You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20131220_210525_560.jpg
IMG_20131220_210538_711.jpg
IMG_20131220_210852_531.jpg
#1 10 years ago

My backglass on Tron is broken. Some slivers of glass appear to be stuck to the translate due to static. What is the best way to remove all glass slivers without scratching or otherwise damaging the translite? Could not find backglass at Pinball Life. I am on an ipad so it is harder to search. Any recommendations for backglass other than this one: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/660-5038-02

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Hmmm, Tron only had translites. If you're referring to the 3d translite be very careful since they're hard to come by (and not cheap).

May I recommend heating the front of the glass with a hair dryer as you seperate the two? Hopefully that will help reduce the chance of damaging the translite.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Hmmm, Tron only had translites. If you're referring to the 3d translite be very careful since they're hard to come by (and not cheap).
May I recommend heating the front of the glass with a hair dryer as you seperate the two? Hopefully that will help reduce the chance of damaging the translite.

Yes, the 3d one. The glass covering it is broken, but the translite is fine. The product I linked to will replace the glass, right? Heat the broken glass and then separate? Thank you.

#4 10 years ago

how bout a brushless vacuum attachment, holding it slightly away so as not to scratch?

#5 10 years ago

I personally would take those dimensions to a local glass shop and have them cut and have tempered. Really though, unless shipping is outrageous, doesn't seem like too bad of a price.

For reference, I paid about $40 for a widebody playfield glass for my JD a couple years ago.

As for removing the broken glass. You might try using a spray bottle with soapy water. Could help loosen the glass and act as somewhat of a barrier on the front from abrasions (untested of course )

My original tron 3d translite was scratched, but it seems the backside is much more vulnerable.

#6 10 years ago

Local glass shop is the way to go (under $20)
I would use a utility sink and rinse the translite in cold water.
The glass will wash off no issues.

#7 10 years ago

The vacuum idea sounds good. I just need to hold it away enough.

Shouldn't I avoid getting it wet so it doesn't warp?

Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with.

IMG_20131220_210852_531.jpgIMG_20131220_210852_531.jpg IMG_20131220_210538_711.jpgIMG_20131220_210538_711.jpg IMG_20131220_210525_560.jpgIMG_20131220_210525_560.jpg
#8 10 years ago

I thought the glass would be tempered? Is that only playfield glass?

#9 10 years ago

Back glass is not tempered or you would be vacuuming up a million pieces.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. To close the thread and hopefully help someone in the future, I ended up using a Kirby vacuum for the pieces I couldn't get by hand. It worked well, but still didn't quite get everything. I went to Michael's to get a replacement glass. They used their air compressor and a towel to clean both translites I have. They are placed back to back. They look great with non-glare glass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-broken-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.