(Topic ID: 183666)

Trends in the EM pinball market

By phil-lee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

springtime 3 (resized).jpg
    DSCN5313 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5312 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5311 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5310 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5308 (resized).JPG
    Time mememe (resized).jpg
    movementlol2 (resized).png
    DSCN5302 (resized).JPG
    th (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Greed?! C'mon, son.

What else do you call it? Even freaking pps doesn't go that far.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't mind paying for schematics on paper that can be more legible than originals or weak pdf files. Especially if there is no original. He has not only Gottlieb but also other brand schematics that go back before most of us were born.

I buy them usually too, but that doesn't make it okay to take them all down and hoard them. Just look at how much harder it is to help someone fix a Gottlieb em than a Williams. You're stuck trying to walk them through basics instead of jar pulling up their Schematic

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

This age-old argument...
    It's called a business. He OWNS the rights to produce them. I know it's hard to believe these days, but you don't have the right to take whatever you want off of the internet. Luckily for PBR, it's pretty easy to keep track of GTB IP. Imagine being a musician...

He has the right to, yes, but that doesn't mean that he should. This is philosophy 101 level stuff, dude

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

It is. It's also only $16.

The price is not the issue. The issue is that limiting access to them hurts the hobby. No one complains about the price of the schematics, please stop trying to detail the topic.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well then show where else to find Gottlieb, Bally, Williams, maybe Chicago Coin, Keeney, or United schematics.

What does that have to do with it?

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I think what Zacaj is trying to say is we should have the best of both worlds: Sell print copies for the many who want them, but don't enforce the IP on schematics and allow them to be shared online freely too (especially for non-profit use like here)
    I share the same opinion. He'd still make money there - a lot of people do want the nicely printed copies and also don't want to search/request/wait. Yeah, you could just go to Staples, but I'm sure there's a lot more people that would just save the drive AND throw it in with another order.

Yep. Nowhere did I say anything about Steve providing files or anything. (although, since he had the whole database, it would be quite nice of him to send them to ipdb). Same with PPS, they don't do anything for free, they get a license fee when other companies sell their manuals. All they have to do is not go out of their way to take Manuals that other people upload down.

Quoted from mbaumle:Retro is "in" these days. I've noticed more and more friends, and friends of friends expressing interest in owning an EM. Their price point makes them way more financially tangible than later games, especially if it'd be their first or only game.

All my friends who are getting into the hobby love EMs, and I never have a problem finding a buyer for one after I've fixed it up. Surprisingly to me, they all cite the chimes as one of the main attractions, and are similarly attracted to early SS with chimes. Especially the ones that play a tune at the beginning. These are people that didn't grow up with any era of pinball, so it sometimes seems like they're less locked in to certain eras

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

You overlook all Steve Young has done for the EM hobby. He, singlehandedly, has made available so many reproduction and maintenance parts that a high percentage of games would not be as nice and viable as they are today. And you want to whine about a $16 schematic.

Again, I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE $16 SCHEMATIC. Please stop putting words in my mouth. I happily buy one for every game I own, along with a manual. I have not once complained about it, but you people keep saying I'm whining about it. I encourage anyone who owns a game to buy them. As Otaku and I have said, we're worried about other things, like what happens when/if PBR shuts down and there's no official source for them, but all the copies have been wiped off the Internet, or how much harder it is to repair games for other people when you can't just pull up a schematic, or how it's expensive and slow to order a schematic from PBR via mail order when you're in Europe. The list goes on and on. Banning electronic copies is hurting the hobby. Steve has done a lot of great stuff for the hobby, but this isn't one of them. And I doubt he's selling other parts at a loss or something just because he makes a crazy profit margin on schematics.

Quoted from MikeO:

Your age is showing. I know mine is and I respect the all that a person does as opposed to one aspect.

What are you even talking about

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

If the holder doesn't protect his marks he loses them.

And yet PPS,etc can leave them be just fine. Every time I've ever heard that line trotted out in the past it's usually followed by lawyer calling it BS.

Quoted from EMsInKC:Steve isn't hard to work with at all if you aren't an asshole. Just a thought.

He's also hard to work with if the last guy was an asshole, or you ask a a question that an asshole asked, or if you've got a question very similar to a common question but differing in one subtle but important way, etc etc.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, they would never go after anybody they thought might be infringing on the B/W licenses.
    http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Bally.html

Key word, *can*. PPS are still major assholes, but even they *can* let people put the schematics up. Eg, it's not a legal thing.

Quoted from boilerman:it is a "millennial" thing. they are entitled to everything, and everyone gets a trophy

Wow, you're stretching now eh? Also, great job reading your own stupid image.

Quoted from phil-lee:I like the Pinball Resource,they have been good to me. I ordered a lot of parts for my two Gottliebs cause I like them to be right,they all fit and were a good price,I sized the orders to get the 10% discount.I order by E-mail,they arrive quick,and I send a check.

Me too!

Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:it's thousands of signature parts that he's invested his life and profits into developing and manufacturing.

Amazing how no one is complaining about any of that

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

funny how people get their panties in a bunch over nothing.

Funny people getting worked up, says guy trying to get people worked up.

Quoted from boilerman:

it is just paper 16 bucks but no one complains about a 9.00 coffee at starbucks?

Quoted from zacaj:

Again, I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE $16 SCHEMATIC.

Quoted from boilerman:

nothing is free someone has to pay for it.

... Except for digital copies, which are free.

Quoted from o-din:They've got $10,000+ remakes to sell!

Yeah, those remakes they've totally been making since the 90s, and all through the time that they've been allowing people to distribute pdfs and roms.

Also, not what I was talking about.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Briehl:

Agree. Williams games are easy to order parts because of the manuals redily available online. Finding correct part numbers for gottlieb games is next to impossible.

Not to mention the great situation where you pick up a Gottlieb without any papers, and then try to order some parts....and a manual. Can't hard the part numbers if you haven't gotten the manual, but it's senseless to make multiple orders.

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

first thing I always do is order a set of schematics and a manual from Steve. And I do so gladly.

Quoted from phil-lee:

"You won't get it" That is,unless you pay 16 dollars.

Quoted from zacaj:

Again, WE'RE NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE $16 SCHEMATIC.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trends-in-the-em-pinball-market?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.