7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Sgtmax
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

How did they do this? Does someone sell a blue DMD film?

Looks much better than red considering the theme of the pin.

#2 7 years ago

Film will not work for Blue. Gotta get a Blue LED display and they are not cheap:

http://www.pinled.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=4_15&products_id=141

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Film will not work for Blue. Gotta get a Blue LED display and they are not cheap:
http://www.pinled.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=4_15&products_id=141

Ouch!

Not even close to being worth it. Never thought about Blue film not working.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How did they do this? Does someone sell a blue DMD film?
» YouTube video

Coming soon from X-Pin. USA made.
http://www.xpinpinball.com/

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

RobT said:How did they do this? Does someone sell a blue DMD film?
» YouTube video

Price?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

mnpinball said:RobT said:How did they do this? Does someone sell a blue DMD film?
» YouTube video
Price?

I'm hearing $299. More info should be out soon, or contact them directly.

2 months later
#9 7 years ago

I got a email off Brett from spin going to be $325.

#10 7 years ago

Blue sounds AWESOME - especially for TRON.
It looks similar to the red DMD with misalignment that is on the market. I seen a BIBLE that appeared to have a red DMD and was perfectly aligned (like an orange DMD). If they made a BLUE pefect alignment, it'd be over the $400 mark for sure

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Blue sounds AWESOME - especially for TRON.
It looks similar to the red DMD with misalignment that is on the market. I seen a BIBLE that appeared to have a red DMD and was perfectly aligned (like an orange DMD). If they made a BLUE pefect alignment, it'd be over the $400 mark for sure

I beleive the one in the video above was one of the prototypes, misalignment has been addressed as far as iam aware.

#12 7 years ago

You can easily do red with a translucent film, no need for a custom dmd. This won't work for blue as there is not enough blue light in the orange dmd. I haven't tried it yet, but the Color DMD for AFM has a setting where you can cycle it through all the colors of the rainbow for use in any pin.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

You can easily do red with a translucent film, no need for a custom dmd. This won't work for blue as there is not enough blue light in the orange dmd. I haven't tried it yet, but the Color DMD for AFM has a setting where you can cycle it through all the colors of the rainbow for use in any pin.

Yep I can confirm that's true and a very nice bonus but it's a pretty pricey way of getting a coloured DMD, specially here in UK I think colour DMD is almost twice the price of one of these blue led dmds which are rumoured to be coming in a multitude of colours down the line.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I'm hearing $299. More info should be out soon, or contact them directly.

Confirmed $325. out in a month.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Confirmed $325. out in a month.

I guess this is one Mod that I will be skipping - The current DMD looks fine to me.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I guess this is one Mod that I will be skipping - The current DMD looks fine to me.

I have to say I have mixed feeling about this type of LED display. When I first saw one in AC/DC I really liked it. It seemed a bit brighter and sharper than a standard DMD. I was actually wondering what it would take to put one in my Black Spider-Man.

Since then I have seen other AC/DC machines and also various videos and pictures where the seperate squares on the screen are very visable and distracting. Some squares are even dimmer and really mismatched to the rest of the display.

It has me a bit worried about what my X-Men display will look like.

#17 7 years ago

It's weird you guys say that about the stern ones as here in the UK and Europe we have had these led dmds for quite a few years and apart from the first led dmds from pinled that came installee in POTC and suffered from misalignment and unequal brightness, the ones following those up to current games have been nothing less than perfect, maybe I've just been lucky but all my led dmds on spidey, BDK, IM, tron have been great, super bright, clear and perfectly aligned.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I have to say I have mixed feeling about this type of LED display. When I first saw one in AC/DC I really liked it. It seemed a bit brighter and sharper than a standard DMD. I was actually wondering what it would take to put one in my Black Spider-Man.
Since then I have seen other AC/DC machines and also various videos and pictures where the seperate squares on the screen are very visable and distracting. Some squares are even dimmer and really mismatched to the rest of the display.
It has me a bit worried about what my X-Men display will look like.

Plasma DMD displays are being phased out and discontinued. Vishay and Dale will no longer be making them very soon.

It's LED from here on out.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Plasma DMD displays are being phased out and discontinued. Vishay and Dale will no longer be making them very soon.
It's LED from here on out.

Do the LED DMD's come in orange to retro fit into older games for those that like the original look? Just wondering for the future. Sorry for the OT.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Do the LED DMD's come in orange to retro fit into older games for those that like the original look? Just wondering for the future. Sorry for the OT.

Yes, at present from pinled and very very shortly from other vendors red, orange and blue led dmds will be available, I have heard that other runs maybe made down the line, green & purple I have heard maybe a reality.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Yes, at present from pinled and very very shortly from other vendors red, orange and blue led dmds will be available, I have heard that other runs maybe made down the line, green & purple I have heard maybe a reality.

Purple would be cool for MB and green for AFM, but when the Color DMD is only 75 bux more, that may be the better option. Lots of cool stuff.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Purple would be cool for MB and green for AFM, but when the Color DMD is only 75 bux more, that may be the better option. Lots of cool stuff.

Yeah the colour DMD is fantastic, I saw one installed in an AFM at a show a couple months ago and it looked awesome. Only downside to colour DMD is how long it will take to get support for multiple games, I'm sure these single colour led dmds can be produced much quicker than colour dmds for individual games. And alot of us pinheads seem to struggle being patient, myself included

#23 7 years ago

I generally dislike stuff like this, but I gotta admit - that blue Tron looks great. Blue Demo Man might also look pretty nifty.

#24 7 years ago

I really like the blue DMD (for TRON) but $300+ is a little steep IMO...

#25 7 years ago

If you paid 7000+ when you bought it, whats another $300. Come on now.

#26 7 years ago

$300 to change a display that already works just for color? Sorry, maybe when it dies out but before - meh. $300 in my pocket towards another pin. Color match bling not my thing.

#27 7 years ago

I'd be in for $300. But not for $550 or wherever 399 euros translates to.

#28 7 years ago

Looks cool, but way too expensive.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Blue Demo Man might also look pretty nifty.

I was thinking the same thing - since mine is LED with a nice blue glow But at 1/4 of the price I paid for the game, I don't know...

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

I was thinking the same thing - since mine is LED with a nice blue glow [] But at 1/4 of the price I paid for the game, I don't know...

Yeah, this is probably something that I will only do when I have a DMD go bad.

1 month later
#31 7 years ago

Thought I might chime in...

I will be making the official product announcement in a few days, but you all raised some great points. I will confirm the blue display shown above was a pre-production unit. The actual first articles look great though.

Blue as a color in LEDs is significantly more expensive, so sorry about the pricing. The other colors will not be as much.

Yes, I do have a plasma orange color. I also have a standard orange color. The manufacture of color leds is challenging though. We are doing our best to make sure that all of the blocks going on the display come from the same lot to get a uniform appearance.

They all are plug and play, no special harnesses or firmware needed.

#32 7 years ago

Any chance of making a Sega 192x64 display in LED?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Any chance of making a Sega 192x64 display in LED?

Ditto, great question. This could save a bunch of money (hopefully) for those game owners.

#34 7 years ago

I have a prelim design, but it would require a custom LED block. No vendor currently manufactures a LED dot matrix device with that pixel spacing. It would require custom tooling to make it happen. Not against doing it, but the ROI has to be there.

2 months later
#35 7 years ago

I installed the Blue DMD this morning. The kit comes with a vinyl cover, which I installed. I'm not sure I like the look of it though since it's not perfectly flat and therefore has uneven reflections, but I'm also concerned about how bright the LEDs would be otherwise. Has anyone installed it both ways? Which one did you prefer?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

I installed the Blue DMD this morning. The kit comes with a vinyl cover, which I installed. I'm not sure I like the look of it though since it's not perfectly flat and therefore has uneven reflections, but I'm also concerned about how bright the LEDs would be otherwise. Has anyone installed it both ways? Which one did you prefer?

I have it without the vinyl cover and think it looks great.

#37 7 years ago

I have a Blue in my ST—TNG "without" the Gel and it looks fantastic!

Stu

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

I didn't like the vinyl cover either. Replace your clear DMD plexi with a blue one from Pinbits...it looks awesome this way.

#39 7 years ago

Oh, I didn't know about the blue plexi. Great suggestion for replacing the cheap vinyl!

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

Oh, I didn't know about the blue plexi. Great suggestion for replacing the cheap vinyl!

There are pics of it in this thread:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xpin-needs-your-help

#41 7 years ago

go without the vinyl cover, I light the brightness of the blue so I tossed mine...

p

#42 7 years ago

Ordered it today, but it won't come until next week. However, since I have to fix the stubborn scoop ball detector again_, I'm going to remove the vinyl cover while I'm at it. Thanks everyone for your input!

#43 7 years ago

Wow, that's a huge improvement. Looks great!

4 weeks later
#44 6 years ago

This is very cool, has anyone installed on in a STTNG? Photos?

#45 6 years ago

BTW, the plexi is a must have with the blue DMD. It looks very good now!

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

This is very cool, has anyone installed on in a STTNG? Photos?

It look great in sttng. I'll try to snap pics tonight

#48 6 years ago

ST-TNG with Blue DMD is in the XPin Gallery:
http://www.xpinpinball.com/gallery

Stu

#49 6 years ago

OMG! That looks amazing on the TOTAN.

#50 6 years ago

What is the deal with the dots being unevenly spaced? It looks like about every 20 dots there is a larger gap???

http://xpinpinball.com/uploads/original/AA.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
Machine - For Sale
Sinking Spring, PA
$ 209.99
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside