(Topic ID: 18146)

Tron Is Done

By HoneyBadger

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Confirmed by Gary Stern himself at the NW Pinball Show..."There will be no more runs of Tron"

Glad I got mine before prices skyrocket on them.

#2 11 years ago

Me too. Another "growth stock" in the collection! Thanks for posting.

#3 11 years ago

I figured that as it's now listed in Past games on their site, I'm also glad I added an LE to my collection.

#4 11 years ago

Doesn't surprise me. I should get one now when I can.

#5 11 years ago

As a Tron owner I can say that is a really disapointing announcement. Huge demand for this wonderful game and now fewer people will get to enjoy one. Stern stopping production of what many, including me, view as their best game is a crazy business decision that I just don't understand.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Stern stopping production of what many, including me, view as their best game is a crazy business decision that I just don't understand.

I'm guessing the license ran out or it really is a crazy business decision...

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ah, of course. Good call there iceman. Disney is extremely strict with their licensing - that has to be it.

#8 11 years ago

Well, they've said this about TSPP, LOTR, SM, etc, they say that after every extra run of a game to help distributors (i.e. to create a rush to buy them so people won't miss out). As soon as they come out with a game that doesn't sell well, you'll see more Tron. What Gary means is that they have no plans to make another run at this time, but that doesn't mean that plans don't change.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Exactly. It has nothing to do with if they want to make more, can they make more? SM license ended December 31st, 2010. No more after that date.
    No one knows when exactly the license ran out, if it did, for Tron. If it did, they are done.

#10 11 years ago

Color me confused but, I thought this was already common knowledge that this past Tron run was it. Explaining why the price of the pro sky rocketed. I thought we all knew this. Maybe not though.

#11 11 years ago

Great game - I got in on the tail end as my game was made in May 2012 but glad I did.... I dont see mine going anywhere soon.... It is a keeper and a fun game to play.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Color me confused but, I thought this was already common knowledge that this past Tron run was it. Explaining why the price of the pro sky rocketed. I thought we all knew this. Maybe not though.

No, I thought the rumor was that there was going to be another run this summer.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

No one knows when exactly the license ran out, if it did, for Tron. If it did, they are done.

Hmm, Disney's licensing timelines are public information . . . might take some digging but we could find out . . . perhaps I'll ask my wife look it up for me if I can survive the eye roll I will get from popping that request.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

That has come and gone already. They made about 50 but were only for distribs that were waiting for them. Nothing was announced.

Its gonna be funny in a year or so when you see Tron Pros selling for over $6500 HUO.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

"There will be no more runs of Tron"

Oh well... I was thinking I may buy one if they popped back up on Amazon. I remember last month when someone on here pointed out Tron Pro on amazon with no taxes and free shipping.

BBH is still on amazon though... NIB... Everybody go get one.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The last run with the new decals was your summer run if I am not mistaken.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

The last run with the new decals was your summer run if I am not mistaken.

I think that's right. Mine came out of that run and was received in May. Shortly after that, I think they told distributors that would be it. But I think this may be the first time Gary has said it directly to the public at a show. My timeline may be a bit off but this is roughly what happened.

#18 11 years ago

Same with IM. License ran out.

Any more final code updates?

And are the latest Trons with decals? Would prefer printed onto cabinet rather than decals for longer life.

Hmmm, do I get one while I can??

#19 11 years ago

Gents,

Just because a license runs out does not mean that a license cannot be renewed. It's like how people were theorizing that they couldn't make any more Trons because the translite was impossible to make -- they made it once, they could again.

The question, of course, is - is there enough of a return to remake Tron?

The collector's market is one thing, and even though it has a pretty good following here, how close to saturated is the collector's market, really? I wouldn't see many ops lining up to get one for an old property that Disney may or may not ever do another movie for, so it's *just* the collectors market. In the past, that has been enough to get another run (LOTR LE), but in that case you had an extremely active seller who was willing to sell the entire run himself - Jack. Without Jack, would another distributor step up to the plate?

We'll see. If Tron is truly commanding $6500+ next summer for HUO machines, I would be really surprised if Stern doesn't find a way to re-run some more.

#20 11 years ago

does anyone know the exact number of pro models produced?
    im just wondering.

#21 11 years ago

Also wondering how much of a pain the pegs are when lifting the Pro playfield? It has put me off buying one before....

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

does anyone know the exact number of pro models produced?
    im just wondering.

No worse than the curled end legs Data East used.

LTG

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

Its gonna be funny in a year or so when you see Tron Pros selling for over $6500 HUO.

Or if people are trying to get $3K for them to get what ever the next Stern pin is then.

LTG

#24 11 years ago

If a license runs out and they want to make more, they will. In the past, they've said many titles "are done" and "we no longer have the license" only to eventually run more. They can renew the license, get orders from distributors lined up, and get the line ready for Tron again if they want.

I'm guessing you'll see something like a Tron SE run sooner or later. High res decals, normal translite, LE ramps and playfield, etc.

#25 11 years ago

I was lucky enough to get one of the last (if not the last) in Canada just a few weeks ago and still at a very good price. I think this game will continue to draw attention... even if XMEN does use a similar layout.
    Now if only I can get around to completing all the mods!

Quoted from mechslave:

If a license runs out and they want to make more, they will.
    I'm guessing you'll see something like a Tron SE run sooner or later.

I would not hold my breath. If they could have made more it would have happened while demand was high. Running out of 3D translite, toys, cabinets etc... These were just part of the issue. They can't afford to continue running Tron when they're still backed up on ACDC and now XM is set to ship in late June/July. Maybe if they reconsidered their practice of releasing 3-4 pins per year, it might be possible, but Gary knows better than to satisfy 100% of demand.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Also wondering how much of a pain the pegs are when lifting the Pro playfield? It has put me off buying one before....

They make doing anything under the pf a big pain. But you can get the old slides from a supplier.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

They make doing anything under the pf a big pain. But you can get the old slides from a supplier.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1956&parent=272

#28 11 years ago

I didn't get what everyone was talking about these "posts" on the stern games..... I've never had to deal with them, but how is that any worse than the old pins, which didn't have anything more than a useless prop rod?

I'm a fatty...5"9 270. There ain't no way in the hell I can get under slide supports to get to anything important on a pinball machine. I could see it being easier to move into the fully upright position with a full bracket...maybe. I've got pretty long arms... I don't think it would matter to me. Is the argument that it would be harder to work on the rear of the TOP of the playfield since it doesn't pull out all the way? I could kinda see that... I used the bracket rest a lot while shopping out my STTNG.

Do people actually work on the underside with the pf on the slide rest? How the crap do you see anything?

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I didn't get what everyone was talking about these "posts" on the stern games..... I've never had to deal with them, but how is that any worse than the old pins,

The Bally/Williams prop rods, as bad as they were for your pf, at least held things up at a decent angle to do something. These Stern posts are about 10" long with a rubber shooter tip on the end. They alow you to pull the playfield into one position that is only about 2" forward out of the cabinet. Pretty useless.
    What I really miss are the locking latches at the ends of the playfield runners that let you know you've pulled the PF out to it's maximum. When I got my first (and only) Stern, I pulled out so far that I almost dropped the entire playfield into the bottom of the cabinet!

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

What I really miss are the locking latches at the ends of the playfield runners that let you know you've pulled the PF out to it's maximum. When I got my first (and only) Stern, I pulled out so far that I almost dropped the entire playfield into the bottom of the cabinet!

Same here - TRON was my first Stern - I gave the palyfield a good pull forward expecting the palyfield to catch on the runner and almost ended on the floor with the playfield on top of me - boy was I surprised there was not runner.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

If they could have made more it would have happened while demand was high.

Actually, demand for machines goes up as time passes, generally. Logic follows that they might make more... when demand gets high enough.

Maybe a dozen people buying them for $200 more than their last price isn't enough, but maybe $5500 HUO Pro models will be. Again - LOTR LE. Demand didn't go up enough to make that a reality until the standard runs of LOTR were LONG over.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

Thanks. At least they can be bought!

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Shadow said:

Thanks. At least they can be bought!

I just got them in the mail and just read the installation instructions - there are holes under the apron but you need to drill pilot holes for the other end. I hate having to drill under the playfield - I guess i better not do it after a few beers....

#34 11 years ago

I wonder how many decals vs. silk screen were done and if there is a difference in perceived value between the two.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Actually, demand for machines goes up as time passes, generally. Logic follows that they might make more... when demand gets high enough.
    Maybe a dozen people buying them for $200 more than their last price isn't enough, but maybe $5500 HUO Pro models will be. Again - LOTR LE. Demand didn't go up enough to make that a reality until the standard runs of LOTR were LONG over.

Exactly. Most bought their LOTRs in 03-04, and after years of "No more LOTR ever" they ran the LE's. Then they made those LOTR SE's with the decals in 2010.

If the orders are there, and they can squeeze in a run, they will make more. It will eventually happen for Tron if demand is there.

#36 11 years ago

I would not sell my pro for 6500.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Me either...

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Same

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I just got them in the mail and just read the installation instructions - there are holes under the apron but you need to drill pilot holes for the other end. I hate having to drill under the playfield - I guess i better not do it after a few beers....

My Guys just finished two of these.. He Said put a piece of Blue tape when you want to stop with the drill bit. Just wrap it around the bit its self..

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

My Guys just finished two of these.. He Said put a piece of Blue tape when you want to stop with the drill bit. Just wrap it around the bit its self..

That is how I did it and it worked well. I did this before I even pugged it in.
    Pretty bad drill the playfield before I played a game one it.

#41 11 years ago

getting my heavily modded one from GEX this week. whoopee.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

will be waiting on pics!
    whats up?

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

They look amazing, cant wait!!! : )

Major props to JJ at Game Exchange of Colorado for some great work and way better prices than what others are charging out there.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

Congrats!
    I have so many Tron mods sitting in boxes and no time to install them.
    I wish I had someone to do it for me too

JJ is the man!

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Congrats!
    I have so many Tron mods sitting in boxes and no time to install them.
    I wish I had someone to do it for me too
    JJ is the man!

Fly me up there and I will install them for you

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Fly me up there and I will install them for you

What would be the fun in that???

I'm looking forward to getting the PIG. That will be a gamechanger! I also just got me LE ramps and I got an early version of Kimball's sound activated EL wire kit. It's pretty cool and makes the wire seem much more interactive as it turns off and on with different modes, music and callouts. Maybe I'll get it done by next week and shoot some video.
    I've got a couple of custom mods planned but gotta get out the soldering iron and LEDs. I think I'll be cutting some black mirror blades for it soon too.
    Can't wait.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

I'm looking forward to getting the PIG. That will be a gamechanger!

Drano - I got the manual for the PIG but couldn't figure out why it is so much better than just a splitter. Maybe the manual was just too technical for me....

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

I think I'll be cutting some black mirror blades for it soon too.

Did you find the black mirror somewhere ??

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

Drano - I got the manual for the PIG but couldn't figure out why it is so much better than just a splitter. Maybe the manual was just too technical for me....

marksf123, did you check out the video ??

#50 11 years ago

As I continue to work and get feedback on the PIG, I would classify the product as a "Pro" mod. Not everyone understands it, and that's OK. What will probably end up happening is a group of hardcore guys using it for whatever they want, and then a set of mods that use it as the brain. I have two mods in the works that require it.

The difference I guess is, do you want your mods to look like they were put on after the fact, or as if they were part of the original design?

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-is-done and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.