20190721_135059 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190623_194956 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190623_194950 (resized).jpg
20190622_125625 (resized).jpg
20190622_125623 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190515_150150 (resized).jpg
tron_test_small LCD (resized).jpg
overlay_example 1 (resized).PNG
There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 6 years ago

I need one of those back boxes. Checking these forums always costs me money. And I love it.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Where do I sign up for local playesting?

FYI that is your old machine
I want to check it out too...please

#103 6 years ago

Started working on the 3d design for the 4.3 LCD bezel tonight so that it fits snugly in the apron. Here is v4ish. Still working out the texture and paint, glossy is too glossy, satin is too flat.

3d_bezel (resized).PNG3d_bezel (resized).PNG
tron_bezel (resized).PNGtron_bezel (resized).PNG

#104 6 years ago

1. Finished all the 27 inch mounting hardware today, 3d prints for brackets, and how to handle the light bleed as much as possible. I have enough parts for 3 of these kits and then I am tapped out for a while since my number for my TNA is coming up. I'll let everyone know when I get closer to having those 3 kits ready.

2.Finished a new version tonight for the SAM version. You will need the very latest pinball-browser and comms patch (132) for this to work.

Installation documentation updated and I sent instructions to everyone who has one on how to update. (for those of you that are using the SAM and not the TLS version) Just DM me if you didn't get it.

v1.4. Changes to SAM version:
* Added new DiscMB Restart mode so that detection of the mode state is possible if you don't hit the DISCMB Restart shot.
* Added DiscMB Restart Video
* DiscMB Return detection
* Added Return to Grid Detection
* Zen mode added
* Find Flynn and Flynn found mode detection added
* Fixed Most Active modes to clear the video list and default to The Grid video when complete
* Added structure for re-setting states on Active Multiball mode completion
* Added wait times in between mode completions to allow for video updates
* Fixed Game over video
* Added placeholder videos for SOS and Portal
* Added Portal mode detection
* updated firmware version detection to 1.32
* better comms version detection code
* Turned off TRON mode for now, TRON was too busy and interrupting modes
* added debug output and log files to usb
* Prelim Ball drain detection (only in code/debug)
* Prelim Active Score per Player (only in code/debug)

#105 6 years ago

Install Pictures for the 27 inch 1080p LCD.

Liiiiiiiike a glove....

20180105_230633 (resized).jpg20180105_230633 (resized).jpg

20180105_231138 (resized).jpg20180105_231138 (resized).jpg

20180105_230644 (resized).jpg20180105_230644 (resized).jpg

20180105_231143 (resized).jpg20180105_231143 (resized).jpg

20180105_231334 (resized).jpg20180105_231334 (resized).jpg

20180105_231526 (resized).jpg20180105_231526 (resized).jpg

20180105_232339 (resized).jpg20180105_232339 (resized).jpg

20180105_231253 (resized).jpg20180105_231253 (resized).jpg

#106 6 years ago

And here is the two orange and blue discs that are going down each side of the monitor. Most people probably didn't even see them. Playing with implementing them into the mode. Still need a good clean light bleed solution.

20180105_225002 (resized).jpg20180105_225002 (resized).jpg

20180105_225007 (resized).jpg20180105_225007 (resized).jpg

20180105_224551 (resized).jpg20180105_224551 (resized).jpg

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Something like this? I agree with you after installing this. So easy to see and understand all the shots. Very cool looking also.

Yes.. that is great! That makes since to have on I'd say a decent list of machines

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotronx:

FYI that is your old machine
I want to check it out too...please

Figures. I think my two Trons have been in the house of every collector in Dallas at this point. Stupid sluts.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Figures. I think my two Trons have been in the house of every collector in Dallas at this point. Stupid sluts.

Note to self, add an easter egg to the 27 inch LCD for when FRX is entered in as a high score it changes it to "STUPIDSLUT"

Every machine at Nicklerama would say that then though...

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Note to self, add an easter egg to the 27 inch LCD for when FRX is entered in as a high score it changes it to "STUPIDSLUT"
Every machine at Nicklerama would say that then though...

If you can do this...

I totally approve, and then I'll come test it out. LMFAO.

#111 6 years ago

After creating a parts list for the 27 inch monitor and making sure I had everything included in the kit, I went back through the install and everything is great. The small translite needs to be wider on both sides by about 5mm, and it needs a 5mm black boarder at the top so that the LCD doesn't cause a shadow on the translite art. Now I see why JJP created the boarders in the Translite/backglass for their LCD's.

The new code seems MUCH better at handling modes and clearing out back to a default video when no modes are running.
One small issue, or big issue for those select few. If you want the 27 inch backbox LCD, and you already have a ColorDMD LCD DMD installed, this isn't going to work due to that LCD sticking up above the speaker panel. You will either need your original DMD (Blue or whatever) or a ColorDMD LED DMD.

I'll hit people up that DM'ed me about the 27 inch kits this week. I should have 3 of them to start. Remember, you will need to source a Translite. DM me for details.

1 week later
#112 6 years ago

When are you going to do a 27” led?

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from moonwk:

When are you going to do a 27” led?

Do.....what?

You do realize that a 27" *LED* tv is STILL a LCD tv, right? ~_~;;

#114 6 years ago

Devil is in the details, trying to make sure everything is super stable. I have the hardware done and just need to figure out how shipping is going to work. I'll try to get that done between today and tomorrow since I am off work tomorrow.

1. I had some weird edge cases where Stern doesn't actually report back anything when certain modes are lit or complete, so you can end up in an endless loop. That is all fixed now and there is so much more debug code to handle those situations.

2. I had to get 4 players working so that mode videos didn't carry over into other peoples games, and handle the dance between active players and what should be shown on the LCD. That is also done.

3. I still need to test what this code is going to do on an LE.

1 week later
#115 6 years ago

CODE:
1-4 player game code is working really well. It's neat to see the base video mode that the player is running follow the player through their balls. That was more work than I thought.

BACKBOX LCD:
Okay now that the Tron code feels complete I'm finishing the kits for the backbox and just tweaking some things I didn't like. I changed the threaded rods from 3" to 4" to give some extra room to get the LCD closer to the glass to remove the light bleed. I am happy with it. The Artwork when printed will need a black border to hide any shadows from the weather striping around the side. I created this border which should take care of the shadows.

APRON:
Also, worked more on the texture for the 3d printed plastic bezel that goes around the Around the Apron LCD. That molded texture on the apron is REALLY hard to duplicate. This is as close as I am going to get and I feel like absolutely no one except me would be this picky. The good news is this is really easy to do, print, rattle can spray paint, and dry.

Happy Sunday.

Tron_27_inch_LCD_border (resized).pngTron_27_inch_LCD_border (resized).png
6173667163419303018 (resized).jpg6173667163419303018 (resized).jpg

#116 6 years ago

great to see the new updates! i just bought the total light show for my tron and am stoked to see there's integration with this! i'm def interested in the backbox...was there any news on when these will become available again for purchase?

#117 6 years ago

I will have two backbox kits ready this week, PM me and I will add you to my list.
For those that like pictures, I spent my day messing with the Apron Mod. The 3d printed bezel snaps right into the instruction card slot and covers the angles. You do have to make a 1 inch hole for the ribbon cable in the bottom so it does require a small mod, but it just needs to be less than 1mm so even a hot x-acto knife would do it. I am printing a new one with notches cut out of the top for the Tron art that I didn't think through. Anyway, picture time.

20180121_150311 (resized).jpg20180121_150311 (resized).jpg20180121_164607 (resized).jpg20180121_164607 (resized).jpg20180121_164632 (resized).jpg20180121_164632 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180121-154816 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180121-154816 (resized).jpg20180121_181357 (resized).jpg20180121_181357 (resized).jpg

Added over 6 years ago: 1mm = 1inch. I screwed up. a 1mm hole is stupid.

#118 6 years ago

OMG. That is amazing looking!

#119 6 years ago

Doesn't the LE have the apron with the blue flashers below? Would this mod work on an LE?

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

Doesn't the LE have the apron with the blue flashers below? Would this mod work on an LE?

It does, and it is metal. I am working on a version that sits above the metal one but that is going to take a bit longer because I had to order a metal apron to test on. Trying to finish the backboxes this week and then I will do the metal apron.

Everyone with LE's makes me crazy jealous.

#121 6 years ago

This thread is blowing my mind. Need more videos of the current product and cost?

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

CODE:
1-4 player game code is working really well. It's neat to see the base video mode that the player is running follow the player through their balls. That was more work than I thought.
BACKBOX LCD:
Okay now that the Tron code feels complete I'm finishing the kits for the backbox and just tweaking some things I didn't like. I changed the threaded rods from 3" to 4" to give some extra room to get the LCD closer to the glass to remove the light bleed. I am happy with it. The Artwork when printed will need a black border to hide any shadows from the weather striping around the side. I created this border which should take care of the shadows.
APRON:
Also, worked more on the texture for the 3d printed plastic bezel that goes around the Around the Apron LCD. That molded texture on the apron is REALLY hard to duplicate. This is as close as I am going to get and I feel like absolutely no one except me would be this picky. The good news is this is really easy to do, print, rattle can spray paint, and dry.
Happy Sunday.

Any idea of cost for this mod yet?

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

Any idea of cost for this mod yet?

For the Apron? Probably be two versions:

You can obviously make these yourself and order the parts from Adafruit. I am just selling them to fund R&D into other pinball projects so I can keep doing this. If you have a 3d printer, a DIY pinball attitude, feel free to hit me up and I will share.

For those that want this done and plug and play:
Base version: I am hovering around $190 right now. LCD and a Pi with no integration, but you can put any video or set of images on the sdcard and it will cycle through them. These take me about an hour to make each one. If the displays panels I ordered from China work then that will lower the cost down by $20.

Deluxe: I can also do the deluxe version with the Tron Integration, but I haven't tested all of that yet as there is a resolution difference between the 4.3 and 5 inch displays. That could force me to re-edit all the videos into that resolution... That price is basically the base kit + this LCD only so you remove the cost of the extra pi PC, power, sdcard, etc.

Long short of it, I am getting there and trying not to gouge the pinball community. Availability will be after the backbox people start rolling. I've got to get that done first.

#124 6 years ago

I was referring to back box cost...

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Quoted from flynnsbit:

I am thinking $699+Shipping for the big version with all the brackets, LED Strip for Top translite, mount, power adapter. You could technically get the smaller one and just go source your own big LCD. You will also need to source the translite as I can't sell that (based on a notification I received).

#126 6 years ago

sorry! thanks!

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

OH, THAT! $699 and I am not sure I am really making anything if you factor in hours of work. Look at it this way, JJP's 27 inch LCD is $569.99 and that doesn't come with a computer, backbox mounts, power, mode integration. I think $569 for an LCD is ridiculous, but these things add up.

#128 6 years ago

flynnsbit its really impressive all that you have accomplished in just 4 months.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

For the Apron? Probably be two versions:
You can obviously make these yourself and order the parts from Adafruit. I am just selling them to fund R&D into other pinball projects so I can keep doing this. If you have a 3d printer, a DIY pinball attitude, feel free to hit me up and I will share.
For those that want this done and plug and play:
Base version: I am hovering around $190 right now. LCD and a Pi with no integration, but you can put any video or set of images on the sdcard and it will cycle through them. These take me about an hour to make each one. If the displays panels I ordered from China work then that will lower the cost down by $20.
Deluxe: I can also do the deluxe version with the Tron Integration, but I haven't tested all of that yet as there is a resolution difference between the 4.3 and 5 inch displays. That could force me to re-edit all the videos into that resolution... That price is basically the base kit + this LCD only so you remove the cost of the extra pi PC, power, sdcard, etc.
Long short of it, I am getting there and trying not to gouge the pinball community. Availability will be after the backbox people start rolling. I've got to get that done first.

Yes the apron.. thx
Very interesting thread and mod you have going!

#130 6 years ago

I have the small LCD where the recognizer goes and all I can say is WOW!!! I bought this early and have been beta testing with Flynnsbit getting software going and if anyone out there has a Tron this is a must have!!! Makes the game so much more interactive!!!! I love this!!!

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

flynnsbit its really impressive all that you have accomplished in just 4 months.

Thanks, its been a lot of work but rewarding to do something interesting and different.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from Profgrif:

I have the small LCD where the recognizer goes and all I can say is WOW!!! I bought this early and have been beta testing with Flynnsbit getting software going and if anyone out there has a Tron this is a must have!!! Makes the game so much more interactive!!!! I love this!!!

So how do you feel about the apron screen? I mean it should run the same program as the recognizer lcd correct? I'm kinda torn between those 2 spots sand how they will interact while playing...

#133 6 years ago

Finished 3 Backbox kits and assembly today. I went ahead and built enough to do 5 kits but I still will need 2 more LCD's to complete those kits. Sending PM's to those at the top of the list. If are really interested in spending the money on this and can handle ordering a translite from somewhere, send me a PM so I can get an idea on how many of these I need to build. I am moving on to a Star Trek Backbox display after this one.

20180128_162051 (resized).jpg20180128_162051 (resized).jpg
20180128_162241 (resized).jpg20180128_162241 (resized).jpg

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

So how do you feel about the apron screen? I mean it should run the same program as the recognizer lcd correct? I'm kinda torn between those 2 spots sand how they will interact while playing...

Just answering this question: Correct, the program should be exactly the same between the different LCD options. When I have time, I am going to do a demo of the three of them. My only concern is the difference in video resolution for the 4.3, but it might downscale just fine on it. I wont know until I get it all wired up. I personally still like the playfield version because of the 3 base video modes that all have to do with the Recognizer/Disc combo. Base Mode = Enter the grid, Bank has been hit but not down = Shoot the Recognizer, Bank Down and Disc Spinning = SHOOT THE DISC.

#135 6 years ago

Finished implementing the Apron LCD mod. It's one of the cleaner implementations because everything is under the apron and it just needs two cables, one goes to the com port on the stern cpu and the other connects to the accessory 5v molex port by the coin door. I also got the lcd ribbon cable to run through one of the cut outs on the apron so you don't have to mod or make a hole in the apron at all.

Pictures and video.

20180128_221925 (resized).jpg20180128_221925 (resized).jpg

And for fun, scanned in versions of the Stern cards being displayed on the LCD. You could cycle through different ones, show ads for your place, etc while in attract mode. Maybe I'll create a Nickelrama and Pinstacks version and take it up there.

20180128_235355 (resized).jpg20180128_235355 (resized).jpg
20180128_235400 (resized).jpg20180128_235400 (resized).jpg

#136 6 years ago

Do you have any plans to do other titles?

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

Do you have any plans to do other titles?

Stern Star Trek is next and it is sitting right next to this Tron. I have the mode integration tested, I just need to learn the actual rules of the game so I can map out all the gotcha like mode stacking.

After that it will probably be Ghostbusters since it is a spike with a DMD and there isn't a ColorDMD out for it yet.

Then one of the Music games, maybe the new Lucy ACDC with a full backbox. Of course that one wouldn't work unless you could get an animator to cut up some videos for each mode.

Metallica would be easy because you could just show concerts or music videos for modes.

#138 6 years ago

Ok I’ll be following and keeping an eye out for GB AC/DC or Metallica
Thanks

#139 6 years ago

It is a cool project and really like the integration, but I wonder how many times you look at that. A friend has a similar lcd on a Hobbit that was linked to the LCD on the playfield. I never look at it. But in attract mode it can be really cool.

#140 6 years ago

The progress you're making on this project is amazing!

#141 6 years ago

I agree on the apron lcd. It is more for rotating instruction cards and maybe something interesting for attract. Without mode integration, it is a lot cheaper and can work with any Stern Pro machine out of the box.

20180129_005155 (resized).jpg20180129_005155 (resized).jpg

#142 6 years ago

I like the look of it on the apron and hope you make one for the LE.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

I agree on the apron lcd. It is more for rotating instruction cards and maybe something interesting for attract. Without mode integration, it is a lot cheaper and can work with any Stern Pro machine out of the box.

I'm gonna send this to a friend of mine...she's a game tech at Pinstack.

#144 6 years ago

Please bring this beauty to TPF! I would love to play this machine. : Great work, looks awesome!

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

Please bring this beauty to TPF! I would love to play this machine. : Great work, looks awesome!

I signed up to bring it, this will be my first TPF so it should be interesting all around. Maybe I can just put my machine in one of the vendor booths.

All that's left is to re-integrate the motorized wheelie light cycles and this thing should be done, and COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS with the amount of LCDs. That is fun for the show but I will probably take a few off for my personal collection. My LCD addiction is getting out of hand..

NINJA EDIT: -- added pic.

20180129_103232 (resized).jpg20180129_103232 (resized).jpg

#146 6 years ago

Question for you: as someone who has a TRON on their wishlist and not presently in their possession, are you planning on doing this as a one time run or on-demand/purchase?

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

I signed up to bring it, this will be my first TPF so it should be interesting all around. Maybe I can just put my machine in one of the vendor booths.
All that's left is to re-integrate the motorized wheelie light cycles and this thing should be done, and COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS with the amount of LCDs. That is fun for the show but I will probably take a few off for my personal collection. My LCD addiction is getting out of hand..

Awesome! You picked a great year to go. The show is a blast. E-mail the show organizers with your request and they may be able to help you. The contact e mail is: [email protected]

I like what you have done with it.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Question for you: as someone who has a TRON on their wishlist and not presently in their possession, are you planning on doing this as a one time run or on-demand/purchase?

I should be able to do this on demand. Let me describe "this".

Playfield LCD: Easy, parts readily available. Can be on-demand

Apron LCD: Easy, most work is 3d printing for these which I can do now that it is designed very quickly. Can be on-demand

Backbox LCD: More complex, there is a VERY specific type of 27 inch HD LCD that works with the 3d printed mounts and slides perfectly in between the mounts on the speaker panel. I've spent too much money on different sizes, and not all 27 inch displays are the same. These displays allow for the maximum horizontal width, while having the absolute smallest height so that you actually have enough room for a decently sized Translate. The other LCD's I've tested are an inch taller (cutting into the translite location) and an inch shorter on the width (leaving more gaps on both sides of the LCD). The translite I have is 26 inches wide and 5.76 inches tall with this specific LCD. Point being, I am grabbing the supply of these as I can, but eventually those will run dry and I will have to find another display with the same characteristics or no one wants them and then I will move on.

#149 6 years ago

I am only interested in the backbox LCD mod, would love to get that in the future.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I am only interested in the backbox LCD mod, would love to get that in the future.

Same here!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-play-field-lcd-mod/page/3?hl=flynnsbit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.