You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

right ramp exit.jpg
left ramp exit.jpg
left ramp entrance.jpg
right ramp entrance.jpg
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I've compiled a list of the way to complete the ladder in TRON to make is easier for myself to remember (listed below). I typically play more for completion of modes than points. However, I'm still baffled as to how you start Sea Of Simulation. Yesterday I was playing and had maybe 3 modes completed and Sea Of Simulation started! I can't remember what I hit or what was going on at the time because it was so random I wasn't thinking about the ball hit at the time.

So how do you start Sea Of Simulation???

Also, in trying to complete the TRON mode, do you basically just have to hit the T-R-O-N bank 3 times (or use the ZEN mode and hit once)?

FLYNN - started by right rollover switch next to the arcade
- completed by hitting flashing arrow (left orbit,left ramp, left inner loop,
right inner loop, right ramp, right orbit)

GEM - started by hitting right inner loop 3x
- completed by hitting right inner loop 1x in 25 seconds
* right or left spinner adds 10 seconds

CLU - started by lighting 3 rollover lanes C, L, U
- completed by hitting 4 CLU helmets (left orbit, left inner loop, right orbit, scoop)
* relighting C, L, U takes out left most CLU helmet

ZUSE - started by hitting Z,U,S,E
- completed by hitting Z,U,S,E in 25 seconds
* completing Z,U,S,E adds 10 seconds

QUORRA - started by hitting left inner loop 5x then arcade scoop
- completed by hitting right inner loop 1x
* ball added for hitting recognizer 3x

DISC - started by hitting disc 7x
- completed by:
1) hitting 10 discs (left orbit,left ramp,left inner loop, right inner loop,
right ramp, right orbit, or spinning disc)
2) hitting recognizer 4x
3) hittings spinning disc 1x
* restart multiball by hitting disc within 10 seconds of ball drain down to 1 ball

LIGHTCYCLE - started by 4 lightcycle shots then arcade scoop shot
- completed by collecting double super jackpot (left ramp then left inner loop then right ramp)
- completed by 2 super jackpots (left ramp then left inner loop)

RECOGNIZER - completed by hitting recognizer 4x

TRON - started by hitting the T,R,O,N targets
- completed by????

SEA OF SIMULATION - ?????

PORTAL - started by completing the ladder

#2 10 years ago

You just need to start all the modes, not finish...then hit the scoop..for SOS

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

You just need to start all the modes, not finish...then hit the scoop..for SOS

Is there any indicator on the playfield to indicate that Sea Of Simulation is ready to start or do you just have to keep track that you have all modes at least active?

#4 10 years ago

Hmm I don't think so, you just can see that all the modes are lit or flashing...then hit the scoop...not sure it does anything special that I recall...I've gotten SOS TONS of times...but only portal once so far...

#5 10 years ago

I think there is a good breakdown of all the rules on the pinballnews website...

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for the nice list above
New to playing TRON here.
How exactly do you finish spelling DAFT PUNK on the DMD and what does it do.
I always seem to spell daft very quickly and maybe get the P in punk, but not much further.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

TRON - started by hitting the T,R,O,N targets
- completed by????

Completing all targets (or using a ZEN shot) will activate Double Scoring, Bumpers, or Spinner.
Completing all three (Double Scoring, Bumpers, AND Spinner) in 1 ball will finish the mode (complete the ladder light)

This is easiest by stacking up a couple ZEN shots (they roll over from ball to ball) - Once you have 3, hit it a couple times, then it's done.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Is there any indicator on the playfield to indicate that Sea Of Simulation is ready to start or do you just have to keep track that you have all modes at least active?

Yes, kinda - The Flynn's Flasher, a little to the right and below the Arcade Scoop will do a slow pulse. This is the one Flasher you really DON'T want to LED - you will miss seeing the pulsing.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Thanks for the nice list above
New to playing TRON here.
I always seem to spell daft very quickly and maybe get the P in punk, but not much further.

You spell DAFT PUNK by making the ramp shots . The left ramp will spell DAFT and the right ramp ( you have to hit it off the upper left flipper ) will spell PUNK .

Once you spell DAFT PUNK the first time it will light the scoop for an Extra Ball . Spell it out a second time and it will light the scoop for Daft Punk Multiball ( on the LE , not sure about the pro code ) .

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from MIL:

Once you spell DAFT PUNK the first time it will light the scoop for an Extra Ball .

For the PRO, I believe it's a default of 12 ramp shots to light extra ball (possibly changeable via settings)

I also believe that LE has longer multi-ball save times than the pro. I could be wrong, but it would be interesting to see if someone had both machines side-by-side if was crazy or not.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I posted up a vid of Daft Punk multiball last week (basically you hit the disc to add a ball and the ramps for points):

#13 10 years ago

Tron trivia, can you actually start SoS without completing Flynn? Always wondered what the trial in SoS was for Flynn mode lol

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

Tron trivia, can you actually start SoS without completing Flynn? Always wondered what the trial in SoS was for Flynn mode lol

You can. I believe you shoot flynns arcade to progress but I could be wrong it's been awhile.

I have successfully achieved SOS without completing a single mode. Felt great getting there with an insurmountable ladder of completion ahead...

#15 10 years ago

I played a game last week were the only thing I did not have completed was Flynn.
Could not get to SOS. You only have to start each mode you do not have to complete it to make it to see.

The up side to completion is that if you lose SOS the first time and get kicked back out. All modes that you previously completed are already done and do not need re-completion to make it back to SOS again.

.....and points of course

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I played a game last week were the only thing I did not have completed was Flynn.
Could not get to SOS. You only have to start each mode you do not have to complete it to make it to see.
The up side to completion is that if you lose SOS the first time and get kicked back out. All modes that you previously completed are already done and do not need re-completion to make it back to SOS again.
.....and points of course

To get back to SOS a second time in a game you must play all the multiball modes again (Quorra, Light Cycle, Disc). Even if they already have been completed they need to be restarted to enable SOS again.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

To get back to SOS a second time in a game you must play all the multiball modes again (Quorra, Light Cycle, Disc). Even if they already have been completed they need to be restarted to enable SOS again.

As DaveH mentions, you have to restart them all:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-can-you-restart-sea-of-simulation

#19 10 years ago

I had the link for the pinballnews review which is where I did the modes synopsis list from by summarizing. I wasn't quite clear on the TRON mode which I've completed not really knowing how I did complete it.
In the game options menu, can the number of active modes necessary to get to Sea Of Simulation be changed? I'm wondering if I changed it (have to look this evening) to less that the full 9 modes because again yesterday I went to Sea Of Simulation with only 5 modes active and/or complete.

With the TRON mode, basically hitting all 4 targets (or Zen) activates 1 of the 3 bonus lights, but it is then completed basically by hitting a bumper or an orbit?

I have LEDs so will have to check if the FLYNN light is LED and not responding with the pulse flashing indicating Sea Of Simulation available.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

You can. I believe you shoot flynns arcade to progress but I could be wrong it's been awhile.
I have successfully achieved SOS without completing a single mode. Felt great getting there with an insurmountable ladder of completion ahead...

I made it to Portal on a location game (only second time ever despite this being the same game I got Portal for the FIRST time ever on, and that I had Portal probably 30 times the 6 months we owned Tron...) last night..

FLYNN and TRON lit solid, started SOS, completed CLU, ZUSE, QUORRA, GEM, DISC, And all but two lightcycle inserts on one SOS go. Picked up the extra ball during SOS as well. Had to make the two shots I was missing to re-enable lightcycle multiball, flipper trapped from arcade scoop on the start, immediately shot the Left Ramp, Quorra, Right Ramp while letting the added ball drain off the ball saver for the solid insert, then got Portal. Freakin' sweet.

So if you have all inserts SOLID, you do NOT have to go to SOS a second time to get to Portal! Just FYI! Don't try to get back to SOS unless you're going for points off the solid inserts, just hammer away at the modes you're missing and finish em!

#21 10 years ago

Yeah I actually got to Portal on mine once without the use of SoS at all . Shoot the scoop to start Portal and instead of it giving you the bonuses for each mode finished ( Flynn 1M , Gem 2M etc. ) it instead gives you a one off bonus of 50 million !! I think it said something like SoS completion bonus even though you don't actually do SoS .

Note to self : If I ever do this again , make sure I get double scoring going before hitting the scoop .

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from MIL:

Note to self : If I ever do this again , make sure I get double scoring going before hitting the scoop .

Yes! You haven't lived until you hit that scoop for 100 million!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I made it to Portal on a location game (only second time ever despite this being the same game I got Portal for the FIRST time ever on, and that I had Portal probably 30 times the 6 months we owned Tron...) last night..
FLYNN and TRON lit solid, started SOS, completed CLU, ZUSE, QUORRA, GEM, DISC, And all but two lightcycle inserts on one SOS go. Picked up the extra ball during SOS as well. Had to make the two shots I was missing to re-enable lightcycle multiball, flipper trapped from arcade scoop on the start, immediately shot the Left Ramp, Quorra, Right Ramp while letting the added ball drain off the ball saver for the solid insert, then got Portal. Freakin' sweet.
So if you have all inserts SOLID, you do NOT have to go to SOS a second time to get to Portal! Just FYI! Don't try to get back to SOS unless you're going for points off the solid inserts, just hammer away at the modes you're missing and finish em!

Jealous! And WAY beyond my skill level. I try to finish modes, but I usually choke on Lightcycle. Although I would probably have to move the game out if I was getting Portal 5 times a month. I like the challenge, and if I start beating a game too much, and settings or setup can't fix that, it has to go. Fortunately Tron kicks my ass so bad that there is no fear of it having to leave any time soon.

#24 10 years ago

Lightcycle is the one that always stops me, assuming I can actually make the Gem shot. You *have* to learn to trap and control the ball, or intentionally stack in Quorra and just pray that you make enough wild shots for it to count as a 3-way combo on the fly. That was my old strategy before I was proficient at doing the Left Ramp/Quorra/Right Ramp combo.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

100% true. The requirement for Portal is not SoS completion, it is all modes complete. This can happen before, after, or during SoS.

1 week later
#26 10 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Completing all targets (or using a ZEN shot) will activate Double Scoring, Bumpers, or Spinner.Completing all three (Double Scoring, Bumpers, AND Spinner) in 1 ball will finish the mode (complete the ladder light)
This is easiest by stacking up a couple ZEN shots (they roll over from ball to ball) - Once you have 3, hit it a couple times, then it's done.

So to complete the TRON mode, I just have to have?:
a) light the DOUBLE SCORING, BUMPERS, or SPINNER by starting the TRON mode with ZEN rollover or T-R-O-N completion
b) hit all 4 T-R-O-N targets or 1 ZEN rollover for each of the 3 modes so essentially another 12 shots using the targets or 3 shots using ZEN or a combo of both

When you say "stacking" ZEN shots, what does that mean or how does that work?

#27 10 years ago

Also, is the QUORRA finishing shot (during QUORRA multi ball) basically the same as the GEM finishing shot (both are the right inner loop lane)?

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Also, is the QUORRA finishing shot (during QUORRA multi ball) basically the same as the GEM finishing shot (both are the right inner loop lane)?

Yes.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I've compiled a list of the way to complete the ladder in TRON

Holy shnickeys, dont get a LOTR or your brain will explode.

#30 10 years ago

The problem with the rules on these games is unless you go online, the rules given by Stern are junk... I have AC/DC and dozens of people online are still trying to figure that out completely as I am...

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

DISC - started by hitting disc 7x
- completed by:
1) hitting 10 discs (left orbit,left ramp,left inner loop, right inner loop,
right ramp, right orbit, or spinning disc)
2) hitting recognizer 4x
3) hittings spinning disc 1x
* restart multiball by hitting disc within 10 seconds of ball drain down to 1 ball

#1 is incorrect, and I think #2 is off by one.

On (1), you have to hit the spinning disc, and only the spinning disc to progress toward level (2) of Disc MB. All the other Disc insert shots in the game simply award points and add to the next spinning disc shot's jackpot value. So if all you're looking to do is complete disc MB, completely ignore all the disc insert shots once you start the MB.

On (2), I believe it's only 3 hits to the recognizer.

One additional add: there is a mystery award that can be earned in SOS that spots you one shot in the current SOS mode. Very handy to use on the GEM level or the LC level if you're struggling with nailing the GEM shot.

Enjoy!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

On (1), you have to hit the spinning disc, and only the spinning disc to progress toward level (2) of Disc MB. All the other Disc insert shots in the game simply award points and add to the next spinning disc shot's jackpot value. So if all you're looking to do is complete disc MB, completely ignore all the disc insert shots once you start the MB.

Correct, I believe by default its 7 (?) spinning disc jackpots, 3 recognizer jackpots, then super is lit. The lit disc shot no longer progress the super jackpot and only score points and add value to the spinning disc jackpot (which, with 2X running can be very lucrative jackpot strategy).

On older code disc MB worked (I believe) with all blue shots being jackpots, and the spinning disc relit them - this is no longer the case.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

One additional add: there is a mystery award that can be earned in SOS that spots you one shot in the current SOS mode. Very handy to use on the GEM level or the LC level if you're struggling with nailing the GEM shot.
Enjoy!

So to complete the DISC mode, you have to enter disc multiball (hitting recognizer enough to drop down the gate, then 7 hits to spinning disc), hit the spinning disc again, then hit the recognizer 3 times? and the lit discs are only for points?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

So to complete the DISC mode, you have to enter disc multiball (hitting recognizer enough to drop down the gate, then 7 hits to spinning disc), hit the spinning disc again, then hit the recognizer 3 times? and the lit discs are only for points?

Correct. According to purpledrilmonkey, the factory setting is 7 spinning disc JP's required in DMB to progress toward the recognizer phase of DMB. The lit discs only provide points and ratchet up your spinning disc jackpot value.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Holy shnickeys, dont get a LOTR or your brain will explode.

lol

#36 10 years ago

---posted to wrong thread originally --

As for Tron Rules, The disc requirements are nicely explained below.

Marcus

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

You're confusing disc hits here.

To complete disc from game start (might be off by 1 or 2 shots but this is the idea):

4 recognizer hits to drop the bank
7 disc shots to START disc MB **sea of simulation requirement**

7 disc shots (not lit shots) to raise the recognizer
3 recognizer shots to lower recognizer
1 disc shot for super to collect super and complete disc **portal requirement**

In sea of simulation, disc is a bit different in that you do want to shoot the lit discs OR you can shoot the spinning disk to collect the leftmost lit shot.

2 weeks later
#38 10 years ago

LIGHTCYCLE - started by 4 lightcycle shots then arcade scoop shot- completed by collecting double super jackpot (left ramp then left inner loop)- completed by 2 super jackpots (left ramp then left inner loop then right ramp)

1) I for the life of me cannot complete this lightcycle mode... I've completed every other mode except this one. With the 2 multiball mode, do the shots have to be made consecutively right away? With 2 pinballs hitting around on the playfield, it seems impossible to hit one shot and immediately another right after. For example, can I hit left ramp, the other ball rolls over a C-L-U rollover or hits a T-R-O-N target and still hit the left inner loop to get the super jackpot? Is it just a matter of hitting these shots in the time allowed?

2) how do you score an extra ball? I did it last night where the scoop lit up EXTRA BALL but I'm not sure what I did to qualify for it.

3) any recommendations on getting the GEM shot more consistently? I get the mode started and always run out of time.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

LIGHTCYCLE - started by 4 lightcycle shots then arcade scoop shot- completed by collecting double super jackpot (left ramp then left inner loop)- completed by 2 super jackpots (left ramp then left inner loop then right ramp)
1) I for the life of me cannot complete this lightcycle mode... I've completed every other mode except this one. With the 2 multiball mode, do the shots have to be made consecutively right away? With 2 pinballs hitting around on the playfield, it seems impossible to hit one shot and immediately another right after. For example, can I hit left ramp, the other ball rolls over a C-L-U rollover or hits a T-R-O-N target and still hit the left inner loop to get the super jackpot? Is it just a matter of hitting these shots in the time allowed?
2) how do you score an extra ball? I did it last night where the scoop lit up EXTRA BALL but I'm not sure what I did to qualify for it.
3) any recommendations on getting the GEM shot more consistently? I get the mode started and always run out of time.

Check out the "I SUCK at TRON..." thread. Not saying anyone will be able to help with GEM, but you may get some ideas on how folks are coping with it!

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Left ramp 10-12 times (configurable in settings) and then hit the scoop. It's also awarded randomly at times (very, very, very seldom)

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

Left ramp 10-12 times (configurable in settings) and then hit the scoop. It's also awarded randomly at times (very, very, very seldom)

Ahhhh... that makes sense!
I actually have gotten the EXTRA BALL in the scoop via FLYNN'S ARCADE one time and have actually seen it scroll by several times as one of the possible awards...

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

bank it off the 4 tron standups on the left side. from a dead stop, roll ball down to the top of the flipper and go. with some practice you'll figure exactly where on the tip to bank it off.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

bank it off the 4 tron standups on the left side. from a dead stop, roll ball down to the top of the flipper and go. with some practice you'll figure exactly where on the tip to bank it off.

I presume this doesn't work on the LE? (Just curious, I have a Pro, gonna try this, damn Gem shot has had me stumped.)

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I presume this doesn't work on the LE? (Just curious, I have a Pro, gonna try this, damn Gem shot has had me stumped.)

FWIW, even though I consider myself pretty much an expert on Tron, I've NEVER been able to reliably bank off the targets on the pro. It's happened, don't get me wrong, but it's just as much of a crapshoot as shooting quorra and trying to nail the combo. And you don't get combo points for it, and potentially put the ball WAY out of control if you miss the bank shot as opposed to missing gem.

#45 10 years ago

for me I have way higher percentage of GEM off the standups than directly off the upper flipper with the recognizer down.

#46 10 years ago

for me I have way higher percentage of GEM off the standups than directly off the upper flipper with the recognizer down.

Play better.

#47 10 years ago

OK, I'm getting better and I made it to Portal a couple of weeks ago, and tonight I made it again - about 4 times in the past couple of weeks.

So, when I get to Portal, what do I do? What's the goal? How do I "attempt" to beat it?

#48 10 years ago

I'm not understanding... do you mean bounce the ball of the T-R-O-N targets to which flipper and then try to hit it into the right loop? From what I can tell, the only way to hit the GEM shot is by shooting it off of the left upper flipper but that's rare. I thought multiball modes would help increase the chances of hitting it but I'm so busy watching the lower flippers I don't have time to look at the upper flipper as easily.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I'm not understanding... do you mean bounce the ball of the T-R-O-N targets to which flipper and then try to hit it into the right loop? From what I can tell, the only way to hit the GEM shot is by shooting it off of the left upper flipper but that's rare. I thought multiball modes would help increase the chances of hitting it but I'm so busy watching the lower flippers I don't have time to look at the upper flipper as easily.

The ball can caroms off of the TRON targets (on the Pro) directly to the GEM lane. No upper flipper required. But it's difficult, and inconsistent at best.
But I find you're still better off using upper flipper. During multiball, trap 1-2 balls on the L flipper, and stage your upper flipper. Use single ball that's not cradled to feed the staged upper flipper from the R flipper. Next stop: Portal.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

So, when I get to Portal, what do I do? What's the goal? How do I "attempt" to beat it?

Shoot all shots as many times as there are inserts on the shot. When you light all inserts on a shot, you get an add a ball with no ball saver. Complete all inserts to get portal jackpot (I believe you just get it - it might light the scoop for the collect?)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pinball-rules-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.