(Topic ID: 81446)

Tron Legacy Pro: issues with intermittent start-up - any help appreciated!

By CosmicF

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by CosmicF
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gebrochene_loetstellen.jpg
Cold_solder_joint.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi guys,

Inaugural post here, but long time reader

I'm posting this because I'm at my wits end with an issue on my Tron Legacy Pro machine. It will never reliably start up. The GI comes on, but no DMD or actual game-board stuff. Now the strange thing is that very rarely I can turn the machine off and on dozens of times and it'll fire up, but more often than not I'll need to jiggle with every connector in the back-box. Sometimes I touch one cable and it fires right up. Other times it won't matter how much I play with that cable, it won't fire up till I jiggle others around. I've tried to determine every combination to find a weak point or something that's responsible, but it seems to be totally random as to what makes it finally fire up.

I've replaced all fuses with the correct slow-blo ratings as per the manual, and checked all connections inside the machine. I haven't yet pulled every connector off the boards and re-seated them as some are glued and they all have difficult clips to remove -- I'm worried I'll do more damage than good doing that. It's running the latest 1.74 code.

I should note that cabinet is loaded with just about every single mod imaginable. I'm about to install the Eli ramp light kit which I think will truly make it decked out with everything there is (short of the EL side-cabinet trimming).

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be happening I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

If you can jiggle connections on the board and that can make it fire up properly sounds like bad/broken soldering on the pins. Maybe pop the board off and visually inspect, test for continuity with a meter, reflow some solder.

Good luck!

Edit----if you see this=bad

Cold_solder_joint.jpgCold_solder_joint.jpg

Gebrochene_loetstellen.jpgGebrochene_loetstellen.jpg

#3 10 years ago

i agree with center flank..... sounds like a loose connection on the board. examine closely and take your time and diagnose with the wiring chart and you should be able to figure it out

#4 10 years ago

i got EXACTLY the same prob on mine (except the cable fact), was clearly a "boot bug", motherboard was returned to STERN, got a new one, and since all is OK...

#5 10 years ago

All my sterns do this occasionally but a quick power cycle solves it.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips, guys. I guess I'll take the boards off the back and have a good look at al the solder joints. I'm based in Australia so sending back to Stern is probably not the best option (will they even deal with me?). Also I wouldn't know which board to send back as jiggling/seating cables on either board can start it up at different times...

#7 10 years ago

Trying to get it replicated on a regular basis is the biggest thing, but of course not always possible. I'd also check that the boards are mounted securely ( all screws present and tight) as the mounts can be ground sources.

#8 10 years ago

btw75, thanks for the input. I agree 100% but I have not been able to replicate the issue, and this is after months of trying different things. I also suspected ground (it explains things the best) but found nothing loose - I'll go back and triple check they they are all secure. I might even try a different power outlet - perhaps the ground is faulty in there!?

#9 10 years ago

Absolutely no DMD, right?

#10 10 years ago

i'm pretty sure Stern will help you out. contact them online (can be slow sometimes) and ask for help.
they came out (at my home) and did all kinds of stuff on my machine when I first got it.

#11 10 years ago

This might be a shot in the dark..... But I have had some improbable issue... and unexplainable issues with my Tron as well....

for me: As I can recall (because I did not document it, stupid me),,,,, I think I reseated everything in the coin door and it started working again without issue.

tonite it's still working so maybe that's it.

Also, the Eli light kit is EXCELLENT. Best mod I put on the machine for my wife for Christmas.!!!

#12 10 years ago

Next time it happens, you might want to get voltages from every test point and write those down. I'm just trying to help gather more information at this point.

#13 10 years ago

With the power off, pull the starter for the florescent bulb in the back box and give it a try like that. Don't recall the florescent setup causing this issue before, but it can cause odd problems. Easy to try.

#14 10 years ago

Thanks for the continued suggestions, guys!

btw75, nope, no DMD at all - it's just as if you were to unplug power to the game board. Which points would I test specifically? Is there something in the manual about that?

Geremy, I will try reseating everything in the coin door tonight and see if that helps.

phishrace, I have tried to start the cab without the florescent bulb in there at all with the same results. Is that what you mean by pulling the starter?

Brett I'm in AU, but I'm close to contacting them anyways!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from CosmicF:

Thanks for the continued suggestions, guys!
btw75, nope, no DMD at all - it's just as if you were to unplug power to the game board. Which points would I test specifically? Is there something in the manual about that?

There are test points for each voltage level. on this version, see the 3 dots on the bottom left and the others are to the right of the furthermost big capacitor. Again, just trying to get some data collected which might help someone when looking at this problem.
http://ksarcade.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/a449636a7e0327a12453e7ee4d97c439/s/a/samdrv.jpg

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

There are test points for each voltage level. on this version, see the 3 dots on the bottom left and the others are to the right of the furthermost big capacitor. Again, just trying to get some data collected which might help someone when looking at this problem.
http://ksarcade.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/a449636a7e0327a12453e7ee4d97c439/s/a/samdrv.jpg

Thanks! I'll be sure to test those also to see if provides any further info.

#17 10 years ago

I've been away installing Eli ramp kit over the past few days (wow that thing is amazing!) and unfortunately still have the intermittent power-up issue.

Quoted from btw75:

There are test points for each voltage level. on this version, see the 3 dots on the bottom left and the others are to the right of the furthermost big capacitor.

So I checked these and the voltages are spot on, even when it doesn't fire up

Quoted from Geremy13:

for me: As I can recall (because I did not document it, stupid me),,,,, I think I reseated everything in the coin door and it started working again without issue.

This actually made the machine fire up a few goes first try! Thought it might have been it. Then the following morning I tried to turn it on again and nothing. No matter how much fiddling I did with the door, no joy. As soon as I pressed a few things in the back box again, it fired up. So frustrating!

I guess I'll rip the boards out next and check for those dry solder joints. Just thought I'd give an update in the meantime.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

As soon as I pressed a few things in the back box again, it fired up. So frustrating!

Maybe its time to be systematic with this in hopes of finding which board or connector you can touch to get it to work every time.

#19 10 years ago

There were a LOT of reports of this on KLOV back in the day on early revisions of the code and the first run Pros and LE's... haven't heard of it in a while, but I'll ask the obvious question anyways....are you running updated code? I'd assume so since you're installing Eli's kit..

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

There were a LOT of reports of this on KLOV back in the day on early revisions of the code and the first run Pros and LE's... haven't heard of it in a while, but I'll ask the obvious question anyways....are you running updated code? I'd assume so since you're installing Eli's kit..

Yeah, he's got 1.74 installed. Did Stern also update the boot ROM? That could be something worth checking- I don't know off hand.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Maybe its time to be systematic with this in hopes of finding which board or connector you can touch to get it to work every time.

Yeah I've tried that but there is no correlation (it seems) any time. Rarely does touching the same thing twice make a difference, it seems to be totally random which is nuts. I will continue to search for some commonality!

Quoted from Frax:

are you running updated code?

Yep, 1.74 as btw75 mentioned.

#22 10 years ago

Can you juggle things to make the game STOP working?

#23 10 years ago

I don't want to post too soon, but I think I fixed it!

The Eli ramp kit required a .156 IDC pusher for install so I figured I'd go over every cable to the backboard with the tool to ensure each wire was nice and snug. Ever since then, I've had 100% turn on rate! I don't want to jinx it, but I've powered cycled dozens of times over the past few days and it's worked every time. If it stays this way the next few days, I'll be sure to update the topic as solved.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to assist! Fingers crossed this nightmare is over!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.50
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Trade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-pro-issues-with-intermittent-start-up-any-help-appreciated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.