6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mitch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3346 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3341 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3344 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hi,
    I am intermittently having this problem where at the start of a ball quite often a 2nd ball will pop out into the launcher so you will start with multiball. This sometimes will lead to 1 ball going out of play and ending your turn. It also seems to then have an issue (locating pinballs) at the start of game. I am guessing there is something that is registering incorrectly inside the 4 ball tray. Anybody have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?
    Thanks,
    James

#2 6 years ago

Trough switch or opto. Go into the service menu and clear out the balls and watch the screen as the balls clear out. It may show one ball still in the trough when empty. That will most likely be your issue.

#3 6 years ago

Try reseating the opto connections to the trough boards.

Spray compressed air to ensure clearing the optos (don't spray can upside down).

If it keeps happening, just buy new opto boards an switch them out. $30 fix.

#4 6 years ago

If it’s not the optos check the plunger springs and rubber. On my LOTR I had similar problems, but all the optos checked fine. The small exterior plunger spring was broken by the first coil, causing the plunger rubber tip to stick out too far into the shooter lane. The pin would shoot a ball into the lane, and the protruding plunger tip would cause the ball not to close the mechanical switch. The pin would then think the trough coil had failed to eject a ball, then it would shoot a second ball into the shooter lane.

#5 6 years ago

I would agree with everyone above with clean/check opto's, also the switches. However the scoop top welds sometimes break too, and a ball will eject, bounce back into the trough and then shoot two out. All my stern's of that era broke and I took them to a weld shop to fix. A temp fix is a zip tie.. I should see if I can find a picture to show...

#6 6 years ago

There are pics of my trough and scoop from WPT. Those tack welds break and can help cause this issue. These were repaired by a local weld shop, there was also a guy on the forum offering mail in fix and mail back.

IMG_3344 (resized).JPGIMG_3344 (resized).JPG

IMG_3341 (resized).JPGIMG_3341 (resized).JPG

IMG_3346 (resized).JPGIMG_3346 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

After your replies I checked what I think are the opto boards and both sides had slightly loose connections...I cleaned them up and connected them and early signs are the problem might be fixed or at least significantly working better. Thanks for the education and the advice on things! Hopefully that was the simple solution.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from jhepti:

After your replies I checked what I think are the opto boards and both sides had slightly loose connections...I cleaned them up and connected them and early signs are the problem might be fixed or at least significantly working better. Thanks for the education and the advice on things! Hopefully that was the simple solution.

Awesome! Hope it was just a little dirt on the opto's! Thank you for posting an update

#9 6 years ago

Mine had this problem right out of the box - it's one of the trough optos. I re-flowed the connections and that was that.

#10 6 years ago

Reflow the optos or replace them. Common stern issue.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-2-balls-will-often-pop-out-to-start-each-round-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.