Tron 3rd run impressions

By PersonX99

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I finally received my NIB Tron. No complaints.
I noticed the audio is VERY different from my Avatar and XMen. Xmen came with flipper fidelity speakers installed and Avaitar has stock speakers.
Tron backbox speakers sound a bit distorted, and the lower frequencies seems to be a bit on the weak side.
I am going to assume this is simply because I am comparing it to the FF sound and that there really is not anything wrong. There are a lot of factors that influence the sound and I have only played Tron at an arcade and the aucostics are obviously different in that environment.

Is there any kind of filtering with the stock speakers on Stern machines?

Has anyone upgrades the speakers in Tron, and if so, did it make a significant difference in the overall sound?

As for speaker upgrades, how does pinball pro compare to flipper fidelity?

Thanks for any info/feedback.

#2 11 years ago

PP FF same design so take yuor pic. Sterns speaker quality varies. They order a 1000 of this and a 1000 of that. Its usually not the same. Normally I would say screw the backbox upgrade and just get the sub. Tron is very music orientated. Get the whole kit.

#3 11 years ago

I searched the forums a bit more and found a number of PP vs FF threads. A lot of opinion on which is better but little data on why one is better than the other. Like you states AkumaZeto, they are probably very similar.

#4 11 years ago

I put the full kit in my LE, clarity of the speech and the backbox speakers in general is very good.

#5 11 years ago

someone knows if the 3rd run have the led on playfield or it's just the normal bulb ??
do you recommand to order the cointaker full led kit ??

#6 11 years ago

I believe since AC/DC stern has switched to the new speaker set up with the capacitor attached basically making most of the sound come from the cabinet speaker. My last TF LE was like that too. Along with X-men, Avengers. I personally do not like it. You can take the cap off or swap the whole set out to get regular sound from the back box. I prefer that.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I believe since AC/DC stern has switched to the new speaker set up with the capacitor attached basically making most of the sound come from the cabinet speaker. My last TF LE was like that too. Along with X-men, Avengers. I personally do not like it. You can take the cap off or swap the whole set out to get regular sound from the back box. I prefer that.

Sorry to Hijack a bit - but I do it anyway. I purchased a Pinball Pro and went to install it (X-men) and it simply did not plug and play like every other game I had. I looked at your thread, and made my wiring just like Tron. Still using the capacitor and stock back box speakers, I was having a little fun with the sound and turned it all the way up, to adjust the levels to my preference. Next thing, I know I have smoke coming from the left side of the speakers, not sure if the capacitor fried or part of the volume nob. Turned it off, and reduced sound. Nothing seems wrong but worried about what the cause was. Also when removing the cap do you have to rewire the speakers, or simply cut off the cap? Thanks

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Sorry to Hijack a bit - but I do it anyway. I purchased a Pinball Pro and went to install it (X-men) and it simply did not plug and play like every other game I had. I looked at your thread, and made my wiring just like Tron. Still using the capacitor and stock back box speakers, I was having a little fun with the sound and turned it all the way up, to adjust the levels to my preference. Next thing, I know I have smoke coming from the left side of the speakers, not sure if the capacitor fried or part of the volume nob. Turned it off, and reduced sound. Nothing seems wrong but worried about what the cause was. Also when removing the cap do you have to rewire the speakers, or simply cut off the cap? Thanks

Uh Oh you let the smoke out.. thats never good

#9 11 years ago

I added the smoke recapture kit from Pinball life and my games plays much better now.

#10 11 years ago

Pinball Pro are superior in my eyes as I have had both, both are good tho. I know PP had the speakers made specifically to work in pinball machines, my two games that were upgraded with PP sound pretty damn awesome..

#11 11 years ago

I might have talked the wife into letting me buy a Tron finally. We're going to go play one this weekend to get the final say (she's into this hobby too) but loves our RCT (and I know how you all feel about that pin) wondering where you guys ordered from and price...if you don't mind sending me a PM etc.

Mine as well get the field work rollin' in case she loves it... got to work out a few kinks on funding as well.

#12 11 years ago

I have a full Flipper Fidelity kit in my Tron LE. Love it! It thumps so hard that I actually had to run tape along the sides of my PF Glass because it was rattling so bad

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I have a full Flipper Fidelity kit in my TRON LE. Love it! It thumps so hard that I actually had to run tape along the sides of my PF Glass because it was rattling so bad

Yeah, def needs anti-rattle tape. The Flynn lane makes the bassiest bass in all of pinball!!!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I have a full Flipper Fidelity kit in my TRON LE. Love it! It thumps so hard that I actually had to run tape along the sides of my PF Glass because it was rattling so bad

Too much bass is not enough bass

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from tomaszb1:

I might have talked the wife into letting me buy a Tron finally. We're going to go play one this weekend to get the final say (she's into this hobby too) but loves our RCT (and I know how you all feel about that pin) wondering where you guys ordered from and price...if you don't mind sending me a PM etc.
Mine as well get the field work rollin' in case she loves it... got to work out a few kinks on funding as well.

you better hurry the hell up if they arnt all gone they will be in 5 min
http://www.gameexchange.biz/

#16 11 years ago

It's simple to bypass the cap. Simply desolder wires from one side and resolder them to the other side.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

It's simple to bypass the cap. Simply desolder wires from one side and resolder them to the other side.

Thanks - did this and was able to finally control the sound levels. Looks like the cap on x-men could not take the max and was responsible for the smoke, as it no longer is reading good.

#18 11 years ago

Got the FF full kit on my Tron pro. Gave the machine an instant heartbeat. Long singular bass lines like the start of LCMB and the new disc battle restart are very cool with new speakers.

I did notice however that because of the crappy audio sampling rate that comes from the machine, the FF kit will enhance some of the crackly background noise if you turn it right up.The volume control helps you to drown this out somewhat, but dont be expecting amazing audio quality from just a change of speakers.

I really like the FF kit, and after some tweaking will certainly put a smile on your face.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Agreed. I have the FF kit in my pro and it freakin rocks!! Big difference in my opinion, I could not imagine the game w/out it now. I took my tron to a new year pinball party and I had to turn the sound way down as you could not even hear the other pins.

The shaker and the FF kit (or PP kit, I have heard great things about these also) upgrade are a must for tron.

#20 11 years ago

I just installed a FF kit. WOW!
FF+s.
-Great packaging.
-Instructions easy to follow to the point you don't really need them.
-Cabling/connections: EXCELLENT
-Shipping...FAST
-Sound: Pure audible goodness.
-Would I recommend: oh yes. do it. do it now. Even if you can't hear, you WILL feel it.

#21 11 years ago

I concur. I tried a pinball pro kit once and hated it; sounded worst then my factory system. Granted that was awhile ago, but man FLIPPER FIDELITY sounds killer and everyone that comes over notices and are always leaving wanting kits for their games

#22 11 years ago

#23 11 years ago

I just added my FF speakers to my Tron Pro tonight...great move. I was a little bit skeptical of the hype, but the performance is a huge upgrade. 100% satisfied, no regrets.

#24 11 years ago

I concur Flipper Fidelity speakers rock
my wifey is helping me set up my game tonight

#25 11 years ago

I just ordered the FF kit and shaker for my TRON. Can't wait to install them both!

#26 11 years ago

Ha I got a shaker from FF too
sound systems =FF
leds=cointaker

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Ha I got a shaker from FF too
sound systems =FF
leds=cointaker

Good Move you will love the shaker in this game.

#28 11 years ago

I just ordered the upgraded speakers with blue led lights pre-installed to make the speaker grills light up blue and a shaker motor. Tron is gonna rock !!

#29 11 years ago

my NIB should arrive tomorrow sometime. got full set of cliffys on the way as well as the pinbits dress kit for plastics + bumpers. will probably do the sound system next once things settle down a bit!

#30 11 years ago

aargh. I take day off work to get delivery.

dispatcher: "will be around lunchtime".
me: sweeet.
trucker at 12pm: "I'll be there at 7pm"
me: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

someone needs to hurry up and develop transporter technology dammit

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

aargh. I take day off work to get delivery.
dispatcher: "will be around lunchtime".
me: sweeet.
trucker at 12pm: "I'll be there at 7pm"
me: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
someone needs to hurry up and develop transporter technology dammit

Your patients will be rewarded shortly.....congrats on the NIB....enjoy!

#32 11 years ago

dunno.. I cant do much but look until the cliffy's arrive and the pinbits! wife will have a coniption fit if I say I damaged something on the kids inheritance!! lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-3rd-run-impressions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.