You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

right ramp exit.jpg
left ramp exit.jpg
left ramp entrance.jpg
right ramp entrance.jpg
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

I've had it carom off the drop targets into GEM also on the LE. I'm not sure how much less common this is than a stand-up rebound.

Quoted from Snailman:

The ball can caroms off of the TRON targets (on the Pro) directly to the GEM lane. No upper flipper required. But it's difficult, and inconsistent at best.
But I find you're still better off using upper flipper. During multiball, trap 1-2 balls on the L flipper, and stage your upper flipper. Use single ball that's not cradled to feed the staged upper flipper from the R flipper. Next stop: Portal.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Shoot all shots as many times as there are inserts on the shot. When you light all inserts on a shot, you get an add a ball with no ball saver. Complete all inserts to get portal jackpot (I believe you just get it - it might light the scoop for the collect?)

Thanks. So just do what I've been doing which is shoot like crazy and try to manage all of those multiple balls without losing them too quickly

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

LIGHTCYCLE - started by 4 lightcycle shots then arcade scoop shot- completed by collecting double super jackpot (left ramp then left inner loop)- completed by 2 super jackpots (left ramp then left inner loop then right ramp)

1) I for the life of me cannot complete this lightcycle mode... I've completed every other mode except this one. With the 2 multiball mode, do the shots have to be made consecutively right away? With 2 pinballs hitting around on the playfield, it seems impossible to hit one shot and immediately another right after. For example, can I hit left ramp, the other ball rolls over a C-L-U rollover or hits a T-R-O-N target and still hit the left inner loop to get the super jackpot? Is it just a matter of hitting these shots in the time allowed?

It's definitely the hardest mode to complete. I can't tell you how often I get to SoS with every mode lit solid except Light Cycle. My strategy is to trap one of the balls on the left flipper. Then, shoot the other ball up the left ramp, shoot the inner loop, and then release the flipper and make the right ramp shot as the ball comes around.

#54 10 years ago

Yep, Light Cycle is the hardest to complete.

For me the best chance to complete it is to stack it with Quorra MB

#55 10 years ago

You can complete Light Cycle without making all three shots, if you just make the first two (ramp, Quorra) a certain number of times (3? 4?) before the mode times out.

You also have a few seconds to make all three shots after you lose the second ball. Half the time I complete it that way, it is easier with only one ball.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

You can complete Light Cycle without making all three shots, if you just make the first two (ramp, Quorra) a certain number of times (3? 4?) before the mode times out.

Well, since it never times out unless you drain down to 1 ball, I'm about 100% certain you're wrong.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Well, since it never times out unless you drain down to 1 ball, I'm about 100% certain you're wrong.

yourself. Make the first two shots twice (or is it thrice?), drain one ball, make them again before it times out.

Thanks for playing.

#58 10 years ago

Still looking to find exactly what is needed to start Sea Of Simulation....
Tonight I had only 4 of the modes lit and/or blinking (started), not all completed but had been started and then Sea Of Simulation started.
I'm wondering if Sea Of Simulation starts AFTER you've gone through each of the multiball modes as I cannot see any correlation between the number of modes started/completed and the starting of this mode.
I still have not seen the pulsing FLYNN insert indicating this mode was even ready to start...

#59 10 years ago

When all of the lights on the ladder are blinking, sea is ready. Sea is your opportunity to light them solid, leading to portal multiball.

For details on how to light the various lights, see the pinballnews.com review of TRON.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Still looking to find exactly what is needed to start Sea Of Simulation....
Tonight I had only 4 of the modes lit and/or blinking (started), not all completed but had been started and then Sea Of Simulation started.

Unless there is something I fundamentally don't understand about the game, I'm pretty sure it's not possible to start SoS without playing every mode at least once first. I suppose there could be some kind of software setting that would change this, but if there is, I'm unaware of it.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Unless there is something I fundamentally don't understand about the game, I'm pretty sure it's not possible to start SoS without playing every mode at least once first. I suppose there could be some kind of software setting that would change this, but if there is, I'm unaware of it.

Correct. All mode insert lights must be blinking or solid to qualify SOS at the scoop.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Correct. All mode insert lights must be blinking or solid to qualify SOS at the scoop.

Well, I should have taken a picture because only 4 of the modes were either blinking or solidly lit when I went to Sea of Simulation. So I'm not sure what the deal is... but I specifically looked at the # that were lit to make sure

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Well, I should have taken a picture because only 4 of the modes were either blinking or solidly lit when I went to Sea of Simulation. So I'm not sure what the deal is... but I specifically looked at the # that were lit to make sure

Do you have burnt out bulbs?

#64 9 years ago

No all of the bulbs (LEDs) work perfectly.... but no doubt about it, I only had 4 lit the rest weren't even blinking..

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

No all of the bulbs (LEDs) work perfectly.... but no doubt about it, I only had 4 lit the rest weren't even blinking..

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and ran some tests on my Tron. I tried to duplicate your result a bunch of different ways, but couldn't. The one thing I do want to know is what version you are running, because all my testing was with 1.74.

I tested running all the multiballs, then dumping into the scoop.
I tested having everything flashing except Multiballs completed, then starting SOS, dumping out of it, and then requalifying it with just the multiballs, but it wouldn't start without the other modes.
I tested having everything at the scoop qualified (Clu, Quorra, LC), and everything else flashing or complete, but it just started the modes as expected.
And again I tried second time in after dumping out of them.

The only reason I was trying them all was to see if there was a faster way to get to SOS and cheat a bit, but I have come to the conclusion that you must have missed something. Have you thought about pulling the glass and attempting to duplicate it? For now I am going to go with the conclusion that you didn't see them flashing, and they went out as soon as you entered the scoop.

#66 9 years ago

I will try getting to SOS without glass on... however I have a problem with LIGHTCYCLE mode...

Tonight I finally removed the glass to see what is going on with my LIGHTCYCLE mode. I lit scoop, started LIGHTCYCLE MULTIBALL. With 2 pinballs out in play, I rolled the one up the left ramp, then through the left inner (Quora) loop and that didn't do anything. No jackpot just told me that I was one step closer to qualifying for Quora multiball. Then I did left ramp, left inner, right ramp... nothing....
So either my machine is not registering or the ruleset is not correct for completing the LIGHTCYCLE mode... any ideas here??? I'm totally stumped and it's pretty bad if with the glass off and all ball drains stopped with towels I still can't complete this mode!
I was able to get a jackpot but according to the rules I have follows I should have lit the LIGHTCYCLE mode easily.

-complete 1 double super jackpot (left ramp then left inner loop then right ramp)
-complete 2 super jackpots (left ramp then left inner loop)

These do not work on my machine no matter how many times I perform them... in fact I can't my display to register double super jackpot using the above rule but I did get a super jackpot not using the above combo....
I'm stumped...

#67 9 years ago

Concerning GEM, short of a crazy spin out of the spinning disk, there are four possible ways to hit her, though none high percentage. (1) The upper left flipper obviously, which works best with a slow moving ball that isn't traveling flush against the metal orbit guide. A weak shot from down below that barely passes the upper left flipper and begins to fall back towards it is also usually a good candidate. (2) Sometimes you can hit her on the plunge, but it's rare for me to do so other than by accident. (3) My best strategy is to bounce balls off of the drops or the rubber behind them. My success rate is maybe 1 out of 6 or 7 on average, but I can sometimes get a game going where I can do it almost back-to-back, or occasionally can't hit her no matter how hard I try. (4) A Quorra multiball often times creates enough chaotic bounces to hit GEM a few times, often times without me realizing it until I hear the sound effect of her jackpot. Just hit the recognizer enough to get it to drop and add more balls, then keep sending the balls towards the left of the playfield, alternating from bouncing off of the drops, to weakly feeding the left flipper, and to the Quorra shot. I can sometimes complete Quorra and GEM at the same time this way. Of course, like RobT said, Quorra is also your best shot at completing Light Cycle, so it's up to you which to go after while in Quorra.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I will try getting to SOS without glass on... however I have a problem with LIGHTCYCLE mode...
Tonight I finally removed the glass to see what is going on with my LIGHTCYCLE mode. I lit scoop, started LIGHTCYCLE MULTIBALL. With 2 pinballs out in play, I rolled the one up the left ramp, then through the left inner (Quora) loop and that didn't do anything. No jackpot just told me that I was one step closer to qualifying for Quora multiball. Then I did left ramp, left inner, right ramp... nothing....
So either my machine is not registering or the ruleset is not correct for completing the LIGHTCYCLE mode... any ideas here??? I'm totally stumped and it's pretty bad if with the glass off and all ball drains stopped with towels I still can't complete this mode!
I was able to get a jackpot but according to the rules I have follows I should have lit the LIGHTCYCLE mode easily.
-complete 1 double super jackpot (left ramp then left inner loop then right ramp)
-complete 2 super jackpots (left ramp then left inner loop)
These do not work on my machine no matter how many times I perform them... in fact I can't my display to register double super jackpot using the above rule and I can get a super jackpot with not the above combo....
I'm stumped...

Hmmm, I wonder if you have a bad or finicky switch on the left ramp or Quorra?

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Sure sounds like it to me as well. OP, you should go into the switch edge test and check everything. First with your fingers, and then with a ball if you don't find anything bad. The ramps have two switches, and both need to work for a proper hit to register. So when you said you are rolling it up the ramp, I want to be sure you meant all the way around through the second switch.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Shoot all shots as many times as there are inserts on the shot. When you light all inserts on a shot, you get an add a ball with no ball saver. Complete all inserts to get portal jackpot (I believe you just get it - it might light the scoop for the collect?)

You get a tiny ball saver when a shot is completed.
After all shots are completed you need to shoot the disc for super jackpot. After that is all shots 1 million ad eternum..
You can watch it here hehehe:

#71 9 years ago

As for light cycle multiball, the double super jackpot that gives you the solid light is:
left ramp -> quorra -> right ramp or gem.

You can get a solid light also by just making 3x super jackpots:
left ramp -> left orbit or quorra.

But doing 3 supers in one multiball is as hard as doing the double super. Go for the supers only if you have a hard time shooting quorra since the left orbit is an easier shot.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

You get a tiny ball saver when a shot is completed.
After all shots are completed you need to shoot the disc for super jackpot. After that is all shots 1 million ad eternum..
You can watch it here hehehe:
» YouTube video

Wow you do get one according to the insert flashing but you're right, it's damn short. I have never been able to actually see it when (lol more like 'if') I get an add a ball in portal and I've certainly never been saved by it haha.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Your left ramp switch isn't registering - it's either stuck open or closed.

#74 9 years ago

A slightly related question to LIGHTCYCLE mode, I've noticed that the LIGHTCYCLE inserts are lit sometimes either full brightness, half brightness, or are off. What dictates their light output status?
When I start a game, it appears that the left orbit (the farthest left lane) has the LIGHTCYCLE lit at 50%. During LIGHTCYCLE mode, when I was experimenting, I'd roll a ball through the right orbit (farthest right lane) which would turn the insert off but then as soon as I rolled the ball into another lane, the insert would light up again.
Can anyone explain the LIGHTCYCLE insert lighting patterns?

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I will check when I get home... but I believe Quorra is working as when I hit the Quorra lane during normal game play, it's counting towards Quorra multiball...

#76 9 years ago

Like taz already said, one of your switches clearly isn't registering. I'm guessing it's the left ramp switch.

#77 9 years ago

Go into switch test and make sure your left ramp exit switch is closing and opening properly every time it's activated. If you are getting credit for lightcycle shots it's possible the issue is intermittent and the switch is sticking sometimes and not others.

The fact you are getting quorra credit every time without the lightcycle combo being fulfilled is what tells me the ramp shot isn't always counting.

#78 9 years ago

Just checked the switches and per diagnostics it's registering... Here is the combo results I get during LIGHTCYCLE mode:

left ramp - nothing
left ramp, left inner (Quorra) - nothing
left ramp, right ramp - JACKPOT
left ramp, right ramp, left inner (Quorra lane) - SUPER JACKPOT
left ramp, left inner (Quorra lane), right ramp - JACKPOT
right orbit - JACKPOT
right ramp - JACKPOT
right orbit, right ramp - SUPER JACKPOT

#79 9 years ago

During diagnostics, trigger the left ramp switch using a ball rather than your finger. Your finger will often move the switch further than a ball would, causing it to work whereas a ball doesn't move it far enough.

I agree the left ramp switch isn't working correctly.

#80 9 years ago

Ok, I think I might have figured out the issue (though didn't have enough over lunch to delve further).... So I took some pictures while manually triggering the ramp switches. It seems to me that
1) the left ramp exit is triggering as right ramp entrance
2) the right ramp exit is triggering as left lamp exit

I talked to previous owner who mentioned that the original owner who installed the Eli ramp lighting maybe switched these 2 around. Does that sound like a reasonable possibility and if so, is there an easy way to swap the wiring? I haven't had a chance to look under the playfield.

left ramp entrance.jpgleft ramp entrance.jpgleft ramp exit.jpgleft ramp exit.jpgright ramp entrance.jpgright ramp entrance.jpgright ramp exit.jpgright ramp exit.jpg

#81 9 years ago

Yeah, that's definitely an issue, and would probably be the cause. I think they all have 2-pin Z connectors on them, so it should be as easy as unplugging and swapping them over.

#82 9 years ago

It's no surprise I've done so horribly at LIGHTCYCLE mode and have never completed it during a game. I've completed every other mode (not all in same game unfortunately!).
I will update later once I've switched connectors hopefully if they easy swap.

#83 9 years ago

*edit* Too late for me.

#84 9 years ago

The 2 wires were switched for the above switches as they both have a green and white wire and literally look identical. I switched them around and FINALLY lightcycle mode works correctly! Now maybe I can play better!

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

The 2 wires were switched for the above switches as they both have a green and white wire and literally look identical. I switched them around and FINALLY lightcycle mode works correctly! Now maybe I can play better!

Great work fixing it!

#86 9 years ago

It was certainly a diagnostic challenge since the switches were actually working. One wouldn't initially think of the switches being reversed especially on a newer machine. Fortunately, the new machines have so much information in the diagnostics menus, it has every switch labeled so it was a matter of seeing the name pop up and it didn't make sense that a ramp would have a right and left designation when it's either the right ramp or left ramp!

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Congrats! Though the problem was hard to troubleshoot, at least it was an easy fix. Tron is an excellent game, enjoy!

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

One wouldn't initially think of the switches being reversed especially on a newer machine.

When I got mine, NIB, there were four lamps (two pairs) that were reversed. It confused the hell out of me until I figured out what was going on.

1 week later
#89 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

LIGHTCYCLE - started by 4 lightcycle shots then arcade scoop shot
- completed by collecting double super jackpot (left ramp then left inner loop then right ramp)
- completed by 2 super jackpots (left ramp then left inner loop)

In order to complete LIGHTCYCLE, do these shots have to be done immediately following each other? Or just during the LIGHTCYCLE mode?
for example, with 2 pinballs in play, let's say you hit the left ramp, the other ball hits the right spinner, then another hit on right ramp, then you hit the left inner loop, does that count as a super jackpot? Is there some time limit between hitting the combos? I'm confused if you just have to hit the left ramp/left inner loop/right ramp in a certain time frame or in a certain amount of hits without other playfield targets triggered than interrupt the combo...

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I will update later once I've switched connectors hopefully if they easy swap.

When I was removing the ramps to install Eli's prototype kit I didn't bother marking the "Z" connectors for the switches because I noticed they came with colored factory markings anyways. When I was reinstalling the ramps I decided to go into the switch test to make sure everything was working before I tightened things down and turns out my game was hooked up wrong from day #1.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

When I was removing the ramps to install Eli's prototype kit I didn't bother marking the "Z" connectors for the switches because I noticed they came with colored factory markings anyways. When I was reinstalling the ramps I decided to go into the switch test to make sure everything was working before I tightened things down and turns out my game was hooked up wrong from day #1.

Were you also having issues with your LIGHTCYCLE mode and registering combos?

#92 9 years ago

Going to check mine this weekend.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

In order to complete LIGHTCYCLE, do these shots have to be done immediately following each other? Or just during the LIGHTCYCLE mode?
for example, with 2 pinballs in play, let's say you hit the left ramp, the other ball hits the right spinner, then another hit on right ramp, then you hit the left inner loop, does that count as a super jackpot? Is there some time limit between hitting the combos? I'm confused if you just have to hit the left ramp/left inner loop/right ramp in a certain time frame or in a certain amount of hits without other playfield targets triggered than interrupt the combo...

Yes you have a limited time to complete the next shot. That is why they are referred to as combos. You will see during LCMB if you shoot the left ramp the LC insert goes out, then the LC at the quorra shot will light, guiding you to that shot. After about 4-5 seconds, if that shot is not made, then the LC insert on the left ramp re-lights and you have to start over.

#94 9 years ago

First of all I am thrilled to understand the game better so thank you all!

But now I'm frustrated as hell because I have had my game for a year and I have never reached Portal and most of you have. AAAGGGHHHH!!!!

***hanging head in shame***

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from PromoJoe23:

But now I'm frustrated as hell because I have had my game for a year and I have never reached Portal and most of you have. AAAGGGHHHH!!!!

Portal may be easier to reach than a lot of other wizard modes, but I'd hardly call it easy. You'll get there. Just keep practicing.

#96 9 years ago

Thanks gweempose. It's not for a lack of playing that's for sure! Love, love, love this game.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from PromoJoe23:

It took me 11 months...

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Yes you have a limited time to complete the next shot. That is why they are referred to as combos. You will see during LCMB if you shoot the left ramp the LC insert goes out, then the LC at the quorra shot will light, guiding you to that shot. After about 4-5 seconds, if that shot is not made, then the LC insert on the left ramp re-lights and you have to start over.

Ahhh,,... that makes perfect sense... I was trying to figure out the pattern of lit/unlit inserts when I was originally testing the ramp switches watching some go out when triggered but now that makes sense. When in doubt in pinball, follow the either blinking or lit lights!

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It took me 11 months...

It took me a year to reach Portal, on ball two even. I'm nowhere near a good player, but I just had one of those great games where I was hitting every shot. I haven't been there since, but Tron is still a fantastic pin that keeps me pressing start over and over.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pinball-rules-questions/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.