(Topic ID: 34284)

Tried to install deadworld ROM for JD, now it beeps but won't fire up...

By madcow

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pintastic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2028.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I tried to install the deadworld ROM that I've had lying around on my Judge Dredd, and it would beep but not turn on. So I threw the old ROM back in there, and it still beeps but won't fire up the lights & everything else... have I broken something? Or...? Thanks in advance...

#2 11 years ago

Are you lining up the notch on the ROM with the notch printed on the circuit board ?

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

As far as I can tell they seem to be lined up properly...

IMG_2028.JPGIMG_2028.JPG IMG_2029.JPGIMG_2029.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Looks to me like the chip is in backwards. the notch needs to be on the right side if your looking at it.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from marlboroa:

Looks to me like the chip is in backwards. the notch needs to be on the right side if your looking at it.

I agree. And likely putting them in backwards has ruined both rom chips.

#6 11 years ago

Aaaaand I've broken off a pin while removing it! Awesome. Really wishing I had just left the damn thing alone now...

#7 11 years ago

lol. New rom chip otw...

I get what I did wrong, can someone explain why/how the chips are busted since I put them in wrong? I think I got thrown off because the labels on the sound chips are upside down, so I just figured it was the same for the EPROM...

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from madcow:

can someone explain why/how the chips are busted since I put them in wrong?

Because you nuked them internally by sending in signals and power in the wrong directions.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from madcow:

so I just figured it was the same for the EPROM..

It's part of the education. Pain to have happen, but you'll never put a chip in again without checking which way it goes no matter which way the label is.

There is always a notch to line up with the notch painted on the board.

Or is there is a tiny round dot - that is near pin one and goes where pin one is marked on the board.

If this is the worst thing you ever do, you got off light.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If this is the worst thing you ever do, you got off light.

Thanks for the input, it's frustrating but I know it could be worse...trying not to be too hard on myself over it. Ordered a new standard EPROM from "Thatpinballplace.com", thinking about ordering another deadworld EPROM but I might wait on that because I'm bitter about messing up.

Do y'all have a preferred place to order EPROMs from...?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from madcow:

lol. New rom chip otw...
I get what I did wrong, can someone explain why/how the chips are busted since I put them in wrong? I think I got thrown off because the labels on the sound chips are upside down, so I just figured it was the same for the EPROM...

The damage is caused by the power pins that drive the chips. The power went into the wrong pins because they were backwards. You can't go by the labels. Use the notch in the side of the chip. That's why it's there. It's a cheap lesson but an annoying one

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from madcow:

Do y'all have a preferred place to order EPROMs from...?

You already found the best. John Wart rocks !

#13 11 years ago

Get the Deadworld ROM.......it rocks compared to anything else on JD.

#14 11 years ago

@ Astro, Yeah, it seems really cool but my planet gearbox does not run super smooth (it sticks a little bit every few rotations) so I'm not sure it will run very well. I know there are a few ways to fix it (one being sending the gearbox in for a $200 repair/replacement,) but I'm not experienced or wealthy enough to fix it at the moment. I will probably try it anyways, but I know the previous owner had issues with it and took it off at some point so I'm worried I'll have the same issues...

#15 11 years ago

maybe dig into it and see if you can fix it. I know I've seen some stuff on the net (maybe even here) on tearing that thing apart and fixing it.

1 week later
#16 11 years ago

Just chiming in to say it was indeed the burned out eeprom, stuck a new one in there and it fired up just fine. Now to troubleshoot the deadworld mod I just installed

#17 11 years ago

I believe the deadworld mod requires the special rom from Pinbits to function.

#18 11 years ago

Has anyone installed the blue ring? I was thinking it might look cool.

#19 11 years ago

I had opto problems but fixed them all this past Monday night and the deadworld mod was well worth the money. Now I need to put some more games on it and see if I like this game or not.

Chris

#20 11 years ago

Got the Pinbits rom&ring installed, and the ball does not catch on the ring. The diverter, switch 62&63 work properly. My "Left Ramp Enter" opto does not work properly. In the switch menu it's open and won't close when I run my hand through it. The wires seem to be going to the right place, and the connectors don't seem burned out... This is as far as I've gotten with my limited technical knowledge...

Since the other optos on the same board are working, I'm assuming it's either a dead wire, or the optos themselves are bad...?

#21 11 years ago

Clean them or align them. If its always open then the receiver can't see the transmitter. Get some q tips and alcohol. Should do the trick.

#22 11 years ago

You can also use a cell phone camera or a digital camera to see if the opto is working as well. Turn camera on and turn the room lights down or off and get it close to it. One should be lit up in your view finder (transmitter) and one wont be (receiver). If one is lit up in the view finder of your camera, its working. Of course, do this after you have cleaned with Q tips and alcohol, which will probably do the trick and is the simplest place to start.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from pintastic:

You can also use a cell phone camera or a digital camera to see if the opto is working as well. Turn camera on and turn the room lights down or off and get it close to it. One should be lit up in your view finder (transmitter) and one wont be (receiver). If one is lit up in the view finder of your camera, its working. Of course, do this after you have cleaned with Q tips and alcohol, which will probably do the trick and is the simplest place to start.

As long as the cell phone isn't an iPhone 4S or above.. They have IR filters built in. On the flip side, my retired iPhone 3GS now lives in the pinball parts box as Opto troubleshooting widget.

#24 11 years ago

You guys were dead-on; I thought I had cleaned it when I stripped the playfield but a little alcohol & Q-tip and now the opto works fine! Just have to wait until my girlfriend wakes up to test the deadworld now...

#25 11 years ago

"If it
*rolls past the hole* or under the metal guide, then the dead world may need to be raised." - from Iobium.com...

Apparently the opto wasn't the problem, but good to fix it anyways

So now I need to figure out how to raise deadworld a bit... I'll be checking google and trying to figure it out myself, but if anyone can chime in I'd love it! Haven't found anything yet, I'm thinking about trying fat washers on top of the 3 planet arms instead of manually adjusting the planet pole because I'm afraid of damaging it...

Thanks again guys!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

As long as the cell phone isn't an iPhone 4S or above.. They have IR filters built in. On the flip side, my retired iPhone 3GS now lives in the pinball parts box as Opto troubleshooting widget.

Ah! Good to know.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from madcow:

So now I need to figure out how to raise deadworld a bit...

Do you have the manual? Its been a while since I had a JD, but theres a fairly thorough section on trouble shooting the dead world in it. Not sure if it covers that issue or not but worth checking into.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tried-to-install-deadworld-rom-for-jd-now-it-beeps-but-wont-fire-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.