13 days ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200525_190437 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9359 (resized).jpg
    chime unit (resized).jpg
    EFA34E4F-2BB2-4297-B0AE-8BE1C9BCD201 (resized).jpeg
    3A729F90-E3D7-4F94-88AB-1AA8FAC04823 (resized).jpeg

#1 13 days ago

btw, I don't know the answer.

#2 13 days ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

btw, I don't know the answer.

drop a card was the transition game.. it had a mix of both flash bronze and zinc parts

#3 13 days ago

Thanks, I figured it was sometime around then.

#4 13 days ago

My 1967 King of Diamonds is loaded with it.

#5 13 days ago

So many things in the older games are so much cooler. The bronze parts that shine up and look absolutely spectacular, even though nobody but you generally sees them. The metal jeweled playfield posts. The marbled colored posts. The big playfield lockdown mechanism. Going all the way back even the wood rails are just so much more visually appealing.

I know my Royal Guard which is 1968 still has them. I've restored Drop A Card which still has them. After that I think they made the transition.

I still love the old manual lift ball games too. I'm turning into a Luddite I guess.

#6 12 days ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

The bronze parts that shine up and look absolutely spectacular

Just curious, what’s your go-to method for doing this? I’ve tried a couple of things on small parts but the results were underwhelming. For example I have a bronze back panel on my Flipper Pool that’s got some bad oxidation (I’m guessing—something has given it black splotches) that I’d love to make all shiny.

#7 12 days ago
    Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

Just curious, what’s your go-to method for doing this? I’ve tried a couple of things on small parts but the results were underwhelming. For example I have a bronze back panel on my Flipper Pool that’s got some bad oxidation (I’m guessing—something has given it black splotches) that I’d love to make all shiny.

Brasso.

#8 12 days ago

You need really good ventilation if you use that stuff. I recommend having a small fan blowing from behind. Best yet, do it outside. Main reason I switched to Mothers Mag polish for everything. I still use a fan, but I don’t hear InaGaddaDaVida playing in my head any more.

#9 12 days ago

What's wrong with InaGaddaDaVida?

#10 12 days ago

Went out and got me a bottle o’ Brasso. Hoo boy you’re right Mikala about the aroma. Is it bad if I hear InaGaddaDaVida fade into gentle tones of a strumming harp?

#11 12 days ago

gottlieb used a clear over those flash bronze parts. it takes extra elbow grease to polish through it.
    i soak them is some simple green for a bit then rinse then tumble or polish, much easier and quicker. my .02

#12 12 days ago

Does the "Dimension" you just got have the bronze parts? The chime units in bronze finish are great looking. I've seen games around that era which have a mixture of bronze and zinc parts, obviously using up the last of the bronze plated inventory.

#13 12 days ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Does the "Dimension" you just got have the bronze parts? The chime units in bronze finish are great looking. I've seen games around that era which have a mixture of bronze and zinc parts, obviously using up the last of the bronze plated inventory.

the only 1 recall ever have a mix was drop a card, November, 1971'
    astro was October 1971 and that has all flash bronze
    lawman, October 1971 which i never owned,could had been mixed
    Orbit, December, 1971 was all zinc
    but in 1972 all had zinc

#14 12 days ago

Here’s my Flipper Pool example before and then after 1.5 hours of Brasso and elbow grease. Not perfect (there’s still some rust in there) but a big difference. Thanks for the suggestions and to the OP for bringing this topic up.

3A729F90-E3D7-4F94-88AB-1AA8FAC04823 (resized).jpegEFA34E4F-2BB2-4297-B0AE-8BE1C9BCD201 (resized).jpeg
    #15 11 days ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Does the "Dimension" you just got have the bronze parts?

Does this answer your question?

chime unit (resized).jpg
    #16 11 days ago

Thanks for the suggestions and to the OP for bringing this topic up.

I'm glad that the topic has interest, let's see where it goes....

#17 11 days ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Does this answer your question?[quoted image]

Ooh, nice! I don't think very many games had the bronze chime box.
    "Dimension" is obviously one of them.

#18 11 days ago

polished.....

IMG_9359 (resized).jpg
    #19 8 days ago

Mother's Mag and a lot of work. I'll tumble them sometimes too.

Back doors just don't seem to shine as much. I tried on the Gigi I'm restoring and it just wouldn't get there. I ended up painting it with a metallic antique brass. Not original but better than it was any who really sees back doors anyway?20200525_190437 (resized).jpg

#20 8 days ago

Went out and got me a bottle o’ Brasso. Hoo boy you’re right Mikala about the aroma. Is it bad if I hear InaGaddaDaVida fade into gentle tones of a strumming harp?

Anyone who has been in the military knows the Brasso smell. Strong stuff.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 27.50
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 28.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside