20190721_135059 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190623_194956 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190623_194950 (resized).jpg
20190622_125625 (resized).jpg
20190622_125623 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190515_150150 (resized).jpg
tron_test_small LCD (resized).jpg
overlay_example 1 (resized).PNG

There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 4 years ago

Awesome, I am very impressed with what you have learned/accomplished.

#202 4 years ago

Great to see you back on this.

Have you upgraded to the pi4?

#203 4 years ago

Glad to see my PuP-Pack videos are working nicely for this!

I've had so many people ask me how to get Pinup Player Active video backglasses to work in a real cabinet, it's crazy! I'm a tech...but not en engineer / programmer! Nailbuster created Pinup Player... I'm more the ideas / tester / pup-pack maker guy.

For anyone who has never seen what a virtual pinball cabinet can look like...or what pup-packs are... these videos will give you a better idea, and may give more inspiration for projects like this on other real pins as well!

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from BigPhil:

Great to see you back on this.
Have you upgraded to the pi4?

I have a version working on it, however, I blew up the only Pi4 I had (2 gb version) by running a 1080p video on loop overnight. The Pi4 needs a fan if you push the gpu at all. I would say people should use a fan no matter what on the Pi4. I have two more 4gb versions that just shipped so I will do some more stress testing this week. I have not tested dual displays yet with my code, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. That will be a fun part for me to see the screens do two different things. I had this setup before with TLS and Stern, two Pi3 and two LCDs but it was overly complex and I was probably the only one that could get that working. The Pi4 should simplify that whole thing.

#205 4 years ago

Terry does fantastic work guys!

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

I have a version working on it, however, I blew up the only Pi4 I had (2 gb version) by running a 1080p video on loop overnight. The Pi4 needs a fan if you push the gpu at all. I would say people should use a fan no matter what on the Pi4. I have two more 4gb versions that just shipped so I will do some more stress testing this week. I have not tested dual displays yet with my code, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. That will be a fun part for me to see the screens do two different things. I had this setup before with TLS and Stern, two Pi3 and two LCDs but it was overly complex and I was probably the only one that could get that working. The Pi4 should simplify that whole thing.

When you talk about total light show are you just referring to the matrix interceptor to understand when modes are started/stopped?

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

When you talk about total light show are you just referring to the matrix interceptor to understand when modes are started/stopped?

Yes, using the serial interface off of his board. He outputs a JSON for me to read the current modes the machine is in. It was iteration 1 of this whole setup so the mode detection is simplistic but it works. I think his mode detection would work better for the secondary playfield LCD showing Active mode states (different from the main backbox LCD), animations, etc. I can't get some of the more advanced things from that board and have to pull it off of the stern CPU board.

#208 4 years ago

Playing with Scoring layout while I am travelling for work. I wish I could do something more fancy with the "text" part but I have to keep it as raw text fonts for speed.

Overlay Test 1 (resized).PNGOverlay Test 1 (resized).PNGOverlay with Scoring (resized).PNGOverlay with Scoring (resized).PNG
#209 4 years ago

Fonts look perfect to me! Amazing work!

Mounting this in the back box is sweet but could this be mounted above a game?

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Yes, using the serial interface off of his board. He outputs a JSON for me to read the current modes the machine is in. It was iteration 1 of this whole setup so the mode detection is simplistic but it works. I think his mode detection would work better for the secondary playfield LCD showing Active mode states (different from the main backbox LCD), animations, etc. I can't get some of the more advanced things from that board and have to pull it off of the stern CPU board.

Any plans for a new speaker panel that deletes the existing dmd

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Any plans for a new speaker panel that deletes the existing dmd

Big blocker to completely removing the speaker panel is the Service Menu and getting access to that. The idea would be that when you hit the Service menu in the coin door, it would trigger an event on the RasperryPi to switch from the Python code that is running to a DMD clone output similar to Dr Pinballs DMD Extender: http://drpinball.co.uk/dmdextender.htm. I have not looked into integration of his DMD extender code running on a Pi with my stuff. It looks like there is at least an extra board + 20 of the GPIO pins that would give this ability.

If My Pi setup could handle translating between the running python code, and then the DMD extender when the Service button was hit, and then also trigger back to the python code when you exit out of that menu, removing the existing DMD would be possible.

Steps to do that:

1. Coordinate with Dr Pinball on DMD emulation on the Pi and get that working on a 3+ or 4 verison of the Pi.
2. Have mode detection added by Pinball Browser for when the Service Menu is Called
3. Same Pinball Browser code for an event when the service menu exits (back to Attract)
4. Code Written to handle all that switching back and forth.

-fb

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Fonts look perfect to me! Amazing work!
Mounting this in the back box is sweet but could this be mounted above a game?

"YOU" can mount it where ever you want.

It's an HDMI monitor that can run at any resolution. I thought about a super wide that sits more like a topper, but didn't dive into that. Basically it would need video editing to change the ratio on the monitor to fit the extra wide resolution, everything else would just work...

Anyone want to create a business on topper LCD's that have mode integration?? You do the hardware kits and I will supply the code and videos...

1 week later
#213 4 years ago

Any updates?

5 months later
#214 4 years ago

Anything new happening?

1 week later
#215 4 years ago

Also a fan <3

1 year later
3 months later
#217 2 years ago

Bump - would love some news on this! Really want to add to my Tron.

#218 2 years ago
Quoted from tomaszb1:

Bump - would love some news on this! Really want to add to my Tron.

This project is definitely awesome but appears dead. Check this out:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-tron-interactive-backboard-display

3 months later
#219 2 years ago

This looks awesome. Will it be sold again?

end of line

3 months later
#220 2 years ago

Amazing stuff.
Did anybody has videos of a real pin with this stuff on?

1 month later
#221 1 year ago

So...to whom am I selling my soul to in order to buy one of these?! Holy WOW

1 year later
#222 23 days ago

Well let's bring this back from the dead. I got the bug again and want to continue working on the code, media, and scoring integration. Nothing like a 4+ year break . The last time I cracked this code I had 4 player detection, live scoring, and some of the fonts working. The overlay work was a lot for the Raspberry Pi 3 to handle but if I can get everything over to a pi 5 I think it would handle it easily.

I really want to see how much faster this would run on a pi5, especially the transitions between videos and management of stacking of the modes and video loops for each. The version I developed this for was the pi3. Some complications with the latest version of rasbian as they have deprecated the video player/playlist manager I used (OMX Player).

I know some of you will jump to the obvious question, will I build or sell this? I don't plan to as there was just too much work getting everything required for this mod, sourcing all the hardware, etc. I think I ended up upside down on every mod/version I sold. I have great respect for those modders that can build these and sell them to the community.

So plan is to update the source code (already on github), bill of materials, media (public domain versions I created, video project files, etc) Hopefully it will spark someone to continue the journey with me.

Someone had asked in the thread for a video of the mod in a machine being played so here ya go.

NHIM4511 (resized).JPGNHIM4511 (resized).JPG
#223 23 days ago

Well that is fantastic news! Its still running great for me on the pi3, although I don't think I have the most up to date source code and would like to update. Please let me know where I can get the latest code on github (link)? And is the Pro code just on github or is LE code there too?

I'm also happy to volunteer working with you on the LE again if you need me to.

Rob

Quoted from flynnsbit:

Well let's bring this back from the dead. I got the bug again and want to continue working on the code, media, and scoring integration. Nothing like a 4+ year break . The last time I cracked this code I had 4 player detection, live scoring, and some of the fonts working. The overlay work was a lot for the Raspberry Pi 3 to handle but if I can get everything over to a pi 5 I think it would handle it easily.
I really want to see how much faster this would run on a pi5, especially the transitions between videos and management of stacking of the modes and video loops for each. The version I developed this for was the pi3. Some complications with the latest version of rasbian as they have deprecated the video player/playlist manager I used (OMX Player).
I know some of you will jump to the obvious question, will I build or sell this? I don't plan to as there was just too much work getting everything required for this mod, sourcing all the hardware, etc. I think I ended up upside down on every mod/version I sold. I have great respect for those modders that can build these and sell them to the community.
So plan is to update the source code (already on github), bill of materials, media (public domain versions I created, video project files, etc) Hopefully it will spark someone to continue the journey with me.
Someone had asked in the thread for a video of the mod in a machine being played so here ya go.
[quoted image]

#224 23 days ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Well that is fantastic news! Its still running great for me on the pi3, although I don't think I have the most up to date source code and would like to update. Please let me know where I can get the latest code on github (link)? And is the Pro code just on github or is LE code there too?
I'm also happy to volunteer working with you on the LE again if you need me to.
Rob

https://github.com/flynnsbit/piTron I put the Pro and LE versions under releases. I need to organize them so I flagged them as debug until I go through the code and see where I left off so back up your .pyc so you can go back if it is funky. The repo also needs some cleanup but if I fall off the face of the earth again I want it to be out there.

For sure will need your help with LE code integration, as you know I don't have access to one. I'm excited to be feeling good enough to do this again.

#225 23 days ago

This is amazing news! Happy to help in any way I can testing the LE version.

#226 23 days ago

Great to see you back at it !

3 weeks later
#227 44 hours ago

I'm fascinated by how you pull off using what's happening in the game to trigger media. Live scoring? Are you tapping into the dmd somehow? Very cool.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
12,028 (OBO)
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-play-field-lcd-mod/page/5?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.