View topic image gallery

Tron LE new.JPG
Tron LE 1.JPG
Pro 1.JPG
DSC09974.JPG
DSC09977.JPG
IMG_2735.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of what the Tron LE fiber optic looks like on the ends? Is it a bunch of smaller fibers that are in the tube? Thanks for any pictures!

#2 10 years ago

Granted, I've never actually taken mine apart, but I always assumed they were single tubes illuminated by color changing LEDs.

#3 10 years ago

It's just your standard fibers - cotton, hemp, wool, rayon, etc.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

It's just your standard fibers - cotton, hemp, wool, rayon, etc.

egyptian cotton?

#5 10 years ago

Fiber optics are made with very thin strands of glass. There would have to be multiple strands in there if it's fiber optic.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

Does anyone have pictures of what the TRON LE fiber optic looks like on the ends? Is it a bunch of smaller fibers that are in the tube? Thanks for any pictures!

That's exactly what it is, a bunch of fibres that's in a white shealth, and then you have a cap on the end holding it all together. You can't take the cap off as it's glued on there.

IMG_2735.JPGIMG_2735.JPG
#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

That's exactly what it is, a bunch of fibres that's in a white shealth, and then you have a cap on the end holding it all together. You can't take the cap off as it's glued on there.

IMG_2735.JPG 222 KB

Thank you! That is what I was hoping it was. A friend of mine has the kit to add the lights to his ramps from pinbits, but it's not nearly as bright as the original. We were looking at what would make it brighter and found side glow multi strand fiber on ebay that should make it much much brighter!

Thanks for confirming!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

A friend of mine has the kit to add the lights to his ramps from pinbits, but it's not nearly as bright as the original

Funny, I think Eli's kit is much more vibrant/noticeable than the LE kit. You should add a poll!

DSC09977.JPGDSC09977.JPG

DSC09974.JPGDSC09974.JPG

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

Thank you! That is what I was hoping it was. A friend of mine has the kit to add the lights to his ramps from pinbits, but it's not nearly as bright as the original. We were looking at what would make it brighter and found side glow multi strand fiber on ebay that should make it much much brighter!
Thanks for confirming!

Make sure the ends are all the way in the light emitters - mine were dim until I did this.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Funny, I think Eli's kit is much more vibrant/noticeable than the LE kit. You should add a poll!

You just "happen" to catch your name on the screen in all your pics? You vain bastard...

P.S. That Tron is sexy as fugggg

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Funny, I think Eli's kit is much more vibrant/noticeable than the LE kit.

Agreed. The mode integration isn't quite the same but I would say the brightness is at, or above the LE version.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

P.S. That Tron is sexy as fugggg

I have trouble containing myself around it.

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Agreed. The mode integration isn't quite the same but I would say the brightness is at, or above the LE version.

The LE has the frosted jacket and Eli's is clear, just going off that the LE kit has no chance. Wonder if they are compatible to be swapped out for each other (circumference of the fiber cable)

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

The LE has the frosted jacket and Eli's is clear, just going off that the LE kit has no chance. Wonder if they are compatible to be swapped out for each other (circumference of the fiber cable)

The diameter of the LE fiber is slightly smaller I think? That's just going by eye. Like you said, the LE is frosted so that might throw a visual anomaly in the look of the thickness.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Do you have your GI light choices documented anywhere - I quite like what you've got going on there. I'm growing tired of how 'white' mine is with the GI almost exclusively white frosted - I liked it before I put the ramp fiber on, but the white drowns out the effect of the lighted ramps a bit.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Do you have your GI light choices documented anywhere

No but I can look it over real good and give you a breakdown, although I just ordered all transparent rubbers from PBL so I will be digging into it sometime soon.

Its really just a mix of blue-orange-white no ghosts from PBL

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

The circumference of the LE cables and the cables in Eli / Pinbits kit are close, but overall the LE cables are a bit smaller.

The problem with swapping them out for each other is the caps on the end of the LE cables. The caps end up making the LE cables 3-4 mm larger in diameter, so the problem is that if you want to put the LE cables into the metal blocks you get with Eli's kit you'd have to drill them out 3-4 mm bigger so the caps could fit in properly.

You also get the reverse problem if you wanted to put Eli's cables directly onto an LE, the holes are too big for the cables.

You can't just swap the metal blocks around because the boards attached to them won't line up properly.

When I had my Pro with Eli's kit I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if I could get a stock set of LE cables to fit (and now that I've got an LE I can see how they are different)!

#17 10 years ago

Ya, I spoke with the guy who made/sold these cables to Stern and basically they're hundreds of fiber strands with a super compressed cap crimped on to make them tight.

I actually asked about possibly making some clear ones but we would need to order hundreds and it simply wasn't cost effective

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

A friend of mine has the kit to add the lights to his ramps from pinbits, but it's not nearly as bright as the original.

When you played the LE did it have all of the regular incandescent bulbs in it, and when you played the Pro with Eli's kit did it have all LEDs in the GI?

For me I had a Pro first with Eli's kit. In the GI I had cointaker frosted and retro LEDs. I thought Eli's kit looked great, nice and bright.

I then sold my Pro and picked up an LE, which was all stock. First thing I noticed was the difference of having the incandescent bulbs in the machine. The LE fiber optic cables looked nice and bright (but overall the machine looked pretty dull).

I then put all LEDs in the GI just like I had done with my Pro. First thing I noticed was how the fiber optic cables didn't stand out nearly as much as compared to the machine when it was all stock. Basically the fiber optic cables were being drowned out by the GI brightness. On the back panel I had 6 Cointaker retro in there and I ended up changing it to 4 frosted LEDs, and I found that made a big difference (just left 2 sockets with nothing in them).

Below are 3 pictures. The first is from my Pro, the next is the stock LE, and the last one is the LE with LEDs. When you look at the 1st and 3rd pictures you don't really notice a difference in overall brightness, but when you compare it to the all stock machine you can see a different effect that you get from the incandescent bulbs.

Pro 1.JPGPro 1.JPG Tron LE 1.JPGTron LE 1.JPG Tron LE new.JPGTron LE new.JPG
#19 10 years ago

1) The LE cable is a glass fiber bundle in a polymer jacket. It has more even brightness than the clear cable in the kit, but the white jacket also reduces the contrast of the fiber.

2) The Stern original fiber can't be cut to length without compromising the quality of the light interface. It is cut to length at the factory, which works in automobile volumes. So you have to buy a lot. It does seem to pop up for sale occasionally - saw it on Marco's site once.

3) As Steve notes, you have to drill our blocks to install the Stern fiber because the end caps are bigger. That's not hard to do, and you can always wrap the fiber with tape to make up the diameter if necessary.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from PamPinbits:

1) The LE cable is a glass fiber bundle in a polymer jacket. It has more even brightness than the clear cable in the kit, but the white jacket also reduces the contrast of the fiber.
2) The Stern original fiber can't be cut to length without compromising the quality of the light interface. It is cut to length at the factory, which works in automobile volumes. So you have to buy a lot. It does seem to pop up for sale occasionally - saw it on Marco's site once.
3) As Steve notes, you have to drill our blocks to install the Stern fiber because the end caps are bigger. That's not hard to do, and you can always wrap the fiber with tape to make up the diameter if necessary.

Thanks for chiming in Pam!

#21 10 years ago

I was lucky enoug to have one of Elis prototype kits and its much brighter than the factory LE ones. I still feel the production models of Elis kit is outstanding and would want one in a heartbeat if I did not .

#22 10 years ago

Ok, so I have now looked at both in person, the LE vs the kit, and the kit doesn't seem nearly as bright as the original, we checked to make sure the ends were pushed in all the way and they are. It just doesn't seem to diffuse the light well.

So here is my question, has anyone here tried sanding the tubes to make it diffuse the light better? I would think this would make it much much brighter.

I have also ordered the full kit, so I might try being the ‘guinea pig' and do one side sanded and one not, if it fails I will just order another tube.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

anyone tried this as a replacement? amazon.com link »

That's EL wire. It's a completely different technology. Plenty of people have installed EL wire on their Trons, but that's not what the LEs or Eli's kit uses.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

anyone tried this as a replacement?

What you're looking at there is what's called EL wire, so it's not fibre optic cable. Before Eli / Pinbits kit we put the EL wire onto our Tron Pros, and it looked great. It's just one colour though, so it doesn't change. About a year ago I posted up a step by step thread showing how to install the EL wire kit:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-step-by-step-instructions-for-the-el-wire-mod

Good thinking though but unfortunately it wouldn't work.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

Ok, so I have now looked at both in person, the LE vs the kit, and the kit doesn't seem nearly as bright as the original, we checked to make sure the ends were pushed in all the way and they are. It just doesn't seem to diffuse the light well.

So here is my question, has anyone here tried sanding the tubes to make it diffuse the light better? I would think this would make it much much brighter.

Maybe some machines just look different overall in terms of brightness, hard to say. For me the best way to describe it is that the clear cables of Eli / Pinbits kit looked a little transluscent (or maybe it's transparent that I'm looking for) and a little bit uneven in some places at times, but I always thought in terms of brightness they were quite similar. Overall though I always thought it looked awesome and was very happy with the kit.

I thought about sanding the cables as well, but never tried it. At least now you can just order up a cable if you want, so if you do sand it and don't like it you can at least buy a new one. Would be interested to hear what you think of it after doing some sanding.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's EL wire. It's a completely different technology. Plenty of people have installed EL wire on their Trons, but that's not what the LEs or Eli's kit uses.

Oh my god, really? Two years we have been talkinga bout this mod people. TWO YEARS! COME ON!! =P

#28 10 years ago

i knew they were different technologies i didn't know the fiber for trons was made to change color.

i made something similar to that back in the day, except for a baseball cap. i actually just used fishing line and an led. i think if it's not fiber, they're called light pipes or something similar

#29 10 years ago

Ok, so I got my kit today and did some experimenting on the fiber. The first test I did was sand the fiber, this provided not much benefit as it looked about the same. So I noticed that this fiber has two parts. There is a very thin sleeve that the actual fiber fits into. By just looking at it you cannot tell. So I removed about an inch of this sleeve. I then sanded that part and tried it, WOW it was night and day. It was at least twice as bright, so I removed about six more inches of the sleeve, proceeded to sand it and tried it out again, no go, it had lost all of it's glow at the very end. The part that was exiting where I removed the sleeve was glowing bright like before, but then faded quickly towards the end. So it looses it's 'optic properties' when removing this sleeve

So I went ahead and put the kit in as normal and it seems much brighter than the others I have looked at, not sure if it's because my environment is darker, but I'm very happy with how it currently looks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-le-fiber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.