Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daft_punk_(resized).jpg
Screen_Shot_2016-04-25_at_3.02.37_PM_(resized).png
Tron_right_DP_(resized).png
Tron_right_DP_(resized).png
Tron_left_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

INTRODUCTION
This is a work in progress and I am documenting this here in case there are those who can help or have suggestions, particularly with the "???" in the song list below. Many thanks to oga83 for the excellent Pinball Browser that makes all this possible: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

Downloads
See here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress/page/3#post-3091321
For those who want to customize: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress/page/4#post-3317935

CHANGE LOG
Version 20: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress#post-2943625
Version 36: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress#post-2986569
Version 41: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress/page/2#post-3030211
Version 3A and 44 described here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress/page/2#post-3075713
"Final" version is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress/page/3#post-3091321

OBJECTIVES
My objective is to replace all music in the game with Daft Punk music from the Tron Legacy soundtrack or the Tron Legacy Reconfigured album while being faithful to the film. For example, I wish to use music during the Light Cycle scene in the movie during the pinball machine's Light Cycle mode. Remixes will be used to fit within the allocated time. As is well known, only three Daft Punk tracks could be afforded by the budget.

PROPOSALS AND ALTERNATIVES
The following are the music tracks in the game and the proposed replacement:

- 448 Quorra: keep current OST / Derezzed ; or Derezzed (nhato Remix)
- 44A Quorra ???: keep current OST / Derezzed ; or Derezzed (nhato Remix)
- 44B Sea of Simulation: OST / Sea of Simulation (Amazon Exclusive)
- 44C Match: Reconfigured / The Son of Flynn (Moby Remix) ; or The Son Of Flynn (Goose Remix) R3J3CT3D ; or Reconfigured / Arena (Japanese Popstars Remix)
- 44D waiting for Disc War restart, starts at 15.069 of 44C: Reconfigured / The Son of Flynn (Moby Remix) ; or OST / Arena ; or Reconfigured / Arena (Japanese Popstars Remix)
- 44E Disc War: OST / Arena ; or Reconfigured / Arena (Japanese Popstars Remix)
- 44F Waiting for Rinzler, loops back at 0.3 seconds: Tron Legacy OST / Rinzler ; or Reconfigured / Rinzler (Kaskade Remix)
- 450 ZUSE: OST / Castor
- 451 GEM: Reconfigured / End of Line (Boyz Noize Remix)
- 452 ???: Reconfigured / Solar Sailer (Pretty Lights Remix)
- 453 ???: Reconfigured / Solar Sailer (Pretty Lights Remix)
- 454 Light Cycle: OST / The Game Has Changed ; or Reconfigured / The Grid (Crystal Method Remix) ; or TRON Legacy Mindless Faith Mix
- 456 Quorra: keep current OST / Derezzed ; or Derezzed (nhato Remix)
- 457 CLU2 ???: Reconfigured / CLU (Paul Oakenfold Remix)
- 458 CLU: Reconfigured / CLU (Paul Oakenfold Remix)
- 459 Game Over music, Portal: Reconfigured / The Grid (Crystal Method Remix) ; or The Grid (Alcala Remix)
- 45A Game play default short: keep current OST / End title song ; or Tron Legacy End Titles (Cyberslave remix)
- 45B Game play default: keep current OST / End title song ; or Tron Legacy End Titles (Cyberslave remix)

#2 8 years ago

I got ahead of myself and already made some apron cards during a break from music editing. These are sized to print on 4x6 photo paper. Be sure to turn off "edge bleed". Or turn on "fit to page".

Perhaps someone with more artistic skill can design something with better Daft Punk graphics.

Tron_left_(resized).pngTron_left_(resized).png
Tron_right_DP_(resized).pngTron_right_DP_(resized).png
Tron_right_DP_(resized).pngTron_right_DP_(resized).png

#7 8 years ago

Yes, I have seen that. It was the inspiration for this.

I hope to have more seemless edit points and use songs thematically consistent with the movie. For example, I don't want to use the song in the ZUSE nightclub movie scene for the Light Cycle multiball

I also want to normalize and compress the volume levels to avoid having to adjust the music volume in the menu, which tends to mess up some of the music fades during game play.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

My opinion:
45a
45b
Feel free to experiment changing these
I'm not sure to what, I'll throw out a few ideas soon, if you'd like

I am struggling with 45A and 45B which is the end title song. For one, it is already Daft Punk and is one of the few recognizable hits of the soundtrack. For two, I am having trouble identifying a thematically appropriate song that kicks ass. Any ideas?

#9 8 years ago

I could really use help on:
452- where is this used?
453- where is this used?
44C- where is this used besides match sequence?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

The music in the current remix is PERFECT for the mode. Just wish it was possible for it to last longer so it doesn't loop the way it does.
I'm happy to try anything out but not sure if I could let that one go!

I rather like it, too. But I can't change the length. And as great as David Thiel is, my objective here is to go with as much Daft Punk as possible.

#13 8 years ago

VERSION 20

Some notes:
1) Sorry for the poor quality. I have no professional video equipment or skills.
2) I normally play with a subwoofer, but this was messing up the camera's automatic audio recording level, so I disconnected it. That said, I did all my work with a subwoofer and Daft Punk deserves a subwoofer.
3) My objective was more Daft Punk, not necessarily more disco, so not all of the music is thumpin' bass, but the songs chosen are consistent with the movie.

I think I reflashed my machine more than 20 times. Time to go play and see how this is working...

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Video was great and the songs seemed to be pretty seamless. I wonder if there is a better more intense song for LC multiball or SOS? Other than that, great job!

I struggled with that as well.

For Sea of Simulation, this tranquil song is the only one that is remotely related - it is a tranquil scene in the movie as well. Certainly another song could be used, but then it begins to be unfaithful to the source material. Do you think it would make a difference if I added a simple bass drum thump to it?

For Light Cycle, I used the same song as the movie ("The Rules Have Changed"), which was an incredibly low key song in contrast with the on-screen action. The "Reconfigured" album has a remix of "Arena", but the portion of the song that has the main theme overlayed with a rising/falling siren that is very difficult to loop (jump to 2:42):

I am open to suggestions.

#18 8 years ago

Light cycle is 38.942 seconds
Sea of Simulation is 23.140 seconds
Disc Wars is 26.976 seconds

There's not much time. What's frustrating is that these are so short, yet the game over music is allotted 55.209 seconds, but only about 10 seconds is played before it fades out. Huh?

And yes, it must be exactly that length. Any longer and there will be an abrupt transition when it loops back. Any shorter and there will be silence. (This is the part that takes 99% of the effort.)

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about Portal? I think the Grid crystal method song is the best on that reconfigured album so it would be cool to have it rocking at an epic part in the game.

Do you know which one is Portal? I must admit that I am avoiding it because I don't want to spoil it for myself. I'm guessing it is 452 or 453 because I haven't heard those two songs in my other glass-off testing. Maybe even 44C (game over music)?

Dang, it's tough working around those voice-overs in Grid Crystal Method.

#25 8 years ago

I added some potentially punchier songs in the first post as alternate songs.

#27 8 years ago

Hiccup: 44F Rinzler seems to have some software trick that prevents it from looping smoothly. It seems to skip over a quarter second of the music. This is going to take a while to reverse-engineer.

EDIT: fixed. 44F restarts the sound loop at approximately 0.3 seconds.

#28 8 years ago

I need a volunteer who can be a beta tester and knows how to use Pinball Browser.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

transition between loops

99% of the work is this. I'm somewhere around 30 revisions and machine reflashes.

2 weeks later
#35 8 years ago

VERSION 36

I have settled on the following tracks for this mix:

- 448 Quorra: keep current OST / Derezzed
- 44A Quorra ???: keep current OST / Derezzed
- 44C Match: Reconfigured / The Son of Flynn (Moby Remix)
- 44D waiting for Disc War restart, starts at 15.069 of 44C: Reconfigured / The Son of Flynn (Moby Remix)
- 44E Disc War: Reconfigured / Arena (Japanese Popstars Remix)
- 44F Waiting for Rinzler, loops back at 0.3 seconds: Reconfigured / Rinzler (Kaskade Remix)
- 452 ???: Reconfigured / Solar Sailer (Pretty Lights Remix)
- 454 Light Cycle: TRON Legacy Mindless Faith Mix
- 456 Quorra: keep current OST / Derezzed
- 459 Game Over music, Portal: Reconfigured / The Grid (Crystal Method Remix)
- 45A Game play default short: keep current OST / End title song
- 45B Game play default: keep current OST / End title song

The songs were chosen to target the following goals:
1) Even thought David Thiel's music is excellent in every way, this mix consists solely of Daft Punk tracks although most of them have been remixed by other artists.
2) The songs chosen are faithful to the movie. For example, the Light Cycle Multiball mode uses a remix of the song used in the movie's light cycle scene and the song for Portal mode is consistent with the movie's scene where Sam and Quorra exit through the portal.

The video has the subwoofer unplugged due to the way the low frequencies were affecting the auto-level adjustment, but the audio was selected and mixed based on evaluations on the machine with a subwoofer. As usual, I have no dedicated video equipment or any relevant videography skills:

A special big thanks to oga83 for tracking down the cause of sound distortion on certain songs. Pinball Browser has never been better!

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about Portal? I think the Grid crystal method song is the best on that reconfigured album so it would be cool to have it rocking at an epic part in the game.

The end of game song turns out to also be the Portal song, so that is what this remix does.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Nice work! I like the choices you made. Just curious, since I have an LE, what would happen if I upload this code? Would daft punk MB just remain the same?
I'd be happy to test it out if you can PM a link to the download.

The code is built by taking the base code and substituting music. For an LE, one would have to start with the LE code and substitute the music. The music seems to exist in both Pro and LE codes, but the Pro may not trigger all of them. I still haven't been able to trigger sounds 452, 453, and 457. If you have an LE, play those sounds through Pinball Browser and post here if any of them sound like the music you get in Daft Punk mode.

1 week later
#58 8 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I meant to ask if your remix includes that lovely deep bass drop at the start of LightCycle Multiball from the official rom?

That is a sound effect that is left unchanged. I have only changed looping music tracks.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

... like "Fall" with its relentless drive and crescendo...

I love "Fall", but it doesn't seem to thematically fit into one of the modes. For example, I wouldn't want to use that track for CLU mode.

I'm open to suggestions.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

... "The Game has Changed" with the bass kicking in at the 0:30 mark.

This is another track I love (see video for version 20), but no matter how much dynamic compression I use, it sounds too quiet. I went with a remix that has more pronounced drums.

#63 8 years ago

I am wondering if anyone thinks the following tracks need a remix:
1) The default game music ("OST / End Titles", heard immediately when starting a new game)
2) Quorra multiball ("OST / Derezzed")

I am asking because both of these are Daft Punk tracks that are already awesome, in my opinion, and need no change. Furthermore, alternatives seem to be questionable at best and very un-Daft-Punk-like at worst . For example,

1) The best replacement for the "OST / End Titles" seems to be the "Reconfigured / End Titles (Remixed By Sander Kleinenberg)" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UOE9R2
This is decidedly more funky than the current track.

2) The best replacement for "OST / Derezzed" seems to be "Reconfigured / Derezzed (Remixed By The Glitch Mob)" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UOE81Y
This is a general pain in the neck because it is split into four fragments. The current four fragments have a great variety which I cannot find in the "Reconfigured / Derezzed (Remixed By The Glitch Mob)".

However, if some people think these would be a great changes and are willing to volunteer to try these potentially questionable remixes, please PM me.

#69 8 years ago

VERSION 41

This video shows four more significant edits. This one has gone all the way and ditched faithfulness to Daft Punk in favor of changing every music track. Accordingly, the following additional changes were made for electronic dance music lovers while remaining faithful to the themes from the movie. I suspect many people will not like this version, if only because remixing Daft Punk's "Derezzed" seems to be a fool's errand:

- 448 Quorra multiball: Derezzed (nhato Remix)
- 44A Quorra multiball: Derezzed (nhato Remix)
- 456 Quorra multiball: Derezzed (nhato Remix)
- 45B Game play default: Tron Legacy End Titles (Cyberslave remix)
- 459 Game Over music, Portal: The Grid (Alcala Remix)
- 44C Match: Reconfigured / Arena (Japanese Popstars Remix)
- 44D waiting for Disc War restart, starts at 15.069 of 44C: Reconfigured / Arena (Japanese Popstars Remix)

Thanks to nicoga3000 for reaching out to me with some suggestions!

3 weeks later
#72 8 years ago

The final versions:

3A "conservative remix" preserves the original Daft Punk tracks (the game start music, Quorra multiball) in the game and attempts to use minimally remixed options as much as possible. This is more for Daft Punk fans.

44 "aggressive remix" replaces all music with remixes and tends more towards electronic dance music with potentially heavy handed remixes that do not sound like typical Daft Punk tracks. This is more for people who just want to rock.

Both versions share the following:

- 44C Match: Reconfigured / Arena (Japanese Popstars Remix)
- 44D waiting for Disc War restart, starts at 15.069 of 44C: custom remix of OST / Arena and Reconfigured / Arena (Japanese Popstars Remix)
- 44E Disc War: Reconfigured / Arena (Japanese Popstars Remix)
- 44F Waiting for Rinzler, loops back at 0.3 seconds: Reconfigured / Rinzler (Kaskade Remix)
- 452 ???: Reconfigured / custom remix of Tron Legacy End Titles (Sander Kleinenberg Remix)

The two versions differ as follows
3A "conservative remix":
- 448 Quorra: keep current OST / Derezzed
- 44A Quorra ???: keep current OST / Derezzed
- 454 Light Cycle: TRON Legacy Mindless Faith Mix
- 456 Quorra: keep current OST / Derezzed
- 459 Game Over music, Portal: Reconfigured / The Grid (Crystal Method Remix)
- 45B Game play default: keep current OST / End title song

44 "aggressive remix"
- 448 Quorra: Derezzed (nhato Remix)
- 44A Quorra ???: Derezzed (nhato Remix)
- 44B Sea of Simulation: Fall (DJ DLG Lazor remix)
- 454 Light Cycle: Reconfigured / The Grid (Crystal Method Remix)
- 456 Quorra: Derezzed (nhato Remix)
- 459 Game Over music, Portal: The Grid (Alcala Remix)
- 45B Game play default: Tron Legacy End Titles (Cyberslave remix)

1 week later
#101 8 years ago

If you don't know what a 7 zip archive is, please google it.
The password is the name (not the URL) of this website in lowercase. Please, just figure it out on your own and don't post it here.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00909784022342358978

Added over 7 years ago: The above link no longer works.

If you don't know what a 7 zip archive is, please google it. The password is the name (not the URL) of this website in lowercase. Please, just figure it out on your own and don't post it here.

The pro code is here with the same password: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tiw6lbh7qkfvjvz/AAA0BzEyoxo9UoC1Xwcste5Oa?dl=0

#102 8 years ago

Sorry for the lateness and those who waited patiently. I needed to work out one remaining issue that had eluded me for a while.

Thanks to those who tested initial versions and provided useful feedback.

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I of course only endorse the Daft Punk without the Japanese remixes.

My original goal was indeed to preserve as much Daft Punk as possible since I am a Daft Punk fan. However, the latest version is heavily remixed for the following reasons:
1) Most of the feedback seemed to indicate a preference for remixing everything rather than being purely Daft Punk
2) Many of the Daft Punk tracks are very downbeat and most of the feedback seemed to indicate a preference for upbeat tracks. This ruled out The Grid, The Game Has Changed (for Light Cycle Multiball), Arena (for Disc Battle), and Sea Of Simulation (for Sea of Simulation). Therefore, I ended up with remixes of these tracks or an alternative that was still consistent with the movie.
3) Even though I am a Daft Punk fan, I am not sure that the "pure" version worked out well as a pinball soundtrack within the pinball sound system. Some tracks sounded drowned out by the callouts, and not because of a lack of volume but because a slow tempo seemed to make the music sound static. I learned from this experience that slower tempo music often does not work well in modes with a lot of callouts.
4) Finally, I think this works out better from a fair use perspective.

1 week later
#123 7 years ago

LE version is included

#129 7 years ago

Google "7z".

#133 7 years ago

Do you still have your high scores? That could indicate if you actually reflashed your machine or not.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No, everything reset. Also, I had the previous custom music BIN in there with all the remixes, and now it's totally stock.

Are you sure you didn't just mix up the files? I re-downloaded and checked the files. You should hear different music as soon as you press START.

3 weeks later
#145 7 years ago

My first attempt tended to adhere to the original soundtrack (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress#post-2943625). However, in practice, callouts seem to drown out down-tempo music, regardless of the volume and dynamic compression that I applied. I've had feedback from other beta-testers confirm this. Up-tempo music tends to hold its own better against sound effects and call-outs, which necessarily results in departure from the original movie soundtrack.

2 months later
#152 7 years ago

This is the final music edit during an actual game.

Sorry, but the audio is left-only for the first few minutes but becomes stereo again later. Most modes (except the wizard) were activated at least momentarily:

1 month later
#156 7 years ago

For those who want to create their own mix and have a registered copy of Pinball Browser, here are the WAV files. There are between 1 to 3 music files for each sound request. You can pick which one you like better or stick with the stock sound.

All WAV files have already been trimmed to the correct length, filtered to 22kHz mono (ensuring that these are totally useless for normal music listening), and named with the music request number.

You will need http://www.7-zip.org/ . The password is the name (not the URL) of this website in all lowercase. Please just figure this out on your own rather than discussing this here. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z1ae12abxzz7k1u/AAC3TMqOhw2B116t_j5qJ87Ma?dl=0

#157 7 years ago

This is another reminder that getting a registered copy of Pinball Browser is totally worth it and this is the only way you can create your own customized Tron music remix: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images#post-872012

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress?tu=nosro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.