Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by ArcadeBar
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0992 (resized).jpg
tron-mod.JPG
finished.JPG
installed.JPG
cointaker.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Need a Cointaker Flex (Red) 44/47 base
Wire 26AWG
Heat Shrink tube

Tools
Solder stuff
Drill 1/8 bit

quite simple yank it all apart, including the Cointaker go slow, they arnt meant to come apart.
-take apart the recognizer toy (two screws on the top)
-plop the LED into the little holes (you can see the little holes in the picture)
-assemble it all backup
-make it not short out
-heat shrink it nice, zip tie if you like
-drill a hole behind the existing recognizer mount hole (yes in the plastic)
-route the wire down the gap in the Opto and Opto holder
-connect it to the pre-existing insert for the recognizer (mind the diode hook it up correct)

cointaker.JPG installed.JPG finished.JPG

#2 6 years ago

Cool.

#3 6 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the instructions. I keep thinking about doing this, and you just got me jump started. When the ball hits the recognizer wall, does the recognizer blink, or is it more like a fading light bulb?

I think I need to add a capacitor for the slow fade effect.

#4 6 years ago

If like to see a finished shot please with it lit up.

#6 6 years ago

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

But I think there's a problem with the cointaker website, I can't seem to checkout with only $3 in my cart... I'm not pointing any fingers mind you, but somehow my cart seems to have a whole lot more than just that one bulb in it once I go checkout and pay.

Reminds me of Walmart

Can't wait to put this in and play with a few other bulbs when they arrive!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

-make it not short out

This is my favorite instruction, lol!

Also, post some pics of it lit up!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

This is my favorite instruction, lol!
Also, post some pics of it lit up!

Agreed. I think that's an instruction missing from a lot of mods.

- Make it not short out.
- Make it not start fires.

#9 6 years ago

its just red, but here is a photo
I personally went this route as I don't like light bleeding all over, directed red downfire. Neat and clean. Not distracting just a "nice touch"
tron-mod.JPG

#10 6 years ago

Received my LED's today, and taking things apart to put this in now. Thanks again for the list...

#11 6 years ago

Spudgunman.....how much do you want to make me one of these? That way, I don't have to be all McGyver.

#12 6 years ago

I think I am going to do this very thing but with a larger aftermarket recognizer.

Good post.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I think I am going to do this very thing but with a larger aftermarket recognizer.
Good post.

What? I don't remember seeing anything BUT the die-cast spinmaster one, and the huge friggin carrying case one. Unless you have some kind of vintage tron 1 toy or something..

#15 6 years ago

Verified that the cointaker LED has polarity, but it's easy to check when wiring it up.

I wired it to the recognizer light right in front of the drop down, but think I may wire it up to the recognizer image further down as that seems to make more sense. Then it flashes and stays lit based on the mode instead of the drop down target.

#16 6 years ago

Great looking mod, I d love to own an le version.

#17 6 years ago

I wired mine to come down on the right hand side, about an inch and a half back from the leg as there was a nice big hole that had easy access.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

I wired mine to come down on the right hand side, about an inch and a half back from the leg as there was a nice big hole that had easy access.

yea on each side there is a hole, so this is possible ambidextrious (or put two LED's in there room for it)

Quoted from Don1:

Verified that the cointaker LED has polarity, but it's easy to check when wiring it up.
I wired it to the recognizer light right in front of the drop down, but think I may wire it up to the recognizer image further down as that seems to make more sense. Then it flashes and stays lit based on the mode instead of the drop down target.

yea I messed around with it in either spot, it makes more sense to do the "lower" I ran the power to a .6 molex adapter and from there to the soldered wires on the lamp. this way its easy to move/remove and looks all professional.

Quoted from billycrna:

Spudgunman.....how much do you want to make me one of these? That way, I don't have to be all McGyver.

I am not so much in the business of churning pin-parts out but PM me if interested (if you feel comfortable removing your recognizer toy you will be ample capable of this "mod") I can also detail much more specific steps if you would like.. I just high leveled it to give others the idea generation.

#19 6 years ago

Great work, I played the pro version of this game and added its uk location today. Your cointaker mod would have looked fantastic on this machine..

#20 6 years ago

I installed this mod over the weekend. Took me about 45 minutes with some screw-ups. Tips:

- You don't need to remove the entire plastic to get the Recognizer; just unscrew the legs from the top of the Recognizer with a small Phillips Screwdriver
- CAREFULLY remove the flex light from the plastic base; I bought two just in case, and I'm glad I did
- Orange looks better than red
- Make sure you don't mangle the resistor in the flex light; my first attempt ended with a blazing hot light and some smoke; second attempt was flawless

Thanks to the OP for the idea; saved me $75

7 months later
#21 6 years ago

Just completed this mod. So simple, yet effective. Thanks for the instructions. The only things I would change are:
Use a 555, easier to take apart. Make sure to test the connections to the recognizer bulb that you don't get ghosting/lights turning on. I soldered to the wrong side and got a lot of ghosting and/or bulbs turning on when they weren't supposed to even though the recognizer itself was ok.

#22 6 years ago

I also recommend using a 555 bulb. I ended up using an old "Yellow" cointaker dual SMD LED.
The Yellow is so Orange.. it looks perfect.

I trimmed the sides of the circle LED, folded down the "legs", soldered 30 ga wire on it and took apart the recognizer cockpit, popped out the orange plastic, trimmed the sides of the bottom, then placed the LED in the "groove" and then placed the plastic orange on top of the LED, which helps hold it in place. Ran the wire, used some heat shrink to help hide the thin wires.. then hooked it up to a GI under the playfield.
I will have to find pics of the completed item..

GREAT IDEA Thank you.. totally saved me $75 for something that should have been $10.

5 years later
#23 10 months ago

Hi guys I'm only 5 years late to this thread, but just got my Tron 15 days ago! I've followed this awesome DIY post all the way to connecting the wires to the recognizer wedge insert under the playfield - this is where I could use a little help! From my attached pic of the 555 holder I understand the top hole is where the diode is, then you've got the yellow wire and red running through the holder... So how are you guys connecting the mod light wires to this exactly/safely?
Thanks for any advise! C

IMG_0992 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lynn, MA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside