IMG_9953 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9948 (resized).JPG
IMG_9949 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9945 (resized).JPG
IMG_9946 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpaceTimeGuy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I was bored this weekend so I used Triple Thick (TT) to seal a Back Glass. It was my first time doing this. NOTE: MOST (if not all) OF AREAS WHERE THE PAINT IS MISSING WAS DUE TO "Operator Error" (ME) ... NOT THE TT. Please read whole post for more info on how to avoid this !

PICTURES MAY BE in reverse order after they download to website ... Hope not ...

The BG was delaminating along whole bottom edge when I got it ~15 years ago. Since then, it has been hanging in my unheated garage as eye candy. Delaminating had increased from ~1inch to ~4 inches. I did some research on YouTube and read some posts here and other websites. I didn't really see anyone that sprayed under large areas of delamination so I am posting this in case it will help someone.

WHAT DID I DO ??
Gently cleaned the "solid" parts or the BG with damp paper towels. Masked off the clear "windows" with blue painters tape. GENTLY lifted delaminating sections and sprayed TT under it. GENTLY pushed the loose sections down ... let sit for couple minutes and pushed down more trying to remove air bubbles. Sprayed a medium to light coat over the whole BG. Put plastic wrap over the bottom half and tried to squeeze out more air bubbles. Stacked booked and weights on top of lower half of BG. About 6-7 hours later I removed the plastic wrap and tried to "push" more air bubbles out. In a couple spots a made a small cut to let the air or pooled up TT "escape". Put another coat (medium to thick) over whole BG. Let dry 12 hours. TOTAL, I used about 3/4 of a can of TT.

WHAT I LEARNED >>>
I couldn't get the metal strip on bottom of BG off easily > so tapped it with a hammer ... it came off but there were 2 sections of rubberized tape(??) holding the bar on and where that tape was > it tore the loose paint. (See close up photo) This could probably be avoided by cutting along the top edge of metal strip with a very sharp razor knife.

When taping the windows > I would tape a little inside the window so the TT can seal the edge of the paint. I removed tape immediately after applying my 2nd coat and didn't have to cut around tape or have any peeling. IF YOUR PAINT IS LOOSE > DO NOT LET THE TAPE TOUCH THE PAINT AROUND THE WINDOWS OR TAPE WILL PULL THE PAINT !! (See AFTER photo > left side of Player 4 window) This is harder to do than it sounds ... maybe place a piece of paper down next to the window (and over the loose paint)??

The spraying under the delaminating sections actually worked fairly well ... 6 hours may have been too soon to pull the plastic wrap off as I did have one small section of paint that stuck to plastic wrap (I know you are saying "Well, DUH!" ... I'm impatient and on the plus side > it seemed the TT trapped between glass and paint was still wet in some areas so I was able to squeeze out more air bubbles) ... NOTE > The pile of books and weights I stacked on BG didn't really squeeze out the air bubbles (just kept everything relatively flat)

After spraying under the delaminating sections > when "pushing" the paint down into the TT >> make sure the tip of your finger doesn't get sticky or you will pull up chunks of paint. Maybe have a rag with paint thinner on it to clean fingers??

You only get one shot to put the plastic wrap down > it stays right where it lands. I screwed up and didn't get it all the way to the bottom of the BG. Later when I stacked the books on top, I forgot this and the book stuck to the paint and lifted some of it. (see photo) .. don't worry about getting plastic wrap close to edge > just have the plastic wrap overhang a couple inches. I used off brand plastic wrap and seemed great as it didn't want to stick to itself as much as "good" wrap. (i.e. I think it laid flatter and left less wrinkles in the dried TT).

The Triple Thick SMELLS ... and is FLAMMABLE. I did this in my basement (opposite side of basement from my gas furnace) ... fumes did not ignite ... but basement stunk for 10 hours and sure I lost some brain cells due to fumes. Ideally, I would do this in the summer and outside on a day with no wind.

OVERALL > I think it came out very well. The spots (were paint is missing) are my fault > due to above learning curve.

MORAL OF STORY > Yes, it is possible to spray under large sections and re-laminate to Back Glass. Yes > there will be air bubbles. but it should stop further degradation and think it looks better than it was. (and when I hold it up to the light the air bubbles don't really show up) ... Best to do the TT before it gets as bad as mine was. If you have a spare BG > practice on that before doing the one you really want to save.

Hope this helps some of you.

IMG_9944 (resized).JPGIMG_9944 (resized).JPG

IMG_9946 (resized).JPGIMG_9946 (resized).JPG

IMG_9945 (resized).JPGIMG_9945 (resized).JPG

IMG_9947 (resized).JPGIMG_9947 (resized).JPG

IMG_9949 (resized).JPGIMG_9949 (resized).JPG

IMG_9948 (resized).JPGIMG_9948 (resized).JPG

IMG_9950 (resized).JPGIMG_9950 (resized).JPG

IMG_9953 (resized).JPGIMG_9953 (resized).JPG

IMG_9956 (resized).JPGIMG_9956 (resized).JPG

IMG_9955 (resized).JPGIMG_9955 (resized).JPG

IMG_9959 (resized).JPGIMG_9959 (resized).JPG

IMG_9958 (resized).JPGIMG_9958 (resized).JPG

IMG_9957 (resized).JPGIMG_9957 (resized).JPG

IMG_9960 (resized).JPGIMG_9960 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

THANKS !! ForceFlow ... this was a learning experience ... don't think I will ever have another BG that is this bad ... I did read some of your posts before I did this ... surprised the super glue works better ? thot it would dry too fast ? (especially over really large areas like on my BG) ... TT good stuff (bad fumes > I knew that would be case but I was bored) .. have you ever tried the Rustoleum triple thick glaze? I saw that at Home Depot for $4 but figured it was worth the drive to a Michael's store to get the Krylon everyone is using....

#8 6 years ago

Mitch Good idea Mitch .. I also read a post where someone said they cut blocks of wood to size ... the painters tape worked great for me >> except for the one spot it stuck to loose paint and pulled it ! ... LOL

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I haven't, but someone else posted about it and got some strange results with it. I'd say stick with krylon.

good to know ... thought that worth asking in case someone doesn't have a Michael's nearby ...

#12 6 years ago

Grizlyrig THANKS ... figured as long as I was doing it > might as well post in case it helped others ... I just picked up a 70's EM that has very small light cracking in areas by light bulbs ... will have to TT that when weather gets better and can do outside (can't afford to lose any more brain cells from fumes) ... that will be a breeze compared to the Supersonic tho ....

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Walmart carries krylon too.

F#@& ... now you tell me ... LOL

#16 6 years ago

CactusJack > I like that idea ! THANKS for the tip !

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Bottom line is...... it doesnt work very good but this is only option for some!

RIGHT ! This was definitely a learning experience and if I didn't makes some mistakes (sticky fingers, tape stuck to loose paint, book over edge of plastic wrap) it would have come much better >Why I posted it (to help others).

I have heard some people coat all their BG's to preserve them ... not sure if I would go that far ... but I don't leave my couple pins lit up for long periods of time ...

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If there is nothing wrong with a backglass, then there's no need to seal it. It's better to leave it alone if it's intact.

kind of what I was thinking ... but nice to know from someone with lots of experience !

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I second that. I never clear/seal a perfect glass. Absolutely no reason to touch it. And I airbrush touch ups...never use acrylic. That could just be preference, but in my experience acrylic shows inconsistency, just doesn't do the job well and gets blotchy.

Aaaaahh ... OK .. don't think I will bother touching up the Supersonic ... but good to know !!

#25 6 years ago

Kind of off topic but also related >> for Electro Mechanical (older) pins >> use LED's or #47 bulbs behind BG ?? same for solid state pins?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

On something like this it is simply much easier and safer to use patches of mylar, with indistinguishable results. Don't see why that isn't clear to people.

Sorry > I never heard of doing this ... put mylar right over the peeling paint ? how best to get the peeling stuff to lay flat without shattering it while applying? how do you get rid of the air pocket effect? where buy the mylar ? assume one side has an adhesive on it?

#30 6 years ago

LED's > THANKS !! Colsond3 and ForceFlow

#38 6 years ago

barakandl > Nice job ! That is AWESOME artwork on that BG !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpaceTimeGuy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/triple-thick-supersonic-bg-what-i-learned?tu=SpaceTimeGuy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.