Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Grizlyrig
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Bring a game to a show?”

• Hell no! 137 votes
      57%
    • Yes it’s expected to be roughed up a little 46 votes
      19%
    • Yes 58 votes
      24%

(241 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D01C1135-A277-4873-8C08-CA02D263587B.gif
    D2A19319-8321-4175-8B19-E27D563D5ECB (resized).jpeg
    FC2059B3-3CE5-46C0-9467-09AC3F645682 (resized).png
    C4F58FA8-353E-44EE-9323-A3DEBD0FBB26 (resized).jpeg
    pinball-smash (resized).jpg
    Blank+_09a62ff6b24f5d04cc654c6f7fee3506 (resized).jpg
    9EF9C5BC-9691-4BF5-8BE4-89D7A643EE15 (resized).jpeg
    7E147BB8-8DFB-497F-B215-52A40C58CFC7 (resized).jpeg
    2 (resized).jpg
    E121FA88-73B4-4E41-A778-3AAE37354A01 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1527 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3766 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Multiballmaniac1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

I attended my first large pinball show this weekend. I have been a pinball fan since 2008. I got in and out of pinball collecting since then. I will cut right to the topic now. I was appalled by the treatment of pinball machines in all areas of the show (vendor area, free play, and special game room). I witnessed some things that made me literally cringe. Now it always takes a few to ruin it for everyone that’s just the way the world is, but some people’s actions were uncalled for. I won’t go into too many specific details, but I will mention a few.

I saw a Batman 66 get lifted on its side two legs and get shaked vigorously because a ball was stuck. All I could think of is a cracked cabinet.

I saw nudging that was more on the lines of thrashing.

I saw an attack from mars get slammed up and down due to a ball that was stuck.

Now I just want to say to the vendors and people who bring games I can’t thank you enough for bringing them. I played many games I always wanted to and never have before. Not everyone was harsh on them.

I think alcohol fueled a little of the thrashing at show. Just my observation.

Common sense is these aren’t your games to thrash, just play them like normal

I also included a poll here.

Thanks for your comments.

Happy flipping and stay cool.

Multiballmaniac1

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

I’ve seen someone pick a machine up from under the front of the cab, lift it about a foot off the ground off it’s legs and drop it after draining ball 3. I was appalled...

I believe it now.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

I saw someone nudging the hell out of the Iron Maiden. He was mashing the flipper buttons so hard I'm surprised they still work. I told my friend I can't imagine bringing one of my games to this let alone something rare or brand new.

I saw that too. Not just once, but multiple times throughout.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I was just chatting with another show organizer....perhaps a vendor/sponsor, could create a "how to behave video", that also serves as a corporate reminder (commercial) and it can be shared across all shows.....

I thought about this exact idea. It should be implemented. You miss behave and bye bye.....

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

I've been to around seven conventions now and I can't ever recall seeing a game abused. If anything, having a game on location with a lot of tournament players around is likely worse for a machine, as we actively nudge and shake. The general public is probably a lot less likely to set off a tilt sensor than I am.

Quoted from jp1985:

I saw someone nudging the hell out of the Iron Maiden. He was mashing the flipper buttons so hard I'm surprised they still work. I told my friend I can't imagine bringing one of my games to this let alone something rare or brand new.

The producer of show told me many of the new games would be for sale for about 400 to 500 off price after show, no way in hell would I buy one. Just get a nib. Maybe 1k off price? Like is said with no exaggeration games were getting freaking thrashed.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Outlanes:

I was blown away how some people behaved this weekend with others games.
    One person said to me that a solid shove would have saved my ball, I replied that I was aware but I don't manhandle other peoples machines. He was blown away at that response.

Yup. Sounds right.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep, sounds like it.

Sounds like what. You’re just jealous you didn’t smell all the farts being laid.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"a solid shove" to save a ball is not abuse.
    Smacking the sides of a game during play isn't abuse.
    Shaking a game to free a stuck ball isn't abuse.
    None of the above is going to cause any damage to a game.
    You know abuse when you see it. At a show I don't think you should be lifting a game off it's feet, or shaking a game so hard the backbox rattles back and forth. I didn't see ANY behavior all weekend in tournament or free play areas that would qualify as this kind of abuse.

Well Levi I witnessed pure abuse plain and simple. Watching attack from mars in the EBL get lifted and slammed was abuse. I am still having nightmares.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Gonna be a rough ride for you in this hobby.

Hahahaha. Isn’t life a rough ride. Cancer, death, murder, war

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do your part. If I saw something like that I'd say "hey man, that's a little much." Most people would get the hint.

You’re right. I will fully admit. I should have said something. Next time I will be. Thanks
    Maybe next year I will volunteer to just walk around and keep an eye on things. Not be a dick, just let people know hey go easy please.

1 week later
    #190 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Big deal. Some guy in this thread had a guy SWEAT on his game. The humanity!

He had Ebola though.

11 months later
    #237 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

That was probably Multiballmaniac i bet. He's from Massachusetts.

Bhahaha hahah. Hahahaha. Lmao.

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Bhahaha hahah. Hahahaha. Lmao.

I Don’t know where you heard the show stories from, but this year I did not see any abuse at all. I did smell some funk here and there, but I think that’s normal. The vendor area and tournament area was hot in the afternoon, I even was getting too warm.

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

We greatly increased awareness of staff and security this year thought out the free play room and vendor hall. Repair team members were wearing red vests and security orange vests. I think this helped keep people honest that we are watching. Passing gas is a natural occurrence and there is nothing you can do about it.

The repair teams in the vests were excellent. I let them know of several balls being stuck on games and they were right on it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Multiballmaniac1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/treatment-of-games-at-pinball-show-by-some-attendees-?tu=Multiballmaniac1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.