2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PINTEC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

45ff8d53ad97800882ae55f0ca01aa6f00a6f23a (resized).jpg
    received_346278150804019 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi everyone. I recently got an old Williams Tri-Zone from 1979. It's a System 6 machine.

I have not yet got it running as it had severe batteri acid damage on the driver board.

But my question is regarding the required Roms on the CPU board. I actually don't have a chip in the IC14 spot, which as i understand it is the game rom. But the seller told me it was working fine some years ago, and can't tell me anything about why a rom should be missing.

So i was hoping someone could tell me if it looks like i either have all of the required IC's, or if i am indeed missing one or more?

I have attached a picture of the lower left corner of the CPU board.

received_346278150804019 (resized).jpegreceived_346278150804019 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

You're missing other things... I would post a pic of the entire MPU. Multiple 40 pin ICs MPU/PIAs are missing in that pic. I'm assuming you didn't pull them or the missing interconnect pins?

See page 5 here for Tri-Zone IC details:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2641/Basic_instruction_manual_Tri_Zone.pdf

You may be ok with 4,5 6,7 (according to THAT manual page at least).

#3 2 years ago

Boards of that era sometimes had a single combo ROM at IC14, and sometimes multiple game ROM chips at the other locations of U26, U22, U21. It's not uncommon to see multiple variations for a single title. All depends on what was available at the time. U21,U22,U26 are earlier style masked ROM chips which were being phased out at the time, the combo EPROM at U14 is the preferred option.

-Hans

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

You're missing other things... I would post a pic of the entire MPU. Multiple 40 pin ICs MPU/PIAs are missing in that pic. I'm assuming you didn't pull them or the missing interconnect pins?
    See page 5 here for Tri-Zone IC details:
    https://www.ipdb.org/files/2641/Basic_instruction_manual_Tri_Zone.pdf
    You may be ok with 4,5 6,7 (according to THAT manual page at least).

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, i did indeed pull the missing PIAs and connectors. As I mentioned the board had severe acid damage.

I will have a look at the link. Thank you.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Boards of that era sometimes had a single combo ROM at IC14, and sometimes multiple game ROM chips at the other locations of U26, U22, U21. It's not uncommon to see multiple variations for a single title. All depends on what was available at the time. U21,U22,U26 are earlier style masked ROM chips which were being phased out at the time, the combo EPROM at U14 is the preferred option.
    -Hans

So as i understand it, the game could very well have run with the pictured chip combination, but i should burn a new game rom for The IC14 slot?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phantasize:

So as i understand it, the game could very well have run with the pictured chip combination, but i should burn a new game rom for The IC14 slot?

This is the correct set up for Tri Zone mpu with Bipolar Roms the pads should be filled at IC 26 and IC 14 (install a socket at 14) to allow a secure thru hole connection

Rom at IC 14 Use:

Remove J4 and connect J3

Remove Prom's at IC 22 and IC 21

Fill in solder pads at IC 26

Install socket at IC 14

Suggest replacing socket 17 and 20

Flipper rom set: if they cannot be tested replace roms 17 and 20 along with IC 14

45ff8d53ad97800882ae55f0ca01aa6f00a6f23a (resized).jpg45ff8d53ad97800882ae55f0ca01aa6f00a6f23a (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tri-zone-missing-roms?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.