Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by amkoepfer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Im working on a tri zone for a friend and i have an issue i cant figure out. It has a rottendog williams 3,4,6 mpu driver combo in it. When you start a game, the bottom pop bumper and the left sling coils lock on until the fuse blows. I replaced the q6 and q8 transistors on the mpu (im assuming the designation is the same on the rottendog board as the original but i do not know). And it still locks on. I feel like im missing something easy and i cant figure out what it is. The gaps look good on the switches, diodes look good, etc. Any help would be great, or a schematic for that rottendog board, its the older version that doesnt include system 7. Thanks!

#3 7 years ago

Check the capacitors, diodes, and resistors for the switches that are locking on. The capacitor is what I've found to be the problem most often. Note: I'm talking about the components on the spoon switch for the pop, not the scoring switch.

If it isn't any of these it may be another component on the Rottendog board further upstream from the transistors.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks, ill swap those out. Any ideas of the values?

#5 7 years ago

Forgot, there isn't a diode as this isn't a matrixed switch.

22uF 100v cap, pay attention to the polarity
100 ohm 1/2 watt resistor

Don't need to swap them, just clip or unsolder them and see if it stops locking on. If it does, then replace.

#6 7 years ago

Thank you! Ill try that later today

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Plastics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tri-zone-coil-troubles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.