(Topic ID: 183666)

Trends in the EM pinball market

By phil-lee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

springtime 3 (resized).jpg
    DSCN5313 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5312 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5311 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5310 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5308 (resized).JPG
    Time mememe (resized).jpg
    movementlol2 (resized).png
    DSCN5302 (resized).JPG
    th (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I am noticing a few sell-offs lately, restored machines with a (hoped for) premium price,as well as a warehouse sale (Southern US).A lot more woodrails in nice condition, a few more 300 dollar "Specials" you didn't see 5 Months ago are showing up for sale.
    Are the collectors selling off some stock? Could be. Deceased Owners collections being quietly liquidated? Not sure. I do know the customer is better educated as to the fun factor as well as value of EM Pinball, especially from places like Pinside.
    I expect a slow to medium trickle of desirable machines to continue to hit the Market at realistic prices. I also see a struggle to maintain speculative prices on Sites like E-Bay.
    Like any Antique the hours ( and parts price) necessary to restore one to working condition plays a part,as does the amount of climate-controlled room available.
    The Buyers for these machines is shrinking if dependent upon younger people. They love to play them but do not want to invest the time necessary to learn parts numbers or techniques for repair.

#49 7 years ago

I find it interesting that a Post on the state of EM Pinball evolved into a Steve PBR discussion. Bottom line a Parts Manual should be freely available on the Web to make it easier to order.Not really concerned over schematics, I rarely use them (though I did order them and the Manual for Out Of Sight recently).
    The comments show me the precarious state further EM restoration/Re-sale lies,especially the inflated astronomical ridiculous prices some people try and sell these things for. I was going to join them until I realized it was smoke and mirrors.
    I do love playing them though! Thats all that counts really, for right now anyway.
    I just do not see Generation Z spending the time necessary to keep these things nice, forget about cost,parts availability and the learning curve necessary for what is now an obsolete/archaic form of Technology.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There are other things to worry about. Like where are the bees? Only a fraction of what usually shows up have arrived this year. Everybody should really be concerned about something like this.

Cell phone towers, GMO-ready crops- Genomic Pesticides- habitat.
    We can continue this discussion in the suitable place.

#52 7 years ago

I have a Friend with approx. 80.000.00 in HO Trains. Lifetime Collector, perfect paint schemes and decals, dozens still in boxes. He doesn't know what will come of it,no children. He just inherited another giant American Flyer collection from an older friends Estate.
    I am beginning to see EM Pinball like this example.
    It is sad but I have been in the Antique/Collectable game a long time. Generations die off and new ones are not interested in anything but that which they felt close to as children.
    Add in the complexity of repairing/maintaining these things and it gets worse.
    I do feel blessed to be able to own and play them.

#74 7 years ago

I like the Pinball Resource,they have been good to me. I ordered a lot of parts for my two Gottliebs cause I like them to be right,they all fit and were a good price,I sized the orders to get the 10% discount.I order by E-mail,they arrive quick,and I send a check.
    I looked at a 1550 dollar early-Sixties Gottlieb on E-Bay a moment ago. The back glass retained enough paint to keep the spirit of the machine, play field needed a lot of touch up,rubber rotted and cabinet shot. My fix is to clean up a machine like this and make it right mechanically. This was a 300 dollar machine,sorry.
    The fact the Owner felt emboldened to list it for this astronomical price is the end result of relentless listings from those who wish to increase sale value in the Market. I am not sure this strategy is working with most listings showing many watchers but few sales.
    Over 99% of the listings I see are for undesirable machines with issues. Most are speculative/overpriced.
    Fantasy pricing will kill the incentive for young people to enter the hobby. It will also result in more machines being parted out/destroyed.

#85 7 years ago

I just need Parts.Schematics don't have the number. The Manual has a few. Put a damn Gottlieb Parts Manual online, for EM machines. Simple. The Customer who is jacking about your Service has the right part # when they order,DUH! Help the Customer order the right part,then you can move some of that Old Stock.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

when everyone comes to the realization that everything revolves around money the better off you will be. nothing is free someone has to pay for it.

Sorry,I will never come to that realization, Thanks!

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

I am not a reprint I am a free schematic!!
    Sorry phil-lee ...it popped into my head and I couldn't resist

I saw what you did there...must be a Prisoner fan.

#92 7 years ago

The Gottlieb Manual from PBR is bragging rights. Pretty useless though,when you are restoring, though it has its moments. A Master Parts List would be much better. Oh look, they have one, 30 some bucks. Order that first.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've got one of those online parts catalogs right here. Very convenient as I have several machines covered in it. Now who am I going to order these parts from?
    http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1962/files/assets/seo/toc.html

I must admit this one Post should bring it home to everybody.Without PBR further maintenance/Restoration of EM machines will be a challenging endeavor.

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Couldn't help myself ... prisoner fans don't come along every day....last 2 people that I thought had any idea what I was talking about wound up referring to iron maiden (with no idea what it was from) lol.
    Had to throw a little humour in here.
    WE WANT INFORMATION! INFORMATION!

"You won't get it" That is,unless you pay 16 dollars.

#105 7 years ago

Pacmanretro,I always thought a "The Prisoner" re=theme would look great and may do it if I find a suitable candidate. The "Blob" that captures runaways might be difficult to do mechanically,though.
    A discussion for another time and place,though.

#109 7 years ago

Zacaj,my reply was to pacmanretro with an inside joke from "The Prisoner"
    I have no problem paying for schematics.
    I would like to see an online parts manual to assist in order Gottlieb parts.
    Perhaps everyone with an axe to grind toward a certain parts vendor can have a meeting with themselves.

#122 7 years ago

A project EM will go for 0-300 dollars
    A rare version project EM will go for 200-sky
    100-300 dollar machines will be bought and re-listed for 600-Sky.
    100-300 dollar machines re-listed for Sky languish for weeks and clog up Craigslist, despite multiple daily updates (which is against the rules and spirit of Craigslist.
    High-dollar unrealistic E-Bay listings fuel unrealistic Craigslist listings.
    Recent sell-offs of multiple machines from warehouses and private collections signal a trend of more product-less Buyers.
    I would predict artificially-inflated EM pricing is unsustainable and will crash within 10 Months.
    As far as any collector/restorer thinking they can continue in this Hobby/Business without The Pinball Resource,delusional.

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

however pinball is not ending in 30 years.

I could very well see Pinball "Ending" as a viable form of entertainment within this time period.
    Take a Tour of Dodge City Kansas,there is (or was,its been awhile since I was there) a Nickelodeon Museum. A dozen machines for the Tourist amusement.
    When the Pinball Generation leaves,the Hobby goes with them. Their intimate knowledge of the machines when they were new and on location has fueled the resurgence of interest and inspired the level of restoration uniquely created for a niche product for the past 30 years..
    Virtual will exceed mechanical, there will be no thrill from clanging chimes and banging pop bumpers with Generation Z.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trends-in-the-em-pinball-market?tu=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.