You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
001.jpg
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'd take TRON LE over TZ any day.

We all know you are Tron guy so this is no surprise

#52 11 years ago

Tron is really really good. I still think AFM has an edge on it - (in my collection). My only minor complaint is having to set up shots with others like GEM that slightly slows down how I think about shots.

#53 11 years ago

Derek didnt you sell your LE before even opening the box?

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Don"t bring that up, Ouch!!!!!

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Me to.....and twice on Sunday.

#56 11 years ago

The kinetics of TRON outclass all other 'flow' style games, in my opinion. The combos are super satisfying. Quorra -> Light Cycle Right Ramp -> Outer Loop -> GEM is incredible.

Some complain about the GEM shot. It's an impossible shot on purpose, though. You need a little separation between sidewall and flipper; or a little luck. That's what makes that shot so satisfying.

X-Men has a large shot variety but they don't feed nearly as well off of each other. The kinetics on that game are just 'off'. I think it might be because the geometry of the game was altered at some point to allow the Wolverine/spinning disk items in there. Not that it can't be a good game (not for me), but it is essentially a similar layout with side flippers, 3/2 lane combo, etc, but without the flow.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I did play an LE once at TOMGWI's, but that was long ago......for the record Ive never been a hater of Tron of any version, but cmon, better than TZ?

TZ had 458 plays at the MGC
Tron had 1021 plays at the MGC

Tron wins

Pappy

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

Holy moly! I never heard about that.. He had a NIB Tron LE and sold it before even opening it? for real, for real?

I agree though for me Tron is either all I play or i dont play it at all, def a love/hate thang.
I need to get a external sub for it! One thing for sure its not going anywhere anytime soon!

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

I need to get a external sub for it! One thing for sure its not going anywhere anytime soon!

I've had the game for 2 days now and I had to order this guy already. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_1

I just know this game is gonna rock so much more with some booming bass, especially when the multiball starts. There is that low bass tone....needs to be louder!

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

for the record Ive never been a hater of Tron of any version, but cmon, better than AC/DC?

There I fixed it

#61 11 years ago

Tough call about what is the best. Tron is good, but not my favorite. I let my LE go after only having it a few months. I don't have any criticisms for it. I think it's abut personal taste of theme and music. I have to base reviews based on games I have owned

SM, STTNG, TZ, Apollo 13, MM, ACDC Prem, NBA, Tron LE

My favorite game for call outs is Spider-Man.

My favorite theme is Sci-Fi so my favorite theme game is STTNG.

MM is great, ACDC is great, TZ is great.

If I had to go done to two games, it would be TZ and Something. Probably Spider-Man or MM. Tough call for sure.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

I did, but that was only to help my wife and I get our new house and help save our marriage ; I would do it all over again too if I had too; now I should have listened to my buddy Jason though when I had a shot at another le NIB but I didn't ohh well.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Tough call about what is the best. Tron is good, but not my favorite. I let my LE go after only having it a few months. I don't have any criticisms for it. I think it's abut personal taste of theme and music. I have to base reviews based on games I have owned
SM, STTNG, TZ, Apollo 13, MM, ACDC Prem, NBA, TRON LE
My favorite game for call outs is Spider-Man.
My favorite theme is Sci-Fi so my favorite theme game is STTNG.
MM is great, ACDC is great, TZ is great.
If I had to go done to two games, it would be TZ and Something. Probably Spider-Man or MM. Tough call for sure.

See I love spidey but the long ball times on that game kill it for me

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I said it; the game just has that wow factor to it and two of the coolest shots ever
Gem and Quarra

Quorra is one of the reasons Tron is clunky. It's not lined up right and feels like ass. A smooth shot on that game is actually the top ramp. That's probably the best feeling shot in the whole game. Everything else is Meh. There are about 7 other new Sterns i'd rather have than this one.

#65 11 years ago

Quorra= smooth shot
both ramps = smooth shots
both orbits= smooth shots
Gem= very tough shot does not make it bad

#66 11 years ago

tron pro has been getting the most play at my place recently. its a great pin! one thing that bugs me is I think the surface of the identity disk wears off on the ball because theres nasty black marks on my new balls and it transfers to the playfield which gets all scuffed up pretty easily, but I don't mind cleaning it more often too much yet...

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

The kinetics of TRON outclass all other 'flow' style games, in my opinion. The combos are super satisfying. Quorra -> Light Cycle Right Ramp -> Outer Loop -> GEM is incredible.

Whoa. Wait. Are you telling me you can successfully hit the Gem shot from a screaming right orbit?! I haven't even done that once the entire time I have owned the pin. I'd like to seem some video of that

#68 11 years ago

I'm guessing you haven't played too many other pinball machines.

#69 11 years ago

My Tron LE will leave when I leave (to the grave)

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

As an LE owner and huge fan of Tron, allow me to say it ain't good enough to drop three games and an organ for. No matter how cool one game is three will normally beat it out in my book if you have room.

I agree 100%. When I was still building my collection, I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a single game, Tron or otherwise. It wasn't until I ran out of space that I finally decided to grab one.

Quoted from pinballwizardz:

Its Tommy (Data East) with a few playfield changes... It does look cool but it loses to me because its nothing new or original. Its is fun to play still.

I own both, and they don't feel alike in any way shape or form. They are both great games, though!

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Whoa. Wait. Are you telling me you can successfully hit the Gem shot from a screaming right orbit?! I haven't even done that once the entire time I have owned the pin. I'd like to seem some video of that

+1 thats some combo!!!

#72 11 years ago

I wasnt much fan of Tron but all the chatter made me take another look. It looks like its a fast game and simple. The theme and sound is more mellow compared to some. Lets be honest top 10 or not some pins sound like a banshee on meth.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from sb80:

I wasn't much fan of Tron but all the chatter made me take another look.

Like Zuse, he's "heard the chatter"!

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Like Zuse, he's "heard the chatter"!

Should also say I havent seen the movie either, or avengers for that matter.

#75 11 years ago

I must say, I'm enjoying my Tron more than any game I've ever added to my collection (NOTE: ACDC has yet to arrive ). In fact, I went home at lunch just to sneak in a few games. I love playing it, hearing it, modding it, and simply looking at it.

It's just awesome!

#76 11 years ago

I think Tron is probably the best all-around game I've played in the last 5-7 years.
It looks open and simplistic, but it is a game that you have to tame and it has a deceptive difficulty to it. Rules are tight and make sense, audio and callouts are fantastic. Highly immersive and addictive. All the makings of a great pin!

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

^^Pinballcorpse, you're the man when it comes to well thought-out reviews, rules, and shot comparisons. However, I find the right orbit much harder to shoot than Gem (I've had Tron for almost a year). Moreover, on a few occasions, I've had Gem lit solid before anything else, including Flynn.
I think the Quorra/Gem combo shot is difficult to master but very satisfying once you get the hang of it. I believe that's one of the reasons Tron is a good home game.

Different games play different ways for people. I am certainly not implying the Gem shot cannot be made. I and many others have been to Portal enough times to know it can But it does not change my opinion of it.

If the TRON geometry is actually studied (ie closely examine and measure the clearances with the bridge up/down and then examine the shot vector from the flipper) it is apparent it is simply not a well-designed shot. (Liking something and objectively looking at something are 2 different things)

I see the Gem shot NOT being made consistently by many, many skilled players. Look at all of the tricks people use to make it and hearing people talking about nudging the ball off the left guide lane, bank shots, luck etc. Those descriptions already hint at the idea that it is not well designed.

The vectors and dynamics explain why the geometry of Gem is flawed with respect to the game. In fact, take opinion out of the equation. The best proof that the Gem geometry vs. dynamics are not in sync in TRON is to examine the audits of Siren, Grid, Ricochet, End of Line.

Siren: Quorra to Gem

Grid: L ramp to Quorra to R ramp to R orbit to Gem

Ricochet: Quorra to R Ramp to R Orbit to Gem

End of Line: R orbit to Gem

I don't have access to the game anymore so I can't check my audits. Wish I did, it would tell the story.

All of those combos involve a last shot of Gem. Siren will probably be the highest of those Gem related audits. The remaining involve a right orbit to Gem. It is bad enough making a slow roller out of Quorra to Gem, let alone a fast moving ball from the orbit. Can the other Gem related non-Siren combos be done? YES. I doubt it is consistent though.

I can enjoy the pin, but the Gem shot will always be seriously flawed to me.

#78 11 years ago

HOLY FUCK! Why did I decide to stop back on the forums and click on this thread only to find out Derek is the OP.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Quorra is one of the reasons Tron is clunky.

Never heard this one before. Tron clunky? LOL I'll chalk that one up as you just trying to be contrary.

Pappy

#80 11 years ago

P/C - Once again, a well-thought and fact based response, and your points are valid. You should write a book or something.

#81 11 years ago

Judge dredd is better.

#82 11 years ago

SM is the best but I do like Tron. Tron has "flow" and that counts, I have to own one first to say anything factual. And its actually AFFORDABLE, the pro.

#83 11 years ago

Tron is Great,SM is the best ever!

#84 11 years ago

Tron vs XM LE shots, shots are tighter or harder for me on XM LE.

The main ramp on Tron is easier to hit and feeds back to the right flipper, on XM Ice ramp feeds to the wrong flipper.

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Tron is really really good. I still think AFM has an edge on it - (in my collection). My only minor complaint is having to set up shots with others like GEM that slightly slows down how I think about shots.

Same here, though Tron is fun as hell. Its not an owner machine for me though, once I beat the game I felt I had done all I wanted to do with it. Might be a good keeper for a 2 player game though, since ball times can be really low on most games. Tron is also great because you have the option of points farming or progression. Fun to watch it played in tourneys as each player seems to have their own method for competing.

On the GEM shot the best way to hit that is with the right flipper bouncing off the TRON targets, dont bother with the upper flipper, better to use that to hit the ramp and get end of line.

#86 11 years ago

Tron is Great, SM is great, AC/DC is the best ever!

#87 11 years ago

I tried to like Tron but it's just not for me. People talked and talked about the Tf software 'roadblock' for me Gem is the tron hardware equivalent. If the Gem shot was easier, the rules would be far too simple. It's a shame because I like the flow, the multiballs and the look of the game.

#88 11 years ago

It is really really good. One of my new favorite games. It is not going anywhere soon.

#89 11 years ago

Tron would have been infinitely better with Robocop's death defying leap of faith jump shot. Had they stuck that on the inner ramp leaping behind the recogniser... would be cranking it to 11, but no, they kept it at a tame 9...

#90 11 years ago

If I had 11K to blow on pins I'd pickup up AC/DC Premium and Tron.

#91 11 years ago

Best Stern.Decked out..... probably

#92 11 years ago

I've had a Tron in my arcade for a few weeks now, temp trade for LOTR. My favorite things about it are the Quorra and Gem shot and the spinning disk (the way the ball exits), and of course the awesome audio. I wouldn't sell IM or LOTR to get a Tron, but it's definitely in my top 5 Sterns.

It looks like the artist ran out of time when he got to the back of the playfield. What's up with that? It almost looks like a whitewood.

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

If the Gem shot was easier, the rules would be far too simple. It's a shame because I like the flow, the multiballs and the look of the game.

That shot isn't as bad as you think. Once you figure out you can hit that shot by bouncing the TRON targets with the right flipper, its easy. Ok, not easy, but a lot easier and more controlled. Practice that shot.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You Tron guys and your toys image.jpgimage.jpg

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

You Tron guys and your toys

I remember the day that picture was taken. Good times!

#96 11 years ago

Has the OP played anything else?

Oh well, you know what they say, opinions are like . . .

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

HOLY FUCK! Why did I decide to stop back on the forums and click on this thread only to find out Derek is the OP.

lol RIGHT two weeks ago it was avengers. Two months before that Xmen i can go on all the way back to ij4 if you like lol.

#98 11 years ago

Guys come on I still have HULK LE it is truly a great game but so is tron
ps for anyone that cares that is 4 full months for hulk le

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Never heard this one before. Tron clunky? LOL I'll chalk that one up as you just trying to be contrary.
Pappy

Angles and stuff seem to be about 1/8" off all around. Except the top shot, that's nice and smooth. Even smoother than the upper loop in GNR which seems designed slightly off. Some games are just smoother than others. LOTR has some not so smooth shots as well. That right side orbit isn't the smoothest with it's transition around the back, and that stop post misses half of the time. Out of all the new sterns. T3 has to be the smoothest feeling. Every shot is like butter.

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Actually this is the 3rd tron that Derek owned. The second one lasted about a week.

Hobbs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-best-game-ever/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.