(Topic ID: 77185)

TRON is smelling like something burning..

By Geremy13

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Geremy13
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron coil.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

TRON is smelling like something burning..

Last night me and the wife played pinball... we have Big Guns, ACDC, and Tron..... after we were done playing,, about an hour later my gameroom smelled like it was on fire.. burning plastic wires...

I couldn't figure where it was coming from so I opened each pinball machine and it was definitely the TRON and the smell mostly from under the playfield. I got out the flashlight and could not locate any burnt wires.

I felt the transformer... and compared it to the others... same warm temp... nothing hot.

Any ideas? Mod's only include topper (6 months ago), eli's ramps (2 weeks ago).... nothing really drawing much current... but I have had trouble with the start button not working... a few times... and the only fix was lifting the playfield and putting it back down and then it would work... but that was a month ago. Last night was the burning wires smell but couldn't find anything...

Stuck solenoid?... (have no idea)... have not 'spliced' into anything..

#2 10 years ago

Last time I smelled something like this it actually ended up being a GI socket on my STTNG. I suppose it could be anything but in that game I might suspect the motor for the spinning disc.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Stuck solenoid?... (have no idea)

That would be my guess

EDIT: but then again, there aren't too many in Tron and I think you would notice it

#4 10 years ago

any pop bumpers locked on? I had one of mine on Tron do that a month after I got it.
when you turn it on listen carefully for a coil lock on.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

That would be my guess
EDIT: but then again, there aren't too many in Tron and I think you would notice it

Quoted from dgoett:

any pop bumpers locked on? I had one of mine on Tron do that a month after I got it.
when you turn it on listen carefully for a coil lock on.

Very well, I will check these both. The spinning disk has been getting louder lately, varying RPM''s but maybe because it's cold... nothing too alarming. BUT, the disk doesn't spin when it's sitting still. And the smell wasn't found until about an hour after we were done playing... but all games were still on (attract only)

The pop bumpers I will check right now. NOTE: Also, now that it's been 24 hours since the incident, I can localize the smell a little better. Last night it was the WHOLE room and it was difficult just to localize it to the TRON... I checked computers, house wiring, etc... but definitely TRON.

So tonite, I can smell it most from the backbox behind the speaker panel... NOTE: This might be aroma from under the back of the playfield... but this is where I am going to start taking things apart. I'm gonna put down the playfield.. pull out the panel and see what I can find... curious....

Of course everything has been unplugged since last night. I suppose I should get a game of ACDC in before I start this project!

#6 10 years ago

THANK YOU,,, THANK YOU....... THANK YOU......

I have checked every wire... every capacitor... every... every!

I then checked the pop-bumpers... who would've thought? Pop-bumper solenoid FRIED and filled my gameroom with burning wires... I am surprised a fuse didn't blow, but I am SO glad that it is finally figured out. Been without playing TRON for nearly 26 hours now.

So,,, NEXT STEP... I can call chaz and get this RMA'd... which I should do anyways... OR? Any recommendations for replacement with something better?

I know that I post that I love these machines but truly they don't have much play-time on them as I work all of the time... and part of the reason that I love these machines... because I am not working when I am playing them.

But since I have to replace it anyways.. anything better so this doesn't happen in less than a year with less that 500 games on it?

Just curious,, and absolutely thankful that someone posted 'checking' the pop-bumper which I thought 'surely not'. But so it is.......

#7 10 years ago

Call stern first. My guess is you need a coil - and a perhaps board work. If the coil locked on the transistor is likely to be cooked. I have had one really mess up my board as it caught on fire and took out a rather large chunk. Also other times just an easy fix. Doubt tron is still in warranty but I would let stern decide that.

#8 10 years ago

Quoted from coz6:Call stern first. My guess is you need a coil - and a perhaps board work. If the coil locked on the transistor is likely to be cooked. I have had one really mess up my board as it caught on fire and took out a rather large chunk. Also other times just an easy fix. Doubt tron is still in warranty but I would let stern decide that.

Thank you.. Yes, I know the coil is FRIED as it is bleeding and won't move any direction... as for transister... the coil says STERN 10.5 ohms... no transistor... (for whatever that means or for what it's worth)

OH,, also,, this Tron was just bought last April.. or May... by me NIB.... so I would think that it's warranty.

But I don't think they send someone out to replace it... do the soldering,, etc....

COOL! I get a new soldering gun... some lessons.... some solder and spunge thingy that you guys use... OH... and a solder removing tool.... and some flux... let me see... I am sure there is something that I am missing that I have to tell the wife is a MUST HAVE...

#9 10 years ago

Contact your distributor first. Some parts are 90 days some 2 years expert I am not on that. In the past they send out a replacement board and necessary parts. You would do the coil work but not the Board work - coils are easy. Type transistor into google you will see the part that might have been fried. The picture I attached is for reference only not the right part number. But you will see a bank of them on the bottom of the board. You could trouble shoot it further but start with the distributor and make the repair as easy as you can make it

image.jpgimage.jpg
#10 10 years ago

Thank you so much,

Yes, I contacted the distributor and it seems that coils aren't a warranty issue. I will acquire and learn how to replace this 'coil'...

Anybody with recommendations on replacement? Since I'm going to do this I would like to replace it with something better, more stable, and long lasting...

The coil says STERN, 10.5 Ohms, no resistor...... from what I see without removing it yet.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

... I am sure there is something that I am missing that I have to tell the wife is a MUST HAVE...

Hookers to help hold your tools.

#12 10 years ago

I smell the smelly smell of something that smells smelly.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Thank you so much,
Yes, I contacted the distributor and it seems that coils aren't a warranty issue. I will acquire and learn how to replace this 'coil'...
Anybody with recommendations on replacement? Since I'm going to do this I would like to replace it with something better, more stable, and long lasting...
The coil says STERN, 10.5 Ohms, no resistor...... from what I see without removing it yet.

The coil is not really the issue in this situation its the power driver board that creates the problem. Replace the coil with the same part. However, it is very likely you have to do the board work or you could send it out for repair. Based on what I have read in the new stern flipper problem threads its possible to upgrade the transistor in the circuit for future stability.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Right - no "resistor" on it - but there is a series of "transistors" that drive the coil. When you put a new coil in it may not work - or may be "stuck" on which would eventually fry the new one. See pic below from the manual. You can see the which "Q" (transistor) drives the particular pop.

Replacing a transistor is fairly straight forward, but your circuit board is very expensive so practice/know your skills before you go for that. If in doubt, find a local repair company or send you board to Coin-Op Cauldron, Lock When Lit, or another reputable board repair company.

If you do want to start up and buy some cool tools I recommend the hakko desoldering tool - there is a group buy thread on Pinside which offers the best deal I found.

Check here for transistor education at is pertains to pins:
http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm#howdmm

tron coil.jpgtron coil.jpg
#15 10 years ago

Maybe your wife just laid a beating on you while playing Tron and her game was just so good that she was "on fire". Was there a high score on the machine with her initials on it? If so, you may have your answer.

"Wife destroys husband while playing Tron and end result is machine on fire from extraordinary game play". Seriously man, what may be occurring is that you are in Stage 1 of the grief process which is the "denial" phase. Your wife was on fire and the resulting "smell" was from her gameplay, maybe it's just that simple.

Good luck finding the issue, get that game sorted out so there's no future problems.

QSS

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Maybe your wife just laid a beating on you while playing Tron and her game was just so good that she was "on fire". Was there a high score on the machine with her initials on it? If so, you may have your answer.
"Wife destroys husband while playing Tron and end result is machine on fire from extraordinary game play". Seriously man, what may be occurring is that you are in Stage 1 of the grief process which is the "denial" phase. Your wife was on fire and the resulting "smell" was from her gameplay, maybe it's just that simple.
Good luck finding the issue, get that game sorted out so there's no future problems.
QSS

I really didn't think anyone would figure this out. But QuickSilver nailed it on the head. The wife actually was "on-fire" (from cooking my greasy dinner incorrectly) and when I asked her to 'drop-and-roll' she got to close to the Tron pinball and it caught on fire too! When she saw me using the fire extinguisher on the Tron instead of her, it pissed her off. She stood up quickly and laid down the best game I have ever seen anybody play.... at this point I smelled the burning wires and told her to 'Un-Plug' the machine, but she didn't do it before she put her initials in HI-SCORE, which of course pissed me off, so I lifted the playfield and thought about putting her in it, but that violates some sort of ordinance we have in our county, so instead I just politely said 'I'm Sorry', and crawled back into my doghouse where I live most of the time.

She is a sweet woman, and I love her a lot. I will be picking her up from the hospital later this evening after the police finally leave, investigating the fire in the home. Oh!, and the fire dept. never responded to the call that I never made... this is somewhat puzzling but should be all figured out after the attorneys collect their fees......

I love pinside! (Truly, this is the best and most relaxation that I can imagine after a hard day at work).

#17 10 years ago

You serious Clark?

#18 10 years ago

I would suggest you have the game looked at by someone who really knows what they are doing. These are not difficult repairs for someone with experience, but for a noob, which it sounds like you are, I would not attempt it. Especially the board repairs.

#19 10 years ago

when my tron pop bumper FRIED, I fully expected the new coil to lock on due to a failed transistor, but it didn't.
All I replaced was the coil and it's still working perfect to this day.
Not sure what in the heck happened, but a new coil got it back to 100%.
Glad we found OPs problem.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

when my tron pop bumper FRIED, I fully expected the new coil to lock on due to a failed transistor, but it didn't.
All I replaced was the coil and it's still working perfect to this day.
Not sure what in the heck happened, but a new coil got it back to 100%.
Glad we found OPs problem.

Thats good news! I just wonder why the fuse is not catching this melt down?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Thats good news! I just wonder why the fuse is not catching this melt down?

I appreciate all of you guys. Of course I am asking the same question. The room filled with the smell of burning wires and after clearing the air I expected to see at least a burnt fuse.

As for replacement,, yes, I do have a contact that does this for a living... and while I would enjoy learning/ doing it myself I think I will leave this to the fella that does this for a living... (watch over his shoulders, ask him what he is doing, how he learned how to do it, teach me how to do it!!!!!!!!!!) .... and them give him another one of my select Natural Lite's which I thoroughly enjoy! (Not being funny here, I like Natty Lite!)

As for the wife, she's doing fine! Nothing too disfiguring... just a little burnt.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

I appreciate all of you guys. Of course I am asking the same question. The room filled with the smell of burning wires and after clearing the air I expected to see at least a burnt fuse.
As for replacement,, yes, I do have a contact that does this for a living... and while I would enjoy learning/ doing it myself I think I will leave this to the fella that does this for a living... (watch over his shoulders, ask him what he is doing, how he learned how to do it, teach me how to do it!!!!!!!!!!) .... and them give him another one of my select Natural Lite's which I thoroughly enjoy! (Not being funny here, I like Natty Lite!)
As for the wife, she's doing fine! Nothing too disfiguring... just a little burnt.

Doing the calculation. 1.5 hour drive for a 6 er of the natural ice… well ok glad you know a different guy! lol glad the wife is doing well.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Doing the calculation. 1.5 hour drive for a 6 er of the natural ice… well ok glad you know a different guy! lol glad the wife is doing well.

NO!,,,, not 6 er of Natural Ice... that stuff is pretty stout for us here ya know....

I was willing to part with (1) one,,, of my Natty Lite Spectaculars....... not a whole 6 er.

Now,,, you say you're only 1.5 hours away?

Maybe I will make a concession and go against policy in this one instance. This could actually work.

I'm headed to the store right now! One six pack Natty Ice..... It's all for you once you get here and fix my grieving moment of the Tron being dead for now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Trade
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-is-smelling-like-something-burning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.