20190721_135059 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190623_194956 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190623_194950 (resized).jpg
20190622_125625 (resized).jpg
20190622_125623 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190515_150150 (resized).jpg
tron_test_small LCD (resized).jpg
overlay_example 1 (resized).PNG
There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 6 years ago

Lots of interest and questions on the Backbox LCD but no actual purchases of the 3 I have. I am going to try and disassemble my Tron back to stock and then record a video and take pictures of the full install. If you have installed the DIY LED backbox, Tron Arcade Mod, or any other power mod, you can install this.

If you are a capable modder, and are interested in being one of the first to have the 27 inch LCD in Tron, send me a private message and I will give you the link to purchase.

If I don't get them sold, I will use one for Star Trek and then just build these as people want them and open the order page to the public. Building the kits will have some lead (probably 2 weeks to source parts for each, then shipping) time since this is nights and weekend work for me.

Rough Steps for install:
1. Instructions, I have most of it documented and I am creating a word doc similar to this one that walks through the LCD install: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2331/6617/files/Tron_Installation_Document_v1.4.docx?1421047691252057755
It's really not hard in my opinion.
1. Remove the existing translite glass.
2. Remove the florescent tube and the two end power connectors for that (two phillips screws. ) (same as the backbox LED DIY Install)
2a. Attach the com port 9 pin adapter to the Stern CPU. This just screws in.
2b. Attach the power adapter for the LED strip to the accessory power adapter in the front of the cabinet by the coin door.
3. Screw in the 4" threaded rod and tighten a nut on it where the bolt clears the glass if it is installed, it is possible to install this where it sticks too far out and will hit/scratch your glass.
4. Put two more nuts on the threaded rod for the backbox wood to slide onto and verify the depth.
5. Put two wing nuts on the threaded rod securing the backbox panel.
6. Slide the speaker panel out and lay flat.
7. Find the two mounting screws that are built into the dmd holder and attach the 3d printed LCD mounts to it. Secure with 2 nuts.
8. Slide the Speaker panel back into place.
9. Slide the 27inch LCD display into the speaker panel brackets.
10. Fold down the top 3d printed mounts on the backbox securing the display.
11. Install the RaspberryPi into a location of your choice. Somewhere in the backbox is fine.
12. Plug in the usb adapter, HDMI display, and com adapter into the Pi.
13. Run the power adapter to the accessory power port at the front right of the coin door.
14. Plug in the 27 inch LCD display into the power accessory port in the front of the pinball machine close to the coin door.
15. Place the new printed Translite with the clear cutout for the LCD on the glass and slide into place. Make sure the LCD or the bolts for the backbox are far enough back to not tough the glass.
16. Power on the machine.

#152 6 years ago

So soooo want this but it's a big chunk of money. Typically, I have a Star Trek too! Is there a separate thread for Star Trek or have you not started that yet?

#153 6 years ago

I don't have a separate thread for Star Trek yet but I have started on the coding and video editing (it's my past time while I am riding on planes). I've verified that I can read all the states/modes for everything in Star Trek (thanks to pinball-browser code), I just have to actually find the time to play the dang thing (glass off) and map each mode, lit, active, and complete, and then figure out the stacking and which hurry ups are important to show.

You can save a bit of money by trying to source your own HDMI display and I can send you the dimensions of the one I am using if you want. That way we aren't shipping a 20 lb box all over the world... Up to you.

#154 6 years ago

I’m def interested as I’ve recently bought the tron total light show but! 1 thing at a time for me I guess. I’ll want to get that installed and see how I feel about the “completeness” of my tron pinball. The backbox mod is prolly the craziest pinball mod i’ve ever seen so im mulling over how crazy I want to get. Im also not handy at all lol. Your 16 step process looks pretty straightforward though. My buddy might be interested in a star trek version.

In any case, a detailed YT video would go a long way for me into a purchase decision.

Also, do you have any existing videos of a full game played with the backbox? Would love to see a 2 camera shot of the playfield and the backbox to really see how dope this integreation is. Extra credit if the tron total light show is installed too

Whatever happens, this mod, from what Ive seen, is something special.

#155 6 years ago

So I'm wanting the total light mod and the lcd recognizer you have... Will these work together with no power draw issues?

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Lots of interest and questions on the Backbox LCD but no actual purchases of the 3 I have. I am going to try and disassemble my Tron back to stock and then record a video and take pictures of the full install.

That should change once you show this at TPF.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

So I'm wanting the total light mod and the lcd recognizer you have... Will these work together with no power draw issues?

Yup, works with native stern CPU or the TLS, no power issues in my machine and I probably have more mods running on the 12v and 5v rails than anyone else.
Total Light Show Kit
Eli Ramps
Arcade Mod
Flynns sign
Lit cycles
2 Ardunio's with two 5v servos
4 Raspberry Pi's
1 27 inch LCD
1 5 inch LCD
2 4.3 inch LCD's
LED OCD
Lit Laserriffic Topper
LED strip for Translite
TRON LED insert lights
Backpanel UV light flasher kit
And a partridge in a pear tree...

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Yup, works with native stern CPU or the TLS, no power issues in my machine and I probably have more mods running on the 12v and 5v rails than anyone else.
Total Light Show Kit
Eli Ramps
Arcade Mod
Flynns sign
Lit cycles
2 Ardunio's with two 5v servos
4 Raspberry Pi's
1 27 inch LCD
1 5 inch LCD
2 4.3 inch LCD's
LED OCD
Lit Laserriffic Topper
LED strip for Translite
TRON LED insert lights
Backpanel UV light flasher kit
And a partridge in a pear tree...

Ha.. yep that's a bit! I only have ordered total light show recently and i have arcade mod and pinstadium lights... but the more I look the more the backbox is appealing...

#159 6 years ago

I loved the 27" LCD, but then I have to get rid of my signed 3D translite. That's a tough call. However, the 5" display seems like a no brainer. Is that ready to go? Where is the best location for it on an LE?

#160 6 years ago

I am pretty happy with the code, I don't have the Daft Punk Multi-Ball mode programmed yet but it is on my list. I can make the 5" LCD kit on demand.

As far as the location. The best place is where the Recognizer is. That might be an issue for LE owners, but you COULD mount the LCD to the moving arm and show the Recognizer animation anytime it is moving.
Basically kick off this animation if moving:

I don't have an LE so I can't test that, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. You could also put the LCD in the Instruction card. I am printing out the Metal Apron LCD prototype tonight so should have something to show off this weekend.

#161 6 years ago

I have a recognizer with downlighting. It's not as cool as the LCD, but I do like it, and it seem closer to the original intent. The 5" screen is probably too large for the left ramp, but that is other not occupied. There was a mod a while back for a mini display that was simply looping some footage. Not sure the same location could be reused. Thoughts?

mqdefault (resized).jpgmqdefault (resized).jpg

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

I have a recognizer with downlighting. It's not as cool as the LCD, but I do like it, and it seem closer to the original intent. The 5" screen is probably too large for the left ramp, but that is other not occupied. There was a mod a while back for a mini display that was simply looping some footage. Not sure the same location could be reused. Thoughts?

None of the screens I have will work for that spot. You have basically ruled out the Recognizer (on an LE I get it), and your backbox. You could do an apron LCD. I am done with the metal apron LCD and will take pictures of what that looks like. I agree with most people that having an apron LCD running the videos and program code isn't really that great because you are never looking down there. I personally like having Instruction cards that cycle there. *Shrug.

8 months later
#163 5 years ago

This is awesome! Any progress updates?

6 months later
#164 4 years ago

My life has calmed back down so I got the bug to revisit these mods. I've completely cleaned up my workshop and arcade so I now have a good place to work and code. I've gotten the modding bug again so this thread should update more frequently. I don't have a timeline on the new updates but here are the features I am working on. This is a labor of love and I probably have more than 1000 hours into this so I needed a break before. ADHD can be good and bad for projects like this. I am also not a Python developer so I am learning as I go and the overlay + CPU + framebuffers really was a big problem to solve. If people like more frequent updates I can try and post more frequently with progress on the list below.

1. Add overlay capabilities over the video clips for the modes. I can handle about 9 layers in the code using the current PC (RPi). I am not a developer by heart so this has taken me a while to get working. I am pretty happy with it now.
2. Collect Ball info and Player info and display as an overlay.
3. Collect current player score and show on an overlay.
4. Build out different base overlay options but my favorite one I am settling on is the Tron logo with the Blue and Orange Tron Discs around the outer edge.
5. Overlay for current active modes (Images for Clu, Zuse, Quora, Light Cycle, etc)
6. Build a separate display for the 5 inch screen that shows the current active modes and maybe states from modes that can't have a video (TRON, Flynn Found, Spinner Values) and a fall back default of the Recognizer video (This is similar to Star Wars mini LCD)
7. With the overlays now on top of the video layer, I now have to re-edit all the videos to fit in the overlay and change the Text overlays on those. If I can get the overlays that are embedded in the video files out to the main code, then people could easily replace video clips with whatever they want on the USB stick.

That's probably a pretty good list.

Examples for the people who like visuals. As always, I am open to suggestions.

Some quick videos and images attached:

IMG_20190515_150150 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_150150 (resized).jpgIMG_20190609_180909 (resized).jpgIMG_20190609_180909 (resized).jpgoverlay_example 1 (resized).PNGoverlay_example 1 (resized).PNGtron_overlay_transparent_188_Flat_Top_Bar_no_sides_notopbar (resized).pngtron_overlay_transparent_188_Flat_Top_Bar_no_sides_notopbar (resized).pngtron_test_small LCD (resized).jpgtron_test_small LCD (resized).jpg
#165 4 years ago

YES!!! My favorite mod ever. So glad you're back on this.

#166 4 years ago

WANT!!!

#167 4 years ago

YES!!!!! He’s back!!!!!

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

YES!!!!! He’s back!!!!!

I can't wait until retirement where I can do this pinball thing full time. Just 14 more years

I am having fun again! I'll try to make some things more plug and play and also post a full parts list with sources so people can source their own materials if I disappear again.

#169 4 years ago

So can you buy this thing and if so how much? I might have to buy Tron for the 5th time bc this is SICK

#170 4 years ago

I don’t have a Tron and I want one !!!!

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So can you buy this thing and if so how much? I might have to buy Tron for the 5th time bc this is SICK

It was $700 but after it was all said and done I think I was taking a hit on each one sold. There are about 10 people lurking that have the larger LCD but I don't think they want to be known. There are a lot more of the 5" Playfield LCDs out there before I got burned out.

and now for the BUT.... I can't get the displays like I used to so it's a moot point. I went through too many brands of 27 inch LCDs before I found the perfect one that fits in between the speakers. Anyone want a 1080p LCD that doesn't fit in a Stern cabinet, I'm your guy!

I could do a frameless display like JJP does but I would rather work on the code and graphics for now. Maybe someone else can take over the hardware side of this for the community. This is not a money making endeavor for me and more for the "wow, I didn't know that was possible" factor.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

It was $700 but after it was all said and done I think I was taking a hit on each one sold. There are about 10 people lurking that have the larger LCD but I don't think they want to be known. There are a lot more of the 5" Playfield LCDs out there before I got burned out.
and now for the BUT.... I can't get the displays like I used to so it's a moot point. I went through too many brands of 27 inch LCDs before I found the perfect one that fits in between the speakers. Anyone want a 1080p LCD that doesn't fit in a Stern cabinet, I'm your guy!
I could do a frameless display like JJP does but I would rather work on the code and graphics for now. Maybe someone else can take over the hardware side of this for the community. This is not a money making endeavor for me and more for the "wow, I didn't know that was possible" factor.

You can't get the correct displays because they stopped production?

#173 4 years ago

I wish Stern would just hire you now to do a Vault with your modifications.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

You can't get the correct displays because they stopped production?

Correct, Acer doesn't make that model any longer. Edit: Though I am sure there is another one out there. I just need to bring a messuring tape with me to Fry's, Best Buy, Microcenter and find it. Again, worst case I have a 27inch with a board that I imported from China that would work, but it would need a mounting system that would require further modification to the Tron cabinet and I was trying to make it where the mod could be removed without a trace. If you open any JJP machine you will see how you could do it.

Code, overlays, new videos, scoring, all that first.

#175 4 years ago

I love it! Ready to buy when available.

#176 4 years ago

I assume this process is possible for other titles like Game of Thrones or Transformers?

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I assume this process is possible for other titles like Game of Thrones or Transformers?

Transformers yes, Game of Thrones depends on if that Spike system has a Com port that a PC can communicate with and that allows for the com patch from PinballBrowser or something like a TotalLightShow that has the same thing. That would take a person or a team of people working on it full time to get to that level and you have to know the game inside and out and map the modes for each. That took me a better part of 4-6 months for Tron Pro and Tron LE. So, yes, it is possible but would require a time investment by someone besides me.

#178 4 years ago

I'm IN!!!

#179 4 years ago

I still would love a plug and play version. Just the hardware and software to do this, Excluding the monitor, but including the translite and if possiblethe decal to go around the monitor. I could buy the monitor myself and get it mounted. Also do the backlight myself for the alternive translite.

#180 4 years ago

OMG this thread is alive!

Could there be newer 27" pc monitors that would work for this? Some of the frameless ones would surely me smaller.

Quoted from flynnsbit:

but it would need a mounting system that would require further modification to the Tron cabinet and I was trying to make it where the mod could be removed without a trace. If you open any JJP machine you will see how you could do it.

A small enough extending monitor(s) arm perhaps?

#181 4 years ago

Yikes! Didn't realize this even existed...and I acquired a TRON last Fall.

Great work, dude!

1 week later
#182 4 years ago

Okay, I finished the code for Scoring, Underlay/Overlay control, Ball Count, Player Count, and Current Player last night. I grabbed a quick video showing that code without the video underlay going. Sorry for the pinball skills and video quality. It's hard to capture with a cell phone on Tron. I can also speed up the data grab more so that it refreshes even quicker if I remove all my debug code.

Next will be adding this back into the main video code and re-doing all of the videos.

20190622_125623 (resized).jpg20190622_125623 (resized).jpg20190622_125625 (resized).jpg20190622_125625 (resized).jpg
#183 4 years ago

So help me understand how would someone actually get this from you? Like what's the end game here bc knowing me I'll own another Tron and I would definitely want this.

Are you just going to sell the software bc of the screen comment you made earlier?

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So help me understand how would someone actually get this from you? Like what's the end game here bc knowing me I'll own another Tron and I would definitely want this.
Are you just going to sell the software bc of the screen comment you made earlier?

I haven't really thought that far ahead. I'll probably build some more kits and re-do the entire backbox mounting system so that an open-frame 27 inch LCD can mount on it. This would allow for a single backbox board with the PC, serial connection, LCD, and LED strip for the top Marquee to be an "all in one" mount. with three connectors to run. Power for the LCD to the AUX, Power for the Marquee Strip and Pi, and the Serial interface to the Stern board. This would make it a bit more plug and play.

You would still need to source the printing of the backbox marquee as I can't sell those. I can share the 300dpi image with anyone as fair use since it is modified and could be used as a PC Desktop background. I have to be extremely careful with this title due to it's strong IP backing if you know what I mean.

This mod is NOT for people who are new to modding. It's also probably the most expensive mod out there so I know that scares people away.

With all those warnings, you'll see here when I get closer to another "kit".

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

I haven't really thought that far ahead. I'll probably build some more kits and re-do the entire backbox mounting system so that an open-frame 27 inch LCD can mount on it. This would allow for a single backbox board with the PC, serial connection, LCD, and LED strip for the top Marquee to be an "all in one" mount. with three connectors to run. Power for the LCD to the AUX, Power for the Marquee Strip and Pi, and the Serial interface to the Stern board. This would make it a bit more plug and play.
You would still need to source the printing of the backbox marquee as I can't sell those. I can share the 300dpi image with anyone as fair use since it is modified and could be used as a PC Desktop background. I have to be extremely careful with this title due to it's strong IP backing if you know what I mean.
This mod is NOT for people who are new to modding. It's also probably the most expensive mod out there so I know that scares people away.
With all those warnings, you'll see here when I get closer to another "kit".

edit: PS, the "game" here is that I enjoy modding. This is fun for me.

#186 4 years ago

PS, the "game" here is that I enjoy modding. This is fun for me.

#187 4 years ago

Well it looks great and I can't wait to add this when/if I get another.

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Well it looks great and I can't wait to add this when/if I get another.

Can’t wait to add this to the Tron I bought from ya last year.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Can’t wait to add this to the Tron I bought from ya last year.

Adding this would make it the best pro ever. Haha

That was such a nice one. Think about it sometimes haha

#190 4 years ago

Want! This is amazing. Great work. LMK once you develope kits again for the back box LCD!

#191 4 years ago

I am working through a bug that is causing a conflict between the overlay and the video and have most of it worked out. I took a break from that to look at an open frame LCD design for the backbox that would allow for a new kit. The Chinese display I got from Alibaba is really nice but shipping cost is pretty painful from China. I am also concerned that there could be added import costs from there in the future.

I am still hoping to source a 27 inch open-frame LCD from the US where that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (e.g., JJP: http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/The-Hobbit-Parts/LCD-Panel-Open-Frame-27-inch.html $558 :O )

IMG_20190623_194950 (resized).jpgIMG_20190623_194950 (resized).jpgIMG_20190623_194956 (resized).jpgIMG_20190623_194956 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#192 4 years ago

Finally got some time today to work on Tron. Mounted the openframe 27" LCD and built a prototype hardware kit to mount it. It is a drop in replacement for the Acer I was using, though it sits a little higher so the Top translight will have to be modified and re-printed. The sides of the translite work better with this new display. They display seems to be nicer than the one I was using previously.

Reaper802 suggested that I look at the PupPack for Tron on the Vpin side. That pack is setup almost exactly like the video structure I was using so it's basically a copy and paste. I have a new code version that references his videos as long as you extract it to the USB stick with his folder structure.

Now that I have scoring, ball count, and player count working I will need to integrate that into the center section at the bottom of the overlay.

Video and pictures as always.

20190721_135417 (resized).jpg20190721_135417 (resized).jpg20190721_135202 (resized).jpg20190721_135202 (resized).jpg20190721_135020 (resized).jpg20190721_135020 (resized).jpg20190721_135059 (resized).jpg20190721_135059 (resized).jpg20190721_135129 (resized).jpg20190721_135129 (resized).jpg20190721_135145 (resized).jpg20190721_135145 (resized).jpg
#193 4 years ago

flynnsbit Absolutely brilliant work. Cannot wait to see it complete and hopefully have one in my game.

#194 4 years ago

That’s very impressive work!

#195 4 years ago

So happy to see Terry was willing to share his amazing PuP Pack work. This is going to be Epic!

#196 4 years ago

I don't normally add a bunch of mods but really hope this is available to purchase someday.

#197 4 years ago

Whoa this is crazy! Very impressive work.

#198 4 years ago

Love to have this mod as well. Very impressive!

#199 4 years ago

Will those that bought the original hardware get an email with updated software?

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

Will those that bought the original hardware get an email with updated software?

Yeah, I'll send something out. If someone that already has the LCD wants to be a Guinea pig (meaning you will be testing code, new updates, and lots of things will break), feel free to DM me.

I have a work trip starting tomorrow for a week so I wont be working anything until next week. Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-play-field-lcd-mod/page/4?hl=maur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.