(Topic ID: 28652)

Tron incongruity - if you have a Tron you must see this ;)

By hassanchop

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ENDOFLINE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2012-10-25_at_12.25.14.png
    Screen_Shot_2012-10-25_at_12.23.25.png
    CLU-Light-Cycle-260x160.jpg
    tron-i2.gif
    tron_i1.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Some of you already know, most of you don't, but my Tron arrived with the cabinet box slightly cracked. it doesn't affect gameplay, it is an easy fix that won't damage the art.
    Anyway i want to do a reproduction of the cabinet art for me for a few reasons: someday if i damage the cabinet, Stern doesn't sell them. I am pretty sure in a few long years i will do a restoration of the cabinet. i am a professional in photoshop, so i can "easily" reproduce the art. and the smaller reason is the quality of the print of the actual cabinet that is kinda low.

so for a few days i searched for the images with enough quality necessary to make the art.
    and then i noticed one thing, the cycle on the right side doesn't exist on the movie and it is completely different from the light cycles from the movie or other Tron licensed product. i am guessing it was taken from some concept art before the movie was made. it is very strange how Disney approved something like this to come out...
    here are pics to illustrate. notice the clear differences in design between the 2 cycles, as well as the type of 3D art used...
    i wrote the most obvious comments, and the art was closely examined by me before i could say this stuff.

as for me i will have to do this side of the machine with a cycle from the movie..

tron_i1.jpgtron_i1.jpg tron-i2.giftron-i2.gif

#2 11 years ago

.. and i see no reason for John Youssi to make a drawing of a light cycle for just one side of the cabinet while the rest of the machine is all pics from the movie.

#3 11 years ago

Everybody has different bikes on the Grid.

#4 11 years ago

Its possible the art was given to Stern while the movie was in development. Disney changed their appearance and Stern had already gone to print with the art. Happens a lot.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Everybody has different bikes on the Grid.

i looked at the movie very closely, and there is none like this one.

Quoted from Richthofen:

Its possible the art was given to Stern while the movie was in development. Disney changed their appearance and Stern had already gone to print with the art. Happens a lot.

yep, this one looks like a concept art. the problem is i can't find the original pic of this light cycle.. so i am screwed to reproduce the art :S

#6 11 years ago

This one seems to be a blend of the two.
    Covered legs but look rear flair is different and it has wings...

CLU-Light-Cycle-260x160.jpgCLU-Light-Cycle-260x160.jpg

#7 11 years ago

I have a full set of Tron art sitting in my closet as a backup just in case it gets damaged in the future.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I have a full set of Tron art sitting in my closet as a backup just in case it gets damaged in the future.

did you do it yourself, scanned or buy?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

U can get the art from stern disributors

Edit: and if u make a big stink about it, stern will probly send u a set at no cost.

#10 11 years ago

Very interesting. Cabinet art is always so important to all of us but yet most of us would have never known. Those are some pretty big differences.

#11 11 years ago

I could be wrong but......

The 'movie original' is of a generic bad guys bike (look at the front the headlights are vertical).

Where as the bike on the Tron cab is Clu's bike (as it should be) and the headlights are horizontal.

Clu's bike was different to everyone else's in the movie.

#12 11 years ago

these 2 pics (movie screenshot) are supposed to be both CLU.
    As Cursed said, the headlights are vertical.
    still you can see no tubes, the helmet is way different and a bunch of other design stuff from the one in the cab.
    ok so the conclusion is the bike on the cab is CLU's, but a concept art.

i will try to get the movie in high res to check this out better

Screen_Shot_2012-10-25_at_12.23.25.pngScreen_Shot_2012-10-25_at_12.23.25.png Screen_Shot_2012-10-25_at_12.25.14.pngScreen_Shot_2012-10-25_at_12.25.14.png

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

I got it through JJ at Colorado Game Exchange. GEX on Pinside. It is a factory part, all 5 pieces.

#14 11 years ago

Good info, but most dont see the sides because its buried between games. Kinda going overb.oard on this one imo

#15 11 years ago

Oberboard? Nah. I think it's interesting. You've got to wonder where that art came from, because not even the VERY early teaser trailers had tubes attached to the helmets, and that's not a design they went back to for the prequel game or anything either. It does look like they kind of amalgamated Rinzler's and CLU's bike lol.

I don't mind the art difference, personally...the cab art for Tron looks great, IMO.

#16 11 years ago

Actually......really showing im a Tron nerd here.........

The top photo is Clu's bike. The lower photo is Rinzler's bike.

Which is more or less the same but orange instead of Yellow. And in that shot it (the bike) has opened up/transformed as he is stopped, not moving.

If you are not familiar with the movie it may seem the same but they are two different characters.

In saying that.....the tube is definitely not in the movie. (to my knowledge anyway)

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cursed:

In saying that.....the tube is definitely not in the movie.

Didn't some of the Black Guard guys have tubes connected to their helmets?

#18 11 years ago

I am familiar with the movie, but clearly not as you are Cursed
    ok so rinzler orange, clu yellow. ok.
    i have a friend that has a blue ray copy of the movie so i will be checking it out and taking screens for us.

#19 11 years ago

yep, the black guards had the tubes connected to their helmets.... good catch.

black guards are the guys with the "wings" flying in that one scene.

Quoted from Frax:

Didn't some of the Black Guard guys have tubes connected to their helmets?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-incongruity-if-you-have-a-tron-you-must-see-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.