Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RandyW
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have run into an interesting issue. Tri Zone, left pop bumper coil gets hot, was the report. So I immediately figured, bad transistor. Easy fix. Nope! They had already replaced the MPU and SDB with a new Rottendog combo unit and have the same issue. I checked a few things, replaced the switch diode, for good measure too. All coils, minus the one that over heated, test ok.

The cooked coil, I measured the voltages that would be going to it. It has a solid 12 volts all the time. On top of that, it's power pulses with every coil that fires. So it tries to fire as well. My current thought is, the lighting circuit must be shorted in line with this, but I couldn't find anything anywhere.

Any thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

There should be coil voltage on both lugs of the coil and the special solenoid circuit grounds it to fire it. So your voltage is low should be about 28 volts.

You've got a sneak short to something in there that's for sure take the pop bracket out and suspend it in midair to check, then pull the switches as well, same thing. Disconnect the wires and measure without them connected to the coil, there should be 2 power feed wires and one switched wire.

The switch diode on a special solenoid is the bottommost switch for scoring only, has nothing to do with activating the pop. The activation switch (closer to the playfield, right up against the plastic spoon) doesn't have a diode on it although it might/should have a resistor and capacitor, which provide a minimum pulse to the special solenoid circuit (it's just a ground pulse) - they could be bad.

Oh, and suspect the pop lamp, since its leads run right up against the pop bracket.

#3 4 years ago

Thank you! I will dig into that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tri-zone-pop-bumper-firing-all-the-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.