20190721_135059 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190623_194956 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190623_194950 (resized).jpg
20190622_125625 (resized).jpg
20190622_125623 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190515_150150 (resized).jpg
tron_test_small LCD (resized).jpg
overlay_example 1 (resized).PNG
There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

SOLD OUT, not making more for now while I work on new code: https://flynns.online/collections/all
The 27inch LCD's I use went out of production so I will have to source a new one that fits in the backbox as good as the Acer did.

Latest update here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-play-field-lcd-mod/page/4#post-5042632

I'll update this thread as I make progress.

1/7/2018 UPDATE:
SAM Code integration updated to version 1.4:
v1.4. Changes to SAM version:
* Added new DiscMB Restart mode so that detection of the mode state is possible if you don't hit the DISCMB Restart shot.
* Added DiscMB Restart Video
* DiscMB Return detection
* Added Return to Grid Detection
* Zen mode added
* Find Flynn and Flynn found mode detection added
* Fixed Most Active modes to clear the video list and default to The Grid video when complete
* Added structure for re-setting states on Active Multiball mode completion
* Added wait times in between mode completions to allow for video updates
* Fixed Game over video
* Added placeholder videos for SOS and Portal
* Added Portal mode detection
* updated firmware version detection to 1.32
* better comms version detection code
* Turned off TRON mode for now, TRON was too busy and interrupting modes
* added debug output and log files to usb
* Prelim Ball drain detection (only in code/debug)
* Prelim Active Score per Player (only in code/debug)

BACKBOX LCD Progress: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-play-field-lcd-mod/page/2#post-4134152
Oh and this might be an option in the future:

PLAYFIELD LCD Progress: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-play-field-lcd-mod/page/2#post-4134041
12/20/2017 Latest video:

1/29/2018 video: APRON LCD Instruction Card replacement:

Alight, I am going to let the cat out of the bag on a mod I have been working on for Tron. Before you get your hopes up, I am still working through some technical challenges with integration into modes so this could flop at some point with a technical road block or become so complex that it wouldn't be feasible for someone else to implement. I don't have a clue how long this is going to take me, but I wanted to document progress here in one place as I work through the different ideas. If everyone hates it, I'll just keep it to myself, no biggy.

Recognizer Idea:
Why not have a playfield LCD like Stern is doing on Star Wars? (see Picture attached)
Stern Logo (resized).JPGStern Logo (resized).JPG

1. Start with a 5 inch LCD and show a video of a Recognizer animation
tron_recognizer (resized).pngtron_recognizer (resized).png

2. What about showing video from scenes in the movie based on some interaction with the machine?

3. Integrate a PiZero into the LCD with GPIO interaction with the game. Most likely Python code...
This one requires a bit more work. My original plan was to use light sensors under each of the multi-ball modes and kick off an instructional image that the mode is ready and then play a movie clip during the multi-ball mode. Using light sensors is not clean and there needs to be a better solutions for sensing when you are in a mode or not.

4. Build all the media for Mode Starts, and Cut video for different multi-ball modes. (see attached pics)

Check List:

Mod LCD for 5v

integrate Pi Zero into LCD

Hide all OS outputs on Pi

Stern Boot Animation

Power LCD from Pi GPIO

Redo Advance Recognizer animation Arrows to match size of 3-bank target
Media:
Media for mutli-ball modes
Media for Video clips for each modes
Convert Static Mode start images to Animated videos
Attract Video
Code:
Code integration Option 1 -- In progress
Code integration Option 2
Code integration Option 3

Hardware:

Fix dirty 5v Power issues with LED lights
Better Power connectors

Quorra Multi-ball2 (resized).pngQuorra Multi-ball2 (resized).png
disc wars multiball (resized).pngdisc wars multiball (resized).png

Tron Wheelie (resized).JPGTron Wheelie (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I think this would be cool. Since eli's ramp kit has the triggers for all the mode starts maybe there is a way to piggyback off that.. it runs on a teensy running a programmable sketch or total lightshow if you have that installed, similar idea.

#3 6 years ago

I do have Eli's kit installed. I'll look at that, I need it to communicate with the Pi for video but I know you can do that between an Arduino and a Pi, so I don't see why that wouldn't work for the teensy. Great Idea!

#5 6 years ago

Subscribed

#6 6 years ago

This is a very cool mod. I have the DMD Extender with the LCD screen mounted in the apron. I like this one much better.
Which Python libraries are you using to generate the video and graphics?

#8 6 years ago

Just saved the thread, I'll be keeping my eyes open for this.

#10 6 years ago

Interested

#11 6 years ago

Interested as well.

#12 6 years ago

You may want to take a look at Eric lyon's Pinduino, it is partly doing what you want already, although with LEDs. I don't think the connection with the Pi would be dramatically different

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You may want to take a look at Eric lyon's Pinduino, it is partly doing what you want already, although with LEDs. I don't think the connection with the Pi would be dramatically different

Yup, I have one as of last week, and worked on integrating this weekend, but it only monitors J6 and J7 so getting mode status seemed to be more difficult. He and I discussed it and I think I could get status based on the Recognizer bank and the disc motor spinning which would at least allow for videos in those two modes. Once I started working on videos and intros to each mode, I really wanted to go ahead and get the full experience.

Right now I know I could do this.
On Start show recognizer bank animation
If recognizer bank is down or disk motor is spinning, show intro video of Sam entering the Grid and the Recognizer picking him up.
Then show Disc War Multiball Animation, If Disc War multiball starts, show video of Disc Wars
If Disc stops spinning, go back to Recognizer animation.

This could be version 1 and I know I could get that working, but there is a lot more potential here.

#14 6 years ago

#15 6 years ago

This looks super cool! Tron is my favorite. I have twenty years of experience doing After Effects stuff ... if you would like any help generating content PM me! No fee of course

But your stuff looks very nice already so you're probably all set!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

This looks super cool! Tron is my favorite. I have twenty years of experience doing After Effects stuff ... if you would like any help generating content PM me! No fee of course
But your stuff looks very nice already so you're probably all set!

Oh, I don't feel like I am good at the media side at all. I am using Paint.net and Hitfilm Express for all of the animations and to cut the video and re-size to the native resolution of the LCD. I might take you up on the offer at some point as I would like some better effects in some of the transitions. I worked on the Boot animation tonight so this will run during the Pi Startup.

I also got the 5v mod done on the LCD. This could technically run from either 12v or 5v so I could have both options.

#17 6 years ago

Looks very good!

#18 6 years ago

Looks cool! What if you build the media and I'll drive the signals for it. I already have a comms board sending RS232 signals back to the machine CPU for sound calling. I can trigger off any mode any time, from all lamps and switches. I also have native serial outputs on my main board. Just name the type of signal you need to drive your screen and I should be able to provide it.

#19 6 years ago

This is one of those projects where if one or two experts in the weak/unknown areas collaborate with the OP, this is going to be a homerun.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Looks cool! What if you build the media and I'll drive the signals for it. I already have a comms board sending RS232 signals back to the machine CPU for sound calling. I can trigger off any mode any time, from all lamps and switches. I also have native serial outputs on my main board. Just name the type of signal you need to drive your screen and I should be able to provide it.

Does your board sit where Eli's controller board currently sits? I have 2 boards there already and assume most probably do (Pinbits ColorDMD board is stacked on mine), but I would LOVE for that to work. Let me finish the LCD board integration this weekend so all of the hardware pieces are out of the way, and at least get different videos triggering from the GPIO, and I will hit you up about integrating.

#21 6 years ago

Don't forget about the beta boards that Eli used, they are different than the production boards and I'd hate to be excluded.

#22 6 years ago

A little more work on the media last night. I plan to finish the LCD hardware this weekend and will post some pics of the process for those that want to see it.

Here is the Light Cycle Multiball screen. This is my least favorite so I need to go back and work on it again when I am not staring at it all day.

Here is the current flow, but I will need to see what is and isn't possible based on mode awareness.

Mode Script (resized).pngMode Script (resized).png

Light Cycle Multiball (resized).pngLight Cycle Multiball (resized).png

#23 6 years ago

I also have a 5 inch LCD coming in so I will see if that is too big as compared to the 4.3. It gets here tomorrow so this should keep me busy.

#24 6 years ago

Looking great man! Offer stands to help out with After Effects stuff in the future

#25 6 years ago

Looks very promissing, I like it so far

#26 6 years ago

No media updates today. I have been working on ideas for pulling the mode state from the machine. I am currently testing the serial connection on the S.A.M. board. So far so good, I can get process changes during modes so I am going to create a simply python program that reads what mode it thinks it's in and displays it on the screen. The commspatch from pinballbrowser seems to work well.

I would love to know what the zc command does over serial, it seems to do nothing.
zc: get information about zero cross. score list also doesn't work so I wonder if it was a difference in the commspatch and the version of firmware I am running in Tron.

I got the 5 inch LCD in and I'll be fully integrating it tomorrow and taking pictures.

comms (resized).pngcomms (resized).png

#27 6 years ago

I love my Tron pin and this is a very cool mod! I'll be following your thread with great interest.

#28 6 years ago

When you get the mode detection working it would excellent if you could follow the ladder priority for the videos on the small LCD.
Currently the music and (eli's) ramp light change to the highest mode running on the ladder. This works when stacking too.
RECOGNIZER>LIGHT CYCLE>DISC>QUORRA>ZUSE>CLU>GEM
Notice Flynn and TRON inserts don't have their own music change (though we added ramp lighting for FLYNN).

So for example you start zuse, the game plays the zuse music segment then you start quorra, ramp lights change to green, music changes to quorra sample and your video could change to the quorra segment. If however you start CLU when you have ZUSE running, the music doesn't change, ramp lights stay white for ZUSE and your video segment would continue to be ZUSE.

Also there is ladder priority in Sea of Simulation, so there is an opportunity to follow this same logic or add different video segments for the insert running since there is only one running at a time in SOS.

#29 6 years ago

4.3 inch display or 5 inch display?

4.3 INCH No Flash
IMG_0493 (resized).JPGIMG_0493 (resized).JPG

4.3 INCH Flash
IMG_0494 (resized).JPGIMG_0494 (resized).JPG

5 INCH No Flash
IMG_0496 (resized).JPGIMG_0496 (resized).JPG

5 INCH Flash
IMG_0495 (resized).JPGIMG_0495 (resized).JPG

#30 6 years ago

Without the photos being marked, hard to tell which is which. If the cost difference is significant, I'd go with the 4.3.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Without the photos being marked, hard to tell which is which. If the cost difference is significant, I'd go with the 4.3.

The price between is negligible. Marked them, To me it looks like there is just less bezel on the 5 inch. It has a higher resolution, is easier to mod for 5v, but has a different bezel with a shield that can either be at the top or the bottom. The 5 inch has a bezel is not equal on all sides.

The 4.3 looks more like the Stern LCD to me.

#32 6 years ago

Maybe you answered your own question--go with the one that is easier to work with, perhaps.

#33 6 years ago

If you're asking for opinions the 5 inch looks better

#34 6 years ago

I hadn't seen your wheelie mod before, that's very clever, nice job.

#35 6 years ago

Nice work! you're making me miss it.
Glad to see that is so well taken care of.
Can't wait to see this in action.

I like the 5in better

#36 6 years ago

I like the 5in better. And if it is easier for you to work with that's even better.

#37 6 years ago

Cool, going to monitor this thread.

#38 6 years ago

Some updates from this week. Worked mostly on the coding pieces to make sure I can detect modes and show content based on those modes. I have a couple of different options that could be used and should have a demo of something this weekend. It will probably just be Recognizer Bank Animation + Recognizer Landing Video + Disc Wars for now.

I love the little 5 inch display. It has a much better resolution in person and isn't too big for the spot where the recognizer goes, in my opinion. It is also really simple to mod and it can be completely powered by the Pi.

I worked on some more media items and re-did the recognizer animation this week to match the arrows above each target on the 3-bank. I worked on Clu, Gem, and an idea for quick shots like Super Spinner(needs an S), depending on how fast I can react to hits.

Media attached.

Super Spinner (resized).pngSuper Spinner (resized).png

IMG_0524 (resized).JPGIMG_0524 (resized).JPG

IMG_0518 (resized).JPGIMG_0518 (resized).JPG

Gem hurryup-white (resized).pngGem hurryup-white (resized).png

Terminate Clu (resized).pngTerminate Clu (resized).png

disc wars multiball light (resized).pngdisc wars multiball light (resized).png

#39 6 years ago

This looks pretty badass man

#40 6 years ago

Switched from the Pi 3 to the Pi Zero today, got the 5 inch screen installed and tested the new animation. Hard to capture how good it looks with a phone, but you should get the idea. I don't have anything triggering yet, that is the very next thing. Hope everyone had a good weekend, GO COWBOYS!

IMG-0552 (resized).JPGIMG-0552 (resized).JPG
IMG-0551 (resized).JPGIMG-0551 (resized).JPG
IMG_0546 (resized).JPGIMG_0546 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#41 6 years ago

Small update today, still waiting on some code integration and hardware for the different options for pulling mode state from the game. I have a path forward on 2 of the 3 and hope to have a demo with real integration this week. I also got my first batch of 5 inch displays from China which took shorter than I thought it would. While I waited on stuff I started thinking through some fun options for the display and spun up the 3d printer. I also tested out an HDMI 5 inch display but I don't like the viewing angle and I don't think there is a big difference between the displays. Pictures attached.

Death Star for fun, as a temporary topper for my Star Wars Premium and to make sure my 3d printer was calibrated.

IMG-0592 (resized).JPGIMG-0592 (resized).JPG

IMG-0594 (resized).JPGIMG-0594 (resized).JPG

IMG-0593 (resized).JPGIMG-0593 (resized).JPG

IMG-0590 (resized).JPGIMG-0590 (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Small update today, still waiting on some code integration and hardware for the different options for pulling mode state from the game. I have a path forward on 2 of the 3 and hope to have a demo with real integration this week. I also got my first batch of 5 inch displays from China which took shorter than I thought it would. While I waited on stuff I started thinking through some fun options for the display and spun up the 3d printer. I also tested out an HDMI 5 inch display but I don't like the viewing angle and I don't think there is a big difference between the displays. Pictures attached.
Death Star for fun, as a temporary topper for my Star Wars Premium and to make sure my 3d printer was calibrated.

Here's hoping one of those screens has my name on it keep up the good work

#43 6 years ago

Nice, I'm tempted to buy this and I don't even have a Tron (yet)!!!!

#44 6 years ago

This is super cool! Best of luck tweaking things. Sign me up!

#45 6 years ago

Wow! Looks incredible. I will absolutely take one when they are available. I would also imagine you could make this same idea work pretty well in Spider-Man.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

Wow! Looks incredible. I will absolutely take one when they are available. I would also imagine you could make this same idea work pretty well in Spider-Man.

Yeah I could see this working with multiple stern machines. I went to my local Nickelrama as they have about 20 or so machines and took pictures of the playfields to get an idea where the LCD would and which type/size you could us. There were many that would work.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

Please put it on route

#48 6 years ago

I want it just for the Gem shot. Put me on the list if these ever get produced!

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Please put it on route

Tron? It was on route for about 8 months, taking a quiet break at home now. I am sure it will pop back up in the wild before the end of the year

#50 6 years ago

Man, really awesome and amazing work! Wish the whole DMD could be replaced with an LCD screen incorporating your design visuals/graphics including the scoring and number of players. For now I'd say your going to sell a ton of these! Sign me up!

I miss my LE waiting patiently for Stern to launch a VE edition incorporating the new cabinet and LCD. Since the the launch of their new Cabs and technology, VE's, I can't think of a better game fit for the platform than Tron.

I may just need to find a pro or a replacement LE as your idea would suffice my wish!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-play-field-lcd-mod?hl=micky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.