Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Grizlyrig
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Bring a game to a show?”

• Hell no! 137 votes
      57%
    • Yes it’s expected to be roughed up a little 46 votes
      19%
    • Yes 58 votes
      24%

(241 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D01C1135-A277-4873-8C08-CA02D263587B.gif
    D2A19319-8321-4175-8B19-E27D563D5ECB (resized).jpeg
    FC2059B3-3CE5-46C0-9467-09AC3F645682 (resized).png
    C4F58FA8-353E-44EE-9323-A3DEBD0FBB26 (resized).jpeg
    pinball-smash (resized).jpg
    Blank+_09a62ff6b24f5d04cc654c6f7fee3506 (resized).jpg
    9EF9C5BC-9691-4BF5-8BE4-89D7A643EE15 (resized).jpeg
    7E147BB8-8DFB-497F-B215-52A40C58CFC7 (resized).jpeg
    2 (resized).jpg
    E121FA88-73B4-4E41-A778-3AAE37354A01 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1527 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3766 (resized).JPG
    There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No one has ever been that exciting aboot an NBA

I have to agree, it was mainly brought to the show to sell. This guy seemed to be quite excited about it though.

#202 5 years ago

This really comes down to how the owner of a machine wants his machine treated. Some people want their machines taken care of, some don't mind rough shakes and nudges.

It's like when you go to someone's house and they want you to take off your shoes before stepping on the carpet. Ok, it's their house. Do you argue that carpet can handle shoes and can be cleaned?

Problem is when we walk up to a machine we don't know how that particular owner feels about this argument so it's best to play it safe and not overdue it.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

It's like when you go to someone's house and they want you to take off your shoes before stepping on the carpet. Ok, it's their house. Do you argue that carpet can handle shoes and can be cleaned?

That depends, did they notify me beforehand to take my shoes off, or are they already scolding me because I walked in with shoes on? ...If I hard nudged into a tilt and you gave me a dirty look, but you never told me your expectations, I'm going to tell you to chill out because the game can handle it.

Quoted from Raegor:

Problem is when we walk up to a machine we don't know how that particular owner feels about this argument so it's best to play it safe and not overdue it.

One persons definition of overdoing might not be the same as another persons.

#204 5 years ago

That video trick looks like cheating to me. If the ball is in the out lane...ball over deal with it. Hell why not just break the glass and grab the ball and throw it back on the playfield.

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

That video trick looks like cheating to me. If the ball is in the out lane...ball over deal with it. Hell why not just break the glass and grab the ball and throw it back on the playfield.

Well, that depends. Did they tell me beforehand that it was not OK to break the glass and throw the ball back onto the playfield?

The death save is cheating. Not permitted in tournaments for that reason. And if somebody feels the need to do that to beat my score, so be it.

#206 5 years ago

Just one of the reasons you will never see any of may games brought to any kind of event.

But then in all honesty, I don't think there are any events where I live, and my games are not the popular, so I guess I don't have anything to worry about

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Just one of the reasons you will never see any of may games brought to any kind of event.

Boo fucking whom.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

But then in all honesty, I don't think there are any events where I live, and my games are not the popular, so I guess I don't have anything to worry about

My favorite game at Pinfest was TX-Sector. Games don't have to be popular to be fun at a show.

Quoted from timab2000:

99% of the crap here is crap when it relates to machine abuse at a show. Yes, there are some bad apples, but , they are few and far between. I was at the same show as the OP, and I didn't witness any game abuse. I did see someone slap a bit too hard trying to free a stuck ball, but that can be handled quickly.
    For the most part, people are very respectful of the games at shows. And most of the time, if you bring a good game, people are thrilled to have the opportunity to play it.

#209 5 years ago

Machines take far worse of a beating in the back of a truck going from location to location. The death save isn't going to do squat for damage.

#210 5 years ago

I'll death save on my own machines. I'll be respectful to others games and not do it unless they give the ok. It's just called being a respectful human and really everyone at these shows is besides a freak outlier here and there between all the shows.

#211 5 years ago

From my experiences most people are kind to games/surroundings UNLESS, they feel they got cheated/frustrated by it. Maybe something else is wrong in their life or trying to impress friends so they mess your stuff up (rare, but it does happen). Especially in places where people aren't watching like the restrooms.
    In the past year I've replaced 2 urinals and one toilet because some dumbass smashed them (usually with a mug). Always the mens room, women usually just draw penises on the wall or something, thanks ladies .

Shows are pretty much the same, the exception is your game see's a lot more play in a shorter amount of time. That and Tilts don't really punish the person playing (financially speaking) for being rough, since they are on free play. I'm always surprised at the amount of machines that aren't even close to being leveled at shows. It's a fundamental thing, why would you go through the trouble of bringing a game to set it up like shit? (maybe so no-one plays it?... kind of defeats the purpose, unless you can't afford the discount price for bringing a game.)

spend a little time beforehand seeking out and fixing ball traps. You might not find them all, but at least you can minimize the chances of abuse for that reason.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Boo fucking whom.

I think it's Boo Hoo, not whom. Come on get it right.

#213 5 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

In the past year I've replaced 2 urinals and one toilet because some dumbass smashed them (usually with a mug).

It wasn't a mug... I was just performing a death save at the urinal and things got out of hand. . .

#214 5 years ago

I think the best thing I’ve read in here is do your part. I’m thinking of having jerk signs up like at sporting events so that if you don’t want to confront the person you don’t have to. Also a sign at the entrance with the rules of the show and legal mumbo jumbo. Then signs on every game that go a bit like this:

1. Only play multiplayer games if you have multiple players.

2. Always look behind you after a game to make sure no one is waiting. Then play again.

3. Respect the games and other pinheads. No food or drinks on the games or other pinheads

If nothing else it’s CYA if you have to kick someone out.

#215 5 years ago

I've organized the repair team at the last 3 Pintastic shows, and spent the majority of the time from 8am to midnight in the free play room. While I certainly didn't see everything that happened at the show, the majority of the offenses I did see were folks sitting drinks on the playfield glass (I think a lot of this happens later in the day as the booze starts flowing more freely). This is where we rely on the attendees to inform the show staff of abuse - the phrase "If you see something, say something" is very appropriate.

I know it can be hard to see staff members in the sea of attendees, and next year I'll push for brightly-colored fluorescent vests for the repair team. The current rules poster at the entrance is also WAY too lengthy, and we'll work to condense that - and have more informational notices on display.

Let me also throw something out to everyone who lives in the area where a show is hosted: There's always significantly more work than volunteers (and volunteer hours) available; consider volunteering at your local show, and there will be more eyes to watch over the games and help police bad behavior.

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

It wasn't a mug... I was just performing a death save at the urinal and things got out of hand. . .

, pretty good.

#217 5 years ago

I've seen way more drinks spilled in people's hands onto games and everything else... then drinks spilled on glass that have caused a problem.

The last drink problem we had.. someone put an open beer INSIDE the game... without anyone knowing. That caused a problem.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I've seen way more drinks spilled in people's hands onto games and everything else... then drinks spilled on glass that have caused a problem.
    The last drink problem we had.. someone put an open beer INSIDE the game... without anyone knowing. That caused a problem.

See Vids guide. Other than that, lock the coin door....sheesh.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-beer-seal-vids-guide

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I'll death save on my own machines. I'll be respectful to others games and not do it unless they give the ok. It's just called being a respectful human and really everyone at these shows is besides a freak outlier here and there between all the shows.

I think it is time for me to get my LOTR out of your house.

#220 5 years ago

I think most people here that say "THATS why I'll never take my game to a show.." Would never take their game to a show anyway.
    And wouldn't take a game anywhere to be enjoyed by the public, they just don't want to, or don't feel the need to share.
    Not that there's anything wrong w that, but don't try to use these very rare examples as an excuse, you wouldn't do it anyway.
    And Bravo! to the people that do!!

11 months later
    #221 4 years ago

I heard there was lots of crop dusting going on this year at the Massachusetts show and some very stinky people that needed to bathe. Heard there was some rough treatment of games going on as well.

#222 4 years ago

Introducing new at Pincinnati this year! Crop dust sensors at the end of each row that automatically disperse NIB cologne over the whole row if triggered.

You’re welcome.

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Introducing new at Pincinnati this year! Crop dust sensors at the end of each row that automatically disperse NIB cologne over the whole row if triggered.
    You’re welcome.

Honestly the goodie bag you get at any show registration should include a mini bottle of hand sanitizer, a bar of soap, and a deodorant stick. Some instructions wouldn't hurt either.

#224 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Honestly the goodie bag you get at any show registration should include a mini bottle of hand sanitizer, a bar of soap, and a deodorant stick. Some instructions wouldn't hurt either.

All that is a waste of time. Just need to cross fingers and hope for the best. Keep the gamefloor at a cool 68 degrees and that’s the best you can do.

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’re welcome.

I never experienced any nasty people or crop dusting at Pincinnati at all. I think us folks in the greater Cincinnati area are exceptionally clean folks with good morals. If there was any crop dusting going on or any stinky people they were probably out of towners would be my guess.

#226 4 years ago

I must say that with as many people that went to Pintastic, I only came in contact with maybe 5 or 6 that forgot to shower. All and all that's not that bad.
    My wife had walked away from a line due to someone that seriously smelled like they shit themselves and they just kept playing like nothing was wrong.
    -Mike

#227 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I heard there was lots of crop dusting going on this year at the Massachusetts show and some very stinky people that needed to bathe. Heard there was some rough treatment of games going on as well.

What is it about pinball that attracts these sub-humans?

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I never experienced any nasty people or crop dusting at Pincinnati at all.

It has existed for exactly one year. Give it time. Haha. But like I said, we got it covered.

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

My wife had walked away from a line due to someone that seriously smelled like they shit themselves and they just kept playing like nothing was wrong.

That was probably Multiballmaniac i bet. He's from Massachusetts.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Hauling games around in the summertime can be sweaty work. I didn't see or hear about any game abuse.

I didn't really notice any problems--who are you hearing this from? Are you just trying to stir the pot again?

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Heard from whom? I worked in the Pintastic free play room for 12 hours on Thursday, 16 hours on Friday, and about 12 hours on Saturday, and did not witness any significant rough treatment of games. And this year I only had to ask a handful of people to remove drinks from the games they were playing.

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Hauling games around in the summertime can be sweaty work. I didn't see or hear about any game abuse.
    I didn't really notice any problems--who are you hearing this from? Are you just trying to stir the pot again?

I have several friends in Massachusetts actually, and no im not trying to stir the pot "again." God forbid someone try and have a little fun and laugh on here though. We wouldn't want anything like that to happen would we? I'm not saying the show was bad or anything so calm.down. I heard lots of great things about the show as well as the little bit of bad that i heard. Im sure every show has these things probably.

#233 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

God bless ya Mike...I’m laughing my ass off at that post. Rough day...I needed that.

Good to see you at the show, even though it was only for a few minutes.

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

God bless ya Mike...I’m laughing my ass off at that post. Rough day...I needed that.

Yeah that was hilarious for sure. Post of the day easily!

#235 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have several friends in Massachusetts actually, and no im not trying to stir the pot "again."

This is what I imagine you doing while reading your post.
    D01C1135-A277-4873-8C08-CA02D263587B.gifD01C1135-A277-4873-8C08-CA02D263587B.gif

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I must say that with as many people that went to Pintastic, I only came in contact with maybe 5 or 6 that forgot to shower. All and all that's not that bad.
    -Mike

I had a run in with the smell of fresh shit on the floor. The thing that really bothered me was a bunch of the games having 3-4 players queued up on each machine. There almost needs to be a staff member to walk every row to reset the machines. Some people are unaware they are playing 4 games at once.

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

That was probably Multiballmaniac i bet. He's from Massachusetts.

Bhahaha hahah. Hahahaha. Lmao.

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Bhahaha hahah. Hahahaha. Lmao.

I Don’t know where you heard the show stories from, but this year I did not see any abuse at all. I did smell some funk here and there, but I think that’s normal. The vendor area and tournament area was hot in the afternoon, I even was getting too warm.

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

This is what I imagine you doing while reading your post.
    [quoted image]

No not me Colsond. I never joke around about things ever. I like to be dead serious all the time and not have any fun. Laughing and cutting up with people just sucks and thats only for people who actually enjoy life.

With that being said though Mike really gave me a good chuckle so resurrecting this thread was worth it just for his post alone! Rumor has it that Multiballmaniac guy is a big Stern fanboy and he likes to walk down the non Stern aisles and just crop dust the hell out of them and laugh like crazy as he walks away leaving a big green cloud behind him!

Stern Fanboys are the worst!

#240 4 years ago

We greatly increased awareness of staff and security this year thought out the free play room and vendor hall. Repair team members were wearing red vests and security orange vests. I think this helped keep people honest that we are watching. Passing gas is a natural occurrence and there is nothing you can do about it.

#241 4 years ago

ill pass gas to make the line shorter for wonka

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Passing gas is a natural occurrence and there is nothing you can do abut it.

Maybe see a gastroenterologist? Lactaid pills? Haha. Just bustin chops Whodey and Gabe.

#243 4 years ago

They actually make charcoal activated fart filtering underwear. Maybe Joe pinball Star can have some made with his logo on them, and then hand those out instead of tote bags?

#244 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

They actually make charcoal activated fart filtering underwear. Maybe Joe Pinball Star can have some made with his logo on them, and then hand those out instead of tote bags?

Ewwww......

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

See Vids guide. Other than that, lock the coin door....sheesh.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-beer-seal-vids-guide

It was during setup...

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

We greatly increased awareness of staff and security this year thought out the free play room and vendor hall. Repair team members were wearing red vests and security orange vests. I think this helped keep people honest that we are watching. Passing gas is a natural occurrence and there is nothing you can do about it.

The repair teams in the vests were excellent. I let them know of several balls being stuck on games and they were right on it.

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

We should of played a few rounds on that Metroid together while no one was around.
    -Mike

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/treatment-of-games-at-pinball-show-by-some-attendees-/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.