Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 12.48.27 AM.png
IMG_6928.jpeg
olivia.gif
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

put a color changing LED in there so it morphs into other colors. That would be Tits.

But the Tron discs don't come in fruity flavors - just blue, red/orange, and white.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Got mine tonight and here is my review:
Stay away from this one!
The rubber has way more grip and some balls fly out of the disc in a speed that will probably brake something someday.
It is supposed to be fast, but not that fast. So fast is scary lol
Got some air balls (nothing new in Tron), but i noticed one of them hit the entrance of the right ramp at middle height, for sure if the protector wasn't there the ramp would have been broken.
I rather have the black crap than risk breaking something.
I am not playing another game until i put the black rubber back (that is to show how serious i am about this).
Maybe with time it looses grip, but i am not gonna risk it.
It's a little hard to explain, so i made a video. Also it's hard to show my feeling on the video:
» YouTube video

Uh, yeah, I'm going to agree. That's TOO much activity.

... and your motor sounds as rough as mine does.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

... and your motor sounds as rough as mine does.

The parts playing with one hand and camera on the other are with glass on. just to inform lol

Anyway, yeah i see you all agree. And what you see in the vid is not as scary as seeing it in person...

#54 10 years ago

Glad I have not changed mine yet. Going to give this more time.

#55 10 years ago

LOL, I don't think I've ever seen a ball move that fast....or not see a ball that is, for I could not even track its movement.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Anyway, yeah i see you all agree. And what you see in the vid is not as scary as seeing it in person...

The video was convincing enough for me... When I read your review at first I was like... That hassanchop guy, what a wuss, I'm sure its great. NOPE. Changes things too much for me, I'm OUT.

Thanks for posting,

-Wes

#57 10 years ago

I love it. It flies. There is so much spin sometimes on the ball that it changes direction without hitting anything.

#58 10 years ago

I have mine installed and it is fast! I want to see if it helps with the dirt, but I am a little scared I'm gonna break something. If it was just a little toned down it would be great. I of course ruined the old one taking it off. Who sells the original black rubber in case I decide to go back? Does anyone make a white one that might be in between?

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Who sells the original black rubber in case I decide to go back?

Terry at pinball life, has the black ones.

#60 10 years ago

I installed mine last week and I've seen the ball do some insane things. One time the ball moved down to the middle of the playfield, stopped, and went back around the loop from the left side. Another time it did the same thing but went up the left ramp. It is pretty frightening how fast the ball moves with the transparent rubber disc. I'm hoping it slows down a bit after it has a little ware. If you want the black rubber disc you can buy replacements from pinballlife.com.

#61 10 years ago

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

could it be treated some how to reduce the surface grip?

In time it would probably lose grip. But judging by the black rubber that i never noticed any grip loss, this one will probably take years to do so also..

Anyway, i am gonna take out the clear rubber and put back the black one. I guess it's easy to install the black again with regular glue because it is a perfect fit.
So if anybody wants my clear rubbers to try it out let me know so i can send to you. For free of course.

#63 10 years ago

This is exactly how mine was when I got my TRON. It was crazy fast, wild spins, reverse spins, jumping the flippers, etc. It calmed down, and I would imagine so would the new clear one. I wish mine was that fast again....

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

This is exactly how mine was when I got my TRON. It was crazy fast, wild spins, reverse spins, jumping the flippers, etc. It calmed down, and I would imagine so would the new clear one. I wish mine was that fast again....

Same exact experience - get the white one buy a few - tron will live again!

#65 10 years ago

My black disc is like that after every cleaning. I've drained sdtm where I couldn't see the ball at all. After a while it mellows back down.

I was more concerned with the crazy backspin it puts on the ball doing harm to the pf than damage to plastics!

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

In time it would probably lose grip. But judging by the black rubber that i never noticed any grip loss, this one will probably take years to do so also..
Anyway, i am gonna take out the clear rubber and put back the black one. I guess it's easy to install the black again with regular glue because it is a perfect fit.
So if anybody wants my clear rubbers to try it out let me know so i can send to you. For free of course.

Try waxing it first. That should calm down the grip considerably It'll wear off and get more grippy after a while but at least you can control it's behavior somewhat ... "BAD disk! Bad disk!!!".

#67 10 years ago

#68 10 years ago

I played a few more games and I think I want to retract my "too much" statement. I forgot how different the game plays after being cleaned and I gave it a good cleaning the same time as installing this. This has to be the dirtiest game I've ever owned. I think some people wouldn't believe that it's HUO because it was so dirty. And I clean it all the time. I'm really hoping this cuts down on the dirt.

Buy this mod (and plastic protectors). That's what I'm going with now.

#69 10 years ago

I once played a brand new Tron LE (first run) and the original black rubber was exactly like that. For example, I remember having an air ball flying over the entire playfield ending up somewhere in the bottom part of the left outlane.

#70 10 years ago

I've had mine on for a couple weeks now and it is very fast. I've had it come out and get all the way to the flippers and then go back to the disc cause it has so much backspin. I've also had it shoot out and go backwards over the recognizer to the top lane. I've also had my first glass hit with it and I have decapitated one of my pinbits pop bumpers. It was not broken just needed new tape for it. I thought it was cool in a way to see a pop bumper loose its top like clu was throwing a disc at it. haha
Now on the other hand my game is so much more fun. My disc has never acted like this. with the old one it was somewhat rare for me to complete disc multiball. with the clear one I can do it just about every time. so with this disc on your game you will probably be more likely to break something but the game is a lot more fun to play. Maybe cliffy can make a protector that can go halfway up the ramps. lol

#71 10 years ago

You can feel that the clear rubber is way more sticky just by touching it.
I bought my Tron NIB and even in the first games the disc wasn't hard as this.
It's difficult to show on a vid, but my feel while playing with this was: This sucks! 10 euros down the toilet!
With plastic protectors you will be fine as for plastics... now the pf is gonna get damage for sure in time.

I seriously doubt that Borg meant for his game to play like this.

#72 10 years ago

I'd love to get the grip back in my disc. I've cleaned it a dozen times over the past 2 years with simple green, alcohol, other things. Nothing has brought back the crazy backspin and speed that it had out of the box. What have you used to bring back the "grip"?

#73 10 years ago

I use purple power. Cleans up rubbers easily too

#74 10 years ago

Replace the rubber disk with a new OEM

#75 10 years ago

That video was interesting. IMHO, many times when I shoot the ball in the spinner area, on my machine the ball will tend to hit the back of the disc and stay there for a second, THEN get thrown out. That didn't seem to happen in your video, almost like the ball gets gripped a little too much and just shoots it out right away.

On the mod causing the increased speed of the ball to change direction without hitting anything, that happens on my tron pro, quite a bit actually. It will be coming down and all of a sudden, the ball changes direction a bit. I can't be the only one to notice this on a non-disc modded tron right?

It still looks like a cool mod but I have to admit, I think I will wait and see on this one.

#76 10 years ago

That actually looks pretty dang awesome....

Might be time for this mod and some plastic protectors...

#77 10 years ago

Isn't there a setting in the game that allows you to change the disc spin speed? Would dropping the speed help with the wild flinging?

3 weeks later
#78 10 years ago
Quoted from marlboroa:

I've had mine on for a couple weeks now and it is very fast.

So the REAL question is >>>>> Did it get rid of all the black mess????

#79 10 years ago

Installed the outer clear disk and left the OEM center.
Less grip than using the clear center and out ring
Result: Less black stuff and reduced grip but more than the OEM

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from paratrooper:

So the REAL question is >>>>> Did it get rid of all the black mess????

I now have about 50 games with All clear rubbers and I can count the black scuffs on my pf on one hand. I'm guessing the ones I have are from residue I missed when I cleaned/waxed. Highly recommend this inexpensive upgrade.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Dagron9:

I now have about 50 games with All clear rubbers and I can count the black scuffs on my pf on one hand. I'm guessing the ones I have are from residue I missed when I cleaned/waxed. Highly recommend this inexpensive upgrade.

This is a good sign...

#82 10 years ago

Yes keep us updated on long term effects (i.e. how strong it is now vs when you first installed it e.t.c.)

I'm still on the fence about this mod but want to do it down the road possibly...

#83 10 years ago

All I can say is WOW! Installed mine the other night... Really fast and slings that ball around like nothing I have never seen to date! Almost scary playing it, but I am gonna put some more games on it before I decide.

Wonder if I could just get the OEM Plastic Disc and Rubber from PBLife (with the 3 screws) and just remove the nuts that hold the plastic disc onto the motor?

That way I could swap it if I wanted to without ruining the rubber?

Also replaced the standard lights that were under the disc with Two Blue and Two Red LED's. Awesome looking.

#84 10 years ago

Mine is on and I am keeping it!

It is still crazy with some of the pinballs, but I can tell it is wearing down a bit.

Colored LED under the clear disc look awesome.

All Black Crap is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#85 10 years ago

could a potentiometer be installed on the motor, so you could turn down the voltage/speed when using the clear rubber disc?

#86 10 years ago

I don't think you need to... After 50 or so plays it really isn't that scary. I'd say by now I have 100 games with it and it has slowed down to the point the old black rubber I had was just after I cleaned it. Which is great! There aren't black marks everywhere and the disc is consistently strong. I still get once in a while airballs and the ball still jumps onto ramps but for the most part you have the performance of a clean black disc without the mess. I haven't tried cleaning the clear to see if it can restore to the original state but I will post when I do.

#87 10 years ago

#88 10 years ago

#89 10 years ago

Whoa...that's fast and furious, definitely not good for the plastics...just clean and treat the black one with some armor all or black beauty rubber treatment and it;s plenty fast without being destructive.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

black disc mess

tron-pin-funk1.jpg 575 KB

No more with clear disc installed!

Remove balls, lift play field , remove disc motor, replace condom covered lights with LED, clean disc "hole" plastic with Iso Alcohol from underside of play filed, remove black disc, clean plastic disc with ISO Alcohol, replace with clear disc using super glue gel in a bead, place motor upside down on smooth service for about 20 minutes, replace, clean play field, replace rubbers or clean rubbers....Drop back wall with the 4 screws from under the play field and clean the inner and outer ramp lanes...Replace. Put Balls back in, replace glass and go for it!

Play Game!

Wait and be patient for about 50 games to allow disc to wear-in....

NO MORE BLACK CRAP!

Image after about 100 games with new disc.

Side note: I did NOT try to install without Gel Super Glue, and my new disc fit perfectly into the grooves of the OEM plastic disc..

Using some advise that I posted elsewhere... I put small rubbers on the black pop bumper post near the disc that created a "dribble"... This also helps with the ball not hitting plastic at all!

IMG_6928.jpegIMG_6928.jpeg

#91 10 years ago

I can see some possible worry, but I too installed the clear disk and rubbers and think its amazingly fun! The key is keep that Playfield waxed and maintained so the surface of the table is smooth. I've put I about 15-20 games since installing the new disk and no damage thus far. It's wicked, and I've seen balls whip out testing my poor flipper reflexes.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

I can see some possible worry, but I too installed the clear disk and rubbers and think its amazingly fun! The key is keep that Playfield waxed and maintained so the surface of the table is smooth. I've put I about 15-20 games since installing the new disk and no damage thus far. It's wicked, and I've seen balls whip out testing my poor flipper reflexes.

I actually experienced what Marlboroa did in which the ball came out and traversed half way down, spun back and went up into light cycle ramp !!!! What a trip that was. This thing has made more GEM shots then I have as well...

#93 10 years ago

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 12.48.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-11-16 at 12.48.27 AM.png

Blue LED showing

#94 10 years ago

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 1.05.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-11-16 at 1.05.17 AM.png

clear image

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from paratrooper:

I actually experienced what Marlboroa did in which the ball came out and traversed half way down, spun back and went up into light cycle ramp !!!! What a trip that was. This thing has made more GEM shots then I have as well...

Haha, that was funny as hell to read. Incentive to install if its an advantage to make gem and quorra shots. Make up for my lousy flipper reflex skills.

#96 10 years ago

1 week later
#97 10 years ago

Here is a video of the flasher test through the clear recognizer disc. I just installed it on my LE and OMG it is amazing. One or two scary ejects so far only, but generally just solid spin and great speed. Do it.

#98 10 years ago

I just did the clear rubber mod for the disc wars spinner... my machine is an original 2011 version and man, was that black rubber hard to get off. Peel... scrape, keep peeling, rub with googone, soak in googone, rub some more, scrape some more, keep rubbing... I must have put five hours of elbow grease into getting the rubber off the disc... and still had to leave some of it.

Whatever glue they used to attach that rubber ring, it wasn't coming off. So once I got it down to 98% cleaned, I went ahead and put on the clear rubber, re-attached the motor and buttoned it up.

Let me tell you, the action on that spinner is easily twice as hard as the original. The ball comes out of there with enough backspin to ride halfway back up the play field... it's way more exciting than the original black rubber.

The mod is not easy to do... at least it wasn't for me... I would have been willing to pay $50 for a fresh plastic disc about three hours into the cleaning job... but it's so worth it, both in terms of game play and looks. It looks *great*.

#99 10 years ago

Man that's unlucky. There must be some variation in the way they produced the discs. I hooked a knife under the edge of the disc and pulled it off like a yoghurt lid, both inner and outer. Was done and reinstalled in three minutes.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from docfenderson:

I just did the clear rubber mod for the disc wars spinner... my machine is an original 2011 version and man, was that black rubber hard to get off. Peel... scrape, keep peeling, rub with googone, soak in googone, rub some more, scrape some more, keep rubbing

I feel your pain, this was a bitch. I basically had to widdle and scrape with a sharpened flathead screw driver, not fun. Much easier with disc assembly removed, but still much more difficult than I thought it would be.

My review... I fricken, love this thing. It puts the fear of god in me every time the ball goes into the disk, especially during disk multiball with 3 balls getting flung around. Like Russian Roulette!

Honestly, the speed has settled down...some. But, I would not have it any other way, I love, love, love the speed it throws the balls.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
12,028 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 26.50
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-clear-disc-installed/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.