(Topic ID: 232449)

Troll, what word is opposite?

By oldskool1969

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Troll, what word is opposite?”

• Is TROLL used way too much? 6 votes
      30%
    • Are you a "TROLL" 6 votes
      30%
    • Is the word "TROLL" offensive to you. 2 votes
      10%
    • Do you laugh when the word TROLL is directed at you " 5 votes
      25%
    • Is it TROLLING. To follow and input on something you're interested in 1 vote
      5%

(20 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robin05.jpg
    7A7D0460-76AE-4521-A27A-B87980FCD158 (resized).png
    73023836-C421-457A-B841-AEA0D92EB55B.gif
    ee6a7df404b6444df89693cc67bdf0a8 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2400 (resized).PNG
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Is the opposite of a TROLL called a LEACH?
    Serious question as the word TROLL gets thrown around way too much IMO.
    So any suggestions on what you would call followers/ lovers / investors of a certain person / product?

#2 5 years ago

Fanboys

#3 5 years ago

do you mean somebody who has not bought a product, has stated that they will not be buying their next product, has never meet the manufacture, and has no affiliation with the company in any way shape or manner?
    also has several ebay aliases, and whos warehouse cannot be found on a map?

I could post the answer, but I would also like to post on Pinside in 2019, and this individual is not worth getting banned over

#4 5 years ago

I think you seek “internet troll”

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

#5 5 years ago

Depending on context this could also be a synonym.

#6 5 years ago

The opposite of a Troll is someone who contributes usesful information or discussion to a thread. Someone who respects other posters and doesn’t try to waste their time with wasted posts meant to do nothing but detract from the discussion. I’d say LTG is the opposite of a TROLL.

#7 5 years ago

Agreed, sometimes that useful information appears to be an attack. But, some people need to know some necessary information.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

The opposite of a Troll is someone who contributes usesful information or discussion to a thread. Someone who respects other posters and doesn’t try to waste their time with wasted posts meant to do nothing but detract from the discussion. I’d say LTG is the opposite of a TROLL.

I think this is pretty much spot on here. ^^^

#9 5 years ago

Hmm..IDK

IMG_2400 (resized).PNGIMG_2400 (resized).PNG
    #10 5 years ago

spfxted

#11 5 years ago

Yep he is a troll but what is opposite?

#13 5 years ago

Cyber Knight, Internet Fairy....

#14 5 years ago

Fluff boy.

#15 5 years ago

The opposite of a troll is a contributor.

#18 5 years ago
    ee6a7df404b6444df89693cc67bdf0a8 (resized).jpgee6a7df404b6444df89693cc67bdf0a8 (resized).jpg
    #19 5 years ago

I like that on the poll people admitting to being one. I am pending a reasonable definition that I like

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

I like that on the poll people admitting to being one. I am pending a reasonable definition that I like

The term troll has nothing to do with the mythical creatures. It is a fishing term. Riding around in a boat with a line in the water aimed at no particular fish. The Internet troll posts inflammatory things loosely connected to the subject at hand to lure people in to a fight. Just like the boat trolling for a catch, the troll baits the water and waits for his or her victim. Nothing is contributed to the conversation, no one is helped, nothing is learned. Just a senseless argument with the people who take the bait. The troll thus dominates the conversation and gets the attention they otherwise don't get living in their grandmother's basement wearing a robe and slippers with socks on.

#21 5 years ago

But what is the opposite called?

#22 5 years ago

Seems to me like the only way you are going to figure this out is some deep thought, maybe some quiet meditation. I mean, really take the time to get you head clear. Detach from technology. Really align those chakras and maybe then you will find the answer.

It’s 42 by the way.

Trololo

#23 5 years ago

Biased, Stakeholders
    “Fanboys”

Decent people can be thrown into the mix of this opposite troll categorization too. I like to find worth in efforts related to our hobby before i get too pissed. Does wonders for just having a nice relaxing day. I see value in something or I don’t. Brand loyalty has limits.

#24 5 years ago

He often chimes in, but a troll?

#25 5 years ago

Troll is a word only used by people that can’t win arguments.

#26 5 years ago

Troll - goes out of their way to annoy people.
    White Knight - goes out of their way to defend people.

#27 5 years ago

since it comes from a fishing term I think the inverse should also...

how about a "jigger"

#28 5 years ago

A “Non-Troll” ?

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

since it comes from a fishing term I think the inverse should also...
    how about a "jigger"

73023836-C421-457A-B841-AEA0D92EB55B.gif73023836-C421-457A-B841-AEA0D92EB55B.gif
    #31 5 years ago

Mench.

#33 5 years ago

Are you trolling again Rascal?

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Are you trolling again Rascal?

7A7D0460-76AE-4521-A27A-B87980FCD158 (resized).png7A7D0460-76AE-4521-A27A-B87980FCD158 (resized).png
    #35 5 years ago

Motorboating.

#36 5 years ago

Would love an explanation is f this please cause it sounds cool!

#37 5 years ago

The opposite term from Troll is Diver. Someone who dives in with good intentions. Like a trolling fisherman looking for anything that bites, compared to a spear diver looking for specific fish and committed to the task. just MHO.

#38 5 years ago

Would love an explanation is f this please cause it sounds cool!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch

It’s Yiddish, and like all things Yiddish is fairly loosely translated. A Mensch is a really good person - someone who tries to do the right thing always.

#39 5 years ago

I'll ask my mother in law

#40 5 years ago

So any suggestions on what you would call followers/ lovers / investors of a certain person / product?

why not ask robin?

robin05.jpgrobin05.jpg
    #41 5 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

He often chimes in, but a troll?

I was already thinking of this for the troll-opposite term and then saw the root word in this post. Since this is Pinside, the sound of a chime is almost like music to a lot of us, and indicates progress during a game. So how about a "chimer" as the opposite of a troll.

I think LTG and ForceFlow are good examples of "chimers."

#42 5 years ago

Actually, it might be better to shorten it to a "chime" instead of a chimer.

#43 5 years ago

The opposite of Troll is Legit.

#44 5 years ago

If you live in Michigan it is a Yooper.

#45 5 years ago

troll=asshat non troll=asset

#46 5 years ago

A troll to me is a bully. The opposite is a friend.

#47 5 years ago

The opposite of a troll is a selfless contributor - or altruistic behavior. A "team player"

Trolling is doing things purely for baiting responses - typically a disingenuous act whose purpose is only to bait people into something for the amusement or satisfaction of the troll. It's all about them - selfish. So the opposite would be someone who is selfless, and doing something only so others can benefit.

Hence why LTG was mentioned

Shilling or being a fanboi is not the opposite of trolling. Over eager, biased allegiance to something is what a fanboy is. It describes someone's bias in a matter, not their motivation. Trolls can be pro or con to a topic - the point is to lure people into a trap.. not that they are simply 'against' something.

People often confuse contrarian with trolling because being contrarian is an easy tool used by trolls to bait responses. Being happy or pro something is usually a strong emotion.. making it an easy target for a troll to make outlandish counter statements that will invoke emotional responses and defenses from their targets.

#48 5 years ago

Would love an explanation of this please ‘cause it sounds cool!

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

do you mean somebody who has not bought a product, has stated that they will not be buying their next product, has never meet the manufacture, and has no affiliation with the company in any way shape or manner?
    also has several ebay aliases, and whos warehouse cannot be found on a map?
    I could post the answer, but I would also like to post on Pinside in 2019, and this individual is not worth getting banned over

He's been a dedicated banana republican lapdog since the AA days so I don't see why you would expect that behaviour to be any different on pinside.

#50 5 years ago

In Australia we call it this.

There is a fine line

I will support Mikes progress
    I will disagree with his poor communication and lack of commitment to Aussie buyers

Yes it was a big fucking kick in the balls to Aussie buyers

Pity Mike has little regard for his customers.

But yes, the final product is very good

Just destroyed by poor PR

Such a pity really.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troll-what-word-is-opposite?hl=sulakd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.