• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Triple Strike Extra Ball (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey Everyone,

So, I've been having a recurring issue with my Triple Strike where suddenly it will stop scoring correctly. I'm not sure what is triggering it, but it also seems to resolve itself if I play it enough, almost like something gets knocked back into position or something. When this issue arises it comes with a couple of problems, so they are probably related in some way. First, the 1,000 point reel won't always roll over, so it will look like my score basically drops back to zero. Second, it doesn't appear to give the 10,000 points for the strike bonus when the ball drains. Third, if I end up getting a free ball, it gets stuck in free ball mode endlessly and I will have to just start a new game to get out of it. Those are the main issues i've noticed.

Unrelated, but I also need to make new score cards since my game didn't come with them, and I noticed that they typically have multiple scores on one score card. Is there a reason why there are three different scores? Would you earn a free game for hitting each of the scores listed, or is it just meant to show various possible settings and should I mark the one I have the machine set to?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

When you say "the 1,000 point reel won't always roll over", are you saying that it goes back to zero without incrementing the next higher reel? The most likely candidate for that type of problem would be 9-position switch not working correctly on that reel. Take a look at that switch and compare it to the other (working reels).

What happens with the ball drains? It should score the 1-10 bonus unit (the rollover pins that are currently "down" score 1,000 each) and then it should score the strike bonus unit 0, 2, 4, or 6 times if you have 0, 1, 2, or 3 strikes respectively.

When you trigger an extra ball, the red star lights up, right? What should happen is that after the ball drains and the bonus scores, the extra ball relay should open, the red star will turn off, and the ball will get pushed to the shooter lane. Is the red star still lit when the ball goes to the shooter lane?

I'm not certain about score cards because I've never change that setting and my Triple Strike is set to extra ball mode with extra ball at 85,000.

#3 4 years ago

As @pschwisow mentioned, the 9th position switch on the 1000 point score reel needs to close to get the 10,000 point score reel to fire. The switch is in the first red box below between the white-blue wire and the black-orange wire. The full schematic and manual are available at ipdb.org, BTW.
Triple Strike Extra Ball (resized).jpgTriple Strike Extra Ball (resized).jpg
Once it fires, the Extra Ball relay will hold itself on until both switches in the 2nd red box (the make/break switch on the Outhole relay and the Score Motor switch at 3A) open. Check that those two switches open properly and that their solder tabs aren't touching.

The game can have multiple score levels. You win a free game or extra ball as you pass each award level. This is programmable with jones plugs in the backbox as described in the manual.

/Mark

#4 4 years ago

You can find the score cards here. Zip file. Go down to Triple Strike.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Williams.htm

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from PSchwisow:

When you say "the 1,000 point reel won't always roll over", are you saying that it goes back to zero without incrementing the next higher reel? The most likely candidate for that type of problem would be 9-position switch not working correctly on that reel. Take a look at that switch and compare it to the other (working reels).
What happens with the ball drains? It should score the 1-10 bonus unit (the rollover pins that are currently "down" score 1,000 each) and then it should score the strike bonus unit 0, 2, 4, or 6 times if you have 0, 1, 2, or 3 strikes respectively.
When you trigger an extra ball, the red star lights up, right? What should happen is that after the ball drains and the bonus scores, the extra ball relay should open, the red star will turn off, and the ball will get pushed to the shooter lane. Is the red star still lit when the ball goes to the shooter lane?
I'm not certain about score cards because I've never change that setting and my Triple Strike is set to extra ball mode with extra ball at 85,000.

So, yeah, everything you described above is pretty accurate. The score will get to 990 points for example, but then will shoot back to 0 if you score again. Sometimes it does trigger the 1000 correctly, though, so I'm not sure if it's just certain parts of the scoring that aren't registering it correctly or what. And the 1-10 bonus that you described does not trigger when the ball drains. If I get the extra ball, and then drain the ball, the red light will stay on, keeping it in an endless free ball.

#6 4 years ago

Info on score reels: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

For bonus issues, I'd recommend looking over the process (which I describe in detail here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-triple-strike-help-please#post-4928838) and try to pinpoint what is and isn't happening. Then we can narrow down the things to check.

For the extra ball relay, I would recommend tilting the playfield up and triggering the switches necessary to engage that relay (easiest is probably triggering all the drop targets twice). Then manually trigger the outhole switch and see what happens. Look at the switches that MarkG pointed out and see if they open/close cleanly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/triple-strike-scoring-issues-and-endless-extra-balls?hl=pschwisow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.