Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by root
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I think it is a MPU issues but I wanted to make sure what else I can try before I go out and buy a new board. Trident, when turned on, the speaker makes a loud continuous sound (medium pitched) and will not stop. All the lights turn on and do nothing else. Displays do not show anything I can see it has power.

This is the first STERN I am working on so this is new territory for me. Before I do anything else, wanted to get advise what to do next. Checked fuses and look fine. I do have a multi-meter, what/where should I check the voltages? There is battery corrosion on the MPU but the previous seller stated they had it working. Assuming that all the lights come one and it does play a sound, would indicate that the PS, rectifier and sound board are fine.... is that a safe assumption?

Is there a away to put the board is a diag/test mode?

#2 10 years ago

I would really recommend starting at the rectifier board and making sure all the connectors, fuses, and text point values are good. If they are not, it doesn't matter what board you put in it, because it won't be able to boot or work as it should.

Jason

#3 10 years ago

Start by verifying power at the test points. Get on pin wiki and get your DMM out. Work from the rectifier board towards the MPU, or go the other direction and verify all test point voltages are good. In particular you need +12v and +5v on the mpu for it to boot up.

#4 10 years ago

Thank you all. I will work on this first. I will have time tomorrow to check this.

#5 10 years ago

One easy check is to watch the LED on the MPU - it should blink 7 times at startup, one quick flash followed by 6 slower blinks - that will tell you if the MPU is alive.

Also - even if the previous owner repaired battery damage the board should be neutralized in vinegar, otherwise it will continue to deteriorate.

The other posters are correct, check voltages first, but the LED will tell you if the MPU is DOA, and the number of blinks will yield clues as to the issue.

#6 10 years ago

The MPU is crap. Tried swapping out the U chips and no results. Ordered another board. Now I need a SB-100... any ideas?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 199.95
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trident-start-issues-light-on-and-buzz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.