Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by skrapg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

This is the first machine that I have bought and so I am a real noob.

I have had it few months ago and have cleaned it, replaced the rubbers, flippers and cleaned the ball count stepper unit and Bonus stepper unit. It now plays, the the 1-10 pin bonus only work intermitantly. It doesnt allow for a strike. Most of the roll-overs in the 1-10 unit buzz. Some score and play a chime and some just play a chime or buzz.

Does anyone have any idea which direction I should go to get the bonus working?

#2 8 years ago

Sounds like your orange roll over switches are gummed up, sticky. The buzzing and non-scoring are most likely caused by stuck switches. If the oj roll overs do not pop back up, they will keep the switch below closed, causing the buzzing.

The best thing you can do is remove the playfield, remove all of the roll overs, clean them with a qtip and novus 1. Do not use alcohol. The alcohol will melt these old oj roll overs. Do not try to take apart oj roll overs. You will only end up destroying them.
Clean, file and adjust all of the switches underneath the oj roll overs. You may have other issues, but this is where to start. Besides, this should be done no matter what on this machine if you want it to play correctly and give you enjoyment for years to come.

#3 8 years ago

The rollover switches on that game are a nuisance, as the holes in the playfield are just a bit too small. It's pretty common for a switch to get stuck as they can occasionally bind against the playfield when depressed, especially if they're dirty.

Unfortunately, it's really difficult to remove those 1-10 bonus switches. There's just a lot of hardware in the way. Be patient.

Charlie

#4 8 years ago

Thanks guys. I clean them again, but I'm not sure that is what this issue is. The buzzing is coming from the No. 1 Relay. It trips at the first roll and then buzzes. I wish I understood the schmatic, but I have almost no experiance reading them.

I have a new compication that may or may not be related. I realized on Sunday that the Bonus stepper unit was binding and not advancing porperly, so I pulled it apart and cleaned the gunk out of the unit. While I had the Playfield out I replaced that No. 1 relay solenoid, thinking that it maybe waring out. I put it back on and now the machine gives me 3 strikes right off and the buttons still buzz that relay. Do you think that I could have put the Bonus relay togethor incorrectly and that is what is driving the 3 strikes, or do you think it's something in the score motor?

I appreciate any input that you can provide!

#5 8 years ago

always look at what you have done first. but you indicated the buzz was there before.
dont know what the number 1 sol is, but it prob is responding to a switch somewhere.
unplug the play field, start a game and see what happens. it may be on the play field.
if you cannot find it, go through everything to see if it is working correctly, tightening switch stacks, cleaning/adjusting switches where needed, etc.
chk that all the steps work correctly manually,"after you clean/lube them", and you will prob work the bugs out.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks. I know I shouldnt have done both things without testing. That was a bonehead move. Normally I would take pictures of it before taking it completely apart, but I had done it once before and thought that I new how it went back togethor. I did compare the bonus stepper unit with the ball in play stepper in the back box and it looks essentially the same (other than the feelers).

The No. 1 relay coil is in the 1-10 (10 pins in a strike) bonus. It uses the coils as an electromagnet to pull a metal switch when the roll over button is hit. It's odd to me that some of them work everytime, but most just make the No. 1 relay buzz. These relays are in series and so the No. 1 relay is almost always tripped. I'll get to cleaning the roll overs and see if that helps.

#7 8 years ago

Hey Guys, I found my problem with the three strike issue and have fixed that.

Now I realize that the #1 pin roll over drops but does not score, nor does it chime. I'm guessing that it may have to do with pin 5-7 roll overs as those are the roll overs that do not scor but only buzz. I have pulled all of the roll overs out and have cleaned them with novus #1 and though they look great they are still just buzzing. Any ideas?

#8 8 years ago

Have you gone through that pin and tightened all the switch stacks, cleaned/adj switches, cleaned jones plugs?
sounds like you got low supply voltage? goin to those relays?

#9 8 years ago

I've got one rollover switch on my Triple Strike that has a tendency to stick. Have you verified that none of your rollovers are stuck in the closed position? If one (or more) is stuck closed, they'll buzz.

In my case, one of the thousand point switches in the upper left lane sometimes sticks, and when it does, it both buzzes and wreaks havoc with all of the scoring.

Charlie

5 months later
#10 7 years ago

I found someone who was able to help me with my buzz on my triple strike. It was actually an easy fix. On the 1-10 bonus unit, the first pin is the start of the common wire. Well, the gap on the switch was to close and once it was re-gaped it started working. I had to clean the unit a bit to get full functionality but I am very glad to have the bonus feature working. If anyone ever has this type of issue, go and check the gapping in the unit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/triple-strike-roll-over-bonus-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.