13 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by jonnyo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

Hey all

Just got back from taking the family to Disney Land/California Adventure. We all had a great time. I got to see the Capitals/Ducks play (13 goals! Washington wins 7-6), watch my all time favourite Fred Couples choke after having a two stroke lead (Northern Trust PGA event at Riveria), saw the sights and of course snuck in as much pinball as I could.

The below is taken from my smart phone, so the editing is kind of choppy and incomplete sentences abound.

Also, to all those who drive/have driven on the I-5, watch out for bikers as they tend to drive in between the lanes.

Day One - Calgary airport, played attack from mars, ripleys bion. Both in awful shape, both ended in tilt's that could not be recovered (ball stuck). Saw a bunch of sterns. Two elvis, 2 roller coaster tycoons, wheel of fortune, and a south park. Ripley’s was not bad! Mars was awesome in spite of its condition.

Day two - played no pins

Day three - PotC @ Starcade near space mountain. Played it. Fast game, nice flow to it. Only played once. 1$ to play! Auto plunge could not get balls in play. Not liking sterns dot matrix cabinet/back glass art.

Day four - played whirlwind in Flynn’s Arcade (California Adventure). Replay set at 2 million. Really dirty, out lane guides were sunk into the playfield. Bad drains. Some odd screw marks in front of cellar. Upper flipper was really weak, could not make million plus shot. Fun game. Played all multi balls and left a ton of credits on it.

Day five - drove to a movie theatre in Huntington Beach and played creech. In awesome shape! Love that pin. Great theme, great audio and visual, nice flowing game play. Move your car! Also drove to a bowling alley and played JP and TZ. Both in awful shape. Tz's right flipper was so weak, sometimes shots could not make it past the mode inserts!

Day 6 - no pins

Day 7 - #1 score on PotC. 200 million. Grand champ is 1.2 billion. Left two credits on it. Nice combos. I’d like to pick this one up cheap.

Day 8 - #1 score on PotC again. 205 million. Left 3 credits on it. Matched! Very good flow if you can make the shots. Fun multi-ball. Fun to own for a couple of months?

Day 9 - LAX - no pins? Calgary airport - TSPP, Junkyard, Elvis x2, LotR, PotC, SWep1, RCTycoon, All cabinets are drilled w/ padlocks. Weak flippers and change machines don't work. Junkyard was fun.

I recommend the trip to anyone who has kids. Was a good time!

#2 13 years ago

Sounds like you had a great time, did the family enjoy your hi scores as much as you? Too bad all those games were in such rough shape, same problem everywhere.

#3 13 years ago

The family were kept busy with the theme park attractions. The wait for Space Mountain was enough that I could get in a game while I waited for them to finish the ride. Win/Win!

#4 13 years ago

You were only 60 miles away from Pins & Needles, which is about the only place to play pinball in Los Angeles, and by that I mean in a place where they love their machines and don't let them get out of shape. Last I checked they had 12 machines there.
    Never cared much for Disneyland. I think that's because I saw too much of the area just outside Disneyland. Not a very happy place at all.

Doesn't surprise me there wasn't any pinball at LAX, either. As far as I know, only the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport has pinball in the US. Vegas doesn't. Neither does SeaTac.

#5 13 years ago

"Never cared much for Disneyland. I think that's because I saw too much of the area just outside Disneyland. Not a very happy place at all ..."

I once read that this is precisely why Disney bought such an insane amount of land when he decided to build a new park in Florida. He wanted to make sure that there was a huge buffer zone between his attractions and the real world.

#6 13 years ago

I can see where your coming from. We stayed pretty much in the park, our hotel was there as well. On the times we went out, much of what we saw did not leave a great impression on me.

The day I really noticed it was dropping my family off so they could see the sights in Hollywood. I went to watch pro golf at Riveria. What a difference in a ten minute drive. Go from seeing the homeless/down and out, to 5+ million dollar homes. It exists in every city, but seemed a lot more noticeable.

I should have checked in here before going, I would have driven the 60 miles. Thankfully had the GPS with me as well. Saved my bacon a few times.

#7 13 years ago

Haha... those pins at Westminster lanes are AWFUL x a billion. I'm shocked you were able to play the TZ too, the only time I tried it reset on me about 3 seconds after I launched the ball. A kid came along right after me, stuck a token in and tried to play so I gave him another. He launched his ball and it did the same thing to him.

The Creech though, I just played that the weekend before this last and it was in nice shape but the sound gave it up after about 15 minutes. It's good to hear that it worked for you though as that means someone is actively taking care of the game—a rarity indeed.

Pins & Needles is definitely not 60 miles from Anaheim... more like 30 or so. Of course at the wrong time of day that'll still take an hour or more on I5.

There's little to be impressed about here in SoCal—at least not on the surface. It's not a tourist friendly city unless you really know what you want to see.

#8 13 years ago

Laughingotter, they have done quite a bit of gentrifying in the area around Disneyland. I was there last year and didn't recognize it from when I went four or five years prior.

That said, the "rough" look of anaheim never really bothered me.

I love going to Disneyland. I saw a few games while I was there but didn't play any. The only one I wanted to play was the IJ in adventure land with the custom cabinet but I just never got around to it.

http://www.micsaund.com/games/IJ/IJ_PicGal/disney_ij.php

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trip-report-anaheim-california and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.