(Topic ID: 183666)

Trends in the EM pinball market

By phil-lee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

springtime 3 (resized).jpg
    DSCN5313 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5312 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5311 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5310 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5308 (resized).JPG
    Time mememe (resized).jpg
    movementlol2 (resized).png
    DSCN5302 (resized).JPG
    th (resized).jpg

There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

I like 4 roses, it's usually not priced out of the market. Only 2 Williams games I would own, 4 Roses and Rancho, different ends of the Spectrum. I do enjoy playing Teacher's Pet, but the girly pink artwork turns me off, the same reason I don't a C-37.

I don't mind the art, as long as it's attractive.

I think I like woodrail era more than later EM's, simply because if I had a woodrail era EM and like a Williams 11 system, I'd have a lot of variation between the two.

I like the little thing on 4 roses where you have to manually chamber the next ball. Not sure what that's called lol.

#152 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

I like the little thing on 4 roses where you have to manually chamber the next ball. Not sure what that's called lol

Ball lift unit is what it's called. It also has two gobble holes, no where to cradle and a nice rotating target in the middle and several strategically placed rollover buttons. Not an easy game at all, but very satisfying when you do well.

#153 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Ball lift unit is what it's called. It also has two gobble holes, no where to cradle and a nice rotating target in the middle and several strategically placed rollover buttons. Not an easy game at all, but very satisfying when you do well.

I usually don't aim for the center rotating target much. Maybe I should lol. You bring up a good point with "no where to cradle"; I dislike cradling and nudging and things that halt gameplay. Probably one of the reasons I like this game compared to some of the other EM's I have played.

Got any suggestions? I like a pretty girl or two on pins lol

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

I dislike cradling and nudging and things that halt gameplay.

Both have their place on games but no nudging on 4 Roses is asking for a serious butt kicking. That's why you set the tilt just right, so there are still no gimmes.

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

Take your pick. No shortage of pretty ladies on EM pinball machines. I'm working on a Big Deal right now that took a little while to warm up to, but has become a well played game. Short flippers and drop targets is a match made in heaven. Still a little more work to do.

If you can find a nice original example of any of them like this Big Daddy, it is always worth going and taking a look.

DSCN5308 (resized).JPGDSCN5308 (resized).JPG

DSCN5310 (resized).JPGDSCN5310 (resized).JPG

#157 6 years ago

Lady Robin Hood too.

The trend in em pinballl is it's all about the ladies.

DSCN5311 (resized).JPGDSCN5311 (resized).JPG

DSCN5312 (resized).JPGDSCN5312 (resized).JPG

DSCN5313 (resized).JPGDSCN5313 (resized).JPG

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

I usually don't aim for the center rotating target much. Maybe I should lol. You bring up a good point with "no where to cradle"; I dislike cradling and nudging and things that halt gameplay. Probably one of the reasons I like this game compared to some of the other EM's I have played.

A little risque for 1952, but this gal hiking up her dress, and her "come hither look," is one of my favorites. (Genco Springtime)

springtime 3 (resized).jpgspringtime 3 (resized).jpg

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Take your pick. No shortage of pretty ladies on EM pinball machines. I'm working on a Big Deal right now that took a little while to warm up to, but has become a well played game. Short flippers and drop targets is a match made in heaven. Still a little more work to do.
    If you can find a nice original example of any of them like this Big Daddy, it is always worth going and taking a look.

What's the first pic of? Big Deal looks different than that pic

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

What's the first pic of? Big Deal looks different than that pic

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=244

#161 6 years ago

Ohhhhh okay lol. It had pulled up http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=245 when I searched so I was all confused lol

#162 6 years ago

Yeah, I went to look at a 1963 Big Deal for sale once and when we got there it was the 1977 model. The guy didn't even know what he had. Fortunately I was able to acquire the real deal later on.

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, I went to look at a 1963 Big Deal for sale once and when we got there it was the 1977 model. The guy didn't even know what he had. Fortunately I was able to acquire the real deal later on.

Never had it happen like that (I'd certainly be disappointed), but looked at a couple online expecting the 63 when it wasn't....and what a different pinball.

#164 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Never had it happen like that (I'd certainly be disappointed), but looked at a couple online expecting the 63 when it wasn't....and what a different pinball.

Don't you have three 63 Big Deals squirreled away?

#165 6 years ago

I recently picked up a Bally 2-in-1, with a very restorable playfield and backglass that's 95% good. The main girl's face has some spotty paint loss. The cabinet, however and in my opinion, will need repainted. The cabinet has had packing tape on it to secure plastic, and paint has flaked/pulled off. It's badly faded. There's a good bit of paint flaking to the point that it looks crappy.

I know some would frown on this, but I'm thinking that when I do a thorough cleaning on the playfield and touch ups as needed, I may clear it with 2pac. I've cleared a few other playfields, so not a total newb at it. I know it alters the look and can't be undone, like how Clay says it, but I feel that with a clear coat I can a) lock in and protect the touch ups and b) take care of the slightly concave inserts, making it play well.

The game I bought is actually the one in this video - from the guy who had it before the guy I got it from

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joey_N:

I recently picked up a Bally 2-in-1, with a very restorable playfield and backglass that's 95% good. The main girl's face has some spotty paint loss. The cabinet, however and in my opinion, will need repainted. The cabinet has had packing tape on it to secure plastic, and paint has flaked/pulled off. It's badly faded. There's a good bit of paint flaking to the point that it looks crappy.
    I know some would frown on this, but I'm thinking that when I do a thorough cleaning on the playfield and touch ups as needed, I may clear it with 2pac. I've cleared a few other playfields, so not a total newb at it. I know it alters the look and can't be undone, like how Clay says it, but I feel that with a clear coat I can a) lock in and protect the touch ups and b) take care of the slightly concave inserts, making it play well.
    The game I bought is actually the one in this video - from the guy who had it before the guy I got it from
    » YouTube video

Welcome to the mid 60's Bally club - I'm glad to see more of these being picked up and actually seeing that they still EXIST. When I was researching my Star-Jet it became pretty apparent that that era of Bally pins is almost forgotten and extinct, not many Pinside linked threads (if any, rarely) on most of those games. Low production numbers and 50 years didn't seem to be as kind to them as others.

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Never had it happen like that (I'd certainly be disappointed)

It was some warehouse deal. The guy that posted the ad wasn't even the owner of the games. It was only about a half hour away.

When I saw it was the wrong Big Deal, I offered $300 for a Fun Land they had, so he got on the phone with his boss that said $350. I said no thanks and walked.

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It was some warehouse deal. The guy that posted the ad wasn't even the owner of the games. It was only about a half hour away.
    When I saw it was the wrong Big Deal, I offered $300 for a Fun Land they had, so he got on the phone with his boss that said $350. I said no thanks and walked.

Dang...I was thinking you were gonna say you got some great other deals instead or something when story started as a warehouse sale.

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Don't you have three 63 Big Deals squirreled away?

Lol. Well....

There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trends-in-the-em-pinball-market/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.