Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RobMcRaf
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140405_190115.jpg
    IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2943.jpg
    IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2968.JPG
    IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2935.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

Some members of our league got together and made a trip down to Flippers and Arcade store down in Grandy, NC yesterday. http://outerbanksamusements.com/Grandy-NC-Arcade.htm

Grandy is just outside of the Outer Banks of NC so is a heavily vacationed area for the east coast. The beaches of the outer banks are some of the finest in the US. Of course, if on vacation with the family, all you'll be thinking about while there will be how to get to Flippers. Flippers is a great stop on the way to the beach as it is about 20 minutes from the bridge that takes you to the actual beaches or a great destination on a rainy day, pray silently for rain.

Well this trip was different. The call was put out to see if any league members where interested in going as my wife and kids were out of town for a couple of days. A weekday trip meant no worry of big beach traffic and the good chance that we would have all the games to ourselves. It was well worth the trip.

IMG_2935.JPGIMG_2935.JPG

There is a large sign you can see from the road as you come around the bend and while the building is pretty nondescript you can see this sign on the wall of the store lets you in on a some of it's secrets.

IMG_2939.JPGIMG_2939.JPG

Even after walking inside it takes a moment to bend your head around a couple large redemption machines to get to
    the heart of what Flippers is…and when you do…..ahhhhhhh.

IMG_2968.JPGIMG_2968.JPG

Variety of games is great. There are pretty much all the A titles as well as B and most C titles as well. All the newer Sterns are represented in their LE form so you get all the bells and whistles.

IMG_2964.JPGIMG_2964.JPG

And yes there is a BBB on location for 50c.

IMG_2942.JPGIMG_2942.JPG

The games are very well kept and most played 100%. A couple switches seemed to be flaky but nothing one wouldn't
    encounter in their own game room. I am very picky about flipper power and a couple games seem to have a little less powerful flippers than I'd like but that usually meant playing with control and not trying to pop shots too much which
    helps my game and many high scores were put up today.

IMG_2969.JPGIMG_2969.JPG

I took $40 bucks for tokens, games run on quarters as well but they dispense tokens, and only ended up spending about $5 as the replays for games were pretty easily reached on many. Our group left a ton of credits for the next marauding gang of pinballers to come their way.

Flippers also host several tournaments throughout the year and while I haven't made it to one yet several friends have and really enjoy the format and atmosphere that the owner creates. Can't go wrong with Flippers.

Can't go wrong with pinball.

IMG_2957.jpgIMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2943.jpgIMG_2943.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Awesome, looks like fun! I put some time in on that STLE while I was there. Flippers is great.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Some members of our league got together and made a trip down to Flippers and Arcade store down in Grandy, NC yesterday. http://outerbanksamusements.com/Grandy-NC-Arcade.htm
    Grandy is just outside of the Outer Banks of NC so is a heavily vacationed area for the east coast. The beaches of the outer banks are some of the finest in the US. Of course, if on vacation with the family, all you'll be thinking about while there will be how to get to Flippers. Flippers is a great stop on the way to the beach as it is about 20 minutes from the bridge that takes you to the actual beaches or a great destination on a rainy day, pray silently for rain.
    Well this trip was different. The call was put out to see if any league members where interested in going as my wife and kids were out of town for a couple of days. A weekday trip meant no worry of big beach traffic and the good chance that we would have all the games to ourselves. It was well worth the trip.

There is a large sign you can see from the road as you come around the bend and while the building is pretty nondescript you can see this sign on the wall of the store lets you in on a some of it's secrets.

Even after walking inside it takes a moment to bend your head around a couple large redemption machines to get to
    the heart of what Flippers is…and when you do…..ahhhhhhh.

Variety of games is great. There are pretty much all the A titles as well as B and most C titles as well. All the newer Sterns are represented in their LE form so you get all the bells and whistles.

And yes there is a BBB on location for 50c.

The games are very well kept and most played 100%. A couple switches seemed to be flaky but nothing one wouldn't
    encounter in their own game room. I am very picky about flipper power and a couple games seem to have a little less powerful flippers than I'd like but that usually meant playing with control and not trying to pop shots too much which
    helps my game and many high scores were put up today.

I took $40 bucks for tokens, games run on quarters as well but they dispense tokens, and only ended up spending about $5 as the replays for games were pretty easily reached on many. Our group left a ton of credits for the next marauding gang of pinballers to come their way.
    Flippers also host several tournaments throughout the year and while I haven't made it to one yet several friends have and really enjoy the format and atmosphere that the owner creates. Can't go wrong with Flippers.
    Can't go wrong with pinball.

IMG_2935.JPG 181 KB

IMG_2939.JPG 246 KB

IMG_2942.JPG 159 KB

IMG_2957.jpg 373 KB

IMG_2968.JPG 234 KB

IMG_2964.JPG 181 KB

IMG_2943.jpg 239 KB

IMG_2969.JPG 192 KB

Flippers is awesome!! I was there last summer during a vacation to OBX, and literally had the place to myself! It looks like they have re-shuffled the games around from some of the ones that were powered off in the back. Getting to see and play a BBB in person was really cool..

#4 9 years ago

Is the owner of the machines at Flippers a member here?

It's an incredible collection, including Cactus Canyon, M Madness, Big Bang Bar, etc... And it's clear that they are well taken care of, even modded in some instances (like the Tron pictured).

It's very generous of him to share his collection like that, and the price to play is unbelievable as well. It's clearly a labor of love for whomever owns them.

#5 9 years ago

Yes, Love this place....

definitely pinball Nerd-vahla

#6 9 years ago

Yup. Go there whenever I can. Definitely worth a trip for those in the mid-Atlantic region who haven't been there.

#7 9 years ago

Flippers is great. We make the OBX vacation trip every 2 years and this is always a 1/2 day stop.

#8 9 years ago

I was there like 3 weeks ago...for 2 days...even spent the night on Friday

I probably played like 10-12 hours between those 2 days...

If you ever get the chance to go there, do it

#9 9 years ago

I dont think Dave is a member here but I could be wrong. Super nice guy and he definitely does it for the love of pinball not the cash (He has Color DMDs in every game that they are available for, several nice mods on others, BBB for $.50, EVERY NEW STERN LE etc) Plus he has a FZERO arcade game that is super rare (I believe its one of 12 in the world) that is also only $.50 to play.

#10 9 years ago

Yeah I enjoyed playing that BBB there in the back room...

#11 9 years ago

wow !!

have to put this on my visit list.

thanks for posting

1 week later
    #12 9 years ago

Thanks for the nice review. I am on Pinside and post all my Tournaments on here.
    I also post all new games and events on my Facebook page: Flippers Variety & Arcade.
    Thanks again for making the trip and supporting Flippers.

#13 9 years ago

May I add the proverbial "Wish I was closer"?! I love your place but can get there only once or twice a year.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

Plus he has a FZERO arcade game that is super rare (I believe its one of 12 in the world) that is also only $.50 to play.

That's awesome, I was worried he sold it. Got to play it last year when I made it down for their annual Spring tournament.

#15 9 years ago

I live literally around the corner from flippers. I dont have a personal pin collection. I dont need it. Im in the league here and its a great group of guys. All the pins are 50 cent and if I need a fix its so close. Dave is a great dude and this arcade is truly set up for the love of pinball .

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from DumpsterJ:

I dont have a personal pin collection. I dont need it.

Lucky, lucky guy! I might own one or two pins in that case, but perhaps not. Certainly not ten or twelve.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from obxamuse:

Thanks for the nice review. I am on Pinside and post all my Tournaments on here.
    I also post all new games and events on my Facebook page: Flippers Variety & Arcade.
    Thanks again for making the trip and supporting Flippers.

Thanks for keeping such a well maintained collection for us to play. Looking forward to my OBX vacation this year and it's not for the sand. BTW, anyone that has a BBB on 50c a play on location is about as top notch as it gets.

#18 9 years ago

Heading back there later this Summer as well... great trip!

question for recent visitors:
    1. Do they have a Mustang pin yet?
    2. Did they get their WozLe (they had a problematic prototpe machine when i was there last)

#19 9 years ago

Mr. Shields is a North Carolina Pinball Champion in every sense of the word!

20140405_190115.jpg20140405_190115.jpg

There he is hovering behind the trophies at his last tournament. At this western-themed spring tournament my son managed to win the 8th place trophy, the one with the horse's ass missing the plaque in the foreground. A higher finisher asked him to trade trophies, and he respectfully declined!

Flippers is truly a pinball mecca. I just couldn't believe it when we first visited, and like some others, we spent the night and spent most of two full days there. We've been back several times, and it's always a great experience. We feel very fortunate that we only have to drive 4 hours to get there--for the reasons others have mentioned, it's worth every second!

Nothing but good things to say about Mr. Shields and his Roadside Pinhead Willy Wonka Wonderland!

PS--they had a tournament last weekend on Mustang. You can play WOZ at the Spirits in Cary!

2 months later
    #20 9 years ago

Yes they have a Mustang LE. I liked it more than I thought would be the case. The music and the sounds are from different eras of the last 50 years, so it was like Time Machine. Fast game (not as fast as the latest Star Trek), but manageable.

As far as the other comments about Flipper's - totally on the mark. I usually go there on Sunday morning (they open at 7 because it is also a gas station), and am able to pick up all the credits that were left on the machines by the Saturday night crowd. If you had to walk away from a game on a Saturday night .... THANKS!

I only have 1 pinball machine (a cocktail Take-Five) because Flipper's is 50 minutes down the road.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trip-to-flippers-variety-in-grandy-nc-5-15-14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.