10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20131229_043413.jpg
    20131229_041945.jpg
    20131229_013841.jpg
    20131229_011754.jpg
    20131229_011516.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Started looking at installing the Hallmark cycles on my Tron Pro.

I wanted to see how tough it was to crack one open. and more importantly; whether I can update the factory LED's with something from one of the illustrious pinball LED providers.
    (I thought I had previously seen someone say they had done it... but I could not find the post anywhere.)

But, for those who want to know how, here's the pictures:
    (and the first few photos are good for people who wish to solder/bypass the switch, rather than superglue it)

http://www.racepainter.com/pinball/Tron/LC_teardown/index.htm?0_L

Soooo... after successfully getting the bike apart; it looks like its going to be very tough to shoehorn a different set of pinball LED's in there. I may research raw, brighter LED's from some other vendor... but for now, I think I'm going to just use the cycles "stock" wired to my PIG2.

When I had got my cycles off eBay, one of the "Clu" bids I won (for $10.00), turned out to really be a "Sam" blue cycle. Since I already had won & received another correctly described Sam light cycle, this ended up being a spare to experiment with.

Hope they help.
    Greg

#2 10 years ago

thanks for this. was wondering what the insides looked like!

#3 10 years ago

I cracked both of mine open and installed two LED bulbs in there...it was PITA, but like you, I was experimenting to see if it was viable. In short I was able to get two bulbs in there but not without using the soldering iron to melt a good portion of the plastic inside to make room...I also noticed to make the job it a lot easier/cleaner it's best to basically tear out the whole battery compartment and bring in the wire direct and solder the two bulbs directly to the wires. Btw, I forgot to mention I cracked open a 44 base bulb and took out the guts, then soldered my wire to the two legs to be able to make two bulbs fit.

#4 10 years ago

Very nice work! It is always tricky to decode the best way to pull these things apart.

You don't want to use pinball bulbs. You'll do better with standard LEDs but do get bright ones). Each LED will need a 100 ohm resistor wired in series for 5V operation. You should get a big boost in brightness.

#5 10 years ago

Nice work. Tagged this one in my favorites.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Timerider:

Started looking at installing the Hallmark cycles on my Tron Pro.
    I wanted to see how tough it was to crack one open. and more importantly; whether I can update the factory LED's with something from one of the illustrious pinball LED providers.
    (I thought I had previously seen someone say they had done it... but I could not find the post anywhere.)
    But, for those who want to know how, here's the pictures:
    (and the first few photos are good for people who wish to solder/bypass the switch, rather than superglue it)
    http://www.racepainter.com/pinball/Tron/LC_teardown/index.htm?0_L
    Soooo... after successfully getting the bike apart; it looks like its going to be very tough to shoehorn a different set of pinball LED's in there. I may research raw, brighter LED's from some other vendor... but for now, I think I'm going to just use the cycles "stock" wired to my PIG2.
    When I had got my cycles off eBay, one of the "Clu" bids I won (for $10.00), turned out to really be a "Sam" blue cycle. Since I already had won & received another correctly described Sam light cycle, this ended up being a spare to experiment with.
    Hope they help.
    Greg

What is the standard bulb in it? I have one that is not lighting up. I'm assuming I need a new bulb, but I suppose it could be a loose wire.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

...I also noticed to make the job it a lot easier/cleaner it's best to basically tear out the whole battery compartment and bring in the wire direct and solder the two bulbs directly to the wires. Btw, I forgot to mention I cracked open a 44 base bulb and took out the guts, then soldered my wire to the two legs to be able to make two bulbs fit.

Kvan,
    That's what I was thinking of doing too... ripping out the battery holder & PCB.
    And yes.... I was not intending on trying to fit the whole LED assy in there... Just the flat heads.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from PamPinbits:

Very nice work! It is always tricky to decode the best way to pull these things apart.
    You don't want to use pinball bulbs. You'll do better with standard LEDs but do get bright ones). Each LED will need a 100 ohm resistor wired in series for 5V operation. You should get a big boost in brightness.

Pam,
    Thanks... yeah, I figure I might need to scrap the pinball bulbs and just find raw, brighter LEDs.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from wheels:

What is the standard bulb in it? I have one that is not lighting up. I'm assuming I need a new bulb, but I suppose it could be a loose wire.

Unknown... I have not taken any electrical readings for the voltage, and not measured the LED. (guess 3mm?)

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Timerider:

Kvan,
    That's what I was thinking of doing too... ripping out the battery holder & PCB.
    And yes.... I was not intending on trying to fit the whole LED assy in there... Just the flat heads.

Time rider, I finished modding mine, I did not have to melt or break any plastics with the exception of the battery compartment. I actually got a little anal and cut the compartment and re-glued it back and used the poles on it to solder my wires. Plenty of room in there for 2 bulbs, just use thin flexible wires, I did not have any so I used 20 gauge and it was a PITA to bend the wires carefully so I would not stress the bulb resistors. I will post pics. Only thing you need to be careful is gluing the cycle back I got some super glue on one of light bulbs and it after it heated up it smoked a bit and it went dim. So I will taking it back out again

PS: I did the same with my recognizer mod, it came with the tiny rice bulbs in it...I was disappointed because you could hardly see the red when lit up, it was very dim, I ended up putting a regular LED in there too..as you can tell it's very bright.

20131229_011516.jpg20131229_011516.jpg
    20131229_011754.jpg20131229_011754.jpg
    20131229_013841.jpg20131229_013841.jpg
    20131229_041945.jpg20131229_041945.jpg
    20131229_043413.jpg20131229_043413.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-hallmark-light-cycle-tear-down-pictures-to-investigate-led-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.