View topic image gallery

NoticeTheHeatSink (resized).jpg
20200130_163814_HDR (resized).jpg
20200130_163721_HDR (resized).jpg
20200130_150607 (resized).jpg
20200130_150612 (resized).jpg
Insert (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I need to replace the large blue triangle inserts in my Stern Lightning. These are 1-1/4" wide x 2-3/4" tall. I can't seem to find a supplier that carries them, does anyone know if they are even available?

Insert (resized).jpgInsert (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

To the top, Like a bump. Trying g to get some action here for ya

#5 4 years ago

I don't know but I have been looking for some for YEARS. Still no luck. I even had a classified ad here for them. No responses.

If I could my hands on a good one, I could make a mold and cast new ones.

#6 4 years ago

Yeah, nobody has those. I looked for years, years ago, and never found any. All of the spare PF's I had picked up were curled up as well, and I sacrificed a couple of those trying to flatten them out. No dice.

6 months later
#7 4 years ago

resurrecting this thread...

I have a 3D Printer at the school where I teach...

I just got some Translucent PLA filament...

I am going to try to reproduce these... Right now the blue I have is too light... but I will see what I can do...

#8 4 years ago

I have 2 of these inserts that I had for years for a Lightning playfield that I was going to restore but never got to. What is the value of 2 NOS blue inserts?

#9 4 years ago

CPR may have tech specs or drawings.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I have 2 of these inserts that I had for years for a Lightning playfield that I was going to restore but never got to. What is the value of 2 NOS blue inserts?

PM me TOMMY! I'll buy them off of you... would make it way easier to copy and 3D print them with a real set to measure that is not all jacked up...

lmk

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

CPR may have tech specs or drawings.

How do I get in touch with CPR?

#12 4 years ago

First prints on 3D printer... Translucent red... Looks good...

20200130_150612 (resized).jpg20200130_150612 (resized).jpg20200130_150607 (resized).jpg20200130_150607 (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago

Shine some light through those, I'm curious to see just how translucent they are.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Shine some light through those, I'm curious to see just how translucent they are.

Yeah they look rough, real rough

#15 4 years ago

I dont think they look too bad. The edges will be hidden, and the tops can be sanded and polished smooth.

My worry is that they wont actually be translucent when light is shined through them and you'll see the texture from the layers.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

I'm also worried about heat.

No heat from LEDs

#18 4 years ago

Hard to take pics with it lit... Translucency is very good... Slight texture from printing but not bad... Very bright...

20200130_163721_HDR (resized).jpg20200130_163721_HDR (resized).jpg20200130_163814_HDR (resized).jpg20200130_163814_HDR (resized).jpg
#19 4 years ago

Better than an insert shaped like a ramp...

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

No heat from LEDs

LEDs produce heat, just less than your typical incandescent. See the humongous heat sinks on these headlight bulbs? They are there so the heat given off by the LED doesn't destroy the bulb.

Quoted from Lathroum:

How do I get in touch with CPR?

https://classicplayfields.com/contact-us/

NoticeTheHeatSink (resized).jpgNoticeTheHeatSink (resized).jpg
#21 4 years ago

Actually that heat sync is probably because high amperage voltage 12v needs to be dropped... Not the same in a pinball at all... Some home LEDs have them too... To drop 110v down... Not 6v pin LED...

#22 4 years ago

You would do better to make a mold and use epoxy to pour cast some inserts. I do not think the 3d printed one is going to hold up to a big metal ball pounding on it.

#23 4 years ago

Sanding them smooth might be tricky. In my experience, sanding 3D printed models causes them to unwravel like a sweater.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Sanding them smooth might be tricky. In my experience, sanding 3D printed models causes them to unwravel like a sweater.

ABS plastic can be smoothed and shined with acetone.... Not sure about PLA...

#25 4 years ago

I think you're still going to see a texture through them, even if they are sanded and polished.

This may end up being a good thing though, because the original ones were completely translucent with no starburst pattern in them, if I recall correctly.

#26 4 years ago

3D printed inserts just look terrible. I'd keep looking.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

3D printed inserts just look terrible. I'd keep looking.

But would still be better than an insert cupped so badly it works as a ramp...

Guy who said he has an NOS set has not responded on here... I could copy those...

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

But would still be better than an insert cupped so badly it works as a ramp...
Guy who said he has an NOS set has not responded on here... I could copy those...

I'd try to level the insert by using the dropper method first.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fix-cupped-inserts-without-clearing-whole-playfield

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I'd try to level the insert by using the dropper method first.

Have you seen how badly these particular inserts cup?

I think there was a thread some time ago of someone removing those inserts and heating them just enough to get them flat again.

#30 4 years ago

That would fill the cupped area great, but do nothing for the pointy part that sticks up above the level of the PF.

1 month later
#31 4 years ago

I made these out of 1/4" lexan. seem to be holding up pretty good

1 week later
#32 4 years ago

Mine are warped too. Anyone ever try cutting out an insert from blue plastic sheet that is thicker than the original insert, or even the same thickness of the entire insert? It would be solid without a cavity but seems like it would look right but I've never tried it. If it wasn't quite that thick you could add a little bit of shim material at bottom of each corner to raise it up to pf level, or just let it be a little 'short' and carefully level it as the glue dries.

1 year later
#33 2 years ago

I've actually used a heat gun to straighten out the banana triangle inserts on a Firepower. Of course, I removed them first. They came out great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 125.00
$ 69.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/triangle-playfield-inserts-available?hl=lathroum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.