control Program (MCP)
4.) IO Tower Dude
5.) Light Cycle(s)
6.) Tank(s)
7.) Spiders
8.) Jail Cells
9.) Triangular holding cells/room
10.) Sark in comm station when speaking with MCP (ie: darth & emperor)
11.) Lit Encom helicopter at night
12.) Recognizer
13.) Sark's long ship
14.) Bit
15.) Human(oid) Characters: Human Flynn, Human Alan One, Yori, Digital Flynn, Tron, ...
16.) Energy water pool out in wild zone
17.) ??

zones-p3-scanner-1.jpgzones-p3-scanner-1.jpg

#187 9 years ago

The bit. "YES"...."NO". Gotta have it in the game.

#189 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I keed
» YouTube video

think we found the intro video when player powers up Tron Prequel pinball machine

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

» YouTube video

ha... that's cool.

#191 9 years ago

so many great Tron quotes just for pinball:

Guard (when Flynn first arrives in VR), "Vacate entry port, program!"

Great voice-over to play when kicking a ball back out of: a saucer or ball lock. Like when it is not ready for use. TAF does that in 2 places (Uncle Fester scoop) & (Thing kickout), both when not yet active.

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 7.40.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-02 at 7.40.08 PM.png

#192 9 years ago

this thread needs a little crossover

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video

hahaha...

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 7.57.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-02 at 7.57.44 PM.png

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video

That was fun. Thanks.

#195 9 years ago

hidden mickey

tron-hidden-mickey-1.pngtron-hidden-mickey-1.png

#197 9 years ago

Possible holding cell decor around the pop-bumpers (aka: Jets, for you TOM fans).

holding-cell-1.pngholding-cell-1.png

#198 9 years ago

Could have a Sark's Carrier timed mode.
Hit certain shots to allow Flynn & Yori to escape from the holding cell, across the carrier and up to the control deck where they are safe from the derez field.

Could show the Carrier being derez'd on the big playfield monitor over time.

Sark-carrier-mode-1.pngSark-carrier-mode-1.png

#199 9 years ago

There is sooooo much that could be done with this pin it boggles the mind.

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

Here's a picture of the MCP toy open, it looks like it would be easy to modify. Sets of the medicom toys show up on ebay fairly often.

P1010460.JPG 82 KB

hi,
is this MCP yours? if so, can you take a few more pics like:
a) top off: front, side 1, side 2, back, top-down
b) top on: front, side 1, side 2, back, top-down

thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 26.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-prequel-pinball/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.