Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Grizlyrig
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Bring a game to a show?”

• Hell no! 137 votes
      57%
    • Yes it’s expected to be roughed up a little 46 votes
      19%
    • Yes 58 votes
      24%

(241 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D01C1135-A277-4873-8C08-CA02D263587B.gif
    D2A19319-8321-4175-8B19-E27D563D5ECB (resized).jpeg
    FC2059B3-3CE5-46C0-9467-09AC3F645682 (resized).png
    C4F58FA8-353E-44EE-9323-A3DEBD0FBB26 (resized).jpeg
    pinball-smash (resized).jpg
    Blank+_09a62ff6b24f5d04cc654c6f7fee3506 (resized).jpg
    9EF9C5BC-9691-4BF5-8BE4-89D7A643EE15 (resized).jpeg
    7E147BB8-8DFB-497F-B215-52A40C58CFC7 (resized).jpeg
    2 (resized).jpg
    E121FA88-73B4-4E41-A778-3AAE37354A01 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1527 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3766 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Colsond3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#155 5 years ago

There are assholes everywhere you go…pin shows, at the grocery store, Disneyland, even my office. As others have said, fortunately they are usually the minority. A handful of people that are abusive can’t ruin it for everyone…I find kicking them in the back of the knee while they are playing will make them walk away from the game they are abusing.

This thread actually made me chuckle. I was hauling pins to the show for others, so unfortunately didn’t have room to bring one of my own for free play. But all of this talk did make me remember Pinfest.

I took my restored Vampire (well, 85% restored). The amount of people that told me I was “stupid for bringing it” or that were surprised I did made me laugh. I remember telling a few of them, “I did all of this work, and am I supposed to just leave it at home to stare at it?” I wanted other people to enjoy it and see the work I had done. The game plays awesome, and there are always a ton of EM’s at shows that just play like crap.

During the three days it was there, somebody was nice enough to keep playing with one of the pop skirts locked down, melted the spoon a little and almost burnt out the coil. No big deal, and this is a game with all brand new parts. I lifted the playfield, took it apart and fixed it. Game was back up and running in 5 minutes.

A few people were a little abusive on it, and I was more than happy to say something to them. The game came home with a few minor scratches, but nothing to sulk over. I was glad to let people enjoy it, and plan on taking it to York as well.

At Pintastic, I saw a couple people doing some stupid things on games, and I didn’t hesitate to say something to them, even though it wasn’t my game. That’s all we have to do.

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

colsond3 Your Vampire pin sounds great and from the pictures you posted here in another thread it looks great. I have never played the pin or even seen it anymhere I have went. But you to share the pin states to your character and commitment to the hobby and you help to make this a hobby that others may want to start or even comeover to the EM side.

Thanks man...maybe you’ll make it out to one of the NE shows and throw a few games up on it. It’s definitely not a game you see often, or at many shows.

I will say, at Pinfest a few times when people were being rough with it, I did turn it off for 10 or 20 minutes. It was funny, because one guy was shaking it pretty rough to avoid the outlane drain over and over, so this happened after the second time he did it:

Me: Oh wow. Is that your game?
    Him: Nope...but it’s friggin nice.
    Me: It is nice and it’s mine...so stop fuckin shaking it like that.

He walked away and I didn’t see him again.

1 week later
    #170 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Nothing at the time and slink off to Pinside and complain behind their backs?

Here’s some help for when you make it out to the show next year. #stoppinabuse

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I guess the truce expired and we get another thread about people who think pinball machines are trailer queens meant to be handled like pieces of crystal.

I think that is a bit extreme...it’s not about what they are built to tolerate, it’s simply about respecting someone else’s property.

Nobody has a problem with nudging, etc. It’s people lifting up and dropping games, sliding them across the floor, carving their initials into the side, and being overly abusive.

And as Odin pointed out, let’s be honest: older solid-state and EM games are built like damn tanks, whereby newer games are built like total shit and cheaply (and some complete with OOF manufacturing defects that make them even more prone to damage).

Do I expect a game on location for three years being played by God knows who to get some abuse and have some damage? I sure do.

Do I expect a game I bring to a two or three day pinball show to come home with significant damage or in need of serious repairs? I shouldn’t.

We can all enjoy other people’s games and be respectful at the same time. It’s really not that hard. Nobody is saying the games shouldn’t be played the way they were meant to be played.

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes, we've all seen Bowen do it 1000 times in videos and everyone loves it.

Quoted from poppapin:

Just watched that video and don't think it was abuse. Machine would have tilted, working as it should.

It was sarcasm...someone kicking the front of a machine to perform a death save would be a different story.

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

People perceiving being rough with a game is the issue here. No one is coming home with significant damage.

And that is perception, as Mike said.

Tell that to the guy at the York show three years ago that brought his game home with the leg bolt receiver and the cabinet ripped apart from someone that was dragging the game sideways to make a save. I think that constitutes significant damage, so it does happen.

And there is also a difference with a totally restored game or brand new, versus an old players condition game.

#184 5 years ago

Little did that guy know that when the ball gets stuck, you can just remove the glass.

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Ergo the problem... the majority of the new blood has a completely distorted view of what that is. People thinking a slap save is abuse... people thinking a slide (that doesn't bite in) is abuse... or people thinking chimp flipping is going to ruin their game.

I agree with most of what you said. I have brought a ton of games to tournaments and events as well, and my experience has been mostly good.

And when someone is at my place playing my games with kid gloves, I’m the first to tell them, “go ahead, give it a nudge or shake it a little. You’re not going to hurt it.“

But chimp flipping is just plain annoying. It serves no purpose in gameplay and there is no need for it. It puts unnecessary wear on your coils and switches, which I certainly don’t feel like rebuilding right after a show because some moron felt the need to just keep aimlessly whacking the flippers over and over again.

Quoted from roffels:

What's wrong with sliding the game?

On a crappy condition players game, nothing. If that’s your thing.

Flipper buttons are there for a reason, and games wouldn’t have a tilt bob if they were meant to be slid 3 feet across the floor. When you tilt a game, that means you did something outside of how it is supposed to be played. It isn’t a prize, it’s a penalty.

If you like sliding games, go play a bingo or a flipperless machine.

And the reality is some people think they “work on games” because they change some bulbs and rubbers in a few hours.

When I spend a good amount of money and 100+ hours restoring a game…yeah, I don’t want someone roughly shaking or sliding it around. I don’t really give a shit what someone else thinks is “acceptable”.

I play my games all the time and put up high scores, with some nudging, but without doing all the stupid crap I watch other people do.

I’m not playing for the IFPA championship title every time I toggle a game on. Neither is anybody else.

#189 5 years ago

C4F58FA8-353E-44EE-9323-A3DEBD0FBB26 (resized).jpegC4F58FA8-353E-44EE-9323-A3DEBD0FBB26 (resized).jpeg
    #192 5 years ago
    D2A19319-8321-4175-8B19-E27D563D5ECB (resized).jpegD2A19319-8321-4175-8B19-E27D563D5ECB (resized).jpeg
    #196 5 years ago

I can agree with that post. As Flynn said above, I think the real issue is some people are considering some things abuse that are just laughable. Somebody putting a drink on a game glass isn’t the end of the world, but if they spill the drink on the glass, that could be very problematic.

I think we all know what being way too rough with a game actually means, and that is really all I am really concerned with.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

there, if you are concerned with specific types of handling, you should be willing to supervise your games. I think it would be a unanimous conclusion that taking a hammer to someones games would be abuse, but a lot of folks don't consider lifting, sliding, shaking or hammering flipper buttons as abuse to a commercial pinball machine. If you do, you'll need to spell it out ahead of time at the location, or don't bother bringing your game.

I didn’t start the thread, just commenting on what others have wrote, and throwing out some of my experiences & observations.

I do take players condition and my nice games to shows and all over the place. Have even rented them out for events. I do supervise my games and have no problem telling someone if I think they are doing something inappropriate, or I just don’t like. I will let people do whatever they want most of the time.

The guy I said something to at Pinfest, in my story above, was literally shaking the thing so hard that the BG was rattling and the backbox itself was actually moving flimsily. And yes, the bolts were tightened. Unless he can tell me where to buy a new Vampire backglass, he ain’t fucking shaking my game like that just for the risk alone.

And I would never not take my games, even restored ones, to shows. For every 30 people that enjoy it, there’s one asshole. I’m OK with that statistic. I just hope I’m in proximity to the game when the asshole happens to be playing.

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

That video trick looks like cheating to me. If the ball is in the out lane...ball over deal with it. Hell why not just break the glass and grab the ball and throw it back on the playfield.

Well, that depends. Did they tell me beforehand that it was not OK to break the glass and throw the ball back onto the playfield?

The death save is cheating. Not permitted in tournaments for that reason. And if somebody feels the need to do that to beat my score, so be it.

11 months later
    #233 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

My wife had walked away from a line due to someone that seriously smelled like they shit themselves and they just kept playing like nothing was wrong.

God bless ya Mike...I’m laughing my ass off at that post. Rough day...I needed that.

Good to see you at the show, even though it was only for a few minutes.

#235 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have several friends in Massachusetts actually, and no im not trying to stir the pot "again."

This is what I imagine you doing while reading your post.
    D01C1135-A277-4873-8C08-CA02D263587B.gifD01C1135-A277-4873-8C08-CA02D263587B.gif

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Passing gas is a natural occurrence and there is nothing you can do abut it.

Maybe see a gastroenterologist? Lactaid pills? Haha. Just bustin chops Whodey and Gabe.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Colsond3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/treatment-of-games-at-pinball-show-by-some-attendees-?tu=Colsond3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.