Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

help_1.jpg
DSC00429.jpg
DSC00428.jpg
DSC00427.jpg
DSC00425.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ickus305.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

To start things out, my family and I have had this Triple Action by Williams machine for a long time, since the late 70's or early 80's when my grandfather bought it, after it came off route. This machine was in absolutely terrible condition when he got it, and while it was on route it got a terrible re-paint (which I hope to repair soon, but I need it to work again before I take it apart). It played many years in my grandfathers living room, with minor things slowly no longer working.
In the early 90's my grandfather gave it to my dad and I, and my father fixed what he was able to find parts for and etc then (very early in the life of the internet.)
I now have the machine and it sits in my line up of early SS machines. Unfortunately one day I had a lose wire which caused a short and blow out several things including some solenoids and score motor. After, a lot of tracing wires, and plenty of headaches, I traced many of the issues, and got the machine to play a few games. Unfortunately, now the game is stuck in reset and will not start a new game.

I really think it is a simple issue, but after months of trying I am still at a loss.

I have attached a few pictures of the cabinet relays, start motor, and also a video.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(video, of what the machine is doing.)

DSC00425.JPGDSC00425.JPG
DSC00427.JPGDSC00427.JPG
DSC00428.JPGDSC00428.JPG
DSC00429.JPGDSC00429.JPG

#3 8 years ago

I do have the manual, and the schematics.
Also, this is for the 1974 Williams Triple Action (not Triple Strike)

I can get the score motor to turn and reset, by activating the Reset relay. But when I press the start button or when I activate the coin reset relay, then I end up in the continuous loop. When I hit the cabinet slam, the machine shuts down for a split second and then will go back into the cycle. I either have to turn the switch off for at least 10 seconds, or I can also end the cycle by forcing the coin relay open. I have tested the solenoid and it tests the same as the others in line. I have followed the schematics to see if I could find a switch someplace causing a problem and from testing have not found anything so far.

I posted the pictures and the video as a hope that it might provide some information towards something I am missing.

3 weeks later
#5 8 years ago

Rolf,
Thank you for the reply, and my apologies for the extremely slow response (I was out of town.) Also, thanks for the schematic (I have original, and have been trying to trace things.)

Thank you for the reset procedures. My problem appears to be at the beginning of the cycle.

I turn on the machine, press the left flipper to turn on the lights. When I press the start/credit button. Nothing Happens. The machine does not respond to anything beyound the left flipper turning on the GI lighting.

I can manually (push it over) get the coin reset coil to close (and then the coil is activated and holds and does not release). This then puts the score motor into continuous run.

#8 8 years ago

Jumper A, nothing happened.
Jumper B w/ A, blow the fuse

I buzz tested the coils. The z-27 1000 test both ways to 10.?? for the coin, etc. The two z-27 1000 with the switch stacks that have two coils, buzz test at 3.??

I replaced the fuse, and by pushing the coin relay coil stack, the machine starts the continuous loop still (it holds the coil and does not let it go. If I push the stack back open it stops the cycle and idles again.)

I have 1 z-27 1000, should I just go ahead and replace the coil? or does it seem as if the problem may be something else?

Also, sorry Chrisbee, as much as I feel I should be able to follow things easily, I sometimes get lost in the instructions, and was confused as to how to try your suggestion...
Working on this machine, I feel extremely novice in my electrical knowledge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ickus305.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/triple-action-stuck-in-reset?tu=ickus305 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.