Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Why is Tron LE almost double the price of Tron Pro? I'm interested in the Freakonomics of this.

#2 5 years ago

supply and demand.

#3 5 years ago

I don't think comparing the two machines feature for feature will ever give a reasonable looking answer. The only thing is that it is almost impossible to dislodge the LEs from their owners' hands. I was looking for one and found one tentative seller. All the buyers in the world were lined up at $X, then there were three guys trying to buy it at $1.1X, two guys at $1.2X, so I simply had to pay $1.3X or forget about it. Very hard to find an LE owner that needs to sell, and I have heard about one guy answer a buying query with simply, "Why, whyyy, would I sell it to you?". So, I think they are very rarely bought these days rather than shaken out, or dislodged.

#4 5 years ago

Just seems weird to me. The EL lighting is cool, but that seems easy to retrofit to the Pro. Moving recognizer...$1k mod at best. Add the fact that the later Pros have the better cabinet art, and it just doesn't add up to $5k worth of differences.

I'm not knocking people willing to pay 10k, just trying to understand why they're not satisfied with modding out a Pro.

#5 5 years ago

Just all the little extras that came on the LE makes it worth the extra $. My kids will get it before I sell it.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Just seems weird to me. The EL lighting is cool, but that seems easy to retrofit to the Pro. Moving recognizer...$1k mod at best. Add the fact that the later Pros have the better cabinet art, and it just doesn't add up to $5k worth of differences.
I'm not knocking people willing to pay 10k, just trying to understand why they're not satisfied with modding out a Pro.

Personal choice. Yeah, supply and demand is a big part. But you are right, there are just a handful of features that make up the difference, but the sum of those, for some, add up to more than the individuals. Real drop targets, lit ramps, daft punk multiball, etc...nice things! Worth $5k? You choose.

Tron is one of the most heavily mod-able games out there. Most people are more than happy with the pros and mods to taste. But some people love the LEs. Modes and features maybe. Being a member of an exclusive club? Maybe that too!

#7 5 years ago

If I think about it rationally, I should have bought the tricked out Pro I was looking at at the same time as the LE. I am on the autism spectrum and have a very big problem with ceasing to think about things that bother me. I could not stop thinking about the drop targets. I knew that not a single game on that machine would go by where I did not think about the drops if they weren't there and how much better it would have been if I had the drop targets. So that's my reason..it requires a personality disorder. haha.

#8 5 years ago

TRON LE is a work of art, if you haven't seen it in person and played it in the dark you don't know.
TRON PRO is ok. It's good for TRON fans, it's ok for Pinball players.
Are they REALLY big in difference, no, are they different yes.
TRON fan/pinball collectors can justify the price.
Hell, I'm surprised that most of the initial buyers were not huge TRON fans to begin with.

#9 5 years ago

Tron LE IMO is one of the best pinballs EVER made. The lights/sound/layout/overall package are just amazing. Then add in the fact there are maybe only 250 in North America?

I still wouldn't pay 10k, I'd maybe pay 7500 if I was dying for one.

#10 5 years ago

I paid the extra $5,000 just for Borg's and Stern's signatures.

#11 5 years ago

This thread is exactly why I sold my LE and got a Pro & a Met Premium.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Who's paying $10k? I didn't.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

Would you sell it for that?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

Who's paying $10k?

I traded two machines for my Tron LE that had a combined market value of about $10,500. Insane? Perhaps, but I wanted one, and that's what they were going for. It's the game I play the most, and I have zero regrets.

#15 5 years ago

I'm with TimeBandit. I debated this for quite a while before deciding on LE. Eventually I realized that I would always be thinking the grass is greener on the other side

I understand ctozzi's point where you could get a Pro plus another pin. However I don't have space for more so that's not relevant for my situation. I just want a few pins I like the most.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I understand ctozzi's point where you could get a Pro plus another pin. However I don't have space for more so that's not relevant for my situation. I just want a few pins I like the most.

Once a person runs out of dedicated space, the whole 2-for-1 argument goes right out the window. That logic only makes sense during a person's "building" phase.

#17 5 years ago

Funny thing, in Disney Land they have a Tron LE which is kind of been beat down, They could make more selling it than they will ever make with people putting a few quarters in now and then.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I paid the extra $5,000 for Borg's and Stern's signatures.

Why doesn't mine have signatures?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Why doesn't mine have signatures?

I believe only the first 50 or so have them.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Your intuition is spot on. Awesome HUO Pro's are easy to get. Picked up one recently with all 3 translites, upgraded light cycles, and the arcade mod. Added the EL wire myself and it looks awesome. All that and I think I'm in it for 5.5k IIRC. Great pin...highly recommend!

Don't know if "Eli's color changing LED mod" is shipping yet, but once it does, it could impact the price someone is willing to pay for the LE (though if only 250 TRON LE's were made, maybe not...).

#21 5 years ago

Alas, I'm one of those who got late to the party and put up $10K for it. It was the first pin I had ever purchased and I went into it pretty naïvely. It fits beautifully into my TRON collection and I have continued to invest into various mods for it. Yes, I would have liked to get it for far less, but in hindsight, I can live better with the sting of having paid for it too much than not having it at all!

#22 5 years ago

Here's a list of what the LE has over the pro.

1 - Daft Punk Multiball
2 - Silver around PF inserts
3 - Drop targets instead of standups
4 - Moving Recognizer
5 - Color changing lighted ramps
6 - LED insert PCBs
7 - Alternating color flashers under the spinner
8 - Individually controlled recognizer inserts in front of the 3 target
9 - Chrome trim
10 - Metal apron with clear blue windows w/ flashers
11 - Metal PF rails
12 - Traditional lockdown bar and receiver
13 - LE numbered plaque on backbox and signed certificate of authentisity
14 - Hologram sticker on translite

#23 5 years ago

The LEs just simply don't come up for sale all that often. I see no reason to ever sell mine, it is basically forever off the market. Every other current LE owner I have ever spoken with feels the same way.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

Alas, I'm one of those who got late to the party and put up $10K for it. It was the first pin I had ever purchased and I went into it pretty naïvely. It fits beautifully into my TRON collection and I have continued to invest into various mods for it. Yes, I would have liked to get it for far less, but in hindsight, I can live better with the sting of having paid for it too much than not having it at all!

At least you are new to the hobby. I could have been in on the pre-order at nearly half of what I paid. I love the theme and knew I wanted one as soon as they were announced. Unfortunately, it just wasn't very good timing for me. I then watched as the price soared. Eventually, I just cried uncle and paid up. Sucks, but it is what it is.

#25 5 years ago

Thanks Tekman, I appreciate the list of differences for the LE.

#26 5 years ago

The LE also has different extra ball rules. You have to shoot each ramp four times to spell DAFT and then PUNK. I believe you can just keep pounding the same ramp eight times on the pro.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

TRON PRO is ok. It's good for TRON fans, it's ok for Pinball players.

I don't get why you're saying it's just "ok" for pinball players. The argument has been made before that the stand up targets play better than the drops because you can bank shots off them, and so for players specifically I think it's a wash. Both play great.

#28 5 years ago

I play RobT's tron LE all the time. Love the game. Numerous times I've had $ for a tron pro but spent it elsewhere. The LE is so good that if I had the pro, no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't be an LE.

#29 5 years ago

As I remember, there was no love for Tron. Cheap ramps, artwork was bad, flow was horrible etc. I recall the shitty mini video arcade everybody thought was absolute shit. I pulled the trigger anyway...preordered my LE and was nervous as hell thinking a bad ass theme failed to impress thousands of pinball heads. The game slowly started catching on, hands down, everyone who wanted a tron wanted an LE. Limited, Chrome armor, el wires, 3d translight, moving recognizer, drop targets, additional modes in the software code updates. Jermey@tilt deigned the replacement mini arcade mod with Mark&Angie taking on hundreds of orders improving the design of the mod. This Mod was the start of what I would say was the beginning transformation of what the pro and LE are today. The modders were out in full force, hemi&gio, hooked, pinbits, pinballlife, kimpinballs (recognizerled mod) PP&FF speaker upgrades, cointaker LED's (led availability was limited at this time) Joey@pd and the chrome/powdercoat players, my apologies for not mentioning all. Now owners with the tron Pro were looking much like the LE's except for one thing, el wiring and that's were Eli and his crew come in. Very exciting times for the pro owners as patience will pay off once the kits are available. Much thanks to the dedication and hard work the mod guys/gals put into the hobby to make games better and more enjoyable. The final distinction the LE/pro commanding the $'s is the authenticity of being an original. Collectors collect and love limited original one of a kinds and will pay the bucks to own one. All about the buyers choice but eventually owning a pro, one will experience what owners of LE's have enjoyed. Vault up those certificates LE owners

#30 5 years ago

Love my LE. Was giving serious consideration to selling as prices rocketed up, but decided to keep her.

Between lowballers wanting something for nothing, no shows promising the moon, and flippers just looking for a potential quick buck, I found my taste for keeping it higher.

I played a Pro on location. Almost cancelled my preorder due to how uninspiring I found it!
Of course, home setting and all the extras made this game truly unique.

Tried a pro in a friends collection. He had mods on it, played well, but I found it felt lacking something. All the same mods I have, just a lesser version.

#31 5 years ago

To me it's simple. Tron pro can't be tron le. It's the only stern since their new platform on levels of games has been established where the le was different from any other model. Can't be said since. You want Acdc le, buy the premium. Same game. You want Metallica le, buy the premium. Same game. You want Star Trek le, ...... You get the point. I would only buy an le now of I get it for the same price or very close to the premium. That's how I got my Metallica. But for my future Acdc, it will be the premium.

#32 5 years ago

I had a tron pro plainly because by the time I got in the hobby the LE was 9grand plus. I always felt because of the theme the integrated ramp lighting was necessary for full effect. I followed Eli's mod and decided I wanted no part of that install. Had a X-Men Wolverine that I despised so I traded pro Tron and Xmen LE away for a low play LE. If you ask the other end of the trade he will say he won bigtime ending up with two machines in great shape. I would say I got a bargain, since my enjoyment of the game is much greater on the le.

There are more reasons then the light show, yes in a dark comfortable home arcade there's not much close to the LE. But for me it feels more solid, its got metal pieces where there was plastic on my pro (I think). Had bounceback from both ramps when the ball should have dropped it did not, the LE does not do this for whatever reason. Its more than a plaque but yes the lighted ramps did suck me in I admit it happily.

Yes it's overpriced, but it's a ten grand machine because thats what most end up paying for one lately. They do not come up for sale often because flat out most people who have them are not looking to let them go.

Regardless of any mod that comes out I think the LE will be one of those rare games that is coveted.

p.s. The gem shot is just as hard on both models

#33 5 years ago

I've played the LE they have at the Strong Museum in Rochester NY and I have to say it is the most visually impressive pinball machine I've ever seen. They have it in a dark area now and its just absolutely mesmerizing. The gameplay and rules are good too, so its really a treat that they have one there in good condition for the public to play.

#34 5 years ago

I'm not surprised that all the LE owners love it. I think claiming the build quality is much better is wishful thinking. From my perspective (as a Pro owner), a modded Pro looks & feels pretty darn close to the LE (I've played both, but never owned an LE). Since both are great games, it's great Stern did another run to increase supply to meet demand...

#35 5 years ago

The ramps are of better quality on the LE, and the art looks better with the silver linings vs. the red on the pro.

#36 5 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like Tron really validates the Pro/Prem/LE model - everyone gets something they're happy with. The arcade mod is a "must have" on Tron; I hope a similar high-end mod emerges for ST.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Let me clarify, Tron LE does not have EL wire. Both ramps have fiber optic tubes around them that illuminate in different colors dependent upon the mode your in, mode thats lit, bonus count down and other things. Although the kit by Eli is cool for pro owners. It still doesnt compare to the functionality of the LE fiber optic lighting as its coded in the software and they are on in some fashion almost constantly during game play & attract mode, while ELi's do not.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Would you sell it for that?

Hell no!

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

Just to clarity I did get mine NIB pre-order. I think $10k is where the money starts if you want to try and pry one from a collector.

#40 5 years ago

@RawleyD - Could you explain to me how the TRON ramps are better on the LE vs the pro? Just curious since I'm considering buying some. Not meaning the lighting but the actual ramp quality? They appear the same to me.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from BillE:

@RawleyD - Could you explain to me how the TRON ramps are better on the LE vs the pro? Just curious since I'm considering buying some. Not meaning the lighting but the actual ramp quality? They appear the same to me.

The only difference is the LE has lots of holes to allow for the plastic ties.

When I added the EL wire to my Pro ramps, I did it with heavy duty 3M clear double sided tape...I think it looks much better than the plastic ties.

#45 5 years ago

I would probably trade my MM for a Tron Le if anyone in my part of the world is interested

#46 5 years ago

Not sure this represents Elis work correctly. Let me summarize as one of the beta testers.

Elis fiber optic kit is rom controlled, like the LE, but of course its being driven by calls from the PRO rom.
The kit uses PWM for thousands of colors (as opposed to the 8 in the LE), and uses clear fiber tubes instead of frosted. Will you ever need this many colors? No, but if you want a particular color you can create it.
The kit allows you to load up the preconfigured modes or make your own modes along with the calls coming from the tron rom. We've tried to accentuate all of the modes with lighting that informs and accentuates the modes and action. Eli and later Herg (another early adopter) did incredible work on this.
The lighting is running whenever the game is on - in attract mode and during game play. There are a few modes that are unique to the kit like the flynn mode and some other colors and effects as you approach SOS and portal. The software was updated many times since the early adopters got their kits.
It's an incredible add-on to the PRO and something every pro owner should see. Can't wait til the production units go on sale and other pro owners can experience this for themselves.

Quoted from hassellcastle:

Let me clarify, TRON LE does not have EL wire. Both ramps have fiber optic tubes around them that illuminate in different colors dependent upon the mode your in, mode thats lit, bonus count down and other things. Although the kit by Eli is cool for pro owners. It still doesnt compare to the functionality of the LE fiber optic lighting as its coded in the software and they are on in some fashion almost constantly during game play & attract mode, while ELi's do not.

#47 5 years ago

IMHO - I see almost no practical difference between the Pro and LE. To me it's simply a few *blingy* mods difference (which are nice in the dark). I've played both a Tron LE and a Pro side by side and there was no difference in a well lit room. In the dark the LE has the extra lighting effects. The game play is 99% exactly the same except for the drop targets - which I prefer the standups on the Pro for the speed and bank shots. People are fooling themselves when they think the build quality is so much better on the LE - really? There's only a handful of part differences in the entire game - run on the same assembly line. If you're more of a collector than a player, then it's probably best to get the LE. If you're more of a player then it really doesn't make much of a difference - again IMHO. Great game Pro or LE BTW.

#48 5 years ago

Agree with pretty much what everyone is saying about the LE. Another thing to keep in mind is that half went overseas, so there are only 200 in the states. Many of those are owned by arcade collectors (they LOVE Tron) ....so those games aren't going to be making the sale/trade rounds in the pin community. Also, I'll never sell mine....I'm part of the "problem" Pro was never an option for me personally.

#49 5 years ago

I can not justify the price increase of an LE over the Pro. While the LE does have a bunch of extras, playing the Pro is just as much fun as an LE. I was lucky enough to get my LE on day one of preorder (we won't discuss how cheap that was ) but if it wasn't the fact that I have dialed mine in perfectly, I would be selling it for a pro plus something else (like an ACDC)

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Not sure this represents Elis work correctly. Let me summarize as one of the beta testers.
Elis fiber optic kit is rom controlled, like the LE, but of course its being driven by calls from the PRO rom.
The kit uses PWM for thousands of colors (as opposed to the 8 in the LE), and uses clear fiber tubes instead of frosted. Will you ever need this many colors? No, but if you want a particular color you can create it.
The kit allows you to load up the preconfigured modes or make your own modes along with the calls coming from the tron rom. We've tried to accentuate all of the modes with lighting that informs and accentuates the modes and action. Eli and later Herg (another early adopter) did incredible work on this.
The lighting is running whenever the game is on - in attract mode and during game play. There are a few modes that are unique to the kit like the flynn mode and some other colors and effects as you approach SOS and portal. The software was updated many times since the early adopters got their kits.
It's an incredible add-on to the PRO and something every pro owner should see. Can't wait til the production units go on sale and other pro owners can experience this for themselves.

Yes I heard from many people that Eli's ramp lights mod is better then the ramp lights on the LE and way more interactive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside