New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 89188)

Tron arcade mod screen fail?

By kvan99

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by LOTR_breath
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I just noticed my Tron arcade mod screen is dark, (it's about 2 years old) I guess it burned out. Anyone else have this issue?

#2 6 years ago

I had this issue and after checking under the PF found 1 of the 2 wires going to it broke off.
I uninstalled the game took it partially apart and reconnected the wires. Working great ever since.

V2.**

#3 6 years ago

Looks like I have the same issue...I took it off and messed with the wires and it came on. I happen to find the LCD screen on Mouser for $30 ( PN: 4D Systems uLCD-144-G2) in case anyone needs to actually change it.

#4 6 years ago

glad it fixed up.

very common with the hits & vibration.

#5 6 years ago

I have the same problem with mine. I took it apart once and reattached the connector but it has started up again. The connector had hot glue applied to keep it attached to the LCD but not a great design. I think I am going to have to solder the wires the LCD pins. The connector loosens up too easily. I have taken it off the game again but not looking forward to taking it apart again and getting it back together.

#7 6 years ago

^^ SPAM ^^

don't click link.

#8 6 years ago

Vibration pulls the connector apart even just slightly and the monitor shuts off. I reconnected the wires and that's worked for awhile, then comes loose again. A little hot glue on the connection and problem was solved.

1 week later
#9 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Looks like I have the same issue...I took it off and messed with the wires and it came on. I happen to find the LCD screen on Mouser for $30 ( PN: 4D Systems uLCD-144-G2) in case anyone needs to actually change it.

Just be aware this is an LCD screen, not an OLED screen that is in Jeremy's V2 and our V2.1 and V3.1. The LCD screen you have was only used in Jeremy's V1.0. The new OLED screens are brighter. The correct screen replacement part is Mouser part number is $53.23 (971-UOLED-128-G2) unless you have Jeremy's V1.0 then the LCD part number is the correct one ( But the new LCD has very different mounting ) or sparkfun has OLED one $49.95 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11676

Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Vibration pulls the connector apart even just slightly and the monitor shuts off. I reconnected the wires and that's worked for awhile, then comes loose again. A little hot glue on the connection and problem was solved.

All of our cabs (V2.1 and V3.1) have the screen connector glued so that vibration from the machine does not cause it to loosen. When you redo your cab you might want to try gluing the connector.

#10 6 years ago

My mini arcade 2.0 shuts off every time the ball lands in the scoop and then reboots up. I have yet to try and fix it, I just think about why I payed almost 300 bucks for that mod? Its one of the coolest mods ever but still 300 and a bunch of people are having issues. I like the 3.1 due to the brightness and no screws on the cabinet although not enough difference for me to buy another.

#11 6 years ago

Mine went blank too, but pinballlooking is very responsive and eager to help me get it going again, just have to find the time to mess with it.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

Just be aware this is an LCD screen, not an OLED screen that is in Jeremy's V2 and our V2.1 and V3.1. The LCD screen you have was only used in Jeremy's V1.0 and requires backlighting. The new OLED screens do not require backlighting. The correct screen replacement part is Mouser part number is $53.23 (971-UOLED-128-G2) unless you have Jeremy's V1.0 then the LCD part number is the correct one.

The LCD version has a built-in backlight, although it is true that the LCD isn't as bright as the OLED version, it does work fine (in fact the colors are more accurate because that's what the code was tested on.)

If anybody ever did need to replace their screen both versions are also available at Sparkfun, and the code is on my site.

7 months later
#13 5 years ago

I'm having the same problem with mine, V.2.1 I think. It will usually come on after playing for a while. I thought it was having some type of boot-up problem. However, I tried turning on the pin the other day and just let it sit without playing it and the Tron cabinet screen never came on. Then started a game and after some vibration from playing the screen came on, so it must be the loose connector mentioned in this thread. Any tips to taking this thing apart? I would hate to ruin an expensive mod.

#14 5 years ago

pm sent

#15 5 years ago

Thanks! I will check the connectors you mentioned.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mount Airy, MD
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside