(Topic ID: 140554)

Trim cab decals behind stern leg brackets?

By Chet

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Chet
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I am getting ready to put new cab decals on my whirlwind and plan to install the new Stern style metal leg standoff brackets so the legs will not touch the cab. Should I cut and remove the the part of cab decal that is under the metal leg bracket? Was thinking that even though the metal brackets are screwed to the corners of the cab, they could still move slightly with nudging and cause the new decals to wrinkle if left under the bracket.

#2 8 years ago

Yes, you'll want to put the protector on so there is no decal underneath. Over time the leg installed will possibly cause them to wrinkle.

I just install the leg protector on, trace out around it a bit larger, remove the protector and then cut off decal where marked. Then reinstall the protector. I'm sure there's better ways but this is what I've used.

#3 8 years ago

could you put the complete decal down and then cut around the bracket and leave the piece on behind the bracket? that way it wouldn't wrinkle but still be complete if you removed the legs? maybe in the future if you decide to sell a potential buy might get all wigged out if that area was trimmed off, and not on the cab.

#4 8 years ago

Thinking aloud, if you make the cut in the decal by tracing around the full perimeter of the leg plate, it would seem to accomplish the same thing as removing the decal from below the plate since it would still isolate decal left under the plate from the cab decal (no physical connection). Thoughts, comments?

#5 8 years ago

No, do what dtracy said.......trace it large than the bracket (I'd do 1/4" larger), remove decade and install bracket

1 month later
#6 8 years ago

I did as ovfdfireman recommended above. Trimmed the cab decals slightly beyond the edge of the bracket and then installed brackets. I bought new legs for it from Pinball life for SYS 11 era games. I did notice that a few of the legs still touch and the sides of the cabinet with the metal corner brackets installed. Anyone else have this occur? Seems like the leg brackets are just a little too thin. I am thinking about putting the blue pincab protectors on between the metal corner brackets and the legs. The plastic cab protectors do not seem to touch the cabinet sides with the legs installed? Comments or thoughts?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

I did as ovfdfireman recommended above. Trimmed the cab decals slightly beyond the edge of the bracket and then installed brackets. I bought new legs for it from Pinball life for SYS 11 era games. I did notice that a few of the legs still touch and the sides of the cabinet with the metal corner brackets installed. Anyone else have this occur? Seems like the leg brackets are just a little too thin. I am thinking about putting the blue pincab protectors on between the metal corner brackets and the legs. The plastic cab protectors do not seem to touch the cabinet sides with the legs installed? Comments or thoughts?

I would double up on the metal brackets. That should give the extra space you need. I agree the plates are a little thin and wish they were thicker. There was a guy selling his own on eBay that were a little thicker and I preferred them, however I think he quit making them.

Another option is to add felt protectors and that will likely give the clearance you need, however I don't like them because the cushion seems to allow my machines to rock. I would only use pincabs over the plates if you are trying to hide damage already done.

#8 8 years ago

Good idea. I will try doubling up on the metal brackets. I have several extras, plus I am using the extended leg bolts so that should work. No damage on cabinet now since i just installed new decals. Will post back how it works. Don't think I will need to re-install the small wood screws to mount the first bracket. I think the extra bracket can just be held by the leg and the leg bolts against the first bracket. It sure would be nice if someone would fabricate thicker brackets. Thanks.

#9 8 years ago

I doubled up on the brackets by just placing the additional bracket on top of the first one. It seems to work. Allows for at least 1/16 inch or more standoff of the leg from the cabinet at the closest point. Will see how this does.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trim-cab-decals-behind-stern-leg-brackets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.