(Topic ID: 24528)

TRON Pinbits pop cap mod installed

By Marc

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0353.jpg
    DSCN0634.JPG
    DSCN0631.JPG
    tron_pop_cap_distance_right.JPG
    tron_pop_cap_distance_left.JPG
    tron_disc_pop_caps.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Not much to work on this weekend, just waiting on parts so I decided to go to MOD drawer (you know the place where you throw all your mod's you never install) and see what was there. Decided on the pop bumper cap set from Pinbits.

Install was failrly easy but as always there directions are not the clearest as there is some assembly required. I like the fact that the exposed LED is now covered but I'm not overly fond of their design (reminds me of that 80's band DEVO). At the end of the day not sure I would recommend this mod for $40 plus shipping.

tron_disc_pop_caps.JPGtron_disc_pop_caps.JPG

#2 11 years ago

I got it on my Tron Pro and love the look personally. Never been fond of pictures of real people on pins, so I don't mind covering a few up. Now if I could just cover up the last picture of the David Bowie / Rat Face guy.

#3 11 years ago

I agree with the OP I am not a huge fan myself, they just don't look like identity discs plus it's nice to occasionally look up and see Gem, pins have lost T&A over the years why cover them up

#4 11 years ago

I absolutely love this mod. Anything is better than those white leds sticking out. I think they look great.

#5 11 years ago

I would like to see a shot from the further away if you get a chance. If not, no problem. Always wondered how they would look. thanks

#6 11 years ago

I love mine too. Huge improvement over the ugly LED sticking out.

#7 11 years ago

Yeah, looks like a blue arcade button stuck to a bumper cap, wow...neat

nee ner ner ner neat, whip it........whip it good!

#8 11 years ago

I just got mine the other day. I installed the left one but the screws seem too long by about 3/4" for the two on the right. Not sure what you mean about the instructions not being the clearest, my kit came with no instructions. There was a bag of screws with two spacers (used on the left pop bumper) and two of the screws had nuts on them. I have no idea where those go. I am not sure I am crazy about the mod either but I really hate the el' cheapo leds sticking out. How much do you really save not putting on a pop bumpber cap Stern?

#9 11 years ago

There are instructions online at pinbits.com

#10 11 years ago

I would like to see a shot from the further away if you get a chance. If not, no problem. Always wondered how they would look. thanks

tron_pop_cap_distance_left.JPGtron_pop_cap_distance_left.JPG tron_pop_cap_distance_right.JPGtron_pop_cap_distance_right.JPG

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from BShing:

I just got mine the other day... Not sure what you mean about the instructions not being the clearest, my kit came with no instructions.

Instructions are here: http://mrtn.smugmug.com/Other/Tron-Pop-Bumper-Kit-Assembly/23773888_6WxhG5#!i=1883215251&k=6RMK8r4

#12 11 years ago

Thanks Marc, didn't see the instructions. I didn't realize you re-use the existing cover from the two right hand plastics.

#13 11 years ago

No LEDs....come on.
    Pimp it Marc, pimp it.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

No LEDs....come on.
    Pimp it Marc, pimp it.

It has Coin Taker retro LED's in the GI and uh it's an LE so LED's already in the inserts.

#15 11 years ago

I agree with the Devo sentiments. I had the same thoughts after installing but I thought (hoped!) that the shape was something from the movies. Perhaps not

Still better than exposed bulbs to me, even if it is Devo

#16 11 years ago

I saw DEVO last year and they were fantastic. I think that reference has changed my mind. I like it better now!

#18 11 years ago

Thanks for posting this Marc, I had ordered these a while ago and they have been laying around waiting to be installed. After seeing this thread it made me go down and install them since I had nothing better to do at the time...

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

At the end of the day not sure I would recommend this mod for $40 plus shipping.

I love mine Marc. I think it looks fantastic along with the other plastic set. Here is a video I took a few months ago:

pappy

#20 11 years ago

Order placed

#21 11 years ago

Although I already have this mod, Pappy's video would sell me again if I needed convincing. Look's great! Love how the LE cycles the colored insert w/ the ramp color BTW

#22 11 years ago

Yup, just got mine and no directions. That link helps but disappointed they did not include a set. My parts vary a tad too from the photos. Off tomorrow so I will see how it goes.
    And I love Devo!

#23 11 years ago

I never like the LEDs sticking out either. I think this is a must have mod. It looks so much nicer afterwards!

#24 11 years ago

The instructions were practically useless for someone I know that got this kit. Pinbits did not give him the approprate spacers for the Gem stack to actually install them correctly. He had to call them like 2-3 times just to get them to mail him the right parts, but I believe he did get it finished.

I think I can safely say that if I ever get a Tron, I'll probably pass on this mod.

#25 11 years ago

I can't find where these parts go? Anyone? Pappy? So I do remove the ramp to do the long orange piece? Just replace the plastic with these and put these over the pictures, yes? Very Noob I know.

DSCN0631.JPGDSCN0631.JPG

#26 11 years ago

Found the orange one but the tiny blue piece and 4 screws still puzzling me...

#27 11 years ago

Dang blue piece goes behind the Tron Arcade cabinet. Man that took some work. A piece of paper with some clue would be nice but its done!

DSCN0634.JPGDSCN0634.JPG

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

A piece of paper with some clue would be nice but its done!

I don't know how much time I've wasted trying to find were a plastic goes. I mean it SHOULD be so simple. Worse is when you can figure out where a metal rail goes...uff it happens.

#29 11 years ago

Next up…Mirror Blades!

Pappy where did you buy yours?

#30 11 years ago

I've been considering this one.. in the meantime though I've replaced the stock wide-angle bulbs with some cool white frosted "classic" bulbs and it makes a world of a difference.

#31 11 years ago

Oh boy, this is lovely.

The factory pops on Tron look so so cheap. I'm glad this game seems popular with all these mods coming.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Next up…Mirror Blades!

Pappy where did you buy yours?

Hey man, sorry I didn't catch your blue plastic puzzle. Looks like you figured it out though.

My mirror blades were made for me by a good friend. He found a source for the material and cut them. Sorry I can't help you with that one either. He doesn't want to sell them. I think somebody is selling them on Pinside though.

To all the people on the fence with these plastics. In the video you really can't how cool the orange plastics look. They actually look washed out in the video compared to real life. It's really my favorite mod on this game.

Pappy

#33 11 years ago

Daughter fully approves the mods!

IMG_0353.jpgIMG_0353.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pinbits-pop-cap-mod-installed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.