(Topic ID: 284372)

Trident 2020 - a rewrite of Stern Trident (1979)

By DickHamill

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by BaronMARTo
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9F1BB069-17E5-4BBE-8C31-9FC4696473B2 (resized).jpeg
99DEC7FF-A53F-4483-91CC-6C015D70B87F (resized).jpeg
70B1FBA0-5AA3-443B-B176-34E7FDFD2323 (resized).jpeg
C21E513A-E7AC-4745-9BBC-06CC379C54F8 (resized).jpeg
trident-sketch (resized).png
IMG_1229 (resized).jpg
bsos-git (resized).png
trident-sketch (resized).png
20220623_095259 (resized).jpg
20220623_095331 (resized).jpg
20220623_095340 (resized).jpg
20210822_132405_HDR (resized).jpg
20210320_215008 (resized).jpg
20210320_214916 (resized).jpg
20210320_130912 (resized).jpg
20210320_161632 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#103 2 years ago

I'm currently working on a restoration of another classic Stern, this time a Trident. I'm wondering if the second version of the RoyGBev card works with the Trident, or is it only really intended for SB-300 games (like Meteor)

I'm also curious if there is a way that I could add a second toggle switch, that would allow transitioning between the SB-100 (or sb-300 on a Meteor) sounds in the new code and the wave trigger sounds. Is there a pin available to use to set a variable in the code to allow for this?

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

The second version does work with Trident, but it's not necessary. Rev 2 is backwards compatible with all the game code released so far, but the only new functionality it exposes is to talk to the SB300.
Yes, on Rev 2 of the hardware, there's an unused pin (D13) that's exposed on J2. You can attach U2:pin17 directly to GND and then use D13 for a second switch input.
However, I don't believe there is enough code space on the Nano to support both SB100 sounds and Wav Trigger sounds in the same compile. If there was enough code space, I would make the sounds configurable through a coin-door option setting. I did that with Stars (you can switch between Chimes and Wav Trigger through a coin-door option).
A better solution for this would be to switch to the MEGA 2560 board. I'm working on a Bally/Stern interface for the Mega 2560 now. Should be made public in a couple of months (at the latest). The Mega 2560 has 8x the code space available.

More code space and more available pins so it might simplify things a little. Let me know when you get there, I’d be happy to do some testing.

1 month later
#106 2 years ago

As promised, video of mine now up and flipping. Thanks again!

*Note any cat sounds aren't part of the game. My cat likes to yell at me during pinball*

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

FYI - did you re-pin your lamp board connector J1?
I'm guessing that pins 4 & 5 of your lamp board's J1 are swapped?

I sure did. Thanks for catching it! It is all fixed now.

1 week later
#111 2 years ago

I’ve found 2 small bug report items for the next release.

First is that when you tilt all the coils are disabled. The problem is with the saucer coil being disabled. If you happen to tilt and roll it in there, it’s stuck.

Second is the coin lockout relay logic seems to be backwards. It should be disabled in free play, and enabled for coin use. When the coil has no power, coins just drop into the coin return.

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Thanks for the reports (and thanks for the notes, slochar)! I fixed the tilt issue and pushed new code to GitHub. There are a couple of other changes in the new code. Here's a summary of changes:
1) When tilted, the game already halted scoring, pops, and slings. Now it also watches the saucer and immediately kicks out if the switch is hit.
2) There was a scoring bug when in the mini games (the score multiplier wasn't working right). This has been fixed.
3) Qualifying a second/third mini-game now resets the timer on the saucer, making a double/triple stack slightly easier to achieve.
4) I moved the code over to updated switch timing to make it compatible with a wider variety of boards.
5) Defaulted sound to the SB100 - before compiling please check the beginning of BSOS_Config.h to adjust sound preferences and hardware rev
6) Fixed a jackpot bug where jackpots could bleed over after "Deep Blue Sea" was finished
I haven't touched the coin lockout issue yet - I need more time to evaluate it.

Fantastic. I'm going to throw it on my machine tonight and try it out.

1 week later
#118 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Trident went to the Atlanta SFGE show this past weekend. It got a lot of plays and a great response to the updated code, sounds and speech. I put in a power ball to speed it up also. It Won best modded game of the show whoo hoo.
[quoted image]

DickHamill is going to have to update his LinkedIn profile to include award winning game designer

1 month later
#122 2 years ago
Quoted from ozoneaction:

sound bar for this project sounds like a great idea. any recommendations on a sound bar? would sound bar with subwoofer be overkill?

Any sound bar that you can connect to the 3.5mm headphone jack out of the wave card will work. I added a cheap 2.1 amp in both my Trident and Meteor and connected to the cabinet speaker.

Trident: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trident-2020-restoration-/page/2#post-6401701
Meteor: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979/page/4#post-6290060

1 week later
#125 2 years ago
Quoted from ozoneaction:

Do we know if this will work on this board?
https://nvram.weebly.com/mpu.html
This board has 32 J5 pins
How would the IRQ jumper work?
Thanks!!

As of right now, no it won't work (it got discussed in the Meteor forum. Links below)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past/page/46#post-6477803
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past/page/46#post-6478384

#129 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

Wow! Very impressive. Does the original Trident have individually controlled drop targets?

Yeah. You can check it out here.

2 months later
#131 2 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Has anyone tried running the wav trigger off the speaker in the cabinet? Was wondering if it sounded any good?

I think the line out on the wav trigger is pretty low power. Likely too low to drive the cabinet speaker

#136 2 years ago

I was surprised to see that Trident has been rated so few times on here. This really might be a hidden gem.

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

So far, of the machines I've reprogrammed it's the only one I've kept.

Same here. It’s a favorite of everyone who comes over.

2 years later
#180 3 months ago

The answer is somewhere in the Meteor thread. I had to mess around with that too a while back when I wanted to add my own music. The wav trigger is very particular about how the files need to be encoded. If the format is wrong, you get nothing. Did you test first with Dick’s stock sound files and make sure your set up is working first before trying your own sound files?

#181 3 months ago

Found the post where I said how I got it to work.

TLDR - Use Audacity to encode the wav files to 16 bit PCM. If you save them as 16 bit float (like many apps do), they won’t play on the wav trigger.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979/page/6#post-6633649

Quoted from bigguybbr:

+1 for using Audacity to edit the sounds on here. I swapped out some of the music files for background music sounds clips from Space Mountain (Disney Ride). It's awesome.
I think the only trick is when you save out files to use on the wav trigger, you have to make sure you save them as 16 bit PCM, not Float, or they won't play. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trident-2020-a-rewrite-of-stern-trident-1979?tu=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.