_MG_7167-50%.JPG
_MG_7166-50%.JPG
_MG_7155-50%.JPG
_MG_7152-50%.JPG
_MG_7146-50%.JPG
_MG_7140-50%.JPG
_MG_7139-50%.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Did a search on this topic and dont see any reference to this.. and I see all these modded games here but they are missing what I think is the easiest and cheapest way to class up your stern:

Adding Star Posts and chucking metal washers and stern posts.

Here is a my stock Tron before... Notice how the ugly washers kill the light through the art and the post is just.. well, a post.

_MG_7139-50%.JPG_MG_7139-50%.JPG _MG_7140-50%.JPG_MG_7140-50%.JPG _MG_7146-50%.JPG_MG_7146-50%.JPG

#2 11 years ago

I always replace the washers with PETG circles I got with a plastic set from CPR.. (I dont think they sell them separately, but you can do the full protectors from Pinbits or another source for PETG circles.

At the same time, replace the posts with a Williams Posts.. for you color lovers, there are many different variations you can use, and they just add some class back into the game.

_MG_7152-50%.JPG_MG_7152-50%.JPG // Error: Image 77456 not found // _MG_7155-50%.JPG_MG_7155-50%.JPG _MG_7153-50%.JPG_MG_7153-50%.JPG

#3 11 years ago

Looks good, I did this on my old TSPP as well..

#4 11 years ago

Heres Iron Man. Much sweeter! Much more light as well.

_MG_7166-50%.JPG_MG_7166-50%.JPG _MG_7167-50%.JPG_MG_7167-50%.JPG _MG_7173-50%.JPG_MG_7173-50%.JPG

#5 11 years ago

Wow, looks great & so simple. Can't believe I've never thought of this. A very subtle yet very cool mod. Ordering some star posts for my Tron & IM right away.

#6 11 years ago

Love that. Looks a lot better.

#7 11 years ago

It looks great, and I was very tempted to do this to my IM. But, I worry about the dents the star posts will leave on the playfield if I tighten them down too much. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but if the next buyer wants the original posts put back, it could be an issue.

Also, the star post is thicker than the original at the point where the rubber wraps around it. That could translate into narrower inlanes, for example.

#8 11 years ago

looks good, will have to consider doing some of that.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It looks great, and I was very tempted to do this to my IM. But, I worry about the dents the star posts will leave on the playfield if I tighten them down too much. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but if the next buyer wants the original posts put back, it could be an issue.
Also, the star post is thicker than the original at the point where the rubber wraps around it. That could translate into narrower inlanes, for example.

Don't over tighten them. IM and Tron have wide in lanes but if you are a tournament player practicing for an event you can leave the top one narrow. You really don't see that one during gameplay anyway... Some games like TZ had narrow posts on top and star posts on the bottom.

If you were really concerned with 100% accuracy changing from black to white rubber would not be something you should do as it would have much more impact than the slight change in thickness even at the top.

#10 11 years ago

I think most people do this. I know I do on all Sterns.

#11 11 years ago

I am on it thanks, nice upgrade...

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Don't over tighten them. IM and Tron have wide in lanes but if you are a tournament player practicing for an event you can leave the top one narrow. You really don't see that one during gameplay anyway... Some games like TZ had narrow posts on top and star posts on the bottom.
If you were really concerned with 100% accuracy changing from black to white rubber would not be something you should do as it would have much more impact than the slight change in thickness even at the top.

Star posts don't change the width of the lane. The change in this case is purely cosmetic. At the point where the rubber hits the post, its the same width as the stern posts. The wider portion at bottom can't hit the ball. So there's no change. If does look better and I change them out on most my sterns as well.

#13 11 years ago

Cool, if no other collector has the same concerns I did, I'll change mine out too. JoeJet, thanks for the pictures; IM looks especially nice with the white posts.

#14 11 years ago

Good idea of the day.

#15 11 years ago

Looks great thanks for sharing

#16 11 years ago

I did it on my Tron exactly as you have shown. Didn't even think about it on my Iron Man.
Guess I got my work cut out for me this evening.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Star posts don't change the width of the lane. The change in this case is purely cosmetic. At the point where the rubber hits the post, its the same width as the stern posts

Actually, this is not true. They are slightly thicker so theoretically they SLIGHTLY change the inlane size if you put them at the top - but I think its negligible on most games and really not worth worrying about - much less than adding a cliffy, mylar, clearcoat etc. If you used a smaller rubber ring they would stretch more and make it equal..lol. Probably changes gameplay only a little more than adding a target decal.

#18 11 years ago

A lot of folks tell me the first thing they do when they get IM is put my right side ramp protector on. THEN they start doing cosmetics

#19 11 years ago

they do look good, but the last thing i want to do with a NIB game is mess with it. i'll install cliffys but beyond that, i just want to play it and hope it works as expected.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

A lot of folks tell me the first thing they do when they get IM is put my right side ramp protector on. THEN they start doing cosmetics

As i did!!!

First cosmetic - replace posts with cliffy colored posts..

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Cool, if no other collector has the same concerns I did, I'll change mine out too. JoeJet, thanks for the pictures; IM looks especially nice with the white posts.

It does look sweet. Maybe even better with white flips and red rubber....or even better, RED flips with WHITE rubber.

#22 11 years ago

@joejet : so white your rubbers... did you play with your pins ???

#23 11 years ago

white rubber is a must on all pins

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Didn't you know? Joe invented the Swiffer*Ball! Its a ball made out of swiffer material and he runs it through a cycle to automatically clean as it plays

#25 11 years ago

Oh yeah, like the old cassette deck cleaners! Great idea...I want my SwifferBall (tm)!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

white rubber is a must on all pins

Wasn't there a study done where it was proven black rubber does not make a playfield dirtier?

White rubber just shows the dirt more. So really it just comes down to cosmetics.

#27 11 years ago

I am an anal collector.. they get wiped everytime playfield comes off.. including to take pics.

As a matter of fact, one thing that drives me nuts is when people put a game FS and they dont at least wipe down the rubber and posts!

Didn't you know? Joe invented the Swiffer*Ball! Its a ball made out of swiffer material and he runs it through a cycle to automatically clean as it plays

Actually, not a bad idea! Maybe we can make a PinRoomba.. Swiffer around the edges and Novus 2 on the bottom!

roomba560_sideview.jpgroomba560_sideview.jpg

#28 11 years ago

First thing I do is upgrade to colored star posts hate those clear posts

#29 11 years ago

to all...

#30 11 years ago

The nice part about white rubbers is that they are a visible reminder to periodically clean the play field area. If the rubbers are dirty, then you know the play field is dirty and needs to be cleaned.

I like the look of the white too, but that is simply personal preference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Trade
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-im-stern-first-mod-for-everyone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.